Hornby 0-4-0T Y9 Caledonian "Pug"

• RMweb Gold

How close to scale is the body on these for the Y9?

Checking through some 'appraisals' it doesn't seem to score very well. Reviews are, of course, subjective.

Seeing as there doesn't seem to be any etched kits for these I was thinking about the Hornby body as a basis for building one.

Thanks. 

How close to scale is the body on these for the Y9?

Tank needs shortening by a whole 8mm! And then there's the firebox...... Cab is different as well. But if you want a Y9, the Hornby shell is the only game in town, so you have to work with it.

Branchlines do a scale chassis kit for about £22 (actually meant for the CR/LMS 0F variant, but they all came out of Neilsons anyway), and are supposed to be releasing body components for it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Putting my grumpy old man's pedant hat on, Y9 is an LNER classification applying to the locos they inherited from the NBR, and nothing whatsoever to do with the Caledonian Railway. I fully appreciate that the CR had locos similar to the Neilson design, but weren't they built at St Rollox? I must admit I get similarly annoyed by J94 and Austerity being used synonomously. End of grumpiness. If you can craft something using the Hornby model as a starting point that satisfies you then go for it.

Regards

Martin

• 1 year later...

You can't just say that. Post a picture!

You want to see a bombsite!?

post-6879-0-29463200-1463613678_thumb.jpg

Two 4mm slices are sawn out either side of the dome, and the remainder shoved back together:

post-6879-0-87385600-1463613702_thumb.jpg

The next bit to come out is the massive firebox top....

I suspect the smokebox may need shortening as well. It definitely needs small wings at the base. Chimney needs replacing with a big NBR pot, but nobody sells those. The tank filler needs to be moved to the rear. At least the dome is sort of in the right place, and safety valves have been removed from it.

Occurs to me that the Y9's 10-spoke pin-between drivers could be represented by AGW's "P"-class wheel.

If you are building the engine as the other Neilson survivor "Kelton Fell" (preserved alongside the Y9 at SRPS), then AGW's 8-spoke "T" wheel is pretty much spot-on.

I think I'll have to reset the base of the saddle tank as it's not straight.

• RMweb Premium

You want to see a bombsite!?

attachicon.gifIMG_20160518_235735_1463612875480.jpg

Two 4mm slices are sawn out either side of the dome, and the remainder shoved back together:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160519_000653_1463612907514.jpg

The next bit to come out is the massive firebox top....

I suspect the smokebox may need shortening as well. It definitely needs small wings at the base. Chimney needs replacing with a big NBR pot, but nobody sells those. The tank filler needs to be moved to the rear. At least the dome is sort of in the right place, and safety valves have been removed from it.

Could you cut off the smokebox and firebox and reassemble with the saddletank the other way round to get the filler at the rear?

Andy G

....perhaps glue in something to add weight instead?

I've got some adhesive car wheel balance weights somewhere, so yes these need to be crammed in somewhere. I did consider drilling the tank sections in order to insert and run alignment / reinforcement rods through, but it's too late now!

In an ideal world, I should be able to shorten and re-use most of the Hornby cast footplate / underframe, but mazak doesn't really solder all that well, or indeed at all.

Other notes:

The Tom Lindsay 7mm drawing which appeared in the old Model Railway News has been reduced to 4mm, and I found by experiment that the weight diagram can also be blown up a little to approximately 4mm scale - the consistent measurement is 28mm which represents the 7ft wheelbase.

Incidentally the Lindsay drawing is meant to represent the NBR "G" in its original form, so it doesn't have the sheeted-in cab, and the safety valves are not enclosed in tubes. The chimney is shown as a stovepipe, rather than the tall NBR pot. Also the dumb buffers are shown as protruding sideways from the footplate corners, so that the plan view of the footplate is not an ordinary rectangle. However, the principal dimensions shown on it agree with the dimensions shown on the weight diagram.

• RMweb Gold

Putting my grumpy old man's pedant hat on, Y9 is an LNER classification applying to the locos they inherited from the NBR, and nothing whatsoever to do with the Caledonian Railway. I fully appreciate that the CR had locos similar to the Neilson design, but weren't they built at St Rollox? I must admit I get similarly annoyed by J94 and Austerity being used synonomously. End of grumpiness. If you can craft something using the Hornby model as a starting point that satisfies you then go for it.

Regards

Martin

The Caledonian 264 pugs were ordered by Drummond from Neilson in 1885, to the same design as Neilson had used to supply the NBR a few years earlier. It seems that both Railways had the option to build further examples to the same design at their own works.

I've always been surprised that Hornby have never put this into NBR or LNER livery.

....I've always been surprised that Hornby have never put this into NBR or LNER livery.

Possibly because it would have looked wrong (though wrongness in the context of the Hornby Caley Pug is relative), even that the bodyshell has the CR / Drummond cab, whereas the NBR/LNE variant didn't have much of a cab to speak of?

• RMweb Gold

Looking at photos of the two types, theres a reasonable similarity between the cabs... and as you say, the model doesnt really match either. Its been put into all sorts of spurious liveries (eg a MR red one!)....

At ExpoEM, Chris Gibbon (High Level) handed me the leftover plastic roll after his card reader machine ran out of paper. At the time, I had absolutely no idea what to do with such largesse.

Only much later, I measured its diameter, which came out at a shade under 16mm:

post-6879-0-67231900-1463761600_thumb.jpg

....and it slowly occurred to me that it could serve as a more appropriately sized boiler and firebox section for the Y9, Caley Pug, or any engine from this Neilson design:

post-6879-0-34815600-1463762004_thumb.jpg

...but before all of that happens, we can separate the smokebox from the saddle tank, remembering to leave the riveted angle strip intact on the front of the tank:

post-6879-0-21395600-1463789089_thumb.jpg

The smokebox can have a slice taken out of it with a piercing saw, using the internal stiffener as a handy cutting guide:

post-6879-0-44716900-1463789109.jpg

...and we hopefully end up with a more or less correctly shortened smokebox, as here:

post-6879-0-80922600-1463789134_thumb.jpg

The boiler diameter of the real thing is stated to be 3ft 9 5/8in, so that handheld card reader paper roll is as near as dammit spot-on. I suppose High Level is going to be experiencing a minor run on these used card reader rolls in future (other finescale suppliers' card readers are available).

Thinking ahead, a new footplate needs to be cut out, measuring 69mm long by 31mm wide. You can do it either in plastic or brass / nickel silver; I don't think it matters too much in a project like this.

Archived