Pondering on a larger scale......

locotracteur351

Thank you for all your help with the black five, its gone on the back burner for a while as I am seriously considering a move up to 7mm scale from 4mm, I love the weight that you get from the size of o gauge, its just impressive without being ridiculously big! I bought a slaters kit cheaply so I have a 13T coal wagon and I have upgraded and old scratch-built MR 10T brake van. The van is by no means a scale model but does, I hope, portray a van recycled by a colliery to use on their steeply graded line to the mainline exchange sidings. The end windows have been boarded over and the door replaced, and various planks replaced over time. The interior and other end wall is yet to be finished, as is the inside of the coal truck.

21864152106_2563039906_k.jpg21878383592_66d9713ef5_k.jpg

The colour of the wagon is all wrong, it was just put on as a base coat to unify it all! I am going for 1960's industrial so everything 'colliery owned' will be very grotty and dull indeed, with the BR wagons not being much better! I am also using a lima motor bogie to make a quick and simple skirted loco, based on a photo of an Aberdeen Gas Works loco, "City of Aberdeen". This is just so I can have a play and alternative motive power is being looked into! (Read as - I'm drooling over and Ixion Hudswell Clarke)

Any advice on suppliers of parts such as couplings, buffers and wheels would be appreciated, as I simply cannot afford full price anything as I'm a student! Having said that, I do also really enjoy scratch building! I will dismantle my extensive 00 layout as and when I can get to it and maybe sell on some stuff that I really have no need for to fund the move up to 7mm scale!

Jagger

Locotracteur

Another option is to buy something cheap from ebay, maybe an old plastic battery-electric loco, and build a cardboard superstructure.

Personally, I prefer card and wood to plasticard, and, with care, it can yield very acceptable results.

A tram-style loco is an obvious option (it's a cardboard box on wheels!), but not the only one.

CFBS is wonderful, and is the subject of a thread on here somewhere, btw.

Kevin

Hi,

Not had chance to read all the Posts - yet happy to help if I can;

I have seen some wonderful O guage models built from card with plywood chassis etc - thin, good quality ply is more than adequate for 7mm chassis and if one wanted to, use cheap brass spacers to help with accuracy.

JM Models used to do a chassis kit for the Lima 4F some detail parts too - I have one to build - sadly the owner passed away a few years back and the family didnt want to sell on the range (which were really good basic kits at a great price).

Another option is to perhaps convert the cheap Lima shunter into an approximation of an 02 (there was an article IIRC in RM many years back).

As Simon said, I wouldnt skimp on wheels and chassis, its akin to having poor baseboards and could lead to disappointment, wasting both time and money.

For coupling milled Rods etc the likes of Premier (they also do basic brass chassis kits too) may be helpful to you (allowing you then to build whatever body you like)?

http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/

Not sure how you are with brass kits yet PRMRP do a fantastic little 02 kit and Tower a slightly cruder version in whitemetal (the former is cheaper, the latter is easier to build?) - both can be built into nice models with a little effort.

ABS et al do a nice range of good quality brass and whitemetal kits and as with all kits, wheels, motor, gearbox, paint and transfers, name plates et al have to be factored in - as well as time and effort.

There is no one 'go to' shop for parts and one has to learn the market place - most things are available, yet quality, ie Lost Wax Brass parts well modelled and well cast, cost. It depends if you want 'cheap and cheerful' or value for money. I take the latter route in the view of making something that is cost effective but, hopefully, doesnt look cheap and will last a life time if needed. Of course if money is no object then the sky is the limit!

There are some great cottage industry suppliers out there and if you need specific items then PM me and I will do my best to help.

The usual caveat applies in that I have no business interests in any suppliers or manufacturers - just a satisfied customer, yet many suppliers become friends to many modellers over the years.

I would recommend joining the Gauge O Guild as they have some good second hand sales and also a nice journal and shows (with second hand sales) - even if you only join for a year or two and see how such sits with you, the membership fee often pays for its self with advice and second hand bargains.

