Who's Sound for Class 55 Deltic

Chris71

Hi ive bought an Bachmann class 55 sound loco , im not happy with the sound and was thinking of sending it to be reblown and a bass speaker to be put into the fuel tanks.

Have anyone of you had one done if so who's best to get it done from ie howes/SWD etc.

Cheers rolleyes.gif

Spoke to a lady from SWD this afternoon, didnt get her name but she said they are not doing any 55 deltics projects at the moment ?????blink.gif and said ring back in 2 weeks.

I dont know if they are bogged down with orders or something but il give Howes a ring tomorrow as they were closed today as it was a wednesday.

Guest 838rapid

I should wait for SWD to reblow your chip.

SWD sounds through a bass reflex speaker is the 1 I chose and i havent looked back.

Tried Olivias and it was a major disappointment to me

Guest Digital

I have the South West Digital Class 55 sound decoder in my "O" Gauge Porterbrook Deltic and it is absolutely superb icon_thumbsup2.gif

I do know South West Digital are very busy at the moment.

John

Hi ive bought an Bachmann class 55 sound loco , im not happy with the sound and was thinking of sending it to be reblown and a bass speaker to be put into the fuel tanks.

Have anyone of you had one done if so who's best to get it done from ie howes/SWD etc.

Cheers rolleyes.gif

Gotta go with Rapid, SWD all the way the sound is awesome even on basic dc!

The nice lady is Caroline.

Ian

I belive the SWD Deltic has no notching, what is the responce to the throttle like? Is it delayed like the Bachy one or is it thrash more or less on lap like Howes re blows etc.

Thanks

Stu

Stu,

No notching, but has flange squeal, drives like the real thing, coasts very well, engine cut in and out on throttle, both engines growl - overall its much better than the Bachmann original and is very loud as well.

As mine is fitted with two speakers I had to turn the volume to 25 - this model is great to 'drive', I would say more suited to tailchaser type of layouts than end to end.

Guest Digital

Cheers rolleyes.gif

I have put some videos of my "O" Gauge Class 55 on my Willaston Road Thread.

Hope this is of help.

Link to Willaston Road Thread

Caroline at South West Digital is very helpful I am sure she will be able to help you get the decoder reblown. It is definately worth the wait.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Cheers rolleyes.gif

Hi,

as has been mentioned try changing the speaker first as the Bachmann set up is awful. Its is just screwed to a plastic bit with holes in it. No proper enclosure.

I have added a 50x40mm (think thats the size of it) bass reflex in the tanks and a 40x20mm bass enhanced in the top under the fans at one end. It improves the sound no end (my opionin)

i would suggest trying changing the speakers first then if you are still not happy then get the chip re-blown.

cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have also tried Olivia's Deltic sound project and it is just awful, even worse than the Bachmann original! So today, I have just received a new chip from SWD and am going to fit a Bass Reflex in the tanks and a Bass Enhanced under the fans to see how that pans out.

Of interest I was looking at a layout called Oldham King Street (http://www.freewebs.com/oldhamkingstreet) at an exhibition at the weekend. It is a small O Gauge DCC layout and due to the physical size of the locos and the larger speaker size, the sounds are just awsome - I particularly liked the Peak and the Class 40.

Enjoy!

Hi

I have also tried Olivia's Deltic sound project and it is just awful, even worse than the Bachmann original! So today, I have just received a new chip from SWD and am going to fit a Bass Reflex in the tanks and a Bass Enhanced under the fans to see how that pans out.

Of interest I was looking at a layout called Oldham King Street (http://www.freewebs.com/oldhamkingstreet) at an exhibition at the weekend. It is a small O Gauge DCC layout and due to the physical size of the locos and the larger speaker size, the sounds are just awsome - I particularly liked the Peak and the Class 40.

Enjoy!

It sounds even better if you can get to an exhibition were it is being shown

Got it back today and tested the sounds very happy with it just a few differences in the sound, one its a better quality recording and the notching up and down is lost but you gain flange squeal wich is nice.

