Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

Is WW2 a good enough excuse to have one East of Brighton? That's my excuse anyway for the South Westerly stock currently on the layout, although, I'm not really sure why I go looking for justification, it's mostly only me that sees my layout anyway. :')

I don't think you need too much of an excuse. See my previous post number 139 !! Go on. You know you want one

Norm

• Like 1

Chimney looks awfully weedy (far too thin) and with a massive injection pin mark 2/3 of the way up; compare it with the many pics of Normany on the Bluebell.

Otherwise looks a really beautiful model.

Dapol (sorry I can't remember who the rep is on here) are you going to adjust this???

Thanks

Alpha Fox.

Chimney looks awfully weedy (far too thin) and with a massive injection pin mark 2/3 of the way up; compare it with the many pics of Normany on the Bluebell.

Dapol (sorry I can't remember who the rep is on here) are you going to adjust this???

Thanks

Alpha Fox.

Well it seems that Dapol have managed to pull out all the stops with a superb model and then cock it up with an incorrect diameter chimney.

The so called face of an engine is what makes a model look right (weather it is or not in model form is another matter) The model with the latter non stovepipe chimney has a distinctly weedy chimney maybe Dapol can fix this before the models are fully manufactured.

I hope this is not yet another case of so near and yet so far !!

Here is a picture of 30096 at the Bluebell. You can see the model in its current guise is badly flawed.

post-21243-0-18134800-1510118485_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And so it starts...........

So the chimney is weedy but the white plastic cross heads are fine....?

Rob

• RMweb Gold

And so it starts...........

So the chimney is weedy but the white plastic cross heads are fine....?

Rob

I think we can be reasonably confident that the white cross-heads won't make it to the production models. :no:

The chimney is fairly noticeable, though. I'm no expert on B4s but my eye was drawn to it even before the prototype photo was posted.

Not only weedy, but with a taper that is far too pronounced for a Drummond chimney. 

However, even if it does transfer to the finished article, there are many worse modelling jobs than replacing a chimney.

John

The chimney is fairly noticeable, though. I'm no expert on B4s but my eye was drawn to it even before the prototype photo was posted.

However, even if it does transfer to the finished article, there are many worse modelling jobs than replacing a chimney.

John

So did you inform Dapol about it earlier then? Maybe they can do something

John

So did you inform Dapol about it earlier then? Maybe they can do something

• RMweb Gold

I think we can be reasonably confident that the white cross-heads won't make it to the production models. :no:

Not only weedy, but with a taper that is far too pronounced for a Drummond chimney. 

John

I made mention of the cross heads as it was so obviously something which won't make it to production but ignored by those grumping about the chimney.

The model is lovely and I can see a couple coming my way.

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks

Alpha Fox.

Its is a shame its like this. Wonder if it can be dressed in to the mould better or worst case scenario turn it round to have the ejector pin mark at the rear

They look very good - notably the Southern Railway line black version. But, while I don't normally comment on details, why are the 'monocles' on Normandy blocked out?

c'mon ..... it's in WARTIME black .............. so the filled-in cab windows are to prevent firebox glow escaping to all those Fockers circling above ....... DUH !

I have to admit I am glad they're producing 30089. I lived in Winchester during the era they shunted the goods yard and 30089 and 30096 were the last two regulars. I still remember how quiet they usually were. But of course they usually weren't moving too many wagons at once!

Yes I too remember 89 and 96 at Winchester around the same time.  Indeed I believe we may have met - did you live at Western Rd in Fulflood just off the Stockbridge Rd?  I lived at Weeke in those days. 

A regular haunt of mine was the London end of the Down platform near the signalbox and the yard shunter would stop at the water column right opposite to take on water.  There was also a good view up the line so that approaching expresses were in view for a decent time - Bullieds doing 80 on the Bournemouth Belle - and also a splendid view of Up trains getting away from Winchester - lots of slipping from the Bullieds!  Great days!

