Craftsman detailing kits

Mr chapman

• RMweb Gold

I have emailed them twice & had no reply. I've also tried to ring a few times with either no reply or a message saying I'm not in.

I wasn't sure whether to place an order or not I'm after 3 of there loco kits especially the c12.

Do I chance it or wait until I get a response via email or telephone?

Hi Simon,

How is your luck running?

That seems to be the only way to gauge the probability or otherwise of whatever you order and pay for turning up!

I ordered and paid for several sets of the DMU pipework sets and also DMU MU receptacles - total just under £20.00.

That was the week after York exhibition....

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I have emailed them twice & had no reply. I've also tried to ring a few times with either no reply or a message saying I'm not in.

I wasn't sure whether to place an order or not I'm after 3 of there loco kits especially the c12.

Do I chance it or wait until I get a response via email or telephone?

Perhaps wait a few days and see what happens to our orders?

I fully realise and accept that some of these small businesses are just one person and that they have a lot on their plate. We are told to make allowances for that and not be critical. However, as one who has started a business at home and been a co-founder of a second similar business which ran sucessfully for over 20 years then I do struggle with this attitude of "I haven't got any time to respond to phone calls or emails". The single biggest struggle for any business is finding and, importantly, keeping customers. While we do have to make allowances and accept the time constraints of one man businesses, customers also need to be treated with some respect. Communication is essential. People will be patient if they know what is going on.

That does not mean that the business have to answer every single call or email at any time, I fully accept that is impossible, but some time should be made available to provide some form of response within a reasonable period even if it is a "general" message to say that orders are currently likely to be delivered within "x" days.

In some cases, I know, it is a hobby business and the proprietor still has a full time job or other issues to cope with (I am not sure what the situation is here). However there are several well known and very sucessful small businesses out there serving our hobby where the owners are full time employed elsewhere but which have a wide and developing range of parts and yet still find the time to ship their goods, go to exhibitions, research their products (and show the deveopment on the web), sell the products and talk (pleasantly) to their customers so it is possible.

I really hope this issue is sorted as I would not want to see these products disappear and I do hope that the new owner will be sucessful.

Shoot me down quick if I'm wrong here - but wasn't this business up for "sale" on ebay recently (so many businesses changing hands I'm easily confused) If it back up and running or under new management perhaps there are problems. A written letter to the address might be first point of contact when all this new fangled technology fails. EMail is notoriously unreliable in being read by a recipient and telephones do have a habit of not being answered or ringing at the most inconvenient moment or while on holiday.

I've tried to ring again today to try & enquire about the state of the business & if orders are being taken.

I was greeted by a BT answer message saying calls can't be taken & a message can't be left.

Hopefully your orders will turn up & then I know it's a green light to order.

Failing that I guess it's ebay or wanted for a c12 kit.

• RMweb Gold

... or a postage stamp, addressed envelope and a simple polite letter ...

You could well be right but I am not so sure why they would treat a letter request any better than an email. Even with a S&A envelope it would take more time to deal with it.

You could well be right but I am not so sure why they would treat a letter request any better than an email. Even with a S&A envelope it would take more time to deal with it.

The reason why it might work is simple - email often doesn't ever reach the intended destination, let alone ever be read. I know we all would like to think so but it is a simple truth we ignore (and yes, I also accept there is no guarantee a letter will arrive or be read - most of what gets shoved through my door is either incorrectly addressed or the equivalent of spam most of which ends up in the compost) but a letter is a last resort option.

Of course, one would hope that if the "new" owner really cared he would see this topic and respond just to let everyone know that he was still alive and give some rational explanation why the goodwill in his business is being neglected.

But how many times have we seen this happen ...

• RMweb Gold

I've tried to ring again today to try & enquire about the state of the business & if orders are being taken.

I was greeted by a BT answer message saying calls can't be taken & a message can't be left.

Hopefully your orders will turn up & then I know it's a green light to order.

Failing that I guess it's ebay or wanted for a c12 kit.

I note that the number given on the home page is different to the number shown on the catalogue (this has been mentioned previously so no correction has been made). The later number is 01619029645 (from Nov 2014). Is that the one you called?

• RMweb Gold

Of course, one would hope that if the "new" owner really cared he would see this topic and respond just to let everyone know that he was still alive and give some rational explanation why the goodwill in his business is being neglected.

But how many times have we seen this happen ...

Agree absolutely with that bit!

Agree absolutely with that bit!

Thanks, but thinking the process out a bit further, if he is not updating the website or "getting" emails than perhaps his Broadband isn't working either - so cannot browse RMWeb. Of course I would prefer to think that he is putting inn every spare hour trying to save his business investment ... but somehow ...

Guest 40-something

If its any help the address on my invoice from last week is...

63 Honford Road

Brownley Green

Wythenshaw

Manchester

M22 0PE

Phone number is 0161 998 0270

Hi

I was looking on his site for code 75 BH fish plates, i brought some last year from them and was looking at getting more.

But i can not see them listed anymore?, have they stopped selling them?, if they have where could i get some from?.

Thanks

Darren

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got excited today as I returned home and ther was a parcel for me that is about the size I would expect from Craftsman. I thought well, at least, I will now be able to write something positive on RM Web.

In fact it was a book (railway of course) that I had forgotten I had ordered. Both pleased and disappointed.

Oh well, now exactly two weeks since placing my order. (Probably not that long judging by other comments). Heard absolutely nothing. Sent polite email last week asking if the order was likely to be processed and asking if an approximate delivery might be indicated. Of course no response.

Anyone have any positive news to report in last couple of weeks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'll be more careful how I phrase this post this time!

Has anyone received the goods that they ordered or received any communication from Craftsman Models in the past two weeks please?

Craftsman do a brass body shell for the Cl25 Derby Sulzer, or at least it's advertised. Bearing in mind the issues with both RTR offerings and discounting supply issues, has anyone used this item and can they offer a view as to its quality?

Regards