Minehead- Sun, Sea and a Station!

Modelling Martin

Building an SMP Plastic Point Kit Part 2

Continuing on from the previous post lets move on to the next job- the frog.

post-16460-0-92449500-1433260871_thumb.jpg

Here half of the frog is is in position. As the rail is fed into the point at an angle it means it needs filing so that stock runs smoothly either direction through the point. Again i don't have (or know what it is) a Oberg metal cutting file, as recommended in the instructions, so out came the Dremel again which, in my eyes, seemed to do a pretty good job. For this frog i just fed an overly long piece in which i cut down later after the frog was in position to allow for adjustment

post-16460-0-48296100-1433260884_thumb.jpg

Out comes the soldering iron! I don't use flux just clean the rails with a fibreglass pen and apply my cheapo 30W soldering iron for a few seconds to allow for the solder to creep between the rails for a strong join. To be honest i put a little bit too much on in the photo.

post-16460-0-92266200-1433260892_thumb.jpg

Now onto the wing rails. My preferred method is clamping the track with one set of pliers (my vice left an imprint on the track) and with the other pair as close as possible to the clamping set bend the rail to give quite a sharp bend in the track which is what you want.

post-16460-0-38334200-1433260909_thumb.jpg

This is probably the trickiest bit as you have to feed the pre-kinked rail through the chairs, prime time for destroying chairs. To avoid this i have found pressing quite hard on the first chair the rail feeds through prevents them from being destroyed as the plastic is rather soft. The small 6mm bends at the end of the wing rail have to be done after the rail is in position using fine nose pliers and a finger pushing on the track so it doesn't pop out of the chair.

post-16460-0-52010800-1433260924_thumb.jpg

Check rails after that again pressing on the rail as you feed it through the chairs to preserve them afterwards doing the 'flicks' at the end again with fine nosed pliers.

post-16460-0-15318800-1433260954_thumb.jpg

Now the point is looking more complete after the addition of the switch rails. These are tapered at the tie-bar end again using the Dremel to get the smoothest stock to switch rail transition as possible. constant checking and removing material bit by bit is important here so you don't take off too much or leave too much on.

post-16460-0-07972000-1433260935_thumb.jpg

Finally these are then soldered to the (now flat) rivets on the tie-bar again using the soldering iron quickly- excuse the rogue piece of solder!

post-16460-0-04918600-1433260975_thumb.jpg

Heres an overview of the tools i used ( a wooden skewer and super glue was also used too). After this the instructions suggest using the metal strip for electrical connection of the switch points although i think i will do these differently when i come to fix the track down. Any questions about the points or advice is welcomed as always,

Kind regards,

Gary

• Like 5

To be honest i actually think some engines look better travelling tender first  :O . Hopefully i will extend the layout after these boards are done as i really want to model some of the promenade and beach if possible

Kind regards,

Gary

I'm attempting to fit prominade, beach and pier - however I'm working in N so it's a bit easier to fit it all in. I didn't have that much 00 stock but it was heart wrenching to sell two of my locos as they'd been purchased by grandparents who are no longer with us - in the end I decided there was no point in them gathering dust in a box in a cupboard but better trading for other locos that would be seen running on the layout.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get all the points finished and then realised i had not ordered enough...   :banghead: (yes very annoying!). Anyway tired at staring at track i have recently received a new addition to the fleet:

post-16460-0-56471000-1434274702_thumb.jpg

The main reason for the purchase is it will one day represent D7017, one of the WSR home fleet. I liked the look of the hymeks before Minehead was built but it was only now where i could really justify getting one. Interestingly, the zimo sound chip its fitted with uses the recordings taken from D7017 on the WSR (although someone at an exhibition will still say it doesn't sound right!).

post-16460-0-34485500-1434275548_thumb.jpg

This one was taken 'through the signalman's view' although I can't decide whether it looks good or absolutely awful ( i'm just seeing if i can recreate the sense of length of Minehead station in 8 foot). Thanks everyone for their continued support,

Kind regards,

Gary

Edited by Modelling Martin
  • Like 5

Hi Gary,

Just noticed and caught up with your thread and read with interest your #20 post regarding the Hornby Skaledale GWR station building. This model is fantastic and I have used one myself on my current layout for my GWR branch. I kicked myself years ago for not buying one when I saw one in a local model shop and so a certain online auction site saved the day back in January. I highly recommend it if you're still looking for a station building.

