Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

Hi coach 

Just a reminder that the Ellesmere layout is at Rainhill Show this coming weekend t?hought I would wander over on Saturday was impressed with what I saw on your thread earlier. Are you intending to go over the weekend 

I haven't been to a railway exhibition in years. Ellesmere is a fine layout and it's builder has been very helpful to me.

I hid away upstairs this afternoon to enjoy that old film of the LLanfyllin branch. I always enjoyed riding those Welsh branch lines as they twisted into the mountains.

My one regret is never to have taken the time to travel from Oswestry via Three Cocks Junction to Brecon - I could so easily have done it. :wild: :angry:

dh

How about the Tanat Valley Railway to Llangynog?

A wierd thing happened to me a whike ago....

I was looking at a map, and spotted Llangynog, not so far away from Oswestry.  It rang a bell....sounding a lot like Llaniog, the station featured in Ivor The Engine!

The valley looked like a likely route for a line to the coast, via Dolgelly, except for the mountains that is.... So I drew up a plan for a line from near Oswestry to Llangynog, as part of a failed scheme to get to the coast, scuppered by lack of finance to conquer the mountains!

There were a few places that could provide traffic, including Llanrhaeadr-Ym-Mochnant, with the torist attraction of Pistyll Rhaeadr, a waterfall that is one of the wonders of Wales.

There were also quarries at Llanyblodwel.

A while after doing the plan, I found out that there was indeed a railway up the valley of the Afon Tanat....The Tanat Valley Light Railway!  So much for fact being stranger than fiction!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Tanat_Valley_Rly.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanat_Valley_Light_Railway

The trackbed is visible from Llangynog, where a Caravan Site is on the station site, on the Google Maps photos...it gets more difficult to follow after a lake on the trackbed though!

A lot of the trackbed seems to have been made into access roads for agriculture...

Until, with diligence, you end up with the rails at Llanyblodwell!

Closed to Passengers in 1951. Goods traffic to Llanrhaeadr-Ym-Mochnant continued until 1960....

Thanks Sarahagain. Photos are generally selective and depict Oswestry as a compact station and that is what I hope to capture on 4mm scale. The building that survives to this day will be the focal point across the tracks with Welshpool on the left. The curve at the Whitchurch end will have to be reversed due to space.

Code 100 will not feature in the station after all although it will be everywhere else. The C+L hi-sleeper bullhead track arrived today. The fact that the railhead perfectly matches the height of Peco Code 75 points did it for me in the end to save a lot of faffing about....

post-6680-0-49762100-1456863539_thumb.jpg

Can I just add. With the Hornby model, the bogie wheels have too wide a tread, this really shows on the 'face' of the engine. Someday I will get around to replacing mine with Gibson's. Other than that, there is little to choose between them. Maybe the Hornby has the edge on hauling power, I have some gradients on my layout. But on the level and for your use, that wouldn't be a worry. Minor differences in density of lining, both use red and cream, but nothing that judicious weathering wouldn't hide. I'm quite happy to run them together double heading.

Hi Bob. For Oswestry General, read Windermere as that is what the track plan is for. It is a wagon turntable and goods platform / shed.

Not sure of the relevance here but Windermere was gravity shunted for both passenger and freight by backing up the branch, holding the train on the brakes, running the loco off and then allowing gravity to do the rest. Hence why there is no obvious run-round or station pilot facilities; there was neither.

Hello Jason...

As a follow up question.....are you aware if this wagon turntable was set, as it looks to be from the plan here, between two platforms...?

Cheers

Bob

Early 1950s! :sungum:

So, Crimson and Cream corridor coaches, with the odd one or two still in the last GWR livery....Crimson non-corridor stock....also with the odd GW livery survivor.

Nice LNWR style lined black halls with red name and numberplates, those that are not still in GWR livery, perhaps with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in GWR style lettering....

It could mean the odd Ivatt 2-6-0 or 2-6-2T in LMS lined black?

Some wagons still in pre-BR liveries, esprcially the "small letterig over the number" liveries....

Plenty of wooden bodied ex PO wagons in rather tatty liveries, with "P" prefix numbers on crudely applied black patches, and white diagonals for the door ends of so-fitted mineral wagons....

Possibly one of the most varied periods, I think so anyway! Crimson & Cream....one of the nicest coach liveries. Since revived in Scotland!

Not very many Diesel Locos....perhaps a recently built 0-6-0 Diesel Elaectric Shunter (08) or earlier LMS/ GWR types....

post-12119-0-22116000-1457437946_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-39637400-1457438030_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-25765600-1457438045_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-29456600-1457438088_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-35421600-1457438125_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-81272300-1457438172_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-86781100-1457438207_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-56909400-1457438276_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

...and a blue "King" and a green "Castle" and a lined black "Star"? or were they always green?

Ed

I believe the latter were basically green Ed - but latterly on most of them the colour was obscured by filth judging by all the pictures I have seen (the only exception being appearances on/just after railtours).   At least one 'Saint' made it into fully lined out BR black but again most latterday pictures show them to be distinctly grubby.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived