• RMweb Gold

Hi Gareth

I know they are a rough lot in t'forest but that's Tufts Junction not Tuffs! Hee hee

Where on earth are all these Ted photos coming from they are fantastic.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Hi Gareth

I know they are a rough lot in t'forest but that's Tufts Junction not Tuffs! Hee hee

Where on earth are all these Ted photos coming from they are fantastic.

Cheers

Phil

Sorry Phil slip of the finger, as for the photos from my large collection glad you like them.

Cheers GARETH

• Like 1

I never really saw much of the Class14s. The only time really was on a school week long trip to The Gower when we seemed to pass the various yards next to the A48 a lot and there were  a few in evidence, mostly in the distance though. The only number I got was D9524 iirc. This would have been about 1968 I should think.

Otherwise there was just D9526 in Westbury at the cement works

Loco only 7 months old - looks like there is much joviality - or its commiseration and peering at the jackshaft drive!

Phil

Yes, my first thought was that it had failed. Mainly because the rear of the train would surely be blocking points at the west end of the station, and it would not be normal practise to stop the loco at that point.

Gareth.
First shot of D9502 is at Cinderford.
Third shot is at Ruspidge Halt.
Judging by the make up of the train ( i.e. the number of brake vans with an LMS design behind the loco) and comparing yours to other photos of D9502, I would argue the three shots of D9502 were taken on 30th. April, 1967.
D9555 at Glyncorrwg is probably the best yet.
The sighting of D9555 at Glyncorrwg on 27th. September, 1968 was reported in the Railway Observer shortly after.

The R.O. also reported that on 14th Feb 1969 D9521 and D9538 were both at Margam. The same edition of the R.O. also summarised the remaining class 14 diagrams in South Wales and opined that the class was unlikely to survive after March.
There was one duty listed from Margam :– the 03:40 Glyncorrwg.
However the May RO records that the class 14 used on the 15:40 (sic.) Margam - Glyncorrwg had been replaced by a 350hp shunter (utilising a loco that had become spare when the Bridgend pilot duty was withdrawn in January), thus bringing to an end Margam-based class 14 workings.

Thanks Gareth, keep it up mate.
Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Phil slip of the finger, as for the photos from my large collection glad you like them.

Cheers GARETH

Welcome - and you arent the only one with fat fingers believe me!

Now I am sure that a Teddy at Bilston - photo 2 - would cause apoplexy! Isnt it another of those confusingly named Forest places - Bilson?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bilson+signal+box&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=85BD6E1710B27BFFB96A3D43E460915169C5649C&selectedIndex=2

Cheers

Phil

This a shot of 29 i have location not known

Cheers GARETH

I'd be tempted to say it was Margam but the building and lorry in the background make me doubt it.

Fantastic collection, Gareth. The photo of D9555 at Glyncorrwg is a superb find. I have only seen two other photo's of diesels on the lines around Cymmer and both of them were at Dyffryn Rhondda. One is a lovely colour phot of the same loco light engine (on Flickr) and the other is my Dad's colour slide of D6607 (I think) shunting a coal train.

........................... I have only seen two other photo's of diesels on the lines around Cymmer and both of them were at Dyffryn Rhondda.

One is a lovely colour phot of the same loco light engine (on Flickr) and the other is my Dad's colour slide of D6607 (I think) shunting a coal train.

Try this one - not a hydraulic, but quite a find, and follows on from Gareth's pic of D9555; as by 1968 when the shot of D9555 was taken, it would have crossed this bridge to reach Glyncorrwg.

For the uninitiated, Cymmer Corrwg and the line to Glyncorrwg is to the right.

Cymmer Afan is out of shot left, the line to Duffryn Yard and Port Talbot went under the second arch to the left, and the loco is heading toward Cymmer Tunnel, then Caerau, Maesteg and eventually Tondu.

For more photos of diesels at Cymmer, try:-

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-36-34A&img=Y-36-34A

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-36-35A&img=Y-36-35A

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-35-35A&img=Y-35-35A

Brian R

post-1599-0-01082000-1430844823_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Try this one - not a hydraulic, but quite a find, and follows on from Gareth's pic of D9555; as by 1968 when the shot of D9555 was taken, it would have crossed this bridge to reach Glyncorrwg.

Cymmer Afan is out of shot left, the line to Duffryn Yard and Port Talbot went under the second arch to the left, and the loco is heading toward Cymmer Tunnel, then Caerau, Maesteg and eventually Tondu.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-36-34A&img=Y-36-34A

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-36-35A&img=Y-36-35A

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-35-35A&img=Y-35-35A

Brian R

For those of us English heathens not understanding what the heck Brian is on about :jester:

Cymmer. Joining of 2 rivers.

Glyn. A glen or valley.