Enjoy your modelling and look forward to your postings with updates.

Chris :)

• Like 2

Hi Gary,

Just noticed and caught up with your thread and read with interest your #20 post regarding the Hornby Skaledale GWR station building. This model is fantastic and I have used one myself on my current layout for my GWR branch. I kicked myself years ago for not buying one when I saw one in a local model shop and so a certain online auction site saved the day back in January. I highly recommend it if you're still looking for a station building.

Enjoy your modelling and look forward to your postings with updates.

Chris :)

Hi Chris i have done just that and won one on Ebay a few weeks ago (its lurking in the far background of my picture if you've got a magnifying glass!) i am pretty pleased with it too, seems very Minehead-esque with that canopy and fancy door. I'm sure its prototypical but the brick of the chimney and stone of the wall don't look right to me so i will paint the chimneys a stoney (is that a word?) colour in the future. Paid £20 for it as well which i believe is less than the Gaugemaster kit when you factor in paint and glue etc. 

Thanks for the kind words,

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Chris i have done just that and won one on Ebay a few weeks ago (its lurking in the far background of my picture if you've got a magnifying glass!) i am pretty pleased with it too, seems very Minehead-esque with that canopy and fancy door. I'm sure its prototypical but the brick of the chimney and stone of the wall don't look right to me so i will paint the chimneys a stoney (is that a word?) colour in the future. Paid £20 for it as well which i believe is less than the Gaugemaster kit when you factor in paint and glue etc. 

Thanks for the kind words,

Gary

It's certainly a lot better than the kit version, that I've recently made the mistake of comparing to the real thing! See my blog for the rude comments about it!!!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

With exams and school now over I have had a lot of time to work on the layout in particular the traverser. As you can see below i have now added all the track which has all been bussed underneath although I'm pondering how to connect the power between the baseboard and sliding bit. XLR cables perhaps? Anyway i know this is the boring end of the layout which I am glad is out of the way now allowing me to lay some track more complex and interesting than one long straight on the scenic bit. When laying the Hornby code 100 (i had it left over from another layout) it made me realise how much difference the SMP track makes and all those hours doing points wasn't entirely for nothing! Yes i know the track at the back isn't straight it is for alignment over looks,

post-16460-0-17293100-1436812325_thumb.jpg

post-16460-0-09905200-1436812341_thumb.jpg

Off to Devon in a couple of weeks which should give me a chance to take some pictures of the actual Minehead- prepare for the bonbardment of images on the thread in the upcoming weeks,

Kind regards and hope everyone is having a good summer,

Gary

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The traverser looks impressive and well made.

Little tip.....look in Somerset for Minehead!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.....if you are around Minehead on the 1st of August there is a railway exhibition just around the corner from the station in the 'Minehead eye'.

All the best,

James

• Like 1

Hi,

The traverser looks impressive and well made.

Little tip.....look in Somerset for Minehead!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.....if you are around Minehead on the 1st of August there is a railway exhibition just around the corner from the station in the 'Minehead eye'.

All the best,

James

Hi James,

Thank you very much for the kind comments, the traverser gave me quite a battle to get there let me assure you e.g. the two types of ply in it because the first tops warped. Had a quick look with regards to the exhibition and would be good to tie it in with my visit as I don't really want to travel 1 1/2 hours just for a station (even Minehead station!).

Kind regards,

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you make it to the exhibition be sure to pop over and say hello - I will be there with Bratton Lane, my shunting layout.

