The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

scrappage scheme vehicles

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Many will remember so years ago the government had a scheme whereby cars were scrapped if the owners bought a new one. The cars were supposed to be crushed but apparently many of them still languish on old airfields.

I found this petition on a classic car website to have them auctioned off and restored.

There were many cases at the time of rare and interesting vehicles going for scrap

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/75232

• RMweb Premium

For your information there was a similar scheme in Germany, but there any vehicle over 25 years old were excluded from the scheme. It wasn't done in the UK because the dealers complained that it would be to complicated to sort them out. In the UK you can generally tell the age of a vehicle by just reading the registration, in Germany you can't, go figure.

I've no idea how many are left. Presumably they've chewed through a good number of them since 2009. Google isn't showing up anything recent.

• RMweb Gold

I've no idea how many are left. Presumably they've chewed through a good number of them since 2009. Google isn't showing up anything recent.

That's a shame, I can see whats going to happen the cars will be available for auction but all that will remain will be six ten year old Mondeo's!

I remember the period well and seeing photographs published of cars that should never have been scrapped. It was a criminal waste of material – so much for the so called green policies. My daily driver is a 25 year old car, it won't last forever unless I have the body work restored but some of those cars weren't even at a half-life stage. Very wasteful and shameful in my view.

Who is now the legal owner? The government or the dealers.

Paid for at over the odds with your tax money.

You should be able to walk up and take a couple :)

• RMweb Premium

However thought car scrappage was a good idea should be strung up

I saw some nice cars in those articles.

On a car forum I was a member of, a scrappage pervert was rightly treated with abuse (scrappage scheming a decent condition car of the type the forum was about).

Scrap your decent condition older car which kept mechanics in work and buy some Korean cheap thing.

Not good for UK industry, nor heritage, a moronic idea badly implemented.

Just consider the pollution caused by an older "scrappage" car being used. Yes, not as clean as a new-build car.

BUT- consider the pollution caused by building that new car (and indeed, scrapping the old one).

Much cleaner  to keep the old one going,(and properly maintained, though sadly that is something many people forget), so in reality the scrappage scheme is a sop by the Govt.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify, by Korean I am not having a go, just that Korean cars were the most popular to be bought in the scrappage scheme.

How exactly did this help the UK car industry?

There was a line of Land Rover products, they need spares, many of them made in this country.

Hence my stringing up comments

• RMweb Premium

Just consider the pollution caused by an older "scrappage" car being used. Yes, not as clean as a new-build car.

BUT- consider the pollution caused by building that new car (and indeed, scrapping the old one).

Much cleaner  to keep the old one going,(and properly maintained, though sadly that is something many people forget), so in reality the scrappage scheme is a sop by the Govt.

Stewart

It also ruined the decent second hand car market by removing a large number of well maintained (just who could afford to swap for new?) cars of that age a lot of people can afford.

• RMweb Premium

Only one Austin Maxi.  Only four Allegros.

Two models I've owned and one the former outlasted two of the latter!  The Aggro (as they were often known) was OK as a cheap economical get-to-work machine.  The Maxi felt like a tank, guzzled fuel like one and nothing was going to stop it.  Until the linkage in the box expired leaving me with no 1st or 2nd in a nice hilly area and some deft route-planning and a little clutch-slipping to pull away in third and never have to risk stopping at traffic lights halfway up a hill.

None of those would have gone for scrappage had I still got them.  The MoT saw off the Allegros (one replaced another and was itself replaced with a Metro) but the Maxi just kept going ..... 

Archived