Marcus 37

Hi Rich

You'll be glad to know somethings never change. It's raining in Shrewsbury. Glad I'm in my nice warm cab.

Just had a very enjoyable read through your thread whilst I'm sat here. Some very nice modelling indeed. Maybe in the future I might have a dabble in the 7mm Dark Side. Seeing your collection of diesels certainly makes it tempting.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

You'll be glad to know somethings never change. It's raining in Shrewsbury. Glad I'm in my nice warm cab.

must have just missed you last night if you were on the return tinsley working, i was coming round oxley curve from the north as it went over the viaduct

• Like 1

That's a shame. Yep, I was crawling up the bank. Wolverhampton is a b*t*rd with a heavy train especially if he stops you at the signal protecting the North Junction. Even makes the 59 grunt! Mind you it is amusing watching the passengers holding there ears whilst the Super Series wheel slip control is going fit to burst.

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

Day off from work today so have ventured up into the loft to do some modelling. The other night I extended the cliff face behind the back of the loco maintenance shed so this morning its had its base coat of light grey. Ive also finally removed the backing from the back of the hanging basket liner over the top of the tunnel and trimmed it to shape. You may see in the distance on the hill what looks to be a toilet roll. Well it is  :D  I want to model one of the tunnel ventilation shafts like the real ones on Doveholes tunnel o the toilet roll is there to give me some idea how it looks and to work the other scenery round it for the time being.

I know its quite close but even on the real tunnel the first one is quite close to the entrance. As you cant actually see the tunnel mouth from the quarry it wont look out of place. I just thought it would be nice to do something a bit different that's rarely modelled.

Here a picture of the one not far from the entrance of the tunnel. There's actually two more between Dove Holes Villiage and the Peak Forest end of the tunnel which are considerably taller but of the same design so I'll probably base it on one of those to make it a bit more prominent. 

post-18515-0-80893100-1484225069.jpg

And here's a quick pic with the extension to the cliff face

post-18515-0-21145400-1484225126_thumb.jpg

More later......

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 5

I think I'm becoming quite sad Marcus......I've just read through the whole thread again.....that must be the 4th time I've done it.... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

.....and the thing I've learned from it.......

........I need a big loft!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Cheers mate. Glad you're enjoying it. Apart from the extremes of temperature it is nice to have the space. Will get round to fitting some Velux roof lights at some stage. 

• Like 2

Hi Marcus,

Very nice! Love the look of that cliff face, any chance of some close up photographs?

Your giving me ideas for mine now!

Rich

Ive just taken some funnily enough. I'll pop them up in a bit. Its made from KingSpan (cheaper options available) Insulation board. Its fairly easy to do. You just pick away at the face of it with a pointed knife so it leaves a pitted surface. You then score it several times across the face in horizontal and diagonal directions and when this is done give it a good brush with a stiff brush. I use a dust pan brush with nylon bristles. Afterwards you're left with the finish you see on the layout.

I'll pop those pictures up in a while.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus, sorry the chat was short earlier, and hope you find the fencing. That Rock face is superb mate, a real eye for detail and then the ability to transfer that to the Model. It's getting harder and harder to distinguish between model and real pics now, well done mate.

• Like 1

Looks great Marcus. I will be re reading this when Millers Dale once again rears its head!! I will be needing plenty of Peak atmosphere for that!

Cheers Cav. I'll take that as a huge compliment. Must admit I cant wait to see Millers Dale on the go again. 

• Like 1

Hi Marcus, sorry the chat was short earlier, and hope you find the fencing. That Rock face is superb mate, a real eye for detail and then the ability to transfer that to the Model. It's getting harder and harder to distinguish between model and real pics now, well done mate.

Thanks Andy. Enjoyed our chat earlier. Its stopped snowing now thank goodness. 

Thanks for the compliments on the layout. It means a lot and keeps the old mojo fully charged.

Cheers

Marcus

As promised a few more pictures

post-18515-0-72593200-1484241747_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-07830600-1484241750_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-28419600-1484241751_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-74472400-1484241752_thumb.jpg

Also been working on this this afternoon. A ventilation shaft to go above the tunnel on the hill.

Went to the model shop to get some brick plasticard and ended up coming back looking like a snowman. :laugh:

Once dry I'll get a coat of paint on it later.

post-18515-0-76015300-1484242193_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 4

That rock face looks rather good (understatement). I do envy your ability to create things like that. I can reproduce a brick wall or a pavement, but always seem to struggle copying Mother Nature. Excellent job.

Thanks Pete. That's a really nice complement. It was Cav who gave me the idea of using the Insulation board to start with. It was just trial and error and a bit of experimenting that got it to the required finish. I must admit I did take a few close up pictures of the rock formations on the Monsal trail. The other walkers & cyclists probably thought there was a right loony in their midst. HaHa.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Went to the model shop to get some brick plasticard and ended up coming back looking like a snowman. :laugh:

Once dry I'll get a coat of paint on it later.

Wouldn't it be easier just to change the jumper rather than start painting yourself???  :jester:

Looks really good - shame there are no major rock formations in Lincolnshire, I think the line on my new layout, might have to tunnel out of some rocky outcrop!  Well done tho, the colouring and texture look really good - agree with Andy P's comment, its getting harder to tell these days. Hope I can live up to this high standard with mine!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

A quick picture of the tunnel ventilation shaft this morning.

Had a spare few minutes this morning to do a bit more. Off to work now unfortunately.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's bloody brilliant mate, absolutely stunning bit of modelling, I know it sounds daft for just a ventilation shaft, but you've nailed it, the colours of the stone, and the grillework, can't wait to see it in position.

Al.