Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?

DaveClass47

The Class 91 poll  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Are you content with the level of detail on the current tooled Hornby Class 91 locomotive and MK4 DVT?

2. 2. What features would you like to see on a retooled Class 91 and MK4 DVT 00 gauge locomotive?

• Full DCC motor to modern standards (in the Class 91 Locomotive)
    • Super detail body shell with etched grilles, flush glazing etc
    • Retooled Bogies
    • Working Head and Tail lights
    • Working Pantograph
    • Detailed interiors
    • NEM Close couplers
    • Sprung opening cab doors
    • Sprung buffers
    • Options within the tooling for sound fitting
  3. 3. Would you be interested in adding a Class 91 to your layout?

• Yes, the current model is fine for me
    • Yes, but only if its re-tooled as the current model is out dated.
    • No, I am not interested in this model.
  4. 4. What liveries would you like to see a newly re tooled Hornby Class 91, Mk4 rolling stock and MK4 DVT released in?

• Original Intercity Swallow Livery
    • GNER
    • National Express East Coast
    • East Coast Trains (currently released by Hornby - 2015 Catalog)
    • New Virgin East Coast
    • None
  5. 5. What other Electric locomotives do you have on your layout?

• Hornby Class 91 (current tooling)
    • Hornby Class 90
    • Bachmann Class 85
    • Heljan Class 86
    • Hornby (Ex lima) Class 87
    • The New Bachmann Class 90 (tick if you have a pre order for this item or intend to purchase - due for release in 2015))
    • none

I'd rather see one to the level of the Class 50 and 60. The 71 is going to be good but the benchmark is still the Tug, which is going to very hard to beat I think.

I do hope you've actually seen the specs offered by Hornby for the Class 71 and also seen the EP samples? Secondly I also hope you realize that I quoted the Class 71 because it's an electric. Out of the general features offered by Hornby for all their super-detailed locos the Class 71 further adds cab lighting and a working pantograph. And as the latter may be perceived as some as just a gimmick it's still wonderful that they added that feature. The Class 60 doesn't feature cab lighting. And when it comes to the level of detail they both are the same standard.

So I really don't understand your point of any possible future models being to the standard of the Class 60.

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find that most modellers, magazines etc will still say that the Class 60 is the Benchmark model fo Modern locos in terms of detail and specs. I simply said that due to the fact that the 71 is nothing more than samples. Once it is released then the detail can be compared to the 60. And as for cab lighting, when do you drive your car with the interior lights on? When do locomotives drivers drive with the lights on? You may think the pantograph is a gimmick, but the cab lighting is an unnecessary addition.

Edited by Hilux5972

So I am guessing you dislike the cab lighting features on Bachmann and DJM locos?? :D

And personally I have no idea how the Class 60 sets a benchmark. Maybe for it's time. But it has the same features and details as all other modern day examples. Maybe the engine room details are an extra but other than that the level of detail it has matches others. I own a Class 60 as well and the detail is at par with all modern day models. Dapol's Class 73, DJM and Hornby GWR King, Dapol's Western, DJM's 14XX class etc. all display a very very high level of detail.

And please do read my post properly. I never said I felt that the working pantograph is a gimmick, I said some others feel that way.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I do dislike the Cab lighting on the locos. First thing I do is remove the lights from the cab on any loco I buy. Perhaps we should just agree to disagree.

Edited by Hilux5972

Well I dislike cab lighting too :D

Sorry to disagree but I like it when it's done properly. My ideal would be separately controlled cab lights but Daopl's idea (probably Dave Jones') of making them directionally controlled so that both do not come on at once is a very good compromise. It's part of the start up sequence, enabling the driver to stow his stuff and see around until the engine starts. The light, of course, is switched off before the loco moves. Naturally, it depends on a decoder. You can't have the driver clinging on desperately whilst his loco is inverted to operate the cab light switch!

As a footnote, Olivia's idea of operating the cab lights from the same function button as the coupling clatter is just plain weird.

I'm glad to say Hornby have acknowledged the comments on their Facebook page.

About half an hour ago they posted the below reply-:

Thank you for everyone's feedback on the Class 91. I can assure you the development team will bear them in mind for the future.
Edited by jonathan452

Sorry to disagree but I like it when it's done properly. My ideal would be separately controlled cab lights but Daopl's idea (probably Dave Jones') of making them directionally controlled so that both do not come on at once is a very good compromise. It's part of the start up sequence, enabling the driver to stow his stuff and see around until the engine starts. The light, of course, is switched off before the loco moves. Naturally, it depends on a decoder. You can't have the driver clinging on desperately whilst his loco is inverted to operate the cab light switch!

