Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Marcus 37

A well-used cutting mat... the sign of a craftsman. Or a messy worker.

:jester:

I was about to say, to much of a tight wad to buy a new one but, Al's beaten me to it. Saw a nice one in The Range the other day which was A2 size. Might invest in one of those if I can brush the cobwebs out of the wallet. HaHa.

• Like 5

Morning.

Managed a couple of hours up in the loft so managed to plant the tunnel ventilation shaft. We've got dinner with the parents in a bit so no more modelling today I'm afraid.

I'll just leave you with some more pictures......

post-18515-0-68340500-1484397371_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-09654100-1484397373_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-84121300-1484397373_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-96109600-1484397374_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 17

Fantastic looking detail there.

It's these things that set it above and beyond.

I'm OCD about my cutting mat....I have a roll of 450 sheets of paper towel from B&Q which has to be laid on it before painting.i will not have humbrol on my cutting mat , no sir !

Fantastic looking detail there.

It's these things that set it above and beyond.

I'm OCD about my cutting mat....I have a roll of 450 sheets of paper towel from B&Q which has to be laid on it before painting.i will not have humbrol on my cutting mat , no sir !

Thanks Rob. That corner of the layout had been waiting for some work to be done on it for some time so was rarely photographed. So it's nice to get it looking a bit more loved now.

As for the cutting mat. Mines more of a do anything mat. HaHa.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

More modelling time tonight so I've been knocking up a fuel rig for outside the maintenance shed in the quarry. 20168 now has somewhere to have a well deserved drink after a day's shunting.

I've loosely based it on our B&Q shed (as Rob D2 so eloquently described it) at Peterborough.

Quick below of progress so far.

post-18515-0-56081700-1484524064_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 12

Morning.

Managed a couple of hours up in the loft so managed to plant the tunnel ventilation shaft. We've got dinner with the parents in a bit so no more modelling today I'm afraid.

I'll just leave you with some more pictures......

attachicon.gif20170114_120028.jpg

attachicon.gif20170114_120112.jpg

attachicon.gif20170114_120255.jpg

attachicon.gif20170114_120602.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

Looks mint mate.

Liking the split box action.

The tunnel vent shaft looks ace.

That corner of PDW is very good. Its one of those difficult and often fatal areas where the tendency is to clutter up and it only makes things unrealistic. Youve haven't done that, and its done a top job, realistic and well thought out. nice one! You wouldn't even know it was a corner as the rockface takes your eye away from the 90 degree. 

Trev :)

Edited by big T

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps. Done a bit more to it this morning, making a roof and some doors. Off to work in a bit so it can all dry nicely by the time I get home tonight.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cheers

Marcus

Looks good Marcus, nice detailing.  

Rich 

How have I managed to miss a 70 page quarry layout thread!! Looking forward to catching up on the train on the way home tonight.

Guy

Hello Guy

Welcome to the thread and many thanks for looking in. Don't worry I miss out on layouts all the time. There's so many on here it's easy to overlook sometimes.

I Have admired your work on your Mendip fleet for quite a while. Your kit built wagons are quite stunning. I would like to build some nice appropriate box wagons for PDW eventually and your work has been very inspiring.

Would love to see some more pictures of your fleet sometime.

Nothing like reading RMweb on the way home from work on the train. Makes the journey go faster. Me, I've got three hours sat in Humberstone goods loop so another opportunity to do some catching up.

All the best

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 2

Very nice modelling Marcus, loving the tunnel ventilation shaft, superb!

Hi Alex

Thanks for the compliment. It was something I wanted to model as when you drive down to Peak Forest from Dove Holes Village you drive past three of them just poking up out of the fields. The one nearest the village has a footpath running right by it. It's always quite a strange feeling when you're stood next to it knowing what's beneath your feet. Admittedly along way down though. Being a trained bricklayer myself I don't think I would have the nerve to have worked on building something like that. Hats off to the guys that did all those years ago. Must have had nerves of steel!

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Looks mint mate.

Liking the split box action.

The tunnel vent shaft looks ace.

That corner of PDW is very good. Its one of those difficult and often fatal areas where the tendency is to clutter up and it only makes things unrealistic. Youve haven't done that, and its done a top job, realistic and well thought out. nice one! You wouldn't even know it was a corner as the rockface takes your eye away from the 90 degree. 

Trev :)

Thanks Trev

It's an area I've been to get on with for a while. I had added the hanging basket liner ages ago but hadn't even removed the backing. With the buildings taking shape in the quarry I thought it was high time I returned to the area as it was showing up in the pictures I had taken. I've got to think now how to make a realistic fence for the top of the cliff face. The matchsticks are temporary at the moment just to mark out the fence line. I made some nice fence on the old layout from those big thick cooks matches that would withstand having a hole drilled through them. Unfortunately I dont seem to be able to find them anymore. I might end up going down the plastistruct route but I liked the texture of the matches. I've tried drilling the normal matches but unfortunately they just splinter.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers

Marcus

Peak Dale Wood Quarry got turned back in time at the weekend when my mate, Owen brought some more of his fleet for running in.

For a bit of fun we had a bit of a line up at the end of the day before they were placed back in their boxes.

post-18515-0-60007900-1484667473_thumb.jpeg

Must admit, even being a diesel man, I did take quite a shine to the little Peckett.

• Like 7