How long is too long to wait for payment?

Jenny Emily

I sold around 25 lots on Ebay, and whilst most people paid up immediately, I have one bidder who has not paid. I've sent a request for payment twice, as well as an email, but there's been no reply. They have 100% feedback, and it appears they are still active because I've seen sellers leaving feedback today on their profile. It has been five days since the auction ended. At what point should I file a non-paying bidder claim?

• RMweb Gold

If you stated a time limit in your listing, then you can report non payment to e bay when that time has passed. Otherwise I would give it 10 days and then report to E Bay. They will give him the opportunity to explain or pay. Then either you have you money, or you can re list and move on.

Depends how he is paying. If by paypal then 5 to 6 days should be sufficient. BUT if he is paying by cheque or postal order then it could be held up in the post. However he should respond to requests and e-mails, so dont hold your breath

Thanks for the replies. Paypal was the only option I gave buyers (I'm no longer prepared to mess around having to travel to a bank then waiting for it to clear for a cheque - too much hassle). After three reminders, he coughed up early this morning, so all sorted now.

Thanks for the replies. Paypal was the only option I gave buyers (I'm no longer prepared to mess around having to travel to a bank then waiting for it to clear for a cheque - too much hassle). After three reminders, he coughed up early this morning, so all sorted now.

Its a pain when they keep you waiting without contacting you, I like to post off the items I sell as quickly as possiable, seeing the item still hanging around a week later is anoying.

Then I also expect others to post to me as promptly (unless they state they only post at certain times) so waiting more than a couple of days is also anoying. Still thats life!. Glad its been resolved now.

• 1 month later...

Not applicable in this case - because you have seen activity of the buyer and payment by paypal - so there is no excuse - 10 days is generous.

BUT in more general - 10 days might be far too short. Especially is posting a cheque is concerned. There is also the fairly common set of events (I have done it myself) Bid on an item hoping to win (but not expecting to) and then going on holiday or sent away on business. Not even knowing if I had won then paying promptly on return.

Though I have to admit that if I was off on holiday I would probably send the seller a message to help him/her understand that if I won the payment could be delayed.

If the buyer has not paid within 7 days you can open a dispute and send an unpaid item reminder. If after another 7 days they still have not paid up you can claim the final value fee back and relist the item (if you wish). The buyer will then have an unpaid item strike against them. On ebay, three strikes and you're out, which is how it should be. If the buyer is away on holiday they should contact you and let you know. I have had a couple of buyers who have bid on my items who have e-mailed me to let me know they'll be away when the auction ends and could I wait a little bit longer for payment if they win the item. They both paid up after a short time.

It's when people bid, and win, items then don't pay or contact you at all that is really irritating about some of the people on ebay.

• RMweb Premium

I just happened on this thread, I've just had totally the opposite experience. I bid on an item this morning before I went to work (not railway related), which ended around 2.30pm. I arrived back from work at around 5.30pm to find 2 invoices and 3 messages from the seller, the last saying he had relisted the item because I hadn't paid by 5pm!!!

So the question is....Is 3 hours too long to wait for payment?!

I've sent him a polite e-mail declining the goods, (since he has relisted them), and I have also reported him to Ebay, since I think his behaviour is a tad unreasonable. Do these people think we are all glued to our Ebay screens 24/7? I think my employers might have something to say about that!

Paul

I just happened on this thread, I've just had totally the opposite experience. I bid on an item this morning before I went to work (not railway related), which ended around 2.30pm. I arrived back from work at around 5.30pm to find 2 invoices and 3 messages from the seller, the last saying he had relisted the item because I hadn't paid by 5pm!!!

Crazy....perhaps they had not got as much as they wanted and thought they would try to get more by relisting. Let us know what happens from the report to Ebay. My previous experiences with them suggest that not a lot will happen, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Crazy....perhaps they had not got as much as they wanted and thought they would try to get more by relisting.

Andrew

Interesting you should say that Andrew, the relisted item has the same start price as before, but it now has a "Buy it Now" price higher than the amount I bid on it. It's due to end tomorrow evening, so I shall keep you all posted.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Though I have to admit that if I was off on holiday I would probably send the seller a message to help him/her understand that if I won the payment could be delayed.

I have won items while on holiday, and paid for them while on holiday. Most places have internet access and thus the opportunity to pay promptly.

I have won items while on holiday, and paid for them while on holiday. Most places have internet access and thus the opportunity to pay promptly.

I use Paypal Mobile on my phone if I'm away. Very easy to set up and does the job nicely.

I would counsel caution about logging on to your E Bay or Paypal account from any public service internet station. A keylogger will then transmit your data to an unknown third party and you can leave details of your log ins on the computer for a hacker to extract.

