BRM MAY 2015 ISSUE with FREE DVD!

Afternoon everyone,

The May 2015 issue of BRM, complete with FREE DVD and a DCC Concepts mini-magazine, is now on-sale as a Digital Edition and will be available in shops from Thursday, April 9th.

Here’s a run-down on what you expect inside this cracking issue and on the DVD itself.

Enjoy,

Ben

post-22012-0-45701400-1428419349_thumb.jpg

·  FREE DVD with every issue!
Included on this month’s free DVD is:
Turner’s Folly – a large DCC controlled, OO gauge layout that encourages exhibition visitors to 'have a go'
Didcot Railway Centre – we go behind the scenes!
Phil Parker offers a guide to working with plastic card
Howard Smith looks at the ZTC 611 DCC controller
We delve into the BRM Archive and present the Great Western layout of 'Westcliff'

·         And, here’s what you’ll find inside the 148-page issue of BRM

Four inspirational model railways
Bodmin North: A quiet Cornish terminus set in the 1950s, Bodmin North is a beautifully modelled layout and fully deserves its place as our ‘Layout of the Month’
London Road & Elveden Road: Two high quality modern image layouts are presented together to give a real flavour of contemporary East Midlands railways
Turner’s Folly: A real crowd pleaser at model railway shows, this unusual layout encourages visitors of all ages to ‘have a go’

Practical BRM
Second-hand savers: Phil Parker shows what can be done with items from the second-hand market in the first part of this new series
Prince of Wales Part 2: Howard Smith continues his transformation of the Hornby P2
Build a modern filling station: James Makin explains how he scratchbuilt an essential feature of the modern world for Worthing MRC’s Loftus Road layout
Model a West Highland Class 37: presenting Ray Kitching’s conversion of a Bachmann Class 37 into an Eastfield machine
Hybrid Highs: David Spencer uses Parkside Dundas wagon kits as the basis of some variations of LMS/BR wagon types

Plus…
BRM Interview: Ben Jones meets a relatively new retailer finding its feet in the London area
Prototype Inspiration: Eastfield Class 37s
Reader’s Layouts
Tail Lamp

New Products
Interview: Ben Jones meets Bachmann’s new European Sales & Marketing Director David Haarhaus and finds out what the future holds in an exclusive, in-depth interview.
Bachmann/Graham Farish 2015/16 Launch - News Special
What’s New: Hornby’s latest model, YouChoos DCC decoder accessories and a portable compressor from Airbrushes.com
Reviews: Bachmann’s new ‘Modified Hall’ and BR 20t grain wagon, two GWR ‘Stars’ from Hornby and Heljan’s latest O gauge wagons
Tried & Tested: ZTC 611 & DCC Concepts Point Kit

Hope you all enjoy it. Let us know what you think!

All the best

Ben

post-22012-0-45701400-1428419349_thumb.jpg

Subscriber copy arrived today and it's a cracker. Particularly enjoyed the article and dvd programme on Turner's Folly. Really refreshing to see a "run what I like" layout. No fixed era or area and everything from steam to modern all at the same time. Loved it!

I had my usual quick look through the magazine and watched the DVD this morning.

The Bachmann interview was interesting, especially as I'd just read about Hornby's conscious move towards on-line retailing in Railway Modeller. Bachmann appear to be sticking with the current retailer's network and hat's off to them for that.

I was intrigued by Howard's progress on the P2; I was particularly impressed with the amount of work he's put in on the smokebox door area. I was heartened by his use of Yeadon's Register as a reference work - essential when modelling any loco class - never mind the drawings, look at the photographs!, it really does look like No.2007 will be a stunning model. However although I am a big user of Fox Transfers myself, I prefer the HMRS version for LNER gold shaded transfers as I think they look more like the real thing, but each to their own I suppose.

BRM went through an awkward transition for a while from the Tony Wright era to Ben Jones's current editorship, it is now in fine fettle and alongside the venerable RM, is my must-buy each month.

Glenn

Read through most of my issue already ! only had it three days.

It was particularly interesting to read about salvaging second hand buildings, I've been using them and card models to hone my scratchbuilding skills, at present I'm working on a Hornby Goods shed cladding it in South east finescale plasicard to see if I can make it look a little more like the one I remember at Ross on Wye back in my boyhood days.

The Bachmann interview was particularly pleasing to read, it's good to know that they are working hard to stimulate the grass roots of the hobby, and take part in shows, by attending and sponsoring them.

• RMweb Premium

The Bodmin North 7mm layout was right up my street. Excellent photos but I felt the accompanying article was a bit thin. 7mm is primarily a builders scale it would have been good to have had a little mention in the captions about whose kits were used to make the locos.

