Parkway modern image layout

MrB

Hello everyone

Just a quick post to keep the Parkway flowing. I have completed all ballast and the point problems are all sorted now thank goodness!

Had a final go round all the track to ensure that all tracks were free from any bits of ballast that might have got where you don't want it to get!! Definitely ready for the airbrush now prior to getting some scenery on the go.

Meanwhile, a few photos to show you what else has been going on since the previous post. Treated myself to GBRf 66711 "Sence" so a couple of photos of it on it's first duty which was to haul a couple of Drax biomass wagons to their destination. Just to be clear, I only have the two wagons (one of each design) and that is it!!

The other photographs are of 37682 which I have completed for my friend. As mentioned previously, it has been re-sprayed into the "Ghost" livery of silver white with flint grey roof, bonnet tops, front windows and all grills except those on the nose sides. I am quite please with the result really and it is an unusual livery but accurate for the time it was done in 1996. Don't think it lasted long like this but a nice loco to add to the ERA 8 fleet.

Just about completed 37403 "Isle of Mull" as per DRS re-paint, so will post some photos on my next posting.

As usual, please feel free to comment or pass on any advice.

Regards

John

post-6270-0-21094100-1503941569_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-86488100-1503941581_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-09137800-1503941590_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-50902800-1503941600_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-67446800-1503941609_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-62400900-1503941617_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCClark
  • Like 7

Thank you very much Class 66.

I have just edited my previous post where I said livery was early 80s - complete rubbish!! The photos I used for livery were taken at Thornaby in 1996 and, supposedly, this was a primer coat.

I believe some class 60s were also turned out for a short period like this and all were prior to receiving their sectorisation liveries.

Although a simple livery (except for masking for the grills!) I think it looks really unusual and a nice edition to the fleet.

John

Thank you very much Class 66.

I have just edited my previous post where I said livery was early 80s - complete rubbish!! The photos I used for livery were taken at Thornaby in 1996 and, supposedly, this was a primer coat.

I believe some class 60s were also turned out for a short period like this and all were prior to receiving their sectorisation liveries.

Although a simple livery (except for masking for the grills!) I think it looks really unusual and a nice edition to the fleet.

John

Hi John, Nice work!

Yes some 60's received this livery along with several class 56's, see here with an all white roof!  https://www.flickr.com/photos/freightcarkid/14813939358/in/photolist-oz4j4y-hqXdcr-bpFm8i-7Mh3sd-7Mh3Kh-nVPVpj-5UAGMF-7Md5T6-6d7yaA-7Pm4Qa-7Mmw8o-hqXdt8-ECbLif-hqXdxB-hqXdsr-hqVxz8-hqXLff-hqXdxX-wP68XE-hqTxB6-hqXdjk-hqVxuD-hqVxoB-cqxWTU-hqTxLp-hqTxL4-hqVxog-9X18dZ-nvM5nP-hqXL8S-f51DKF-7fVSJm-dyNeBE-hqVxor-w9upEq-JLso7j-ErGuWT-ea3FxM-SwfPkt-JVithP-Ssva8m-HF31ZF-HaRYms-yeRx6Z-MK3vbi-p1sTwH-PJZVpY-J4y5AQ-KLbwMy-PXCoZW

It was carried out as locos were receiving overhaul during the EWS takeover and the livery had not been decided/agreed, hence these locos then became the first for repaint. What is scary is that was 21 years ago!

Cheers

Simon

Hello Simon

Thank you very much for that information. Did not realise it was pre EWS livery and not Trainload. Makes sense and did not think EWS was all those years ago.

By the way - see you are in Northwich, I was at my daughters down there two weeks ago and also was there in 1965 when there was 28 steam locomotives on Northwich shed!

Best regards

John

• Like 1

Thank you very much Class 66.I have just edited my previous post where I said livery was early 80s - complete rubbish!! The photos I used for livery were taken at Thornaby in 1996 and, supposedly, this was a primer coat.I believe some class 60s were also turned out for a short period like this and all were prior to receiving their sectorisation liveries.Although a simple livery (except for masking for the grills!) I think it looks really unusual and a nice edition to the fleet.John

Looks good , never seen one before like this. Also 37174 was around in primer in same sort of era due the same issue

Hello Simon

Thank you very much for that information. Did not realise it was pre EWS livery and not Trainload. Makes sense and did not think EWS was all those years ago.

