Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Although there were a lot of black engines on the WR young spotters were much more excited by the Kings and Castles in Green so thought that was a proper colour for a loco. Similarly the expresses seemed to go from Blood and Custard to Cocolate and Cream whereas the stoppers had the blood and custard or even more gloomy maroon. Meanwhile the Southern was all black engines and green coaches (they didn't let the SR green locos come to Reading). When the Bristolian came thundering through with a King up front and Chocolate and Cream coaches behind it was a magnificent sight.

Don

'course green SR locos came to Reading Don - but you had to go Reading West to see them ;)  (or anywhere between there & Tilehurst of course).

• RMweb Premium

'course green SR locos came to Reading Don - but you had to go Reading West to see them ;)  (or anywhere between there & Tilehurst of course).

There were some quite green Schools and Arthurs on Reading SR depot most times I went past in 1960 and 61.

Occasionally there would be SR coaches in General; not sure if the green loco's ever came onto General, but Reading West experienced SR trains and Bulleid light Pacifics to and from the Midlands (well Oxford for the loco's).

Quackers

Talk of the Buxton area with sighing !!!! (Lovely area to model though !!). Ah, so.

Anyway, nice work Coach, especially the subtle weathering. Thanks.

All the DCC equipment is in and waiting in the wings although I still need decoders. No hurry, as I aim to complete the scenery first and there is the little matter of the loco-servicing facility that I mentioned a few weeks ago. Trouble is I need to get back to earning a crust soon after several months off work and so updates might be few from now on.

• RMweb Premium

All the DCC equipment is in and waiting in the wings although I still need decoders. No hurry, as I aim to complete the scenery first and there is the little matter of the loco-servicing facility that I mentioned a few weeks ago. Trouble is I need to get back to earning a crust soon after several months off work and so updates might be few from now on.

Well that's good news for customers and potential customers then. Little less good for you, however I reckon you will still complete everything before I even get started on anything!

Good luck and enjoy the  extended weekend.

Phil

Coachman -would you mind outlining how you have done the excellent signalbox name please. I have to do rename for Hawkinsfield and not sure of best way of doing this- black background with the white lettering?

Many thanks, Andy R

I set the nameplates in in a programme that has not been available for years, in fact i had to foil my PC upgrade into recognising it. I do all my company leaflets on it, this is why I am reluctant to buy a new PC. The earlier PC's were workmanlike tools even though they were sluggish and often exasperating. 

Thinking about it, it might be possible to make signalbox nameplates on Photoshop by striking a black rectangle and overlaying it with a white font such as Ariel. But I dont know if it is possible from the program to resize things for printing to the size you require apart from resizing things on screen before printing. It is all trial & error in the end.

You could get a dark background with white font on PowerPoint. You can size the text box in mm and set the font to fit the space or vice versa. The colour palette can manipulated to the desired colour. You can fill the background colour separately to the font colour. Using other shapes you could build out the border as desired

• RMweb Gold

Coming together nicely. From the angle of the photo those steps for the cabin are quite close to the track. A bit of boarding in front of the box would look like it was covering all the rodding and give somewhere for the bobby to walk.

Don

Coming together nicely. From the angle of the photo those steps for the cabin are quite close to the track. A bit of boarding in front of the box would look like it was covering all the rodding and give somewhere for the bobby to walk.

Don

Not yet added. I got the rodding kits etc when they first came out.

Archived