Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?

DaveClass47

The Class 91 poll  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Are you content with the level of detail on the current tooled Hornby Class 91 locomotive and MK4 DVT?

2. 2. What features would you like to see on a retooled Class 91 and MK4 DVT 00 gauge locomotive?

• Full DCC motor to modern standards (in the Class 91 Locomotive)
    • Super detail body shell with etched grilles, flush glazing etc
    • Retooled Bogies
    • Working Head and Tail lights
    • Working Pantograph
    • Detailed interiors
    • NEM Close couplers
    • Sprung opening cab doors
    • Sprung buffers
    • Options within the tooling for sound fitting
  3. 3. Would you be interested in adding a Class 91 to your layout?

• Yes, the current model is fine for me
    • Yes, but only if its re-tooled as the current model is out dated.
    • No, I am not interested in this model.
  4. 4. What liveries would you like to see a newly re tooled Hornby Class 91, Mk4 rolling stock and MK4 DVT released in?

• Original Intercity Swallow Livery
    • GNER
    • National Express East Coast
    • East Coast Trains (currently released by Hornby - 2015 Catalog)
    • New Virgin East Coast
    • None
  5. 5. What other Electric locomotives do you have on your layout?

• Hornby Class 91 (current tooling)
    • Hornby Class 90
    • Bachmann Class 85
    • Heljan Class 86
    • Hornby (Ex lima) Class 87
    • The New Bachmann Class 90 (tick if you have a pre order for this item or intend to purchase - due for release in 2015))
    • none

thank god the manufacturers have not followed the

Actually you can regurgitate the oft bandied reasons *sometimes*.  In this case a (reasoned) guess is that there is little business case for Hornby to re-invest in new tooling. They know what the current sales* are and they have a decision to make between carrying on flogging existing tooling or investing 10s of thousands of pounds on new tooling - I don't blame them for picking the safe option. In their situation I would do the same and if I had money to invest in tooling then I would invest in new tooling for something completely new eg IEP.

Cheers, Mike

* yes, I know that sales might be higher if they produced a new model.

is this to say then that before we saw retooled class 37s class 40s class 56s the HST power cars the deltics , warships westerns (you name the many others that we have seen retooled) that sales of the old order had flagged enough to warrant new investment or is it that sales continued to remain buoyant right up until the new versions were revealed?

• RMweb Gold

Thane

Context is everything! If Hornby thought there was either likelihood of competition or they made a business case for a new model (or the moulds failed) then fire away, but all the things you mentioned tend to have much wider appeal (or were produced by competitors) than a 91.

Cheers, Mike

Can a coupling hook be fitted to the leading cab of the East Coast 91 ? I was hoping to make a drag set.

There's no mounting bracket but I used a piece of thin metal tube bent round to create a loop attached to the bufferbeam so that the dragging loco's coupling can engage with that.

To you, but it is to me!

Okay..! :)

Just to point out, not all of us have money to splash out like that on a product that I deem below par. If Hornby marketed it as a RailRoad product I will buy it. Sadly they market it as an upmarket model.

£209.99 is not it's actual vallue. If I had £209.99 I'd rather spend it on a model with more value (eg: Hornby HST, 08, 31, 50, 56, 60, 67, Dapol Western, Bachmann 70 etc. etc....) and obviously cost me much less.

With that price tag of £209.99, that means I'd need more to spend on detailing kits and a lot of other supplies. Again if Hornby had the brains to market it as a toy (which is what it is) then it would cost less and hence have more value and allow people to detail them. It's one of those models that requires a lot of work to detail just to look acceptable.

So yes whilst you can afford an over-priced toy, I feel happy for you. But I rather spend that same amount (which I can afford) on much better stuff.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

Updated images at http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/virgin-east-coast-train-pack.htmlshow the train pack with 91 + DVT + two coaches. However the 91 now has the livery corrected (no black mid-body) but the coaches appear grey not off-white as per the prototype.

The livery does look rather incorrect, with the off-white areas on the real thing being distinctly grey on the new image posted above (on the loco and DVT as well as the coaches).

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Hornby may have photoshopped the East Coast Mk4 for their Virgin box art. Their 91 was a fine model in 1989 (I still have 2 Intercity examples) but looks very dated and does not reflect the 91/1 modifications with the extra bodyside grilles.

