Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

I had a wake-up call discussion with a friend the other day on the phone: "So you've created an embankment and a hollow yeh?"  "Yup". "So water will collect in the bottom creating different colour grasses and possibly reeds and mud......And there would be a stream down there, or even a river........"

Jeeps, what have I let myself in for!  He is right of course and I shall have to give the matter more thought when modelling time returns.   :(

Easier to cut the baseboards off before the bottom of the ditch? Oh, wait, we already saw the outcome of that decision first time around.

(sorry for the edit. Windows 10 browser and rmweb compatibility issues)

Another of our intrepid photographers gave us this side-on view from across the field....

attachicon.gifWEB long straight 15.jpg

So far as drainage of the pit goes - the above pic suggests there is a drainage culvert through the embankment roughly between the first and second coach.

I reckon it was a site with founds dug for some structure (possible dating from before the railway ) that has just remained a depression in the landscape ever since.

dhig

It must be the camera angles, but some of the coach numbers appear to not be straight.

Post #1120, pics 2 & 4

Post #1121 pic 2

Could just be me.

Two for one mate - Specavers ! :)

Two reasons, I think.

1. I typed 1120 instead of 1180

2. The coach pics have been removed.

Any thoughts on why that might be Stubby47?

Larry has removed stuff before when (I think) he regards his thread is being messed with. Invariably it is our loss.

Painting coaches is Larry's livelihood, so off the cuff, "I'm not quite sure" remarks about the quality of his work could threaten his income.

A bit of thought would not go amiss.

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts on why that might be Stubby47?

Larry has removed stuff before when (I think) he regards his thread is being messed with. Invariably it is our loss.

Painting coaches is Larry's livelihood, so off the cuff, "I'm not quite sure" remarks about the quality of his work could threaten his income.

A bit of thought would not go amiss.

I accept your reasoning.

Never for one moment would I criticise Larry, or his work.

However, my post merely stated that the numbers appeared to be mis-aligned, and that it could be just my view of it.

If the number were correctly aligned, then it is indeed my mistake.

If the numbers were mis-aligned, then what ever I said, the customer who had purchased the coaches would be the one who could 'threaten his income'.

Whilst I have not yet met Larry, I would hope that he would see my post as nothing more than support and constructive - as I accept any post on any of my threads that highlight possible mistakes I may have made.

I have no idea why the pictures have been removed - I have had a PM from another member who agreed with what I appeared to be seeing.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Larry is either checking or amending the coaches. A good friend Brian Broumpton now sadly missed made locos professionally when a customer noticed a slight dent in a loco he had ordered Brian instantly took it back fixed the dent re-sent it to Bracks for re-painting before returning it to the customer. I would imagine Larry acting in the same manner.  

Don

• RMweb Gold

Once someone mentioned the slightly tilted running numbers, which looked worse because of the angle of the shots, the coach pictures were pulled and attended to. The 5's, for example, are taller than other characters and this leads to things not being quite in line.

I remember a picture of 46237 in Early BR Blue livery where be it the camera angle or whatever the cabside numbers took on a definite upwards slant from left to right.

• RMweb Gold

'Reality' never looks correct on a model ha ha...

Probably why I try to take most RTR whinging threads with a pinch of salt. You can only make a strictly correct scale model in a large scale, for instance the standard nameboard letters on an LMS signal box are 1mm high when you get to 2mm scale. A point rod is about 0.4mm wide at 4mm scale.

Perception of relative sizes and the way colours are seen shifts as the scale changes and hence perspectives are altered. 

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I decided to produce some modern coaches for the LMS but the Staniers were not commercial due to my own Design Clever not being as clever as I thought! Anyway, this week I am building a handful for Ellesmere by using up parts from other coaches married to the Stanier sides. This is the first, a post-war corridor third to D2119 with the prewar style window sliding vents. Later Lots got the newer windows as fitted to 'Porthole' stock and some didn't even have sliding vents! The first change from prewar thirds were the one-piece lavatory window and roof vents over the corridor. They all had welded (non-riveted) underframes....

attachicon.gifWEB D2119 C.jpg

The other postwar change was the additional two doors on the corridor side. These two doors introduced curly door handles as well. I am also using up some 3D printed bogies that I have modified to make them useful.....

attachicon.gifWEB D2119 A.jpg

If the running numbers look cock-eyed, keep it to yourself and we will phone you haha....

attachicon.gifWEB D2119 B.jpg

Beautiful Coachman. Do you use Pressifx for numbering?

Beautiful Coachman. Do you use Pressifx for numbering?

'Methfix' always. Re. these excellent transfers, I remember buying some of the initial small sheets when they hit our local model shop.  Must have been all of 52 years ago. It is doubtful I would have gone into the painting & lining business full time without them.

• RMweb Premium

'Methfix' always. Re. these excellent transfers, I remember buying some of the initial small sheets when they hit our local model shop.  Must have been all of 52 years ago. It is doubtful I would have gone into the painting & lining business full time without them.

Thanks Coach. I didn't realise you could still get Methfix. I must pay more attention.

• RMweb Premium

Those Staniers make the plassi ones discussed elsewhere (ANTB) look really basic!

I just love the finish you achieve with your painting and that maroon is just as I think they should look.

Pathetic me is wondering how I'm going to do the First window decals on one of my builds; should have done it before putting in each glazing piece, which was necessary to represent 'flush glazing' as it was/is a plassi Kirk Maunsell. Having read MY LMS Coaches book I have identified where there should be a NS compartment on a D1905 BTK (the above mentioned 'basic'). That might not happen I'm afraid!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Interesting though for your signalbox in the sidings maybe.  the apparent signalbox seen below wasn't a signalbox and had fully planked sides with a couple of smallish windows at the front (right side from this viewpoint, one at the back and one at the far end) and was the Yard Inspector's office at one time.

post-6859-0-89114900-1443376160_thumb.jpg

Alas 'as it would always be there' I never took any decent side views of it but it lurks in the pic below - start with the castle on the distant hillside and just below it and slightly to the left you will see this building with its two side windows and one at the end

post-6859-0-62912500-1443376330_thumb.jpg

However the chimney was in a rather interesting and unusual position as can be seen in the immediate foreground of this view  (daft isn't - I took a view of the roof but not the sides  :scratchhead: )

post-6859-0-80462800-1443376381_thumb.jpg

Mike,

That curved scissors crossing in the first picture looks lovely - I imagine even the track gurus on rmweb would be hard pushed to replicate it in model form.

Cheers,

Dave

I reckon The Baron aka Brian Harrop would give it a damn good try !

Archived