Interesting to see what actually fits in the same overall room I have. Sadly though a big chunk of my room has other uses. Inspirational stuff though.

Interesting to see what actually fits in the same overall room I have. Sadly though a big chunk of my room has other uses. Inspirational stuff though.

It's a trackplan which really does work; aside from it being a very impressive piece of modelling it would be ideally suited to a 10 x 8 shed for a 4mm modeller who likes operating a branch line as it should be.

My favourite pic was only used as a thumbnail with the plan.

Feature3t.jpg

Is it just on the backscene David or physically modelled? 

Detail3s.jpg

Pete's layout models a fair section of it and in 7mm making a good corner feature; many photos from the station platform feature the prison so it had to be done somehow!

I think that on Aylesbury the prison was free standing rather than on the backscene but as on the rest of the layout it was done in reduced scale or forced perspective. When we exhibited the layout at Risex we had to omit the five feet of layout that had the model on as it would not fit in the room, although at Railex next year it will be exhibited in the full 36 feet.

Does John Greenwood's model of Bodmin in 2mm scale feature the prison?

David

• RMweb Premium

Read and enjoyed the printed copy during layover on rail replacement coach. I must say how useful I find the DVD, some things eg dry brush painting, are so much easier to explain on DVD than in print.

It's a trackplan which really does work; aside from it being a very impressive piece of modelling it would be ideally suited to a 10 x 8 shed for a 4mm modeller who likes operating a branch line as it should be.

My favourite pic was only used as a thumbnail with the plan.

attachicon.gifFeature3t.jpg

Interesting picture...were the Totems at Bodmin North actually aligned across the platform, rather than the "usual" in line, to be read from a train?

Not nit picking...actually intersted to know!

• Administrators

What is the story on new subscribers like me who signed up at Ally Pally as my May edition has yet to arrive?

Hi John,

I have just chased this up for you. Those who subscribed at Ally Pally will have their subscriptions start with the June issue. I apologise - I'm told that we missed the May issue subscription run. A letter is, apparently, in the post.

Apologies once more.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

I have just chased this up for you. Those who subscribed at Ally Pally will have their subscriptions start with the June issue. I apologise - I'm told that we missed the May issue subscription run. A letter is, apparently, in the post.

Apologies once more.

Steve

Thanks for letting me know. I thought something like that might be the case, I shall quickly nip out and get the May edition later!

• Administrators

Read and enjoyed the printed copy during layover on rail replacement coach. I must say how useful I find the DVD, some things eg dry brush painting, are so much easier to explain on DVD than in print.

Glad it helps. I was keen to do dry brushing as it's really difficult to explain in print but easy to show. We've a few more things like this lined up - I filmed a couple more last week - so I hope it helps.

A bit of a random highlight for me! I thought the petrol station was great!

I often find that "present day" modelling just doesn't reach the same level of realism as period layouts, which is a bit paradoxical as we live in the present day and can go out and observe everything around us in detail! (Perhaps period layouts that I think look realistic aren't at all, because I never saw them in real life?).

The detailing was just great. Scrolling though Facebook one of the pictures popped up and I did a bit of a double-take to check it wasn't a picture of an actual petrol station(!)

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a random highlight for me! I thought the petrol station was great!

I often find that "present day" modelling just doesn't reach the same level of realism as period layouts, which is a bit paradoxical as we live in the present day and can go out and observe everything around us in detail! (Perhaps period layouts that I think look realistic aren't at all, because I never saw them in real life?).

The detailing was just great. Scrolling though Facebook one of the pictures popped up and I did a bit of a double-take to check it wasn't a picture of an actual petrol station(!)

Thanks Jamie that's really kind!

There's some more info and details about other projects I'm working on for Worthing MRC's Loftus Road in our thread we've got going here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69628-loftus-road-by-worthing-mrc/

Many thanks,

James

Thanks for the fantsatic pictures of my buildings on Bodmin North; Pete Clifton's layout is a cracker, it was pleasure to be involved with it. The prison is a lot smaller than scale as it's a background feature, but even so it only just went through the door and the tower had to be separate. 

I think you can take it that if Pete has put the totems like that it's right, he's very careful about the details.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the fantsatic pictures of my buildings on Bodmin North; Pete Clifton's layout is a cracker, it was pleasure to be involved with it. The prison is a lot smaller than scale as it's a background feature, but even so it only just went through the door and the tower had to be separate. 

I think you can take it that if Pete has put the totems like that it's right, he's very careful about the details.

Peter

Peter, some cracking buildings you've made on Bodmin. Did you also do the old stone and slate mill/store that's at the end of the line?

Archived