Craftsman detailing kits

Mr chapman

The old Craftsman kits are being bid over quite furiously on Ebay. I was just out bid on a 'Craftsman MU2 Class 120 DMU Conversion Kit', it went for £77.00, which will still make a nice 3 car set for someone.

Such a pity that they are out of production, I had a most enjoyable time building up the class 129 conversion kit onto a Replica motorised chassis with DC Kits cabs and a whole host of parts from other suppliers last year.

Class129_63.jpg

Probably a vain hope, but it would be fantastic if some did take over the old etches and casts and re marketed them as kits rather than conversions for the old 80s RtoR models.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

The old Craftsman kits are being bid over quite furiously on Ebay. I was just out bid on a 'Craftsman MU2 Class 120 DMU Conversion Kit', it went for £77.00, which will still make a nice 3 car set for someone.

Such a pity that they are out of production, I had a most enjoyable time building up the class 129 conversion kit onto a Replica motorised chassis with DC Kits cabs and a whole host of parts from other suppliers last year.

Class129_63.jpg

Probably a vain hope, but it would be fantastic if some did take over the old etches and casts and re marketed them as kits rather than conversions for the old 80s RtoR models.

Jamie

Ha, I was after this too, but not at that price!

The last story I heard was that the etches and castings had all been muddled up in the sale to the current owner, rendering them almost unusable. However one might have thought that etches, of which there would be somewhat less than castings, could be sorted out with a bit of effort.

A more hopeful source of items etches for DMU's is probably Worsley Works, who already have a wide offering in their range. There's an interesting development as well from Silver Fox, with thin plastic overlays for 119's and 120's, not on his website at present, but being offered from time to time on eBay.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

I too really appreciated Craftsman stuff.

I've got a conversion kit for a midland Gloucester parcels car if anybody is interested. DC and Heljan superceeded that!!

The Silverfox stuff is excellent. Not, falls together, but if you want some quality modelling, the biz!!

As regards diesel detailing, go and talk to Shawplan at an exhibition. If you have a photo of the locomotive you want to detail so much the better.

Have a chat to them, in my experience, they will give you all the help you need.

No vested interest other than being a satisfied customer.

On occaision stuff appears. I finally sourced a 47901 roof from their stand at Warley.

Chris.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the current owner of the range? I presume that the originator either retired or is no longer with us.

I think as a hobby we when sadly Geoff Brewin of Comet died that were very lucky that Wizard were able to take over the range and have done an excellent job supplying it and promoting it at shows.

If someone like Wizard could do that for Craftsman it would be wonderful for modellers. I also think the etches would be better re branded as full kits rather than conversions for models now in the past.

Obviously it would have to be financially viable, and while a small number of us were willing to bid almost £80 for the three car Class 120 DMU etches due to their rarity, it does not mean that price would be marketable if the range were generally available.

I may be hoping in vain, so will have to keep a eye on Ebay and my wallet ready for the appropriate damage due to the increasing rarity of the kits.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

I believe the range changed hands around 2012 but the path since then has been a difficult one. The website was running until about a year or so back but the customer service had a poor reputation, items not supplied etc. There were stories circulating that some of the tooling had been damaged but the whole range seemed to decline amid rumours of mismanagement due to the new owner not having the necessary skills or experience to maintain the range.

More details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94518-craftsman-models/page-3

The website disappeared altogether, maybe just as well if it was accepting orders which couldn't be fulfilled, and little has been heard of the brand since which is a sad loss really.

Edited by RANGERS

• 2 months later...

A class 129 conversion kit on Ebay ending tomorrow. Hope I am not sinking anyones quiet bid on this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Craftsman-Class-129-Conversion-Kit-Lima-Class-117-DMU-Donor-Vehicle/183274153961?hash=item2aabfda7e9:g:VGsAAOSwo9VbIqWk

It is the same kit I used above in post 151, but bought a couple of DC Kits cabs, a Comet roof and a Replica Railways DMU chassis,and lots of other bits I seem to remember.

Happy bidding.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

Assuming this is a 57ft vehicle IIRC, presumably you could source a cheap Bachmann Cravens 105 off ebay or similar, and use this as the base. You'd be left with a spare trailer chassis, and assuming you used the Bachmann cabs, two part bodyshells that could be turned into a non-driving trailer, which Bachmann have never produced.

Just a thought,

John. 

• Like 1

It is a very good suggestion John. It is a 57ft body.

The down side is that Bachmann 105s on Ebay, or second hand from a certain retailer in Liverpool are not cheap. The best price I have seen is £70.

You would get really good underframe details and a better cabs and front windows moulding. I can’t say that I was very impressed with the Craftsman cabs etch, which is why I used the plastic DCC ones.

Compared with £60 for a Replica Railway chassis, cabs if Charlie at DCC can still find them, and then all the others bits I think would come to around £100. That sale does have the Lima body and parts you could raid as well.

It will be interesting to see what the sale goes for in the end. It could get quite expensive to make a Class 129, but then it is a lovely odd little DMU, and you could go to town and make Hydra if you are runing a BR blue layout.

Just to say I won't be bidding on this a I am happy with mine, but if a Swindon Cross Country kit come up again then I will get my wallet out ready for the prices they command. A big if though.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

Just to keep an idea of what the current value of Craftsman conversion kits on Ebay is, the Class 129 plus Lima donor DMU went for £34.62 and was won by the first person to bid on it.

I hope whoever got it gets as much enjoyment from it as I did doing one last year.