I can't help but think that if this was an LNER Pacific, a better version would have appeared by now. Guess there's still no love for electrics. :(

I can't help but think that if this was an LNER Pacific, a better version would have appeared by now. Guess there's still no love for electrics. :(

You can't say, "no love". You might say, "not enough love". I have an ancient 91. I shall not be getting another 91 until a proper job is done on retooling it. Above all, I'd like a GNER 91. That company had some style. Meanwhile, a proper job is being done thought about on a 90. I shall get one or more of those, if I live long enough.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Actually you can regurgitate the oft bandied reasons *sometimes*. In this case a (reasoned) guess is that there is little business case for Hornby to re-invest in new tooling. They know what the current sales* are and they have a decision to make between carrying on flogging existing tooling or investing 10s of thousands of pounds on new tooling - I don't blame them for picking the safe option. In their situation I would do the same and if I had money to invest in tooling then I would invest in new tooling for something completely new eg IEP.

Cheers, Mike

* yes, I know that sales might be higher if they produced a new model.

The price they're charging for this model (that paid for itself decades ago) could probably fund Greece's national debt...

£83, what's it made of, Unicorn horns and unobtainium?!

C6T.

The price they're charging for this model (that paid for itself decades ago) could probably fund Greece's national debt...

£83, what's it made of, Unicorn horns and unobtainium?!

C6T.

.... and it still looks like a 'toy' however fancy a paint job they put on it.

Maybe that's the crux of the matter Gordon. Your 83 sovs isn't actually paying for the manufacture of the model.

Less the actual manufacturing and delivery, perhaps a large chunk of it is going on spray booth/tampo printing changes and licensing to do said liveries?

Either way, as oft mentioned on this thread, the current offering is not justifiable either as a main range model or as Railroad at the price asked.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

If I could add a bit on livery of the VTEC 225 train pack, which is rather overpriced in my opinion- for what it's worth. Assuming that the coached included will be TSOs, the red swoosh should also be the other way around, so that they're in line with the swoosh on the class 91 rather than that of the DVT

Yes, the buffet car changes the direction of swoosh. I don't think turning the TSOs around will solve the swoosh issue though- Mind you, I might need to think about it when I have some spare time

I think it will solve the issue if Hornby paint it right. Because the swoosh is uni-directional...so it has to.

• Like 1

I think it will solve the issue if Hornby paint it right. Because the swoosh is uni-directional...so it has to.

The swoosh on each side both point towards one end, turn it round and they'll both point to the opposite end. So I think the box graphic just hasn't taken that into account when it was put together

• 4 weeks later...

Updated images at http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/virgin-east-coast-train-pack.htmlshow the train pack with 91 + DVT + two coaches. However the 91 now has the livery corrected (no black mid-body) but the coaches appear grey not off-white as per the prototype.

Though not specific, it is related. The VTEC Mk3 coaches artwork is now uploaded in the correct livery. Without giving away private emails, Hornby 'are aware and confirmed to do VTEC livery correctly' - but take that as you shall, but hopefully livery is sorted and Hornby seem to be aware and keen. http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/coaches/virgin-rail-east-coast-mk3-tso.html

• 3 months later...

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/locomotives-train-packs/virgin-east-coast-train-pack.html

Proper images of the VTEC Class 91 train pack up. I cannot fault Hornby's paint jobs. Yes they've gotten colours off before but their quality of painting is second to none... But honestly 209 quid for that is just outrageous. How the hell can they turn out such outdated stuff in the main range? It's just sad.

I agree prices are ridiculous lately.

I wouldn't pay 209.00 for the train pack but I would pay upto 300.00 for the loco with 9 coaches and dvt.

when prices reach this kind of level for a loco, 2 coaches and dvt its easy to understand why so many modellers ( myself included ) buy a loco and dvt 2nd hand at swapmeets and do the relivery job themselves because that allows the modeller to pay a more nominal price, do their own detail and relivery and also add a 2nd motor in the loco or completely upgrade the drive if possible in order to get the model exactly how the modeller wants it to be.

If it was a super-detail locomotive and a super-detail DVT I won't mind paying 209.99 quid for it... If you assume 160 for the loco and 50 for the DVT give and take a few quid.