Great stuff Pixie!What year was that pleaseAnd whats that mention of BBEs too?

Evening Phil, I'll let the cover do the talking.

ED975849-29E2-4345-A07A-40BB8108546F.jpg

It's certainly an interesting document for what should of been happening, even if reality worked out differently. The BoBol E note refers to 6M83 23:10 Llandilo Junction to Langley Green steel working - pure Abbotswood fodder I guess? I'm not sure how copyright works, but I may look to digitising it sometime. From a modelling perspective it's very useful - if anyone wants anything looking up then please let me know.

5780ADF8-073B-49D4-86B7-34375689E8F3.jpg

Anyone for some ENPARTS workings?!

8C61AFAE-35DD-4028-8D96-FB8A612AF216.jpg

Nice stuff Pix, another headcode for my Hymek fleet then! Will just need to source the coke hoppers now.

Neil

There's an etched 4mm kit from Steam and Things, although I seem to recall mixed reviews and a very weighty price tag. To be honest, I think we'll see one ready to run in the next few years. In 2mm, Stephen Harris did a very nice kit - I've currently got half a dozen on my workbench.

Pix

e5072b20d3b22e5f86adec6e675e596a.jpg

fc02829aa135864fb6258ada3b36bea4.jpg

Might be of use. Interestingly, note is made of Hymeks!

Pix

PS - Brian, can I tempt you to write your railway memoirs?! I hope all is well in Cardiff, it's been a while.

A-ha

So, the games a'foot

See also:-

8B22 10:20 MWFO Radyr Quarry - Avonmouth

which I believe, was the balancing working of

7F22 06:45 MWFO Avonmouth - Radyr Jct arr. 09:07 - according to the 1971/72 WTT Sec.9

or

7C22 07:05 Avonmouth - Radyr Jct. MWFO or Llantrisant TThO arr. 09:15 - according to the 1971/72 WTT Sec.7

Memoirs Pix ?

I trust I find you in rude health sir ?

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pixie

That is a book of sheer poetry. As soon as I saw the BBEs I guessed it was the Llandeilo Junction - Langley Green it referred to. Just need someone to do Bobol Es ... please

Shall get on to my friend Stewart Blencowe - http://www.stewartblencowe.co.uk/- no connection other than a very happy customer - and see if he can track down a copy.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Peter, but it was certainly on a London service, remember it like it was yesterday. Prototype for everything, 1975 I guess close to the end for headcodes, don't recall if they rolled up the correct code though before departure. I seem to remember photo was taken just as it arrived, and I was shocked and very pleased to see a western on this service rather than a dreaded 50.

Neil

Evening Phil, I'll let the cover do the talking.

ED975849-29E2-4345-A07A-40BB8108546F.jpg

It's certainly an interesting document for what should of been happening, even if reality worked out differently. The BoBol E note refers to 6M83 23:10 Llandilo Junction to Langley Green steel working - pure Abbotswood fodder I guess? I'm not sure how copyright works, but I may look to digitising it sometime. From a modelling perspective it's very useful - if anyone wants anything looking up then please let me know.

5780ADF8-073B-49D4-86B7-34375689E8F3.jpg

Anyone for some ENPARTS workings?!

8C61AFAE-35DD-4028-8D96-FB8A612AF216.jpg

Pix

Now there's a document I'd love to peruse for an hour or two in my first floor gentleman's retreat !

Brian R

From a spot of research, using the aforementioned 1971-1972 WTT's I append a 'train plan' showing the timetabled workings at Llantrisant.

This includes the Cl.08 yard / trip pilot which served the Glamorgan Haemetite Mine at Llanharry; also the two Cl.37 trip pilots for Coed Ely, Cwm and Creigiau as well as the odd trip along the SWML.

Any observations, gladly taken on board.