Jamie

Just to keep an idea of what the current value of Craftsman conversion kits on Ebay is, the Class 129 plus Lima donor DMU went for £34.62 and was won by the first person to bid on it.

I hope whoever got it gets as much enjoyment from it as I did doing one last year.

Jamie

I have to confess this was me. I'd have paid a little more, not much, but it seems quite good value with the Lima donor thrown in.

There is a cupboard full of projects to fill my declining years, but hopefully this won't be in it for too long!

John.

• Like 1

I have to confess this was me. I'd have paid a little more, not much, but it seems quite good value with the Lima donor thrown in.

There is a cupboard full of projects to fill my declining years, but hopefully this won't be in it for too long!

John.

Hi John

I hope you have a lot of fun making it. I would really recommend asking Charlie at DC Kits if he has any Cravens cabs around, I suspect he may still have a few.

In case there is anything useful, here is a link to the construction of my one, admittedly on a different chassis.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-comet-black-5-kit-buildings-rolling-stock/page-18&do=findComment&comment=2690318

Happy modelling.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

Hi John

I hope you have a lot of fun making it. I would really recommend asking Charlie at DC Kits if he has any Cravens cabs around, I suspect he may still have a few.

In case there is anything useful, here is a link to the construction of my one, admittedly on a different chassis.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-comet-black-5-kit-buildings-rolling-stock/page-18&do=findComment&comment=2690318

Happy modelling.

Jamie

Thanks for this, I'd already looked at and marked your thread on this build.

When it turns up I'll have to decide whether I like the etched cabs, or not as you found. As it won't be done for a bit I'll keep an eye on Ebay for Baccy 105's, as well as perhaps have a word with Mr Petty next time I see him about his cabs.

John.

• Like 1

Gents, to those wanting a set of BR class 120 sides in 4mm, then Allen Doherty of Worsley Works does a 3 car 119 set of sides for £46.50, these are the same as the 120's, I would imagine it would be easy enough to scratch some cab ends.

PS I have a pair of Craftsman class 120 DMS sides "preformed" and some odds and ends if anybody is interested in sending me a PM.

Best regards

Craig.

I was interested but when I checked my stash I found

6 x 120 kits

1 x 119 kits

1 x 114 kit

3 x 108 kits

2 x 128 kits

1 x 129 kit

1 x Derby lightweight kit

So I probably have enough!

Oh dear, if that represents a problem then I fear I may have a serious illness:

2 x 101(DC)

1 x 108 (MTK)

2 x 108 (DC)

4 x120 (DC)

1 x 120 (Craftsman)

4 x 114 (DC)

2 x 114 (Craftsman)

119 x 2 (DC)

1 x 128 (Silver Link)

1 x 128 (Craftsman)

1 x 129 (Craftsman)

Having built only two DMU kits in the past decade, I’m wondering if I should consult a higher authority on just how long I’m expected to live?

• Like 1

I was interested but when I checked my stash I found

6 x 120 kits

1 x 119 kits

1 x 114 kit

3 x 108 kits

2 x 128 kits

1 x 129 kit

1 x Derby lightweight kit

So I probably have enough!

2 x 101(DC)

1 x 108 (MTK)

2 x 108 (DC)

4 x120 (DC)

1 x 120 (Craftsman)

4 x 114 (DC)

2 x 114 (Craftsman)

119 x 2 (DC)

1 x 128 (Silver Link)

1 x 128 (Craftsman)

1 x 129 (Craftsman)

Having built only two DMU kits in the past decade, I’m wondering if I should consult a higher authority on just how long I’m expected to live?

post-6879-0-48761100-1529957904.jpg

On the other hand, where there's a Will, there's a war way....

• Funny 1

2 x 101(DC)

1 x 108 (MTK)

2 x 108 (DC)

4 x120 (DC)

1 x 120 (Craftsman)

4 x 114 (DC)

2 x 114 (Craftsman)

119 x 2 (DC)

1 x 128 (Silver Link)

1 x 128 (Craftsman)

1 x 129 (Craftsman)

2 x 101(DC)

1 x 108 (MTK)

2 x 108 (DC)

4 x120 (DC)

1 x 120 (Craftsman)

4 x 114 (DC)

2 x 114 (Craftsman)

119 x 2 (DC)

1 x 128 (Silver Link)

1 x 128 (Craftsman)

1 x 129 (Craftsman)

From what I have read on other posts, I recommend that you and rka carefully manage the market by drip-feeding your stash onto eBay. You could make a fortune.
  • Like 1

Has Brian done the roof etch for 47901 (or was it an old Craftsman one)?

Thanks,

Guy

Just spotted this one, A1 models have been running out their 47901 roof etch.

It was designed for the Hornby Duff but it looks nice and was only £6.50.

Find them on eBay under a1models-doncaster and ask them when they will next be etching it, they are very helpful.

No connection other than a pleased customer.

Simon

• 7 months later...

There is a Western Region Class 128 conversion kit on Ebay. I know that now there is the Heljan model it is not quite as special, but if someone wants to have a go it is a lovely build whether you use it for a conversion or as the starting point for a kit build.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Craftsman-Etched-Brass-Class-128-Parcels-Unit-Kit/323695024985?hash=item4b5dba1b59:g:Be4AAOSw-ttcZHSH:rk:11:pf:0

Slow progress on my Class 120s, but hopefully they will be there before too long.

Class120_97.jpg

Class120_119.jpg

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just working on detailing up a couple of old Lima locos for a bit of retro modelling nostalgia.

Am I safe in assuming that the Craftsman Detailing kits are now effectively dead and gone?