The Dark Side - Question : Solvent for Skytrex

The Bigbee Line

Something I've thought about for a long long time is a foray into a larger gauge,  O gauge, Gauge 1 or
even Gauge 3.  Again not sure if UK or US outline.  A recent visit to the exhibition at Ally Pally gave me
the opportunity to look at a Dapol O gauge Terrier in the flesh.  I was impressed by the general
appearance and was advised that the SR and LBSC versions were on the horizon for delivery with the
BR versions to follow afterwards.  Inwardly I was thinking of the BR version.  Also at Ally Pally I made
an impulse buy of two skytrex wagons for £15 each.

Then when I got home I had a good look at the two wagons.  A novel construction method and some
minor shortcomings.  However the impression was of something solid, nothing that needed to be done
was too daunting.  They are a shorter version of the RCH wooden underframed mineral wagon.  I was
then thinking of either a Newhaven or Colonel Stephens line.  A recent trip to Tenterden had lead to
the purchase of the excellent Brian Hart book on the Kent and East Sussex Railway.  Things were
beginning to gel.  I would skip the BR version as I have a lot of 4mm early BR rolling stock, to get the
same in 7mm would be a bit boring.  Which do I choose, the LBSC or SR versions, well the lined olive
green SR livery has always had a great attraction, so the decision was made to purchase the SR
version and go for the premis of the loco being loaned to the KESR to cover a motive power shortage.

The layout will be very simple, not just one siding like Junction Road, but no more than three sets of
points, long and thin.  Rolling stock will be a few wagons (Maximum 10), maybe one coach and a
brake van.  The opportunity to control the roster is quite welcome.

There are a couple of questions RHWebbers could answer:

How late was 32644 in Olive green?  I'm thinking of setting it just before the second world war.

Would the Skytrex short RCH wagons have been running as PO's at that time or were there some
railway owned wagon of the same types?

COSTS SO FAR

1 x Tri=ang Minfit                                                                       £15.20
1 x three hole disc wheels                                                          £7.00
2 x Skytrex wagons                                                                   £15.00
1 x 5 Plank Open                                                                      £10.50
Coupling Chain 48 links                                                          £6.99
3 x Copperclad Turnouts                                                         £66.57
1 x Dapol Terrier                                                                     £169.50

Dapol also have an SR Brake Van and a number of Southern Railway wagons in their range.

Martin,

I might succum to a Pillbox Brake, although I scanned through the Brian Hart book yesterday and there was one reference to a GE brake van.  So I'll do some research in that direction.

There were also a couple of 1940's pictures of SR locomotives on loan in Olive Green..

As O is new to me I'm going to keep a running total of costs to see how expensive it is.  Currently making modest bids on a few wagons on ebay,

How late was 32644 in Olive green?  I'm thinking of setting it just before the second world war.

Hi Bigbee,

2644 carried the lined green into the war years. But Dapol have got 2644 wrong in as much as it retained the condensing pipe from the smokebox to the tank while it retained it's green livery (also the vent pipes on top of the tank) By the time it became 32644 at Nationalisation, and painted in plain black livery with sunshine British Railways on the tanks, it had lost both the pipe and the vents - date unknown.

One number that could be applied to the Dapol model 'as supplied' in the lined green livery is 2636, there may be others.

Hope that this helps

Mike

Hi Bigbee,

2644 carried the lined green into the war years. But Dapol have got 2644 wrong in as much as it retained the condensing pipe from the smokebox to the tank while it retained it's green livery (also the vent pipes on top of the tank) By the time it became 32644 at Nationalisation, and painted in plain black livery with sunshine British Railways on the tanks, it had lost both the pipe and the vents - date unknown.

One number that could be applied to the Dapol model 'as supplied' in the lined green livery is 2636, there may be others.

Hope that this helps

Mike

Mike, thanks for that. Can you point me to suitable pictures of 2644 please. I had a good look at the models at Ally Pally. The only thing I noticed was the back of the buffer looked slightly odd. I'm no expert but I've been buffer spotting, to improve my OO version.

Regarding a pipe or number change (or leaving as it is.). I think I'll see how other people get on.

Hi Bigbee,

I saw the Terrier at Ally Pally to, it does look good!

Are you going R-T-R (new, s/hand or pre-made kits, etc.)

or are you considering building your own (kits or scratch

built) for the rest of your stock?

Jeff

Mike, thanks for that. Can you point me to suitable pictures of 2644 please. I had a good look at the models at Ally Pally. The only thing I noticed was the back of the buffer looked slightly odd. I'm no expert but I've been buffer spotting, to improve my OO version.

Regarding a pipe or number change (or leaving as it is.). I think I'll see how other people get on.

Hi Bigbee,

PM sent regarding photos, but here a few of 'one that I did earlier' - the San Cheng model, with the pipe and vents removed and in shabby pre-withdrawal (1951) livery

cheers

Mike

post-6951-0-10878100-1428316771.jpg

post-6951-0-63724300-1428316771.jpg

post-6951-0-10985500-1428316772.jpg

post-6951-0-85740300-1428316772.jpg

Hi Bigbee,

I saw the Terrier at Ally Pally to, it does look good!

Are you going R-T-R (new, s/hand or pre-made kits, etc.)

or are you considering building your own (kits or scratch

built) for the rest of your stock?

Jeff

I'm considering anything. For economy a build based on a cheap purchase is an easy way to start. I'm looking to work from any pictures of the time period. One thing I want to establish if one of the steel mineral wagons could realistically have made it to the KESR, in the late 30s. I have a Triang version that I'd like to shorten and detail up.

One of the attractions of O is the ability to create more realistic brake work. In most cases using material to hand.