And back to the traverser - I like the way you have 'lipped' the static end over the moving part - when I had one on Braybridge the moving part warped slightly over time/conditions and although it wasn't much, it was enough to leave an annoying step in the track.

All the best,

James

Well worth the trip for the exhibition alone, even if I do say so myself  - not that I'm biased in any way of course.............

Like the traverser by the way. Our group is going to build a traverser on our new layout, so fingers crossed!!

exmoordave

If you make it to the exhibition be sure to pop over and say hello - I will be there with Bratton Lane, my shunting layout.

And back to the traverser - I like the way you have 'lipped' the static end over the moving part - when I had one on Braybridge the moving part warped slightly over time/conditions and although it wasn't much, it was enough to leave an annoying step in the track.

All the best,

James

Well worth the trip for the exhibition alone, even if I do say so myself  - not that I'm biased in any way of course.............

Like the traverser by the way. Our group is going to build a traverser on our new layout, so fingers crossed!!

exmoordave

Thanks James and Dave I've previously used cassettes and 'fan of points' fiddle yard systems in the past but found that i was still touching the stock too often. Must admit i wouldn't mind making a sector plate though but it wouldn't be able to rotate much as the layout is against a wall unfortunately,

I look forward to to the exhibition,

Gary

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Back from holiday now after going to the exhibition and taking over 1500 pics of Minehead station (you get some very funny looks off people when you take a picture of a bin!) I have managed to start putting more track down.

post-16460-0-66648700-1439322505_thumb.jpg

Throughout doing this I have been installing magnets in the hope of adopting the Brian Kirby uncoupling method.

post-16460-0-64219600-1439322990_thumb.jpeg

And finally a comparison shot of what the track is like today (both on model and real railway)

post-16460-0-01603900-1439323060_thumb.jpg

post-16460-0-24921300-1439322524_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Gary

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Anyway i think the Hornby box is a copy of the Dunster one which was later moved to Minehead (don't quote me on this, i'm happy to be corrected!). Gary

post-8964-0-54369500-1439363369.jpg

post-8964-0-84545700-1439363387.jpg

Layout's looking great Gary! Nice work on the points BTW.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

Layout's looking great Gary! Nice work on the points BTW.

Regards Shaun

Thanks Shaun interesting pictures there as well I wonder what those window cover things are in the second photo? Perhaps one day we will have to join Dunster and Minehead together haha. One final question (no more i promise) is what signs you have used for your station building e.g. the way out ones with the pointy hand,

Gary

• Like 1

Afternoon Gary,

Sorry to have bombarded you with lots of ratings, but I just discovered your thread from the link from the bottom of your post on Shaun's Dunster thread! I am an old f*rt from Scotland, now living in Essex and I've got a planned layout that is still on the drawing board. I was particularly pleased to follow your tutorial on the SMP point kits as I have acquired several, and haven't yet had the courage to start building them yet. Have you tried to run much stock through them yet, and how about the frog switching and wiring - will you be showing a blow by blow set of images on this aspect? Sorry to hit you with these questions.

Your layout looks like it will be fun to operate, and I've set it as one to follow (I already follow too many to be honest!). My son went to public school in Bideford along the coast in Devon, and my wife and I often took the opportunity to 'make a weekend of it whilst collecting him from, or dropping him at school, a couple of which were spent at Minehead. Naturally, I had to take a ride on the train each time, as the son of an engine driver from the steam era!

Thank you for the information, and I look forward to further developments.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Shaun interesting pictures there as well I wonder what those window cover things are in the second photo? Perhaps one day we will have to join Dunster and Minehead together haha. One final question (no more i promise) is what signs you have used for your station building e.g. the way out ones with the pointy hand,

Gary

The windows might have been protected after closure from vandalism.

I think the station signs are smiths link !

If I ever get around to modeling Minehead, I think I'll opt for a 1930s version of the station. I've yet to find a good picture of the original signal box which stood opposite the location of the moved Dunster box. It would be prudent to assume that the Dunster box wasn't placed where the original stood on account of how difficult it would have been to turn it around.