By the way - see you are in Northwich, I was at my daughters down there two weeks ago and also was there in 1965 when there was 28 steam locomotives on Northwich shed!

Best regards

John

Hi John,

Yes Northwich shed, myself and Chris were contemplating doing a Northwich based layout over 10 years ago but the problem was the ICI hoppers or lack of which Hattons are now producing. Would still like to model Northwich shed though in the early 80's. I am in Kingsmead just outside the centre.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Hope you enjoyed the video posted by Roy yesterday. You can see what I mean about my diverse rolling stock from the stock I was running!

As mentioned before, I can run an all 80s set up or complete modern day.

The track, as per video, is all weathered now and preparing a start on scenery. I intended the country end had a stone road bridge over the double track so purchased a laser kit which was ideal size for my requirements and went together very well. Unfortunately, when painting up, I was very disappointed with the "flatness" of the bridge facing so have bitten the bullet and overlaid some profiled plasticard to achieve more

detail. I have attempted to replicate the arch by applying some air dried clay and scoring the arch to look like original formation stones. A before and after photo attached for comment. Plan is now to coat with primer and start dry brushing for the correct effect!

post-6270-0-18747900-1505114948_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-19689300-1505114960_thumb.jpg

I have also now completed 37403 "Isle of Mull" in Large Logo as per re-painted by DRS and have added a couple of photos of the loco crossing the canal to the TMD and one on the main line next to my Hornby class 67 re-spray 67004 "Cairn Gorm" paused on the up sleeper.

post-6270-0-57542600-1505114907_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-97361700-1505114920_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-49509200-1505114933_thumb.jpg

Not all goes well though, I made a real mess of my GNER TGS coach when attempting to take apart. A major run off with a Stanley knife made an awful mess. Luckily I have managed to replace the coach for £19 off Ebay so will get back to the drawing board as I slowly complete my re-spraying of a full rake of GNER Mark3 coaches.

As always, please feel free to comment on progress.

Regards

John

• Like 3

Hello all,

The latest thing soon to be running on Parkway will be the Scotrail HST set HA01, this is the temporary crew training livery for the Scotrail HST and is a 1 off. The livery will be silver featuring the skylines of the 7 cities of Scotland. There will be no TGS in the sets and a smaller Buffet.

The power cars are a set of Hornby ones de-branded from FGW, along with the two TSOs which again are de-branded FGWs. The TGS is in the post and will be de-branded, the TRFB will have to be a respray as there is no suitable TRFB from Hornby in FGW colours. I will be using a correct TRUB which has the correct window arrangement.

Transfers are available from http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3003

HST2

HST3

HST4

HST5

HST6

Still a work in progress with the two coaches missing

Regards

Roy
Edited by MrB
  • Like 1

Hello everyone

Just a quick post to keep the Parkway flowing. I have completed all ballast and the point problems are all sorted now thank goodness!

Had a final go round all the track to ensure that all tracks were free from any bits of ballast that might have got where you don't want it to get!! Definitely ready for the airbrush now prior to getting some scenery on the go.

Meanwhile, a few photos to show you what else has been going on since the previous post. Treated myself to GBRf 66711 "Sence" so a couple of photos of it on it's first duty which was to haul a couple of Drax biomass wagons to their destination. Just to be clear, I only have the two wagons (one of each design) and that is it!!

The other photographs are of 37682 which I have completed for my friend. As mentioned previously, it has been re-sprayed into the "Ghost" livery of silver white with flint grey roof, bonnet tops, front windows and all grills except those on the nose sides. I am quite please with the result really and it is an unusual livery but accurate for the time it was done in 1996. Don't think it lasted long like this but a nice loco to add to the ERA 8 fleet.

Just about completed 37403 "Isle of Mull" as per DRS re-paint, so will post some photos on my next posting.

As usual, please feel free to comment or pass on any advice.

Regards

John

attachicon.gifIMG_4460.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4461.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4462.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4463.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4464.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4465.JPG

Hi mate the 37 looks ace in the undercoat livery i saw some of the locos you mention around Doncaster and Chesterfield ive uploaded some photos i took there not great and there photos of photos but hope you like em

post-28330-0-05671700-1505400907_thumb.jpg

post-28330-0-77843500-1505400852_thumb.jpg

post-28330-0-66348700-1505400946_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Vulcan Product fan

Thanks for posting the photos - a real interesting time wasn't it?