I've sent him a polite e-mail declining the goods, (since he has relisted them), and I have also reported him to Ebay, since I think his behaviour is a tad unreasonable. Do these people think we are all glued to our Ebay screens 24/7? I think my employers might have something to say about that!

Paul

Paul

Like many I think if someone pays within 3 hours it is a result, most do pay quickly but I have waited one or two days for payment several times. Unless the seller stated payment before 5pm he is out of order, if there was this restriction on his listing then again I think it is unreasonable. In both instances they should be reported and if you wanted the item you should have paid for it and insisted they sent the goods to you.

Paul, I think you had a bargain, the seller didn't like the low price and has cut you out.

We hear many people speak of silly high prices, very few seem to let us know they had a bargain....

I've had two recently to do with my 1934 Austin 7, a working fuel pump for 10 GBP incl p&p and a clean 'all there' crankcase 17.50 GBP incl. p&p. I didn't expect to get either as my max bids (about 25 and 45 GBP's) were good low prices anyway. The regular bidders must have been away/asleep... :)

Relative to some of the other comments, if for some reason I know I won't be on the button when the auction ends, thus payment may be delayed a day or two...., I always email the seller and check that this will be OK if I win - this has always been OK - they know where they are then too.

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Like many I think if someone pays within 3 hours it is a result, most do pay quickly but I have waited one or two days for payment several times. Unless the seller stated payment before 5pm he is out of order, if there was this restriction on his listing then again I think it is unreasonable.

I'll accept that, Hayfield. If I'm bidding on the last minute (which I usually do if I can), and I win something, I'll usually pay straight away, unless there is a second item from the same seller and the chance to combine postage on the 2 items. Had the listing said, "pay by 5pm on 'x' date" then I wouldn't have bid in the first place, because I knew I wouldn't make the 5pm deadline since I was at work. There was no such restriction stated.

Paul

Paul, I think you had a bargain, the seller didn't like the low price and has cut you out.

We hear many people speak of silly high prices, very few seem to let us know they had a bargain....

I've had two recently to do with my 1934 Austin 7, a working fuel pump for 10 GBP incl p&p and a clean 'all there' crankcase 17.50 GBP incl. p&p. I didn't expect to get either as my max bids (about 25 and 45 GBP's) were good low prices anyway. The regular bidders must have been away/asleep... :)

Relative to some of the other comments, if for some reason I know I won't be on the button when the auction ends, thus payment may be delayed a day or two...., I always email the seller and check that this will be OK if I win - this has always been OK - they know where they are then too.

Penlan

I have listed several times that I have had bargins, old solid brass Jinty chassis (to fit a Jamieson / Eames body I have) 99p. A proffessionly build MTK class 73 for £11, an Airfix autotank which had a Comet chassis and gearbox, Mashima motor and Romfords £15, sold the body and recouped most of the cost. Like many others had lots of other gems

I'll accept that, Hayfield. If I'm bidding on the last minute (which I usually do if I can), and I win something, I'll usually pay straight away, unless there is a second item from the same seller and the chance to combine postage on the 2 items. Had the listing said, "pay by 5pm on 'x' date" then I wouldn't have bid in the first place, because I knew I wouldn't make the 5pm deadline since I was at work. There was no such restriction stated.

Paul

Paul I would have doug my heals in and requested the goods you had won, if he failed to send them I would then have given him negative feedback. Thankfully most sellers are honourable

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm currently waiting for a payment myself, the offer having ended on 1 September and the buyer not having reacted as of yet, and just had the following thought - have any of you ever had a problem with Ebay notifications having been falsely sorted out as spam?

Sometimes, people do have genuine reasons for not paying for over a week. My only two were being taken seriously ill and the death of my step-mother. On both occasions my normal life was thrown into confusion and the last thing on my mind was the fact that I had bid earlier in the relevant weeks for items on Ebay (which I subsequently won).

When everything was sorted and I read my emails eight or nine days later, I discovered a number of increasingly sarcastic, but eventually bordering on abusive, messages from the poor seller who naturally assumed that I was a time waster, but at least they hadn't relisted the items.

So, I would give a little more leeway to the reliable 100% feedback people with a large number of previous transactions; they may well have a valid reason for not paying up quickly.

John

• RMweb Premium

So, I would give a little more leeway to the reliable 100% feedback people with a large number of previous transactions; they may well have a valid reason for not paying up quickly.

Yes, of course, and I was not meaning to imply anything different :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Might be in this position shortly, because someone (who adopts the eBay pseudonym of a Stanier Class 4 2-6-4T) actually successfully bid for my old MTK "Steamcast" kit last week, but I haven't seen payment yet..... Sent an enquiry to him as to what method of payment he was adopting. No answer so far.

Archived