Regards Shaun.

Afternoon Gary,

Sorry to have bombarded you with lots of ratings, but I just discovered your thread from the link from the bottom of your post on Shaun's Dunster thread! I am an old f*rt from Scotland, now living in Essex and I've got a planned layout that is still on the drawing board. I was particularly pleased to follow your tutorial on the SMP point kits as I have acquired several, and haven't yet had the courage to start building them yet. Have you tried to run much stock through them yet, and how about the frog switching and wiring - will you be showing a blow by blow set of images on this aspect? Sorry to hit you with these questions.

Your layout looks like it will be fun to operate, and I've set it as one to follow (I already follow too many to be honest!). My son went to public school in Bideford along the coast in Devon, and my wife and I often took the opportunity to 'make a weekend of it whilst collecting him from, or dropping him at school, a couple of which were spent at Minehead. Naturally, I had to take a ride on the train each time, as the son of an engine driver from the steam era!

Thank you for the information, and I look forward to further developments.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

No need to apologise about the ratings it is nice to know I'm doing stuff right (unlike some of my previous layout attempts!). I have simulated stock going through them (all finer flanges) and everything goes through fine but i will do more testing once they're actually connected up. The 3 hour round trip to Minehead station was quite far away from our holiday destination but I was kicking myself all the way there because last year I spent two weeks in Watchet- 10 Minutes away and only took 3 pictures! Good luck on your future layout it took me a few attempts to get to a layout that seems to suit me operationally,

Regards,

Gary

The windows might have been protected after closure from vandalism.

I think the station signs are smiths link !

If I ever get around to modeling Minehead, I think I'll opt for a 1930s version of the station. I've yet to find a good picture of the original signal box which stood opposite the location of the moved Dunster box. It would be prudent to assume that the Dunster box wasn't placed where the original stood on account of how difficult it would have been to turn it around.

Regards Shaun.

Thanks for the link Shaun I will certainly look into them as I've never heard of them before.

Oh the joys of modelling preservation with all of my research photos! I presume you have visited http://www.wsr.org.uk/ there are some decent shots of Minehead in the early years (some pre 1971 I think?) which I found interesting albeit still no pictures of that illusive box,

Kind regards,

Gary

• Like 2

Hello,

The excitement continues on this thread with the start of the wiring but as boring as it is to some I actually find it therapeutic turning a load of messy wires into something orderly and neat (unless I'm just weird). I quite like seeing how other people do it so I will include (a brief!) description of what i have done.

post-16460-0-90239300-1440094452_thumb.jpg

Classic DCC Bus with soldered wires to the rail trying not to melt too much of the sleepers especially on SMP which seems to be really soft for some reason. As you can see I went for the uninspiring solution of putting wires onto the stock and switch rails on my points to provide power and not rely on the contact of the blades.

Underneath the boards went from this:

post-16460-0-69764600-1440094585_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-16460-0-33532500-1440094553_thumb.jpg

I have seen people use this copper tape before so bought a 20m roll of ebay to try it out. For the layout the copper strip provides the connections between the bus and the droppers crossing the board width-ways with the thicker bus wiring going the traditional length-ways. I'm mostly pleased with how all the wires are flat which should hopefully mean (fingers crossed) that they won't be damaged.

Finally the bus will be connected to a power outlet on the board via connector blocks:

post-16460-0-90965400-1440094570_thumb.jpg

Not done so much work today as its been GCSE results day but my results are good my mood helped by the wiring coming out better than expected,

Kind regards,

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Gary, have you thought of using wooden sleepers for a point build . You just substitute wooden sleepers for the plassi ones and cut the timber to length as per the template. The adhesive still works a treat but you may want to reinforce with superglue at 'stress points' once the point is proved to be OK. Then, when you come to solder there is less chance of setting the sleepers on fire than melting the plassis ones!

Great work by the way; first time I've dropped in.

Also sounds like congrats in order for those exams.

Ducky from other threads.

• Like 2