Brian R

Llantrisant train plan-1971-mod140814.xls

• RMweb Gold

1M22 in 1978/9 was the 0902 Penzance-Manchester service. Throughout the early 70s it was routine procedure to detach/attach a Western or Warship at Temple Meads for the trip through the West Country. As Peter says A Peak or Brush 4 was attached for the journey North. Eventually the Peak/47 operated the whole route. I have records of one year where South West destination/origin trains were double headed peak/warship combos, I presume for peak crew route training. That must have been a sight. Trains for the NW had the diesel detached at Birmingham and an AC electric attached, as this one would have done.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

1M22 in 1978/9 was the 0902 Penzance-Manchester service. Throughout the early 70s it was routine procedure to detach/attach a Western or Warship at Temple Meads for the trip through the West Country. As Peter says A Peak or Brush 4 was attached for the journey North. Eventually the Peak/47 operated the whole route. I have records of one year where South West destination/origin trains were double headed peak/warship combos, I presume for peak crew route training. That must have been a sight. Trains for the NW had the diesel detached at Birmingham and an AC electric attached, as this one would have done.

Neil

The double heading "generally" happened in the busy summer timetable, especially saturdays, to save paths.

I've got a pic of a Warship/Brush 4 combo on The Devonian for that reason.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

There's an etched 4mm kit from Steam and Things, although I seem to recall mixed reviews and a very weighty price tag. To be honest, I think we'll see one ready to run in the next few years. In 2mm, Stephen Harris did a very nice kit - I've currently got half a dozen on my workbench.

Pix

You're not joking about the Steam and Things cost for their LMS pattern coke hopper - I've just looked them up - £91! Will look for an alternative then.

Edit : http://www.steamandthings.com/page9.htm

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to hydraulics; Bristol, Bath Road - mid 1970s. care of my then Zenit B.

L-R we have Classes 119 / 03 / 08 / 52 / 50 / 46 / 28 / 37 / 03 & 50.

Brian R

From the headcode panel the Western looks like D1070.

• RMweb Gold

You're not joking about the Steam and Things cost for their LMS pattern coke hopper - I've just looked them up - £91! Will look for an alternative then.

Neil

91 Australian dollars actually, don't know the conversion rate to GBP, might be cheaper converting  via the Umfaziland mungo bean?

Mike.

91 Australian dollars actually, don't know the conversion rate to GBP, might be cheaper converting via the Umfaziland mungo bean?

Mike.

So, about 50GBP. Hmm. No.

Time to lobby Parkside? Cambrian?

Adam

Oh my goodness. I am going to need a lie down after looking at these.

I thought photos with one D95xx were like hen's teeth, but four in the same photo?  :O :danced:

Of course, after writing that I just had to discover a photo with over twice as many in the same shot -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19512875@N00/15542917997/in/photostream/

One thing to remember about the old headcode blinds is that many crews, particularly on parts of the WR for some reason, just didn't bother changing them from one working to the next. With Westerns and Warships it had to be done with a T-key whilst standing in the four foot in front of the loco, sometimes in the pooring rain, hence, many photos in existance showing wonky / unreadable / wrong reporting numbers. Is it any wonder they were done away with...

Edited by Rugd1022

One thing to remember about the old headcode blinds is that many crews, particularly on parts of the WR for some reason, just didn't bother changing them from one working to the next. With Westerns and Warships it had to be done with a T-key whilst standing in the four foot in front of the loco, sometimes in the pooring rain, hence, many photos in existance showing wonky / unreadable / wrong reporting numbers. Is it any wonder they were done away with...

Yes Rugd we used to work a 7Exx to Temple Mills and return with 7Vxx, one end of the blind to the other! Mind you I would rather that than punching that damn QTron pad these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil

Cracking picture Peter but - - sorry folks!

Certainly was regular practice on all other northbound trains - but not 1M22! It was the one train likely to produce a Wizzo north of Gloucester and was a pretty solid turn 71 - 4 although once 50s appeared they worked up to Brum on it too.

71/2 1002 or 1022 seemed to have a monopoly when I saw it through Worcester - we used to bunk off school just to see it, was the 10.55 Plymouth to Liverpool Lime Street at this time.

Been through BTM today en route to Exeter and was gazing wistfully at the remnants of the roads that led on to the shed - access now blocked by a fence and a building site where all those wonderful locos once stood.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Neil

Hi Neil

Keep an eye on E-bay, secondhand stalls etc. for 3H models Coke Hoppers.