Neil's diesel electric and electric photo thread

I bought this slide on Ebay, and I thought it would interest quite a few folk on this site, and could have been included in various threads. I do not recognise the location although I assume it is on the GWML somewhere as 47054 was a WR loco for its first 20 years or so.

What interested me on the Ebay image was what appears to be a Park Royal dmu behind the loco. One car is blue and the other is civil engineer's yellow. What also became apparent after scanning was that the 4th and 5th vehicles seem to be blue/grey liveried Stanier sleeping coaches.

Any extra info that people can provide would be most welcome.

post-4474-0-27725500-1426702895.jpg

10th March 1977.

I have done a bit more research on the photo, and enlarged the original scan. The writing on the yellow vehicle includes "Viaduct Inspection Unit", which makes the MBS DB975137 ex-M50397 from class 103.

This web page http://www.recycledrailcars.com/a-history-of-the-103s.html mentions that M56160 received collision damage to the driver's cab which can be seen in the photo, so I am presuming that the DTC is DB975228.

However, the site also mentions that - "56160 was stored at Plymouth (1972/73) Penzance Long Rock (1974) Didcot, Old Oak Common and Harwich until finally arriving  into preservation at Shackerstone in 1978."

Which is a little confusing if the train is travelling west and the date is March 1977.

Edited: to cut out the result of a brief senior moment

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Scours Lane (between Reading and Tilehurst) to me, with the train heading west on the Down Relief - but WR London Division gurus Brian Daniels and Stationmaster Mike may know better......

David

It is very definitely just west of Scours Lane and the train is indeed on the Down Relief - I suspect that the photo was taken from the eastern end of Tilehurst station car park.

Archived