I was pleased with the re-spray results and nice to have done an unusual livery for Roy.

Will get some video done next time Roy visits and hopefully get his Scotrail 125 running also.

Best regards

John

• Like 1

Hi Danny

Thank you very much for the kind words. Thought I had bitten off more than I could chew for a while but getting there I think. The electronics were the big challenge as I had never had all my accessories controlled by DCC before. Roy has been the main man behind all this and, thankfully, the layout is running really well now and just been making up routes on the ECoS controller. What an awesome bit of kit ESU have turned out with this item.

I am making a conscious effort to get going on the scenery so, hopefully, the layout will take on a considerable different aspect.

As always, open to any constructive criticism and advice.

Best regards

John

Good evening everyone

A couple of photographs this evening, one showing the completed bridge cladding, washes, weathering etc and the other can only be termed as a lesson learned!!

After cladding the laser cut bridge with Slaters stone plasticard, I gave the completed cladding a coat of Halfords grey primer. Followed this with a dark wash from the Hornby enamel range and then dry brushed a few different coloured tones over the stone work. I finally used some different coloured earthen crayons to complete. I am hoping the bridge will now blend in well with the proposed scenery around it - we will see!!

post-6270-0-72488300-1505765387_thumb.jpg

The lesson learned was that no matter how small a loco modification you are going to carry out - ensure you do your homework thoroughly!! I purchased some excellent Freightliner Class 70 Fan unit from Rainbow Railways (already pre-coloured) to affix to my two Class 70s - 70001 and 70004 as I had already completed the same modification on my Colas class 70.

As you can see from the attached photograph, Freightliner obviously re-applied a smaller Logo after the fan modification! you can see that the original as bought Bachmann locos have the letter "r" on the door that takes the fan and, on the other side, the door has the letter "F"on it!!

post-6270-0-85884200-1505765400_thumb.jpg

I am not really inclined to remove the Freightliner legend just to get the fan mods installed, especially as 70001 is a Freightliner Limited Edition so have decided to leave as is! I will ensure that any other loco work has my full attention!!

Thanks for looking at the Parkway and any comments or advice are welcome.

Regards

John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

After a lengthly spell for me away from Parkway, I finally returned for the first time since April to take some more running time.

Sadly Youtube have removed their online video editing software, I have no HD video editing software so the video is in standard definition.

Regards

Roy

• Like 3

Hello everyone

As you can see from the previous post from Roy, we had a good running session on Parkway including the "Ghost" 37 I did for Roy and my new Hornby GWR HST. Absolutely delighted with the model and now await the delivery of the 8 coach set to make up LA15 set. I am hoping I can get some number sets from Steve at Railtec so I can have all the coaches correctly numbered!

Talking of Railtec, I have just completed applying the superb "The Welshman" decals to 43188 and delighted with the result. I have also changed the bodies between 43187 and 43188 so that "The Welshman" is the powered car. Both PCs have been fitted with a Lenz silver decoder and run superbly. I have also posted a photo of some of the Parkway's HST units lined up - enjoy.post-6270-0-57326900-1506720801_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-20524600-1506720817_thumb.jpg

I must get on with the scenery now (once I have completed Inverness based 47563 "Woman's Guild" in Large Logo!!

As usual, please feel free to comment or advise.

Regards

John

• Like 5

Hello Gary

It is an 8 coach set so have ordered TGS, TRFB, TFO and 5 TSO. They are all numbered correctly for LAIRA015 set but obviously Hornby do not do the full set of numbers.

That should be as follows - Coach A (TGS) 44040, Coach B (TSO) 42301, Coach C (TSO) 42299, Coach D (TSO) 42351, Coach E (TSO) 42579, Coach F (TSO) 42300, Coach K (TRFB) and Coach L (TFO) 41146.

There used to be two first class coaches but they modified some to TSO status in 2015. The Laira sets are classed as low density sets.

Hope that helps.

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

That "Welshman" looks superb, as do the GWR liveried power cars and new Mk3's. Just can't justify splashing out on a complete 9+2 set just now with other stuff that's been pre-ordered etc.

I know I'll come to regret it, more so when the Hornby 800 which I've ordered arrives next January.