DC Kits Class 303/AM3 EMU

Charlie has his own stand at Warley including real track DMUs. But you need to ring him to see if he can pull together a 303 kit.

What kits will be available from Charlie's stand but are not listed in the Warley trade guide.

That's not what i've been told.  A chap from my model club is working at Warley on the AJAY kit stand with DC kits on the same stand.

• 11 months later...

Hope its ok to resurrect this thread. Thinking of buying one of the DC Class 303 kits to build at a later date, having built many kits in plastic/brass/aluminium etc, having looked at the DC website my only concern is around the glazing, or more precisely is flush glazing available or possible? Or are the sides sufficiently thin to compromise this need?

Secondly I would consider using Bachmann LNER coach bogies on the non powered vehicles, are these correct for the 303 (thinking particularly around the axle boxes)?

Would appreciate any pointers and be interested to see photos of completed models from anyone who has built one?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hope its ok to resurrect this thread. Thinking of buying one of the DC Class 303 kits to build at a later date, having built many kits in plastic/brass/aluminium etc, having looked at the DC website my only concern is around the glazing, or more precisely is flush glazing available or possible? Or are the sides sufficiently thin to compromise this need?

Secondly I would consider using Bachmann LNER coach bogies on the non powered vehicles, are these correct for the 303 (thinking particularly around the axle boxes)?

Would appreciate any pointers and be interested to see photos of completed models from anyone who has built one?

Cheers,

Martyn.

The sides in the kit are plastic rather than etched or resin so are reasonably thick ... perhaps 1.5mm from memory

I found somewhere on the internet a series of pictures where someone has found a refurbished Class 303 in Strathclyde livery in the Ayrshire platforms of Glasgow Central where they've gone along and taken photo after photo of the details along the side of the unit from the opposite platform, perhaps 50 photos in total. If you can find those it might answer your question about the LNER coach bogies

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Over the years I've been building CL303 I've always returned to this site:-

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/303.htm

For information and inspiration - it's second to non.

A Google search for CL303 gives hunderds of photos to help.

Your first challenge is going to be getting hoild of a kit!

Somewhere else on here he has said that, in terms of the work and money required, that makng the kits available again has a very low priority.

Time to put search in place on eBay and hope to find one that way!

Thanks

The sides in the kit are plastic rather than etched or resin so are reasonably thick ... perhaps 1.5mm from memory

I found somewhere on the internet a series of pictures where someone has found a refurbished Class 303 in Strathclyde livery in the Ayrshire platforms of Glasgow Central where they've gone along and taken photo after photo of the details along the side of the unit from the opposite platform, perhaps 50 photos in total. If you can find those it might answer your question about the LNER coach bogies

Thanks Gordon, yes I was aware the kit is plastic so I'm guessing flush glazing would be a difficult and time consuming prospect.

I did do an image search on Google after searching Rmweb for "class 303", annoyingly I find Google often finds Rmweb photos and threads that searching Rmweb doesn't find! But I digress. There are some very good images on Google, although I've yet to find the detail shots you refer to.

I did find this whilst trawling Google, and from this parish to boot: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/33536-craigendoran-303043-helensburgh-to-airdrie-july-73-c1353/ which is the style/livery I anticipate mine would be, c. early 70s BR blue.

I suspect the bogies referred to had roller bearings but I'm not sure if this was "as built" condition.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Over the years I've been building CL303 I've always returned to this site:-

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/303.htm

For information and inspiration - it's second to non.

A Google search for CL303 gives hunderds of photos to help.

Your first challenge is going to be getting hoild of a kit!

Somewhere else on here he has said that, in terms of the work and money required, that makng the kits available again has a very low priority.

Time to put search in place on eBay and hope to find one that way!

Thanks

Ah, I got the impression from the DC Kits website they were available from stock: http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/kits_modelling/plastic_dmu_emu_coaching_stock_kits_from_dc_kits_incudes_locomotives_/non_southern_electric_multiple_units/class_303_scottish_region_25kv_multiple_unit_3_car_unit_.php I take from your comments this isn't the case then?

Yes I am familiar with the Eastbank website, it is brilliant, and indeed is the inspiration for putting a 303 on the to do list for a "maybe one day" layout I am daydreaming about! :-)

Just rang and had a chat with Charlie at DC Kits, as Scottish Modeller says this kit is not available (due to component availability) although he did mention he thinks he has bodyshells somewhere when he can find time to dig them out so this looks like it may be the only route in the short term future.

Thanks, some useful pics there, also some good ones of the preserved class 306 in the second link.

The 303 Motor Brake bogies look to be similar to those on the 304/305 (being a standard design presumably).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Following on from my phone conversation with Charlie last year and on the understanding that he could not supply full kits for the class 303, I recently received the body shells and bogies along with the other available bits he had in stock - basically all bar the underframe parts.

post-28743-0-75426500-1531911772_thumb.jpg

My plan is to use Triang Mk.1 coach chassis for the driving ends (suitably modified, rebogied etc) and a Replica powered chassis.

Any suggestion as to who supplies suitable pantographs these days? Functional "looks similar" will suffice as opposed to fragile 3d printed etc.

Hope to make a start on this kit over the coming weeks, which will be covered on my workbench thread.

Being on the "back burner" it has taken a while but I would like to thank Charlie Petty for taking the time to sort the parts out.

Martyn.

