Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Genesee and Wyoming set to take over Freightliner

Perhaps they will be investing in capacity improvements Ipswich to Felixstowe (what would probably be a very short short line in North America). Double track would be nice instead of what appears to be the current policy of "Its full up, use the A14!"

• RMweb Gold

G&W own local short lines here like the Portland and Western (PNWR) and it's subsidiary the Willamette and Pacific (WPRR).

The orange and black scheme is very familiar to me. It stands out in dreary rainy days.

And to my eyes - from that pic - looks quite different from the way Colas apply orange and black.

I think the differences between their home country and here will be less of an issue in this case as they already work in similar open access environments on the continent and Australia.

Agreed - I think the big problem with WC was that they simply didn't understand British freight operation and the way the freight market, let alone track access, works in Britain; the 'customer delivery centre' in Doncaster being a shining example of where they got things seriously wrong.  Hopefully G&W with an understanding of how track access works in Aus (which is basically a copy of the way it works in Britain - at one time you could hardly tell the two sets of Access Conditions apart) will understand how they are going to work in Britain and mainland Europe.

• Like 2

The G&W never of course got anywhere near WY the state. Their objective was more likely Wyoming, NY which proved to be equally elusive.

Linking upstate NY to WY would have been a tough challenge for any road. It should have been easier to link Colorado to Wyoming, but while the Colorado and Wyoming managed to operate in both states it didn't actually connect them. They had several disconnected operations and the WY one was quite a long way from CO. Perhaps "Colorado or Wyoming" might have been a better road name.

At least they seem to believe in painting their engines as opposed to running the scruffy patched up eyesores that are quite common on many roads.

This is what worries me - and the first place I've read about it is on here, not so much as a dickie bird from my employer...!

I imagine there is a great deal of worry........

....that there might be new uniforms.

engineer.gif goodby.jpg

Sorry. couldn't resist that.

I'm sure it's a real concern and you have my best wishes it turns out well.

All the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heres how G&W receive there locomotives

ex FEC/UP ex SP ex BN and taken about a year ago much nicer than corporate orange can you imagine that through the British countryside it took me a while to get used to the WC maroon and gold on EWS locos.

post-8483-0-50604500-1426196709_thumb.jpg

AW

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

A small update to the G&W purchase of Freightliner - It would appear that the Freightliner name and branding is to remain, as 66418 has recently been released from Eastleigh Works in FLs newer version of their livery, but with the tagline of 'A Genesee and Wyoming Company'.

http://carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202015/Galleries%20201506/20150604ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks4thjune20158.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

WIll this impact Freightliner operations?

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/03/12-report-genesee--wyoming-seeking-partner-or-potential-sale-of-company

(Note: - also cross posted this link in the US Railroad section)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 3