Having said all of the above, we all await the outcome of the Dapol 08, and although not perfect, the Dapol Router/Terrier is a good starting point for a RTR model, if imperfect in parts (a review in BRM this month so I understand - yet to get mine) and at about £170 sovs one would be hard pushed to build a kit for such. A Brass RTR Terrier was IIRC approx £650! The Ixion models are great too and I have just purchased a Fowler for a very reasonable sum of money - I couldnt build one as nice for the price. Dont forget there are always birthdays and Christmas and my family all know what I want and either buy separately, club together or give me spend anywhere vouchers. I am also still selling off old 'OO' too.

Anything can be built from scratch with what I like to phrase as; 'will, skill, intent and time', ie those are the criteria for a decent model to my mind (also factor in the fun and enjoyment - ie each to their own).

As for easy layout construction also have a look a Marc Smith's work, I now own Draycott, click on the link below my name (there are other links within the Thread taking you to Marc's excellent methods and work).

Hope that helps.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing results of your progress.

Kind regards,

CME

And, Ivan Prior is the master supplier to the budget-conscious railwayman:

http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page61.html

Although his £26 chassis is intended for 16mm/ft scale, his wheel sets have quite fine flanges, so would possibly be fine for 0 scale.

When I embarked on studies second time around, I used to take one of Ivan's kits, and a few tools with me, when I went for a block of time at university. Ideal way of retaining sanity when the textbooks became too much, and avoiding spending time in the bar.

K

And, Ivan Prior is the master supplier to the budget-conscious railwayman:

http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page61.html

Although his £26 chassis is intended for 16mm/ft scale, his wheel sets have quite fine flanges, so would possibly be fine for 0 scale.

When I embarked on studies second time around, I used to take one of Ivan's kits, and a few tools with me, when I went for a block of time at university. Ideal way of retaining sanity when the textbooks became too much, and avoiding spending time in the bar.

K

Hi,

It could be argued that;

http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/16loco.html

http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/16intro.html

Offers even more cost effective options, they do a nice little universial chassis kit (£7.70) - which can be used in 'O' gauge (7mm FS) too, I have used them.

I wish that I had kept model-making when doing my post-grad studies as I was working long hours there just wasnt the time - railway modelling can be so therapeutic.

ATVB

CME

I've been buying ready built O gauge wagons on eBay, for around half the price of the unmade kit including postage. They're not perfect, but so far there's been nothing wrong that a bit of work won't fix, one day when I get round to it. To get started though, they run pretty well, and look good enough that there's no rush to do anything with them.

I've been buying ready built O gauge wagons on eBay, for around half the price of the unmade kit including postage. They're not perfect, but so far there's been nothing wrong that a bit of work won't fix, one day when I get round to it. To get started though, they run pretty well, and look good enough that there's no rush to do anything with them.

I have bought a few that way and a few cheap sprues of parts from Parkside and the model is good to go - but one has to be a little wary as there is some over priced and poor quality 'O' guage on Ebay et al.

I have bought a few that way and a few cheap sprues of parts from Parkside and the model is good to go - but one has to be a little wary as there is some over priced and poor quality 'O' guage on Ebay et al.

I was watching a Slaters MR van, until I noticed that one side had been fitted upside down! It pays to study the photos carefully, to avoid the rubbish. I've been pretty luck so far, and the only problem I've had is the one that had both axles bent in the post, that I got a refund for to pay for the parts to fix it. Watch out for unmade Coopercraft kits. I got one for £8 including postage, and by the time I'd spent £9.25 on Slaters wheels it wasn't a bad price. But as the Slaters improved version includes wheels, paying much more than that isn't a good deal.

I've got enough wagons to get started now, so I'll be a bit more choosy in selecting the bargains from now on. Unless it's very cheap!

I was watching a Slaters MR van, until I noticed that one side had been fitted upside down! It pays to study the photos carefully, to avoid the rubbish. I've been pretty luck so far, and the only problem I've had is the one that had both axles bent in the post, that I got a refund for to pay for the parts to fix it. Watch out for unmade Coopercraft kits. I got one for £8 including postage, and by the time I'd spent £9.25 on Slaters wheels it wasn't a bad price. But as the Slaters improved version includes wheels, paying much more than that isn't a good deal.