• Like 4

Martyn - I attempted a history of the class 303s a while back - the website was lost to a hacking attack but there is a version on the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20091125193627/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk:80/303tributepage1.htm

Also the original book published by BR for the introduction is available here 

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BRS_Glasgow1960.pdf

This document - if you scroll down to the bottom, has a rudimentary drawing with some info on dimensions 

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_EMUFailures1962.pdf

Jim

Martyn - I attempted a history of the class 303s a while back - the website was lost to a hacking attack but there is a version on the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20091125193627/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk:80/303tributepage1.htm

Also the original book published by BR for the introduction is available here

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BRS_Glasgow1960.pdf

This document - if you scroll down to the bottom, has a rudimentary drawing with some info on dimensions

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_EMUFailures1962.pdf

Jim

Thanks Jim, will have a browse through those links.

Martyn.

I found these while looking for something completely different - (as you do)  These were taken with an old 2mb digital camera at Summerlee many years ago.  They are of the 311 but I don't thing there were many differences to the underframe and bogies

post-188-0-85183000-1532262534.jpg

post-188-0-91816200-1532262751.jpg

post-188-0-56897000-1532262752.jpg

post-188-0-09663600-1532262753.jpg

post-188-0-71832300-1532262753.jpg

post-188-0-40994600-1532262755.jpg

Hope these are of interest

Jim

post-188-0-37126700-1532262754.jpg

• Like 4

I found these while looking for something completely different - (as you do) These were taken with an old 2mb digital camera at Summerlee many years ago. They are of the 311 but I don't thing there were many differences to the underframe and bogies

attachicon.giftrains 24-06-03 015.jpg

attachicon.giftrains 24-06-03 016.jpg

attachicon.giftrains 24-06-03 014.jpg

attachicon.giftrains 24-06-03 008.jpg

attachicon.giftrains 24-06-03 005.jpg

attachicon.giftrains 24-06-03 012.jpg

Hope these are of interest

Jim

Great Jim, side photos showing underframe arrangements, bogie relationship, roof vent positions etc are especially useful compared to the usual "3/4 view". There may be some differences between 303 and 311 underfloor equipment though, I'm not sure, but it certainly gives something to go off.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edit for correction.

Edited by Signaller69

Hi Martyn,

Glad to see someone else building these!  If it helps, I've got a set of underframes and parts you'll need for the driving cars (plus the motor car underframe etches), since I use Bachmann EPB chassis for my 303s now.  One of these days I'll actually finish my two I've got on the backburner....

What period are you modelling?  I might also be able to assist with photos and stuff from the preserved 303 at Bo'ness from a few years ago, before it was moved under cover.

Cheers,

Tim

I might also be able to assist with photos and stuff from the preserved 303 at Bo'ness from a few years ago, before it was moved under cover.

Cheers,

Tim

Figured you'd be able to supply some info, that was a useful trip to Bo'ness!!!!

Edited by D6775
  • Like 1

Hi Martyn,

Glad to see someone else building these!  If it helps, I've got a set of underframes and parts you'll need for the driving cars (plus the motor car underframe etches), since I use Bachmann EPB chassis for my 303s now.  One of these days I'll actually finish my two I've got on the backburner....

What period are you modelling?  I might also be able to assist with photos and stuff from the preserved 303 at Bo'ness from a few years ago, before it was moved under cover.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks, any info gratefully received! My period is c.1970; I have scoured online images which of course are mainly 3/4 view general photos so anything showing detail is especially welcome, detailed underframe plans etc especially so.

I hadn't considered the Bachmann EPB chassis but I can see how that would be a good option. I am trying to keep costs on my build down (other than the Replica powered chassis option I am considering) by the use of Triang Mk.1 chassis heavily modified with scratchbuilt parts etc for the other vehicles, however I am certainly interested in the parts you have available, perhaps you may care to PM me with details?

Thanks,

Martyn.

HI Martyn,

I went for the EPB chassis purely because it was (then) cheap and ran like a dream.  With the price hike in recent years, I may have to rethink that, but we shall see!

Given you're modelling them essentially "as built", you'll probably want to improve on the moulded sliding window vents.  On my original pair, I used Replica mk1 glazing, having carefully cut out the originals; I'm a big fan of flush glazing whereever possible.

Drop me a PM about the kit underframes; I've got loads of them, none of which I'll ever use!

Cheers,

Tim 

HI Martyn,

I went for the EPB chassis purely because it was (then) cheap and ran like a dream. With the price hike in recent years, I may have to rethink that, but we shall see!

Given you're modelling them essentially "as built", you'll probably want to improve on the moulded sliding window vents. On my original pair, I used Replica mk1 glazing, having carefully cut out the originals; I'm a big fan of flush glazing whereever possible.

Drop me a PM about the kit underframes; I've got loads of them, none of which I'll ever use!

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks Tim, will PM you.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question, what buffing gear is used on the inner ends (inter-car coupling)? It is hard to tell from the photos I have seen but appears to be buckeye couplings and rubbing plates without buffers, is this correct?

Tia,

Martyn.

Definitely no buffers:

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/587/32416484316_5fc2691e22_b.jpg

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

in unrefurbished condition there was a separate rubbing plate above the inner buckeyes (like the ones on the front ends) - when gangwayed, the rubbing plate was naturally part of the gangway.

the flat inner ends had two jumper cables between coaches, with a main res. and brake pipe at low level:

https://80srail.zenfolio.com/p628303965 (the large rectangular box was only on the MBS and only at this end)

when gangwayed, there was one jumper cable each side of the gangway: https://80srail.zenfolio.com/p586036625

Edited by keefer