Corrwg. A river.

Afan. Another river.

HTH.

Mike.

• Like 1

Cheers GARETH

In which case Gareth you probably have the finest collection of class 14 photos in the country, please keep them coming there absolute gems.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is most frustrating, only being able to register "Like" once.

For those of us English heathens not understanding what the heck Brian is on about :jester:

Cymmer. Joining of 2 rivers.

Glyn. A glen or valley.

Corrwg. A river.

Afan. Another river.

HTH.

Mike.

Methinks pronunciation would be more of a problem:-

e.g.

Maesteg = My-stegg

Tondu = Tonndee

Cymmer = cummer (methinks this may 'save' as something different....)

Afan = Avvan

Caerau = Kairuh

Glyncorrwg = Glinncorooge

English speakers note - this is local pronunciation, not necessarily the correct Welsh pronunciation.

Sitting on Cardiff General of a Saturday, we used to enjoy visiting spotters asking us how to get to certain sheds, yards,stabling points and especially collieries e.g. Radyr,Abercwmboi,Ynysybwl,Penrhiwceiber etc etc.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Brian R

Fantastic!

Incidentally, all diesels that reached Glyncorrwg would've used the viaduct as the line via Tonmawr shut in the mid-50's following a collapse in Gyfylchi Tunnel.

The viaduct was in a bit of a state by then. My old man recalls everyone had to walk from one side of the valley to the other when a railtour he was on c.1964 visited Glyncorrwg as it was deemed unsafe to carry passengers. He wasn't too bothered as he'd done the line on one of the infamous workmans trains to North Rhondda Colliery (which were propelled the final mile or so up a gradient of around 1:20!) but most others were quite annoyed. Of course, one or two 'bogged it'...

This a shot of 29 i have location not known

Cheers GARETH

My scribbled notes, from several sources only say:-

D9529 86A 26/01/65, 87E 5/65, Sighted:- Swansea East Dock S.P. Sun. 24/07/1966, Worcester (stored) xx/05/1967, 50B 6/67, Withdrawn 04/68

Brian R

From my notes for D9555

New to Bristol Bath Road 82A - 22/10/65,

Outstationed at Gloucester 08/1966 - working Forest of Dean.

Transferred from Bristol Bath Rd. 82A to Canton 86A May, 1967.

Then transferred to Landore, July, 1967.

Sighted, working the Mond branch at Felin Fran 01/1969

Stored Landore Goods from 21/04/69 and reported as withdrawn variously 26/04/69 and/or 03/05/69;

Moved to Canton for storage an still there 29/11/69 and in use there, as shed pilot 19/12/69.

Sold to NCB Backworth, March 1970.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

Another great batch Gareth, keep them coming.

D9509 & D9519 finally left Canton together on 08/12/1970 bound for George Cohen's Cransley, Kettering scrapyard where they were despatched in Feb. 1971.

Their post withdrawal movements are both interesting and confusing.

Depending upon which reports you read, D9509, D9519, D9524, D9535 & D9540 were reinstated after withdrawal for use on track relaying trains between Hereford and Craven Arms in April, 1970.

D9524 had been withdrawn 26/04/1969 or 03/05/1969 and was moved from Landore to Canton in Feb. 1970 and was sighted there on 08/03/1970, it was back at Canton by Aug. 1970 but had been sold the previous month to B.P. for use at their Grangemouth refinery.

D9535 was reportedly in company with D9540 at Hereford on 16/05/1970 reinstated for P.W. work. As D9540 was transferred from Landore to Hull Daireycoates 07/1967 and withdrawn from there in 04/1968 and sold to the NCB North East (Lambton system) arriving there in 11/1968 its presence at Hereford seems highly unlikely.

D9535 was back at Canton by 21/08/1970 when it was working as the shed pilot and was on display at the Canton Open day 07/11/1970  but had been sold that month to the NCB North East Area (Weetslade or Burradon Colliery).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37468455@N07/3741821193 shows two 'nine-fivers' at Hereford, apparently D9535 & D9524 dated 11/1969. But the loco numbers are illegible.

Sorry if this is boring, but no one seems to have kept tabs on the 'nine-fivers' during their short lives with BR.

If anyone can add to this info, please feel free.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Continuing with Glyncorrwg and Paxman's, interesting shots showing (a)  the recovery of runaway D9529, and ( B)  a failed D9544 being rescued by a 'six-eighter' can be found here:-

http://www.tymawrpublications.co.uk/Resources/Articles/10-16%20Brian%20Penney%20part1.pdf

Brian R

Thanks for the link Brian. I love the superb portrait of D7025 at Tyseley.

As for Gareth's excellent collection of class 14 pictures, all I can say is that it's the first time I have seen such extensive evidence that the class did actually do some useful work!