But im happy with the new sounds worth the wait rolleyes.gif

Here's the list to compare:

ORIGINAL ----- SWD

F0 DIRECTIONAL LIGHTS ----- F0 DIRECTIONAL LIGHTS

F1 SOUND ON/OF ----- F1 SOUND ON/OF

F2 SINGLE HORN ----- F2 SINGLE HORN

F3 DOUBLE HORN ----- F3 DOUBLE HORN

F4 AIRBRAKE ----- F4 AIRBRAKE

F5 NOTCHING UP ----- F5 GUARDS WHISTLE

F6 NOTCHING DOWN ----- F6 COUPLING

F7 SHUNTING SPEED ON/OF ----- F7 AUX 1

F8 CABLIGHTS (AUX1) ----- F8 AUX 2

F9 GUARDS WHISTLE ----- F9 FLANGE SQUEAL

F10 SPIRAX VALVE ----- F10 AIR DRYER

F11 VOLUME CONTROL ----- F11 SHUNTING MODE

----------------------------------------- F12 CV 3,4 ON/OF

Hi

My SWD Deltic chip arrived yesterday and my intention was to fit a Bass Reflex in the fuel tanks and a Bass Enhanced in the roof space. I sometime wonder why I bother planning!! Neither speaker would fit in their planned locations!!

So ... Plan 2 - stripped the loco right down, removed the wieght from the fuel tanks and fitted 2x Base Enhanced speakers in the fuel tank space. Had to do a very small amount of plastic carving to accomodate the speakers which were then held in place with Black Tac. Ran the speaker wires back up to the circuit board by using one of the central fixing screw channels. Re-assembled. Connected up and tested.

Initial impressions after 10 mins running. This sound file is the 'DB's'! Two engine start up sequences - a real Whoomph as the motors start. With the 2x Bass Enhanced fitted, you hear a much broader range of sounds than on the Olivia's offerring and also the Bachmann original.

I'm really pleased so far.

The bass refelx will fit in the fuel tanks. You have to carry out sergery on the center rib of the tanks and cut a small amount from the bottom of the chassis weight (I removed the motor from mine to stop shards of metal getting in) but it will fit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

My SWD Deltic chip arrived yesterday and my intention was to fit a Bass Reflex in the fuel tanks and a Bass Enhanced in the roof space. I sometime wonder why I bother planning!! Neither speaker would fit in their planned locations!!

So ... Plan 2 - stripped the loco right down, removed the wieght from the fuel tanks and fitted 2x Base Enhanced speakers in the fuel tank space. Had to do a very small amount of plastic carving to accomodate the speakers which were then held in place with Black Tac. Ran the speaker wires back up to the circuit board by using one of the central fixing screw channels. Re-assembled. Connected up and tested.

Initial impressions after 10 mins running. This sound file is the 'DB's'! Two engine start up sequences - a real Whoomph as the motors start. With the 2x Bass Enhanced fitted, you hear a much broader range of sounds than on the Olivia's offerring and also the Bachmann original.

I'm really pleased so far.

Hi,

the speakers you mention will fit it just takes some work and removal of some plastic from the tanks and the body as mentioned.

I have fitted this mod to about 7 locos now and it just takes time to do.

BEFORE YOU START TO DO ANYTHING - put some super glue over the mounting pips for the cab lights as they are very easy to knock off the mount.

The bass reflex speaker to use in the tanks is the 58 X 22. This is the same thickness as the 20x40 one. If you use the thinner, fat one it wont fit.

The tanks take a lot of time as you have to remove the central block and then carfully sand down the bottom till you can fit the speaker in level with the top of the lip that runs along each side of the tanks.

This will take time, can't say this enough as some people give up and try to force the speaker in and that in turn means the motor is under pressure once it is all squeezed together.

The speaker on top will need the fan surrounds removing completly. I used the same end as the original speaker and just cleaned all the mounting points and surronds out.

The corners of the speaker (if using bassed enhanced) will need filing slightly to make sure it sits in the hole as close down as possible.

The wiring will need gently re-routing around the speaker.

After that it is easy to reassemble the loco and fire her up. You do need to turn the sound level down to about 30/40 and just keep an eye on the temp of the chip as a couple i have worked on have got a bit on the warm side for my liking.

hope this helps someone who wants to do the speaker upgrade and if you get stuck drop me a pm and i can hopefully help

cheers

Simon

Cheers rolleyes.gif

Hi Chris,

You might be interested in this. This is my Bachmann Deltic fitted with an SWD chip and bass speaker...

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Archived