CAF to build new LHCS for Caledonian Sleeper

• RMweb Premium

I think there are two different window layouts going on there, separate cabin and day / reclining chair vehicles? There don't seem to be that many windows in the latter. Still, they look quite smart to me (and probably quite dull to others!)

• RMweb Premium

Why do they new brake force vehicles? Presumably as loco hauled stock the brakes are standard two pipe air

The extra brake force runners are there as the brake systems need recommissioning in the UK. It is likely this will be done at Polmadie depot.

Cheers,

Mick

The extra brake force runners are there as the brake systems need recommissioning in the UK. It is likely this will be done at Polmadie depot.

Cheers,

Mick

I'm not certain I see any reason for re-commissioning once they are in the UK - the brakes should have been commissioned before despatch from the builder's works, and the rules of physices don't change mid-Channel. What is more relevant is whether they needed vehicles as coupling adaptors.

Jim

I'm not certain I see any reason for re-commissioning once they are in the UK - the brakes should have been commissioned before despatch from the builder's works, and the rules of physices don't change mid-Channel. What is more relevant is whether they needed vehicles as coupling adaptors.

Jim

What they won't have is a head-end supply for the EP valves, hence the extra wagons for brake force. The same situation applies to the current deliveries of Thameslink and Desiro units, which have a wonderful selection of adaptor and brake-force vehicles, including former VTG Ferry vans, ex-Cargowaggon flats and various container wagons.

• RMweb Premium

What they won't have is a head-end supply for the EP valves, hence the extra wagons for brake force. The same situation applies to the current deliveries of Thameslink and Desiro units, which have a wonderful selection of adaptor and brake-force vehicles, including former VTG Ferry vans, ex-Cargowaggon flats and various container wagons.

Quite.

Passenger rolling stock (even that designed to be hauled by a separate locomotive - not just EMUs / DMUs) has moved on from the 'basic' air pipe found in earlier times - its not simply a case of hooking up an air brake hose gives you working brakes!. As such unless the said vehicles can be supplied with the required power / data commands (the 'Rail Operations Group class 37 used for taking the SE Electrostars for refurbishment at Derby having had a fully functional Deliner coupler and appropriate loco mods specifically to do this), then said coaches / units will not have any brakes and must be considered as 'piped vehicles' in freight terms. Hence the need for wagons to make up the numbers and ensure the train can stop.

That's fair enough. I wasn't expecting loco hauled stock to have only EP brakes, and that being the case, it is the first UK hauled rolling stock I am aware of that doesn't have conventional Westinghouse brake equipment. Lots of EMUs though, although up to and including the 455s, the EP brake was superimposed on top of conventional Westinghouse brakes.

Jim

Looking at the, albeit small, pictures that have come up so far that show the connection between the Mk5 and barrier wagons, the connector for the air and main res pipes appear to be situated under the Dellner and within the gangway. Presumably this is for rescues and drags using a loco with an adapter rather than a fully compatible Dellner, as it seems rather inconsiderate for regular parting and joining! Once the gangways are together it'd be impossible to couple the pipes, unless there's a trap door in the floor.

Looking at pictures of the class 73s so far fitted with the drop head Dellner, it appears to be plumbed into both the main res and brake pipes on the buffer beam.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfrombedford/24131164928/in/photolist-CLowBJ-CLowpQ-ZNgCzH-ZNgDUX-FQP1Sr-Dohqhp-21XmjXj-ErDkkU-FRGeDX-21wCQXp-21wCPEe-FQP1NZ-ZLWgVb-ZHesYC-FRmdTP-ZWfjbM-ZvYyCV-Ys5D6f-ZwMVeS-ZwPrVj-ZtZiFb-Z8YLP9-ZtrfEL-ZnCeV2-ZLNb9s-ZLNbo5-ZLNbyA-Z7dpXu-YbEdgo-YbMHPg-BStDhj-YeDyfq-Zu9ZH1-Z4XX9d-D2g8ix-YN5em9-YLvQ9w-FYhT4c-YxAQzq-XwP6C3-YxAR2h-Yh9tvd-223jStu-Y4J9wF-X1kXQ3-Yh4Bzn-Y4J7ZH-ZV7WNg-WNhTMm-WQy2vV

Whether the carriages are EP braked or traditional twin pipe, it seems the supply is coming through the coupler head. There's two circular apertures that look to be suitable for air, and no electrical box above or below to supply any EP commands so I'd surmise that the brakes are standard twin pipe, but supplied through the coupler head instead of standard rubber hoses.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/write/MediaUploads/new-caledonian-sleeper-carriages-on-the-road-to-velim-media1.jpg

I'm glad I've only got to deal with simple instanters, screw links and buckeyes and a red and yellow pipe - they can be trouble enough!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

I can't see how the LHCC has EP brakes as it's going to be hauled by 92s which are conventional two pipe air

The mk5s for tpe don't have them so why sleepers

Perhaps to decrease release times on the longer sleeper rakes?

• RMweb Gold

Well if the 73 with drop head delner is equipped to haul Mk5 sleeper stock they are not EP braked!

I am qualified to use the 57/3 translating equipment and there is non of this on TPE allocated 68s

• RMweb Premium

One thing I've noticed is that the windows seem to be quite low in the body side, is there any reason for this?

Andy g

There are two window heights - is that for seated and cabins?

Cheers,

Mick

There are two window heights - is that for seated and cabins?

Cheers,

Mick

Full set of coach drawings in this document. Quite large, so may take a while to load. Also lots of info about topics discussed here, couplings, water storage etc...

Juicy stuff starts around page 190

https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/39429/franchise-agreement-caledonian-sleeper-23-may-2014-redacted.pdf

Edit - working link

Edited by cal.n

Re what to do with the displaced stock, is the reintroduction of the South Wales sleeper trains ever likely to be viable?

I would say probably not. Available stock was never the issue because there were so many spare sleeper vehicles (at least previously).

Re what to do with the displaced stock, is the reintroduction of the South Wales sleeper trains ever likely to be viable?

Such a service will never be specified as part of a franchise.  DfT has no interest in marginal Welsh constituencies, and TfW has neither the clout nor the cash to fund a loss-making component of such an operation.  

The displaced stock is at the end of its design life anyway, so for the majority, scrap beckons.