Ok then,

If you fancy scratch-aid, then it's worth looking out for

some of the Highfield kits. They are quite cheap (we're

talking coaches here), and they did a few Southern types.

If you check my thread on Highfield kits, you'll find some

of the coaches they did, listed by other helpful members.

I saw a couple for sale on the MRC members stand at

Ally Pally, at least 1 each from LSWR, LBSCR and SECR.

(and about £25 each!)

They are body only, but the chassis, under-frame and the

bogies can be sourced and constructed without to much

hassle.

Good luck, Jeff 

be

Hi Martin,

I suppose you could keep checking E-b*y,

I believe they come up every now and then.

Also, if you're a member, it's worth checking

the Gauge 0 Guild sales area (forum).

Frizinghall Models has the Sentinel kit (new,

stock 1), which was originally designed for the

Lima power bogie. (they did have a kit for the

LNER tram loco, but I bought it!)

Maybe you'll need to find a friend/relative who

can do the shows for you and send the results

over. I've had results at Ally Pally, Reading and

Kettering so far.

Good luck, Jeff

Ernie

Like you the charm of 7mm scale is something else and one I have fallen for, also as my inlaws line near the KESR it also has quite a pull. The Terrier is quite superb looking and it would be very hard to build anything as good in detail. I have a Xion 0-6-0 plus a Slaters Manning Wardle K class to build, next up I am torn between a Roxey Mouldings P class or Beattie well class loco, the P is so small and the well so different

As for the copperclad turnouts, have they been built ?. The reason for asking is that chaired track is ever so obvious in 0 gauge

Ernie

Like you the charm of 7mm scale is something else and one I have fallen for, also as my inlaws line near the KESR it also has quite a pull. The Terrier is quite superb looking and it would be very hard to build anything as good in detail. I have a Xion 0-6-0 plus a Slaters Manning Wardle K class to build, next up I am torn between a Roxey Mouldings P class or Beattie well class loco, the P is so small and the well so different

As for the copperclad turnouts, have they been built ?. The reason for asking is that chaired track is ever so obvious in 0 gauge

I agree O gauge does have a chunky charm of its own.

The turnouts were a bargain on eBay. Just something to get me going. In the sidings I was going to make some flat bottom code 100 on wooden sleepers. What's the verdict of Peco points?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Ernie - I like the sound of your project - KESR is heavenly!

Peco points are good but they are very long - 16.5" for the left and right hand long points - the Y is slightly shorter at 15" - they look very nice but they take up an awful lot of space...

Ernie - I like the sound of your project - KESR is heavenly!

Peco points are good but they are very long - 16.5" for the left and right hand long points - the Y is slightly shorter at 15" - they look very nice but they take up an awful lot of space...

16.5" isn't bad. 33" for a crossover, still reasonable. I wonder how long the Dyke would pan out in O. Only 5 turnouts and a catch point. Another option would be the goods yard at Lewes Road.

For the moment though it's a model based on Bodiam. The other change will be methodology. I've a drawing of the station building, so might bump that up the to do list. After all it is fun.

• RMweb Gold

True, 33" for a crossover isn't bad but when you've got limited space like me every little helps!

Bodiam is a good choice - if you shorten siding lengths accordingly I reckon it would fit in a reasonable space.

Good afternoon,

Just having a lunch break (working from home), the Postman arrived this morning with my 3 turnouts from Ebay.

post-2484-0-55309700-1428580536.jpg

post-2484-0-90739800-1428580548.jpg

Just what I need for Bodiam.  They look OK.  Might try adding cosmetic chairs.  Any hints / suggestions on that sublect would be appreciated.  Anyway, they will get me going.

A question for our experts:

1)  When were the three hole disc wagons introduced for freight stock?

Have a good day...

there was a very nice o gauge layout of Rolvendon at york show.

and one key feature of Col. Stephens, lots of corrogated iron, 

Were you able to take any pictures of the layout?

I do like the corrugated iron. 

Last year I stopped of at Northiam on a scorching summers day.  Took loads of pictures of the structure:

post-2484-0-73673800-1428581073_thumb.jpg

The rest of the pictures are on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/sets/72157648270737494/

In June we're planning a weekend break to the coast, staying near Playden, with a planned trip on the KESR.  Lots of photos to take.  Interestingly at Northiam the 'new' toilet block has been recreated in the Colonel Stephens style, with only a quick glance you could miss that it wasn't original. 

Good afternoon,

Just having a lunch break (working from home), the Postman arrived this morning with my 3 turnouts from Ebay.

attachicon.gifPoints for Bodiam 1.jpg

attachicon.gifpoints for bodiam 2.JPG

Just what I need for Bodiam.  They look OK.  Might try adding cosmetic chairs.  Any hints / suggestions on that sublect would be appreciated.  Anyway, they will get me going.

A question for our experts:

1)  When were the three hole disc wagons introduced for freight stock?

Have a good day...

Ernie

I think you would struggle getting chairs to look any good with these turnouts short of a full rebuild. Simply because the rail has to be lifted from the sleepers by 1 mm. Had you bought an un-built kit with a little adjustment it could have been built to accept chairs. I would just use plenty of ballast and weather it in well.

• RMweb Premium

Alphagraphics do a KESR card station building kit, don't remember how the corrugated iron effect looks but its a starting point

I think Hodson's Flour Mill could be an interesting feature to model with 2 sidings & its own P Class

Dava

I think Slaters make something suitable. Instead of trying to over-lap the thick plastic corrugated card, jut make butt-joints with solvent and it gives a good effect.

I have previously used corrugated aluminium made by AMRI but I don't know if it's sold in the UK.

Martin,

Thanks for the advice. 

I was thinking about the joins.  I did wonder about overlays of thick aluminium foil. 

Something to practice.

Archived