I've got enough wagons to get started now, so I'll be a bit more choosy in selecting the bargains from now on. Unless it's very cheap!

Thats great advice.

Yes Cooper craft were great VFM and Barrie Norman has done some great work on one or two in MRJ.

Your MO sounds very similar to mine.

ATVB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies, I've spent the last couple of weeks hanging around waiting for bargains of wheels/motors/chassis on ebay and have acquired parts suitable for building an LNER J50/51 so plans of either (or both) of these are now required!

If anyone has these, or access to them, could you point me in the right direction? I wouldn't be surprised if they had been in the Railway Modeller at some point but my huge collection of them isn't accessible at the moment.

The stuff made by Jim Read is very impressive Don, and thank you for your very comprehensive reply CME!

As I'm just starting out in this scale, I really do appreciate all of your help, so thank you.

Jagger

Thank you for all your help with the black five, its gone on the back burner for a while as I am seriously considering a move up to 7mm scale from 4mm, I love the weight that you get from the size of o gauge, its just impressive without being ridiculously big! I bought a slaters kit cheaply so I have a 13T coal wagon and I have upgraded and old scratch-built MR 10T brake van. The van is by no means a scale model but does, I hope, portray a van recycled by a colliery to use on their steeply graded line to the mainline exchange sidings. The end windows have been boarded over and the door replaced, and various planks replaced over time. The interior and other end wall is yet to be finished, as is the inside of the coal truck.

21864152106_2563039906_k.jpg21878383592_66d9713ef5_k.jpg

The colour of the wagon is all wrong, it was just put on as a base coat to unify it all! I am going for 1960's industrial so everything 'colliery owned' will be very grotty and dull indeed, with the BR wagons not being much better! I am also using a lima motor bogie to make a quick and simple skirted loco, based on a photo of an Aberdeen Gas Works loco, "City of Aberdeen". This is just so I can have a play and alternative motive power is being looked into! (Read as - I'm drooling over and Ixion Hudswell Clarke)

Any advice on suppliers of parts such as couplings, buffers and wheels would be appreciated, as I simply cannot afford full price anything as I'm a student! Having said that, I do also really enjoy scratch building! I will dismantle my extensive 00 layout as and when I can get to it and maybe sell on some stuff that I really have no need for to fund the move up to 7mm scale!

Jagger

That brake van is a very atmospheric hand-me-down, patched up item from an industrial railway. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Martin, just the atmosphere I wanted to convey!!

Well I have been slowly thinking and plodding away on the locomotive front and due to a rather weak moment, I ended up with a running chassis from ebay, with dimensions roughly similar to that of a J50. Well it was an 0-6-2/2-6-0 when I bought it, but I figured the drivers were far too large for anything industrial with such a wheel arrangement, so the pony truck went!

22468042385_3441ef5c6c_k.jpg

Here is a plan I drew up to give me the important dimensions, so that it still looks like a J50, but I thought it would fit more with the "recycled" guard's van if it had had an industrial rebuild at some point in its life, so I redesigned the cab/bunker and drew up a giesel chimney, supposing the locomotive had been a test bed for the colliery buying ex-mainline locomotives. This also accounts for the (rather crudely flanges filed off) flangeless centre drivers, in my mind anyway.

Let me know what you think, and I was wondering if anyone knows what size the allen key is for the centre of Slaters (I think) wheels, as one of the washers on the axle between the frames and wheels is bent and causing a tight spot occasionally on one of the axles, so ideally I need to get the wheel off to solve this! Also, does anyone know what thread the (I presume Slaters again) crank pins are as I need to secure my con rods when I eventually source/make these.

22479035221_789b4b4ac0_k.jpg

22454724602_988331fb72_k.jpg

21846914833_c153240c24_k.jpg

Again, your opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Jagger

Archived