As a footnote, Olivia's idea of operating the cab lights from the same function button as the coupling clatter is just plain weird.

Hi,

Well I dislike it because many times it seems a tab bit too bright. And I'll never ever try modifying any expensive locos. Sometimes in that small OO gauge model a little LED can still be far too bright. I love seeing modelers who fit their own cab lighting as they use their own resistors to get a more prototypical glow. However my views are based mostly when it's dark. So maybe that plays a factor. In reality I'm used to seeing locos at a station or depot with other forms of lighting in the surrounding environment. Every little thing does still make a difference.

And as for Olivia's, I'm probably never buying anything from them.

Hi,

Well I dislike it because many times it seems a tab bit too bright. And I'll never ever try modifying any expensive locos. Sometimes in that small OO gauge model a little LED can still be far too bright. I love seeing modelers who fit their own cab lighting as they use their own resistors to get a more prototypical glow. However my views are based mostly when it's dark. So maybe that plays a factor. In reality I'm used to seeing locos at a station or depot with other forms of lighting in the surrounding environment. Every little thing does still make a difference.

And as for Olivia's, I'm probably never buying anything from them.

You've made a good point. Cab lights too bright, marker lights too bright and yellow, tail lights too bright. A lot of lighting could be improved but nevertheless I stil like it.

I would like a Cl;ass 91 model in the original Intercity livery as I grew up with them in this style and I would have one for nostalgia reasons. It is a viable model but I think that Hornby could do this model in both forms as a standalone model to run with a Buffered HST power car and Mk3's like it was in 1988 before the Mk4's were delivered as well as this would allow for Limited Edition runs (like the NRM model in the ECT/BoB livery for example), Also a Class 91 and DVT Pack for the post-1988 sets as then you would have a nicely made pack with a super detailed Mk4 DVT to match. The Mk4's are still fairly good models to this day and perhaps the only upgrade needed on these would be interior lighting like Hornby has introduced to some of the Mk2/3 coaches. So I am in favour of a new Class 91 locomotive. Also Hornby has the new style packaging for the Class 91, so perhaps if the new model is exactly the same length and height etc. It may well fit without the need to redesign the blister packaging? But personally I would get the Intercity version to add to my collection for remembering the good times of my life :).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They've got two more announcements planned for saturday at the Warley show, im keeping my fingers crossed still.

I have everything crossed as well!!

What confuses me is that £209.99 for a limited edition set of old 'railroad' detailed items.   Thats just crazy money.   The images clearly show that its a current tooling item, but these are just computer images....are Hornby playing it cool here?, will they pull the wraps off the newly tooled 91 and DVT to justify the high price tag? 

Consider this....a newly tooled HST with full DCC motor, all wheel drive, lights and high level of detail is only another £10 more expensive.   So surely, this £209 for a CL91 and DVT is a BIG HINT that something special is going to be announced?

If they do, then my job is complete....I have successfully badgered, bullied and persuaded them (via countless emails over 2 years) to give us a all NEW 91 and DVT.   i REALLY HOPE SO, or my campaign goes on for another year! lol   If its a re-tool then YIPEEEEEEE, lets have a Swallow livery set in 2017!! 

I am off to pray to the model train god!

• Like 1

Just looked at the new Hornby 2016 range. Looks as if the existing dated tooling is going to be dressed up in the Virgin livery. Including a (R3501) 'Limited Edition' Class 91/Mk4 DVT Train Pack for a cool £209.99.

What confuses me is that £209.99 for a limited edition set of old 'railroad' detailed items.   Thats just crazy money.   The images clearly show that its a current tooling item, but these are just computer images....are Hornby playing it cool here?, will they pull the wraps off the newly tooled 91 and DVT to justify the high price tag? 

Consider this....a newly tooled HST with full DCC motor, all wheel drive, lights and high level of detail is only another £10 more expensive.   So surely, this £209 for a CL91 and DVT is a BIG HINT that something special is going to be announced?

Keep the faith....I will be holding my breath on Saturday for the announcement.  It better not be two new bloody steam engines!! lol

Keep the faith....I will be holding my breath on Saturday for the announcement.  It better not be two new bloody steam engines!! lol

I ended up thinking the same thing after pondering that price tag for a while, being similar money to the excellent HST power cars, then that pack would have to be of comparable quality. I just cant see how the railroad Class 91 + DVT could possibly justify that price tag otherwise. If it really is the old one then it'll be ending up in the Black Friday bargain bin next year for an awful lot less than £210 because I just cant see it selling for that price.

..... but I wouldn't expect new tooling and only one catalogue release either. If Warley is going to bring a Class 91, I wouldn't have expected the East Coast pack to be announced today