Bachmann 31-200DC - DCC Onboard query

Adrock

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

Yup any bachhy loco with DC suffix has chip installed - should come with blanking plate in accessory pack for you to swap if you want to run on DC. If its missing go back to Bachmann - or us DCC folks on here have plenty kicking around!

Locos with DS suffix have sound chip and speaker installed but you can still do the same and sell the sound chip on here!

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Does anyone know if the DCC onboard the above loco means there is a socket with an 8pin chip in it, so that I could remove it to convert to analogue or put a different chip in it?

What's a 31-200DC?

AFAIK some Baccy locos did get wired in decoders

Keith

Bachmann do not list a 31-200DC but 31-200 which is a Rebuilt Patriot

Bachmann Branchline 32-200DC
OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)
Class 8750 0-6-0 Pannier tank 9759 in BR black with late crest (DCC on board)
DCC decoder fitted. Analogue compatible

Looking at another

Bachmann Branchline 32-209
Class 8750 Pannier Tank 3711 in BR black with early emblem.
DCC Ready. 8-pin socket

If it is anything like other locos they are just factory fitted decoders locos are usualy supplied with blanking plug.

Bachmann Branchline 32-200DC

Class 8750 0-6-0 Pannier tank 9759 in BR black with late crest (DCC on board)

DCC decoder fitted. Analogue compatible

Looking at another

Bachmann Branchline 32-209

Class 8750 Pannier Tank 3711 in BR black with early emblem.

DCC Ready. 8-pin socket

If it is anything like other locos they are just factory fitted decoders locos are usualy supplied with blanking plug.

Many DCC decoders will run quite happily on DC (analogue). The top speed of models may be reduced slightly (not always a bad thing) and if it has a decent quality decoder, the inertia and/or BEMF settings which DCC use to provide realistic acceleration and deceleration with steady speed control, will also be used on DC. (ZIMO decoders can do this, others may too).

So, yes, you can remove the decoder if you wish, but try it out with the decoder fitted first, you might prefer the way that power is delivered to the motor.

Kind regards,

Paul

Many  users  of  Analogue  do  find  that   Locos  with  decoders fitted  actually  perform better  with  the  decoder left in situ.

I know  of  some  users  of  Hornby Dublo  &  Wrenn locos  who  use  analogue  who  have  fitted decoders to  some  locos  to  improve  slow  running  and give better acceleration  and  deceleration  charicteristics.

Good spot - the title should actually be 32-200DC. Fat fingers from typing on my phone. I'll certainly be interested to assess performance of a chipped loco on DC so I would do so before removing anything internal.

• RMweb Premium

Good spot - the title should actually be 32-200DC. Fat fingers from typing on my phone. I'll certainly be interested to assess performance of a chipped loco on DC so I would do so before removing anything internal.

Ah-ha! Bachmann re-tooled GWR Pannier series then.

I have 5 various of this family and they are good runners either as analog or on DCC but unfortunately I cannot comment on analog operation of a DCC fitted loco!

All mine were non fitted versions in which I have fitted a decoder.

The 8 pin socket sits on top of the chassis and is easy to get at.

Just undo the two crosshead screws under where the couplings are fitted to the chassis and the chassis itself drops out.

Keith

Many DCC decoders will run quite happily on DC (analogue). The top speed of models may be reduced slightly (not always a bad thing) and if it has a decent quality decoder, the inertia and/or BEMF settings which DCC use to provide realistic acceleration and deceleration with steady speed control, will also be used on DC. (ZIMO decoders can do this, others may too).

Many  users  of  Analogue  do  find  that   Locos  with  decoders fitted  actually  perform better  with  the  decoder left in situ.

Don't forget the usual caveat about avoiding use with those nasty Relco type, so called "track cleaners", fitted and working.

Don't forget the usual caveat about avoiding use with those nasty Relco type, so called "track cleaners", fitted and working.

I use the Gaugemaster-badged version on my layout (which is DC).  It doesn't remove the necessity to clean track and wheels, but it seems to reduce the frequency of cleaning, and allows better slow running. I see it as a good thing. :)

On the other hand, I believe that your warning about running DCC fitted locomotives with that type of track cleaner was spot-on.

Thanks to your suggestions, I tried a number of my chipped locos and all but one ran on the analogue controller perfectly. This was a Collett Goods loco that I hard wired myself and installed a Hornby R8249 decoder into the loco body. For some reason it just will not respond at all on analogue but runs perfectly on my DCC controller! Other locos that ran nicely on both include socketed and chipped locos, as well as a hard wired split chassis conversion. Any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to your suggestions, I tried a number of my chipped locos and all but one ran on the analogue controller perfectly. This was a Collett Goods loco that I hard wired myself and installed a Hornby R8249 decoder into the loco body. For some reason it just will not respond at all on analogue but runs perfectly on my DCC controller! Other locos that ran nicely on both include socketed and chipped locos, as well as a hard wired split chassis conversion. Any thoughts?

It's possible that running on DC has been disabled in CV 29.  CV 29 bit 2 needs to be set to 1 to enable the loco to run on DC.

Thanks for the tip. I've tried to check the CV value but don't really know my way around the Dynamis system too well. I think I get a "write error" when going to to CV 29 config, and then going to value 2. I also can't read the values on the chip as I get a similar error. Maybe it's not configurable on this chip...

• RMweb Gold

Assuming you are using 28/128 speed addressing on this loco, then you just need to set CV 29 to a value of 6.  The Dynamis user guide explains how to set CVs starting on page 16.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the DCC onboard the above loco means there is a socket with an 8pin chip in it, so that I could remove it to convert to analogue or put a different chip in it?

Yes it is 8pin, it will have a Bachmann decoder sat in a gap in the weight in the left hand pannier tank. If you want to run on plain old DC replace with a blanking plug, the difference in running quality is night and day! Not as bad as a Hornby Decoder, but then you know about that by the sounds of it! 

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is 8pin, it will have a Bachmann decoder sat in a gap in the weight in the left hand pannier tank. If you want to run on plain old DC replace with a blanking plug, the difference in running quality is night and day! Not as bad as a Hornby Decoder, but then you know about that by the sounds of it! 

Why do Bachmann need to remove metal?

See here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83218-help-with-fitting-a-8-pin-decoder-to-a-dcc-ready-Bachmann-pannier/?p=1378184

A DCC chip fits on top of chassis without modification (this is a Lenz Standard + , not the smallest around!)

Keith

Assuming you are using 28/128 speed addressing on this loco, then you just need to set CV 29 to a value of 6. The Dynamis user guide explains how to set CVs starting on page 16.

Thanks - this solved it and I can now run the loco on DC! Strangely, it runs perfectly sweetly backwards. But it stutters regularly when running forwards. No issue in either direction on DCC...very strange indeed!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks - this solved it and I can now run the loco on DC! Strangely, it runs perfectly sweetly backwards. But it stutters regularly when running forwards. No issue in either direction on DCC...very strange indeed!

A common problem with this, and older, Hornby decoder(s).

Archived