• RMweb Gold

Wow thanks for the link Jonny.

I think it underlines my original reason of why I'm posting my slides rather than them sat in files collecting dust. Sure the reason I've bought them was to eventually write my own books, but work dictates I can't do that at the moment.

I've always been tied to the blue- black plate dogma for warships, and it wasn't right. I was unconvinced regarding Westerns - but who knows what photos are out there yet to see the light of day.

Neil

Yes Neil, I agree.

What worries me the most, is the photos that might be out there but will never see the light of day because when their owner passes away they are destined for the skip because relatives have no idea of their worth.

Thanks for the links to Robert's pics Neil - however I'm still not convinced the plates on 1004 or 1029 were ever red when in blue livery - I have thousands of bought / borrowed / begged / found images of 1000s with faded black plates which show the hand applied paint literally scrubbed off by the carriage washing plants at Kensal Green, Malago Vale and Laira, and they all look the same or similar to Robert's pics of 1004 and 1029. Plus I remember seeing both of them in the flesh several times between 1973 and withdrawal and in both cases could see bare metal where the black paint used to be! 1057 was also particularly bad for this with all four plates having very little black paint left towards the end.  

818 was a fairly well known exeption to the rule as far as Warships went - I have the Ex-Rail colour print of it with red plates and to my eyes it looks very odd!

As you say though, we'll never know for sure unless good photographic proof turns up... ;)

Just a "quickie".

This is Highflyer in green livery at Teignmouth on 6th June 1968 - the day Bobby Kennedy died.

I thought 1C45 was the down Cornish Riveria, but it looks to me that only the one loco is hauling the train. It appears there's someone with their head out of the window in the coach behind. This was the period of double-headed Warships on the West of England line.

Can anyone confirm that 1C45 is indeed the Cornish Riveria?

post-6880-0-01548900-1423918027.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a "quickie".

This is Highflyer in green livery at Teignmouth on 6th June 1968 - the day Bobby Kennedy died.

I thought 1C45 was the down Cornish Riveria, but it looks to me that only the one loco is hauling the train. It appears there's someone with their head out of the window in the coach behind. This was the period of double-headed Warships on the West of England line.

Can anyone confirm that 1C45 is indeed the Cornish Riveria?

The Down 'Limited' was 1C51 in the Winter 1966-67 Winter timetable but 1C45 in the 1971 Summer timetable - that's the only definite info I have anywhere near your date.

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon hydraulic fans

First one my my ebay acquirements this week- lost some excellent slides unfortunately.

D7074 and Warship/Western backdrop, the wonderful Swindon works in 1964

post-6925-0-22412300-1423920460.jpg

A slightly out of focus D7031 shortly after departing Paddington again in the 1960s- I'm sure focussing software must be available or at least will be to come?

post-6925-0-40044600-1423920489_thumb.jpg

A freshly preserved D7017 at Taunton in 1975 - like the D1062 shot, I remember seeing her at this spot on my way to Paignton that year and a relief that a Hymek had survived.

post-6925-0-74627700-1423920515_thumb.jpg

D1025 at Newport on one of my favourite services the 1C63 Paddington-Cardiff, always a Western turn 1974/5. Guardsman was built minus headboard clips.

post-6925-0-61902900-1423920534_thumb.jpg

Finally D1029 Western Legionnaire at Westbury - subject of the red nameplate debate

post-6925-0-79515900-1423920554_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Now for something slightly different.  Steve Fay linked the video below in his thread and although it stars a 'Castle' (5029) in the spring of 1963 it has  a few things of interest to this thread - but they come with a bit of fun as far as I'm concerned as I will name the places but not the lapsed time in the video.

There is a very clean and shiny D63XX shunting the downside at Patchway; just past Patchway we pass a very clean, new looking, Hymek heading in the opposite direction; and just short of Sydney Gardens we pass the Blue Pullman enroute to Bristol.  One tip, the train does not go into Temple Meads - now you can have a pretty good look over much of the road from Newport to Salisbury.  By the way - steam engines do vibrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srNQg26Adjg&app=desktop

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

D7031 is not at Paddington but at Old Oak Common East (almost - standing just short of the signals on the London side of the West London Line overbridge)

Yes I knew it was near Old Oak, legend edited.

Neil

• Like 1

Now for something slightly different.  Steve Fay linked the video below in his thread and although it stars a 'Castle' (5029) in the spring of 1963 it has  a few things of interest to this thread - but they come with a bit of fun as far as I'm concerned as I will name the places but not the lapsed time in the video.

There is a very clean and shiny D63XX shunting the downside at Patchway; just past Patchway we pass a very clean, new looking, Hymek heading in the opposite direction; and just short of Sydney Gardens we pass the Blue Pullman enroute to Bristol.  One tip, the train does not go into Temple Meads - now you can have a pretty good look over much of the road from Newport to Salisbury.  By the way - steam engines do vibrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srNQg26Adjg&app=desktop

Was there a touch of wheelspin as the Castle left Newport?

Surely not on the GW.....

• Like 4

The Down 'Limited' was 1C51 in the Winter 1966-67 Winter timetable but 1C45 in the 1971 Summer timetable - that's the only definite info I have anywhere near your date.

The headcode change from 1C45 to 1B65 in May 1971, then to 1B45 in May 1972 when the departure time moved from 10:30 to 11:30.

• RMweb Gold

Great find. Amongst many other attractions there is a lingering shot of Warminster signal box - typically Great Western but in SR colours. The town and year of my birth.

Jerry

The spur by the signalbox at the west end of Plymouth Station was a useful place to park a loco.

The Thousand has a pronounced horizontal dent amidships, doubtless someone can recognise which one it is.

This photo also illustrates why it's not very clever trying to take a picture looking into the setting sun on a winter's afternoon.....

post-6880-0-13072500-1423956653.jpg

• Like 17