The Dark Side - Question : Solvent for Skytrex

The Bigbee Line

Guest Isambarduk

Years ago now, I set up two wide Meccano gears in proper mesh and fed strips of aluminium foil through them as I turned the handle on the shaft of one of them.  I seem to remember that I was very pleased with the result but I was only a teenager; it may not look so good to me today!  For what it is worth.    David

Assistance Required:

I'm looking for the detail of coaches and goods brake vans used on the KESR in the late 1930's and early 1940's.

The Southern did a swap with the KESR, where they got the 0-8-0T Hecate, plus some scrap coaches in exchange for an LSWR tank and two LSWR brake coaches.  Any coach numbers, pictures etc would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Could be SR 3121 or 3093; SR diag 138. These were both right hand corridor four compartment brake thirds. There are photos in Rails to Tenterden - Lens of Sutton 1967!! The numbers come from Weddell's LSWR coaches book vol 2. The bad news is that as far as I know, nobody makes a kit. Corridor bogie LSWR kits are non existent. I have a tri-compo brake to build at some stage.

Paul,

Thanks for that information. 

i have been searching through the Brian Hart book and on page 194 it shows a number of ex LSWR compartment coaches.  One has an arc roof, so might have a look and see what I could bodge one out of.... maybe a Slaters Midland 43'Brake Third 7C033?

I picked up a three aitch open from ebay,  Quaint construction.  Will need a rebuild as the solebar on one side is about 4mm out of line with the other one.  Quite sturdy though.  The thing that impresses me with O Gauge is its inherent sturdiness.

Anyway, must get some 4mm ballasting done...

• 2 weeks later...

I had to work yesterday and this morning.  Then a bit of gardening.

Yesterday I popped into the local model shop and came away with some yard lengths of Peco Bullhead.  My initial impressions were positive. 

When I got home I tried to curve it and see if it would fit on a couple of curved board tops I'd got in stock.  The curve was no problem, but when you look along the track, the Peco, 'gapping alternate sleepers on alternate sides' arrangment gave the curve a slight 'threepenny bit' look.  Very slight and not visible in the picture:

post-2484-0-15205300-1430062620_thumb.jpg

I thought of separating the sleepers to let the track curve naturally.  At the same time I wondered if there was any merit in spacing the sleepes as per the prototype.  I know the KESR was built with 30' lengths.  I found a convenient length of derilict BH track with 45' rail lengths.  I measured the sleeper centres from the rail joints.  They close up at the ends and are wider in the middle.  I then made an executive decision and divided the rail into three parts with a marker pen.  These come out at between 43 and 44 feet.  I'm not Scale7 so I thought, lets see how 18 sleepers spaced as my prototype would look.

Here is Peco 'as is':

post-2484-0-21136900-1430063019_thumb.jpg

Here it is with the sleepers re-spaced:

.post-2484-0-70448500-1430063031_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else tried this?  (I don't want to re-invent the wheel)

Suggestions please.

I have not tried it, I would of thought you only need to do the webs on the inside rail so they close up. keeping them on the outside rail will help maintain the spacings.

I did that at first. Thought I'd be clever. Probably not worth it. Just remove the inner webs. Curves nicely then.

I think I would tend to cut the sleeper webs, and space them as near prototypically as I could. I think Peco track is spaced to American standards, rather than British, but if you have prototype measurements, you can get it right! Sleepers were often closer at the ends of track panels to support the joint. I'd use a Stanley knife or wood chisel to cut the webs.

If I could get two panels of track from one yard, I'd be tempted to only cut half way through the rails and stick cosmetic fishplates on to give the effect of a track joint, without the risk of a "kink" at the joint.

C&L do plastic fishplates which will keep the rail ends aligned but you do need to clean up the ends of the rail so they fit without spreading, and pre-bend the rails so that they lie in the right place without trying to spring back, otherwise the dreaded kinks will appear.

HTH

Simon

• RMweb Premium

C&L flexitrack is an alternative to Peco. It ha a more accurate sleeper spacing, lower profile with thinner sleepers so easier to ballast, & easier to curve.

I bought some s\h lengths & definitely prefer it.

Dava

• 1 month later...

Great weekend with a visit to Showcase at Burton. Came away with some C&L track and track gauges. Also a couple of Dapol wagons (I know they get a slating when reviewed, but they look "good enough" to me. The shopping also yielded a paperback version of the OPC LMS wagon book.

For RTR, the offerings from Dapol, Skytrex, Lionheart, etc are quite reasonable, as they only cost slightly more than kits of similar prototypes. I'm sure that their intended purpose is to give a selection of RTR to kick-start people in O gauge, and most modellers will then go on to build some basic kits and work on their modelling skills. I must admit that I am more interesting in building goods wagons of various sorts than locomotives, so RTR locos are a real boon for me. Sometimes I happen to see an RTR wagon that I like and I buy it, even though I still mostly built kits, kit-bash of scratch-build in some cases.

Eagerly awaiting the Terrier from Dapol and the Peckett from Minvera!

• 1 month later...

Not too much progress. Real trains taking up my time. Succumbed to some peco set track so I can set it up on the carpet. Just like kids eh!!

Got a couple of Dapol wagons and a pill box brake. I think they're nice.

Just waiting for the Terriers now. Notice the use of the plural......

Great weekend with a visit to Showcase at Burton. Came away with some C&L track and track gauges. Also a couple of Dapol wagons (I know they get a slating when reviewed, but they look "good enough" to me. The shopping also yielded a paperback version of the OPC LMS wagon book.

Ernie

Perhaps for some the Dapol stock may not be perfect, for someone who likes to model they can be bought up to standard with a little customising and once weathered no one will be any of the wiser

As far as the C&L track parts you are entering a whole new world of being able to build turnouts and crossings to fit your plan instead of having to fit the plan around the items available, this can be very satisfying especially if you have access to the full size stuff for comparison (even though you may be forced into a smaller size compromise)

Good luck

I don't think they get a slating because " they're no good", it's because they could have been superb with only a bit more thought, and probably without costing any more.

Not that it matters much to me, I'm not buying any as I have a cupboard full of things to build...

Best

Simon

• 1 month later...

Are you a member of the Colonel Stephens Society? There area a few drawing of coaches available from the Society, but maybe not what you're looking for

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/colonel%20stephens%20society%20drawings%20service-35/index.html

There are also drawings of various 4 wheel coaches, plus the Pickering rebuilds as bogie coaches, on the Colonel H.F. Stephens Yahoo Group. I think you have to be a Society member to join it, but I'm not sure.

Archived