Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

Does anyone have any information accuracy and appropriateness of the Weymouth & District livery wagon. I just received one and would like to know if I should leave a vestige of this livery or trash it completely in the process of modelling a postwar-pre BR condition POW.

I couldn't find Weymouth & District in any of the indexes listed previously in this thread. 

thanks

I bought a Weymouth and District Co-operative Society wagon as Weymouth is close to the Swanage Railway which I am modelling. I am very pleased with it for value for money, running quality, detail and appearance. I also prefer the packaging to the Oxford Vehicles which are attached to the box with screws which are sometimes too tight to undo. It is likely that the livery is based on a real wagon but I think from reading previous posts that the livery was applied to an earlier wagon in real life. It has not affected the sales because the Oxfordrail wagons have sold very well locally.

post-17621-0-39919100-1446142533_thumb.jpg

First post on this thread, which I must admit I haven't read through yet, but another member suggested I post this as a warning.

I bought a few (3) wagons, really just to see what they are like. My first problem was that in pulling out the Bachmann style couplings to add Kadees I knocked off a buffer head from two of them, and an end strapping which didn't seem to have been glued on. All handleable, but not what I expect.

Then I set out to weather them. I have just got hold of some Humbrol enamel washes, and Humbrol reckon to give the model a coat of gloss varnish first, which I did, with this result:

post-17799-0-77666600-1446472475_thumb.jpg

There may have been something wrong with the varnish, which was acrylic and fresh, or my application of it (you can see that it produced a sort of bloom, which I associate with spraying in humid conditions) but the printing has seemingly melted and sagged. Which is a worry.

I previously used a satin acrylic varnish on another example and it was fine.

But why are the tyres white?

Wheel tyres are white as they were usually painted white when they were officially photographed. And as most PO wagon liveries are taken from the official photographs then it becomes common for models to also have white tyres. So it is prototypical, but it wouldn't have lasted very long in service.

Can't help with the varnish problem as I've never used acrylics. Thanks for the heads up though.

Jason

First post on this thread, which I must admit I haven't read through yet, but another member suggested I post this as a warning.

I bought a few (3) wagons, really just to see what they are like. My first problem was that in pulling out the Bachmann style couplings to add Kadees I knocked off a buffer head from two of them, and an end strapping which didn't seem to have been glued on. All handleable, but not what I expect.

Then I set out to weather them. I have just got hold of some Humbrol enamel washes, and Humbrol reckon to give the model a coat of gloss varnish first, which I did, with this result:

attachicon.gifIMG_0586.jpg

There may have been something wrong with the varnish, which was acrylic and fresh, or my application of it (you can see that it produced a sort of bloom, which I associate with spraying in humid conditions) but the printing has seemingly melted and sagged. Which is a worry.

I previously used a satin acrylic varnish on another example and it was fine.

But why are the tyres white? 

Strange.  The extreme weathering and plank replacement I did in post 241 above was done with Tamiya acrylics. The only pre-prep was to take a small wire brush and distress the wood surfaces before painting the replacement boards and then using light washes of diluted grey color to lighten and dust.  I did follow up with a dilute grey black (German Grey) to highlight.  The interior was initially done with the German grey and then lightened with the light grey and a further German grey wash.  White tyres immediately painted out. 

Acrylic satin varnishes? I don't think I would use one directly on the original paint.

With the mismatched to prototype Weymouth and District livery referred to above I will be turning it into an unrecognizable well worn wagon with aged wood and indecipherable ownership. I model 1947 and the condition was pretty bad for many wagons that were pooled and never returned to pre-war ownership.

Wheel tyres are white as they were usually painted white when they were officially photographed. And as most PO wagon liveries are taken from the official photographs then it becomes common for models to also have white tyres. So it is prototypical, but it wouldn't have lasted very long in service.

I was always led to believe that the white tyres were to aid spotting cracks in the wheel early as they would show up better against the white than against rust.

• RMweb Gold

Here's my take on the Weymouth Co-op wagon in post-war 1947 condition. All weathering completed with Valejo acrylic paints applied to a distressed surface:

blogentry-7584-0-73469500-1446559969_thu

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I've had a nasty reaction between Humbrol acrylic varnish (aerosol) and Phoenix paint. I find the best thing to use as a barrier and gloss coat is Johnsons Klear, mine is the original formula from many years ago.

There is a picture of several Weymouth CO-OP wagons in one of the Great Western Journals in an article on Dorchester. Not sure which issue number.

I have only found one of the Weymouth wagons and according to Peter's Spares, it has already been deleted from the Oxford list. Get them while you can.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

There is a picture of several Weymouth CO-OP wagons in one of the Great Western Journals in an article on Dorchester. Not sure which issue number.

I have only found one of the Weymouth wagons and according to Peter's Spares, it has already been deleted from the Oxford list. Get them while you can.

Mike Wiltshire

Hopefully Oxford will follow the same practice as with their diecasts, if a model prooves popular and sells out quickly another batch is produced later. When they will be produced depends on when they can be fitted into the production schedules, the diecasts usually reappear in the catalogue, best to keep your eyes peeled.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks. I have GWRJ going back to #4 somewhere buried around here.

• RMweb Premium

I bought the Weymouth Co-op and Coventry Collieries wagons the other day when I picked up my S15. As I am (in theory) working towards a Weymouth based layout I may keep the former fairly clean. I started weathering the Coventry wagon by removing the capping strip clips and rubbing down the lettering with fine wet-&-dry to give a well-worn look, then dry brushing the woodwork with light grey. Both processes showed up the fact that the planking is slightly uneven, as the surface is not absolutely flat but some planks (3rd and fifth from top) are very slightly proud of the others, an effect that may not be noticed on unweathered examples. It's an effect I haven't noticed on any other wagons, RTR or kit. That's as far as I've got so far.

post-4634-0-56254700-1447011719_thumb.jpg

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone taken these apart yet? With the Bachmann PO Wagons the 'chassis' drops out of the solebars complete with W irons and brake gear. This makes converting to a Compensated P4 wagon easy - is the Oxford Rail range similar?

Tony

On one of mine the NEM pockets drop off the chassis just like that. I'm sure that's not supposed to happen.

The Arley one should have a raised and rounded fixed end, Private Owner Wagons, vol 4 Bill Hudson.

And grease axleboxes!  However Arley was a big colliery so the fleet should have been 200+ wagons and with a replacement programme of older wagons (not yet the one in the Hudson Photo), so a little re-numbering and this oxford Rail (rather oddly 'strapped' ) RCH 1923 wagon is not too much incorrect.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Don't get me wrong, the wagons are great value compared with Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol. Remove the post war bits, repaint and some POWsides transfers and you can build up a good fleet of unusual prototypes and it will still come in cheaper than the other three or kits for that matter.

• RMweb Premium

I finished weathering the Coventry wagon.

post-4634-0-51506600-1448797632_thumb.jpg

I bought 2 more Weymouth wagons at the Millbrook show, renumbered them and weathered the trio to a matching degree, as three of a batch delivered together and relatively new, for the pre-pooling era.

I have the Powsides transfers for 2 earlier numbers, which will go on RCH 1907 wagons when I build them, to add variety to the fleet.

Pete

post-4634-0-67880100-1448797847_thumb.jpg

Archived