CAF to build new LHCS for Caledonian Sleeper

Most 

The Grand Hibernian is Mk3s to be running in Ireland, while the Royals Scotsman is older Pullmans running in Scotland, so both within UK loading gauge. Just goes to show what is possible if you don't mind having fewer compartments per coach. Not to my taste, but very tasteful.

Not quite as luxurious but still impressive, Platinum Class on the Ghan and Indian Pacific in Australia.
http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/custom/files/media/Platinum_Service_Thumb.jpg
http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/custom/files/media/Platinum_Night.jpg

Cheers
David

Most London estate agents would describe these a large bedrooms as you can swing a cat in all three. Wouldn't mind a trip on any three although will try the Caledonian first in current guise. 

Edited by flapland

• 2 years later...

So what looks like yet another coupling for Britain's railway!

Why the hell couldn't they have conventional drop head buckeye couplers?

I think I've read that it's to avoid manual coupling, the dellners (same as most modern MUs) can be operated without a person entering the 4ft which is inherently safer than having someone drop down between coaches and/or locos.

Is it just me that thinks the bogies look like someone forgot to finish them off, and the wheels are about to fall off...?

Amtrak Amfleet cars look much the same when the wheels are shiny. Give them a few days in traffic and they will be so grimy the casual eye won't see it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ck4049/6786595407/

Cheers

David

I think I've read that it's to avoid manual coupling, the dellners (same as most modern MUs) can be operated without a person entering the 4ft which is inherently safer than having someone drop down between coaches and/or locos.

Essentially, the sleeper stock already runs as a series of fixed sets, with the only (un)coupling being between the various portions of the trains. Within each set, what the coupler is is irrelevant. The days of every coach having to have standard drawgear each end go back to the days when train compositions were varied on a regular basis and every coach had to be able to couple to every other.

It will be interesting to see what the arrangements are for a full train set.

Jim

Will they need to fit Thunderbird 57 style Delners to the 73's, 92's and 86's that haul them?

The 73/9s are currently being fitted with at least 2 back in Scotland with them. Assume the 92s will be next.

Only visible to members sadly

• RMweb Gold

Not really as you still have to go in for the brake pipes and ETH jumpers

Will they need to fit Thunderbird 57 style Delners to the 73's, 92's and 86's that haul them?

Don't forget the 90s, 67s, 66s and 47!

The 73/9s are currently being fitted with at least 2 back in Scotland with them. Assume the 92s will be next.

Only visible to members sadly

As mentioned above, the first 2 73s with the Delner Couplings are already back and operating in Scotland with GBRf & Wabtec actually opting for the ROG Style Drop Delner head coupling. These will only be fitted as far as I'm aware to the 73s and 92s. I'm not aware of any plans to fit any other locos with them - The 67 Should be long gone thankfully be the time the Mk5s are in service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seasprite_v1/35879434811/in/photolist-WExtX2-WmExso-VEP4bz-TQM3EK-TQwaSa-TQwaK6-Ts5F3C-TPPNuk-SMms46-U24HXp-TM91H1-TPtyHx-TXrFBJ-U24s64-SMfKng-TEkS8X-Tt5V8a-RVtqpG-SC52T5-SY6wQJ-SY6bnj-T5NA66-SzTTQp-SzMwvH-SzMuei-RuBUhQ-SxmHkS-SHtpkJ-Sza4sM-RoQ4pj-RcLFKt-RopsLY-Rboduq-Qoy9uY-Qbeekn-Pt8HQb-PNXtgJ-Q2Xskk-Q1hTCZ-NLNyhp-Q1hzCk-PMmrfL-P2TZRQ-P3ZtCE-NVRRi7-NV2y3F-N627R9-NX6gGi-MZfdvq-MYYA3K

• RMweb Premium

That assumes you don't integrate air / power connections into the coupling as per EMUs / DMUs. Alternatively you could go for high level connections as seen on Southern region EMUs which can be joined and separated on the platform

Both methods are a lot safer than having someone struggle in the 4ft trying to do it and with a dedicated fleet of locos it wouldn't be beyond the whit of an engineer to fit either option to them if required.

The stock, locomotives included, that is used for the Le Shuttle services through the Channel Tunnel is equipped with Scharfenberg/Dellner couplings that include everything from databus connections to the power supplies (1500V IIRC) for the onboard hotel services on each set of wagons, as well as the air and brake pipes.

In comparison, an all services autocoupler for the sleeper stock ought to be no problem.

Normally, the only problem would be what happens in the event that the train has to be rescued, but any semblance of common sense in this department disappeared some time ago when the standard of side buffers and drawhook/buckeye coupler was allowed to lapse.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you can manage coupling and uncoupling without needing workers to position themselves between vehicles then that is what should be done. Especially when the days of coaches being coupled up to a range of other coaches in mixed sets have gone, these sleepers will be fixed sets and won't mix with other stock. I remember when people made a big issue of this when DMUs and EMUs went over to the more modern style of couplers which include all of the control and brake connections but in practice it seems to have worked very well.

At least they are using an existing coupling type,  if they need to be rescued the Thunderbirds are fitted with Delners. 

With all the DFT meddling over rolling stock procurement It would be nice to see a standard coupling and MW code instigated. Preferably a proper BR(S) style arrangement that let virtually any combination of passenger stock be coupled together and driven as 1 unit.

• RMweb Premium

At least they are using an existing coupling type,  if they need to be rescued the Thunderbirds are fitted with Delners. 

Only if everyone is using the same coupling height, which sadly isn't the case....

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That assumes you don't integrate air / power connections into the coupling as per EMUs / DMUs. Alternatively you could go for high level connections as seen on Southern region EMUs which can be joined and separated on the platform

Both methods are a lot safer than having someone struggle in the 4ft trying to do it and with a dedicated fleet of locos it wouldn't be beyond the whit of an engineer to fit either option to them if required.

See where you are coming from phil but that isn't happening as the locos aren't having these mods and you can't put the ETH through coupler heads, even when coupling to a pendilino a 57 still has to couple the ETH cables separately

I don't know what the modern railway has against manual coupling up ,yes its a bit dirty but if done correctly perfectly safe.