Neil's diesel electric and electric photo thread

• RMweb Gold

Hello all

spurred on by some good discussions in the my diesel hydraulic galleries I've decided to start posting some of my photos of diesel electrics. electrics, DMUs and EMUs many of which have not seen the light of day.

Most are purchased from ebay with copyright from the past decade or so. Many are quite rare (why they were bought in the first place), and I hope they are of use to modellers

I hope you enjoy. All images are my copyright.

First is NBL type 2s (class 21) D6100 and D6101 almost brand new at what I think is St Rollox in 1960

post-6925-0-21549900-1423425552.jpg

Next a shot of our old friend HS4000 at Cricklewood in 1969

post-6925-0-37106800-1423322467_thumb.jpg

and last for today, Brighton Belle at Hassocks, 23rd March 1972

post-6925-0-76708400-1423322495_thumb.jpg

Neil

• RMweb Gold

A mix of 1960s-1980s today

1960s class 15 at an unknown location - help where would be appreciated.(edit: image reversed)

post-6925-0-12043300-1423423406.jpg

1970s - Scrapped class 24, 24 006 used at Eastfield for rerailing exercises, 17th September 1978. It replaced a Clayton type 1 (class 17) that I saw in the same spot in November 1975.

post-6925-0-22499400-1423420958_thumb.jpg

1980s - class 123 DMU set at Doncaster after transferring from the WR.

post-6925-0-78136700-1423421299_thumb.jpg

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Does this help Neil?

I hope you don't mind my flipping it in Photoshop to get it the right way round.

1960s class 15 at an unknown location - help where would be appreciated.

post-5613-0-20849700-1423422955.jpg

David

Like the 123 at Doncaster, excuse my ignorance but where on the Western Region did they work?

Phill :)

London - Reading

London - Swindon

London - South Wales

IIRC

Seemingly they reached Penzance on services from Cardiff as well!

According to this web site:

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/electrification/mast_prefix.shtm    NOTE My anti virus is not sure about this site, it gives it a "?" rating.

Masts with "C" are Bethnal Green to Kings Lynn.

Is this any use?

David

That is current, presumably - so we can rule out north of Cambridge.

Although it is debateable whether a 15 would have been allowed to go that far away in case of failure.

The train does seem rather impressive in length for 800hp.

London - Reading

London - Swindon

London - South Wales

IIRC

Seemingly they reached Penzance on services from Cardiff as well!

Not sure about the second and third routes. They were the units that never seemed to find a home. They spent the first seven or so years allocated to the Cardiff Division, and were initially used on workings from South Wales to Birmingham/Derby/Sheffield (Saltley driver L C Jacks refers to driving them north of Brum in his book "A Driver's Reminiscences"), often in multiple with Swindon Cross Country sets, and to Devon. They were then moved to the Cardiff to Portsmouth route, being split into 6 car formations for some of the time.

They then moved to the London Division, which was where I knew them, working a variety of Thames Valley semi-fast services to Didcot, Oxford, Newbury and (I think) Henley. On Summer Saturdays they worked to Minehead while the branch remained open, as well as helping out on Reading depot's other DMU diagrams (I remember a 7 car set, consisting of a 117 and a 123, working a morning all-stations Thames Valley local one Saturday - my father photographed it when we got on at Tilehurst and again at Reading). In their early days in the London Division, they also worked some of the remaining Paddington - New Street via Bicester semi-fasts. There was a panoramic photo taken near Saunderton in (I think) Modern Railways some time in 1971 showing a set where one power car had been replaced by a 121 Pressed Steel single unit. Anyone for London to Birmingham in a non-gangwayed, toilet-less suburban single unit?

They then went back to the Cardiff Division in 1976 or so, and seem to have seen little use (Bristol locals and the North & West route) before being stored in 1977.

I really liked them - as a child, I didn't know about their B4 bogies or their Albion engines, but their looks made them stand out, and I loved the interiors, with side corridors and compartments in a couple of coaches - very different from the usual fare of Pressed Steel suburbans. Odd to think there were only ten of them....and Phill, you definitely need a set to run alongside your fabulous hydraulics!

David

• RMweb Premium

According to this web site:

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/electrification/mast_prefix.shtm    NOTE My anti virus is not sure about this site, it gives it a "?" rating.

Masts with "C" are Bethnal Green to Kings Lynn.

Is this any use?

David

I was going to suggest somewhere on the Lea Valley line which would fit in with the lettering on the overhead line structure plate.  The cylindrical section structures might narrow it down a bit.

• RMweb Premium

The mast in the class 15 pic reads CM47. CM is Cheadle-Hulme to Macclesfield according to Dave's post. That would make the location between Cheadle-Hulme Junction and Macclesfield. As the distance between those two points is about 7 to 8 miles I assume that the 47 applies to something other than distance.

• RMweb Gold

An eclectic mix this morning on my coffee break, before departing for Plymouth lunchtime.

Next to WR hydraulics, I'm a huge fan of class 40s - rarely seen on the WR in the 1970s (well not in Bristol at least). I have quite a hefty collection of EE type 4 slides!

40 023 at Crewe works (edit)

post-6925-0-98543700-1423475446_thumb.jpg

Next a class 506 unit at Reddish (image mislabelled a class 501) on 7th May 1981 - I only went to Reddish the once in August 1977, fascinating place. Note the grounded class 76 next to it!

post-6925-0-50652200-1423475480_thumb.jpg

Last but not least a class 24 at Birmingham New Street during the development work there (can you spot the Rotunda of the Bull Ring?). Date and loco unknown but during the 1960s.

post-6925-0-42717100-1423475500_thumb.jpg

Neil

The mast in the class 15 pic reads CM47. CM is Cheadle-Hulme to Macclesfield according to Dave's post. That would make the location between Cheadle-Hulme Junction and Macclesfield. As the distance between those two points is about 7 to 8 miles I assume that the 47 applies to something other than distance.

I suspect the only way a Class 15 would get as far as that would be if it was being towed...The 'C' and the 'M' are on different lines, whereas the normal format for mast labels seems to be to have the letters indicating the route on one line. The 'M' would seem to be part of a secondary description- perhaps 'Main'?

I'd suggest the photo is somewhere on the Lea Valley route.

Could the 'M' actually be a digit (or a pair of), rather than a letter? The numbering system seems to consist normally of:-

Alphabetic line identification

Number indicating mileage from datum point.

Number indicating the individual mast within that mile

If that 'M' was in fact a blurred '11', that would narrow it down to between Ponder's End and Brimsdown

40023 at Guide Bridge - something does not look quite right.

The mast in the background seems more WCML than Woodhead electrification.

The loco appears to have been stored/withdrawn for a time judging by its condition. It was withdrawn from Kingmoor and cut up at Crewe Works.

I wonder how it has found its way to Guide Bridge?

• RMweb Premium

40023 at Guide Bridge - something does not look quite right.

The mast in the background seems more WCML than Woodhead electrification.

The loco appears to have been stored/withdrawn for a time judging by its condition. It was withdrawn from Kingmoor and cut up at Crewe Works.

I wonder how it has found its way to Guide Bridge?

I agree. It looks a bit like the wall in Crewe Works alongside the Crewe - Holyhead line, which I think was electrified at that point.

Here we have it at Crewe Works in 1982/3, and it appears to be in better condition than the above photo.

So, I would hazard a guess the later one is from sometime in 1984, because it was cut up in December of that year.

post-4474-0-06771600-1423482105_thumb.jpg

Archived