• RMweb Gold

c'mon ..... it's in WARTIME black .............. so the filled-in cab windows are to prevent firebox glow escaping to all those Fockers circling above ....... DUH !

Sorry but was the duh really necessary? Would you walk up to someone you don't know and say it? This isn't the playground :(

Edited by PaulRhB

Sorry but was the duh really necessary? Would you walk up to someone you don't know and say it? This isn't the playground :(

Apologies for that but I was rather hoping that someone might point out the total futility of blocking the portholes in - shall we say - a somewhat insubstantial and light-leaky cab ! ................. the 'DUH !' would then be aimed at myself.

( This may not be the playground - but I DO hope we have fun here !!?! )

I made mention of the cross heads as it was so obviously something which won't make it to production .....

Is the white paint inaccurate ?  I have no idea, but with black out regulations leading to cars having their front white wings painted white I can quite see mods to shunting engines.

Does anyone know ?

Yes I too remember 89 and 96 at Winchester around the same time.  Indeed I believe we may have met - did you live at Western Rd in Fulflood just off the Stockbridge Rd?  I lived at Weeke in those days. 

A regular haunt of mine was the London end of the Down platform near the signalbox and the yard shunter would stop at the water column right opposite to take on water.  There was also a good view up the line so that approaching expresses were in view for a decent time - Bullieds doing 80 on the Bournemouth Belle - and also a splendid view of Up trains getting away from Winchester - lots of slipping from the Bullieds!  Great days!

I did indeed live on Western Rd!! Please feel free to send me a PM and we can re-connect

Dapol have sent over copies of the decoration samples acknowledging that some changes have already been identified for correction.

BR LC.jpg

Southern 88.jpg

Caen.jpg

BR EC.jpg

Normandy.jpg

Number 91 in L & SWR lined Green is a Dapol Collectors Club exclusive and will only be available to club members directly from Dapol.

club B4.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Is the white paint inaccurate ?  I have no idea, but with black out regulations leading to cars having their front white wings painted white I can quite see mods to shunting engines.

Does anyone know ?

I would have thought that if anything was going to be painted white for night-time safety, it would be the widest parts, the steps. Those would be the first things to hit you........

John

• RMweb Gold

It's plastic. I'm sure it will be sorted on release. However, the sky won't fall if it isn't.

Rob.

( photos as credited)

post-14122-0-91926100-1510171929_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-74517500-1510172108_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It's plastic. I'm sure it will be sorted on release. However, the sky won't fall if it isn't.

Rob.

( photos as credited)

30096's cab in the pic here looks remarkably like a post-BR modification.  Anyone able to say for sure?

Looking at the pics from Dapol I might add a brown one I don't need to the LSWR club one I don't need which is already on order (with a class P from Hattons I don't need......)

Les

Apologies for that but I was rather hoping that someone might point out the total futility of blocking the portholes in - shall we say - a somewhat insubstantial and light-leaky cab ! ................. the 'DUH !' would then be aimed at myself.

( This may not be the playground - but I DO hope we have fun here !!?! )

I checked with Dapol.  They won't be blocked in the production model, Fockers or no.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but the Hattons website lists "Normandy" as LSWR Black (as preserved) (I realise that they are only selling it and it is Dapol who decide what to call it but Dapol simply list it as LSWR B4)

Should this read SR Black with sunshine lettering, which would make it valid for 1940 ish, rather than LSWR black?

And the caveat "As preserved", is this because by then the cab would have been rebuilt, in which case what livery would it have carried with this cab in real life (i.e. not in preservation)? (Does that make sense?)

Thanks.

Edit - I've just found the following on Graham Muz's site:

Normandy in preservation has an open cabs whilst 88 and 90 both had closed cabs. 30096 before preservation in BR days had a closed cab that differs from 88 and 90 as it was modified from an open cab at the start of the warDapol  they have confirmed to me that they intend to produce the correct different cab variants.

(My emphasis in Bold)

So hopefully it was painted into Wartime black before it had he cab rebuilt?

Edited by PrestburyJack