RMweb

Unusual PW configurations thread both real and model.

• RMweb Premium

maybe not unusual, but i found this (maybe) a bit odd.

St. Andrews (New) station in 1955

trap1955.jpg.9f548a310425c5e9dd6dac4b2493ada8.jpg

i know a siding leading to a running line would need to be trapped, but i thought that having a headshunt would obviate the need for separate/additional trapping - the headshunt would provide the necessary protection?

Signalbox diagram from 1933 shows the trap and headshunt as separate items: https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=357

IIRC the headshunt was later removed and so the 'internal' trap would then be the only protection.

Any thoughts?

(image used is a crop from a Nigel Dyckhoff picture in either 'The Anstruther & St. Andrews Railway' or 'St. Andrews Railway' by Hadjucki et al, pub. Oakwood Press)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

The access to the headshunt is not at the end of the bay road. The ground signal on the left shows to where stock may be parked.

Here is an interesting arrangement from an early photo of an American colliery line... a mixture of conventional point blades and pivoting track, by the looks of it.

post-28584-0-76636700-1498254701.jpg

• Like 1

trap1955.jpg

i know a siding leading to a running line would need to be trapped, but i thought that having a headshunt would obviate the need for separate/additional trapping - the headshunt would provide the necessary protection?

Signalbox diagram from 1933 shows the trap and headshunt as separate items: https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=357

IIRC the headshunt was later removed and so the 'internal' trap would then be the only protection.

Any thoughts?

(image used is a crop from a Nigel Dyckhoff picture in either 'The Anstruther & St. Andrews Railway' or 'St. Andrews Railway' by Hadjucki et al, pub. Oakwood Press)

Might there have been local circumstances where vehicles would stand foul of the headshunt points and so require a trap closer to the running line? Edited by PatB

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the replies - it's been a while since I read the books, so I'll have to look again to see if there's any mention beyond what traffic the loading bank was used for.

I'll also have to look to see when the headshunt was removed

This was or will be a common rail transition point in a duel gauge track

The wider gauge rail (red rail in drawing) has been removed or yet to be installed

attachicon.gifduel.jpg

John

Interesting John. I've a feeling I saw something like this on the quayside at St. Valery Sur Somme before the track was relaid and rationalised.I think that one may have been directing metre gauge stock from three rail dual gauge track with a common rail to the four rail track with the metre gauge between the S.G. track that runs between St. Valery and Noyelles- the main line junction.  I wonder what the speed restriction would be with this formation. With a conventional set of points the tyre and the front of the flange  is positively directed by the relevant point blade and its profile is designed for that,with this arrangement the wheelset is forced to diverge by the check rail pushing on the flat back of the wheel; presumably with a certain amount of squealing. 

Edited by Pacific231G

• 1 month later...

attachicon.giftrap1955.jpg

Signalbox diagram from 1933 shows the trap and headshunt as separate items: https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=357

Any thoughts?

Keefer, the answer to your question is shown on the Signalbox Diagram, the points from the Loading Dock are Hand Worked, hence the "Additional" Trap.

• RMweb Gold

An unusual and odd gauge arrangement. The picture was published a couple of days ago in the Washington Post as part of some rather good and dramatic images from all over the US.

Is it of Bethlehem Steelworks dated 2016 with standard gauge plus some broad gauge or could it be standard and narrow sharing a common rail? The 'guard rails' would appear to cover a 'broad gauge'. A bit puzzling.

Also some simple catenery. A nice picture nonetheless!

Ctsy Washington Post.

post-6728-0-92517600-1503246711_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An unusual and odd gauge arrangement. The picture was published a couple of days ago in the Washington Post as part of some rather good and dramatic images from all over the US.

Is it of Bethlehem Steelworks dated 2016 with standard gauge plus some broad gauge or could it be standard and narrow sharing a common rail? The 'guard rails' would appear to cover a 'broad gauge'. A bit puzzling.

Also some simple catenery. A nice picture nonetheless!

Ctsy Washington Post.

attachicon.gifBethlehem Steel 2016 a.jpg

A very atmospheric shot.

• RMweb Premium

Keefer, the answer to your question is shown on the Signalbox Diagram, the points from the Loading Dock are Hand Worked, hence the "Additional" Trap.

Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed they weren't numbered. Must dig the book out, I wonder if there would've been the need for some hand shunting of vans/wagons? Headshunt used to 'store' a couple of emptied wagons until their return load arrives, so the loading bank can be used for other traffic in the meantime?

• RMweb Premium

Browsing through the Transport Treasury collections, I found this:

See next post.

I am guessing that it is some sort of springloaded trailing turnout for an area which is worked by gravity.

Happy to be put right though if I am barking up the wrong creek.

Regards

Ian

Edited to remove bad link

Edited by Ian Smeeton

Browsing through the Transport Treasury collections, I found this:

See next post.

I am guessing that it is some sort of springloaded trailing turnout for an area which is worked by gravity.

Happy to be put right though if I am barking up the wrong creek.

Regards

Ian

Edited to remove bad link

I think you are correct. There seems to be a chair holding the rail on the right in a fixed position.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never seen a tandem turnout formed in modern flat-bottom rail before, but here are a few photographs:

post-7769-0-96336100-1505858846_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-66076200-1505859427_thumb.jpg

I have also never seen checkrails immediately in front of the toe of the switch but there were lots of examples of this (one in the last picture) plus this one:

post-7769-0-80223900-1505859575_thumb.jpg

All taken at Scunthorpe last week.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those Mark. Interesting to see that the toe check rails which l fitted on the late 'Matford' in front of a 'troublesome' scissors crossing are in fact used on the real railway!

Edited by Re6/6

Thanks for those Mark. Interesting to see that the toe check rails which l fitted on the late 'Matford' in front of a 'troublesome' scissors crossing are in fact used on the real railway!

You can sleep well in your bed now!!

The trackwork was very twisty turny across the site as you would expect and there were plenty of really tight curves - down to "radius 2" was the joke amongst us that were there.  Although the track actually looked in fairly good condition (it needs to be, there are some pretty heavy weights being carried around), I doubt it is perfect.  I guess that these are an insurance policy against the tight curves and less than 100% trackwork - probably like on Matford!!!

There were lots of interesting things about the visit (which is well worth doing by the way).  I will start a thread on the stock there at some point.  I for one know precious little about what I was looking at though!

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If derailments frequently occur at the entry to a switch, this can be controlled by means of a conventional check rail. Here's an example of that:

2_150732_540000000.jpg

Pic thanks to Adrian Marks, originally posted on RMweb, see:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129570#p129570

regards,

Martin.

• Like 2

This is only a single of course, but it must be a half inside, half outside slip. None of it straight either. Brian

post-10324-0-45893200-1505899652.jpg

I found this old post interesting but then couldn't remember where I saw it.

I had thought it was a similar layout to this on Wharfeside but on investigation it's close but no cigar.

post-10324-0-03466600-1505899525.jpg

Still, there must be a few similar set-ups somewhere in the UK.

Dave Franks.