Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Hi Guys and Galls, Sadly Jock passed away last night, his  Daughter rang me a short time ago to pass on the news, Joanna will be writing an Obituary for me of one of the others to inset, Rick / Gwiver / Penhale Bay suggested a dedicated thread to Cancer sufferers which will be set up by Joanna or Karen in the next couple of weeks.

I will be back later

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys and Galls, Sadly Jock passed away last nigh, his  Daughter rang me a short time ago to pass on the news, Joanna will be writing an Obituary for me of one of the others to inset, Rick / Gwiver / Penhale Bay suggested a dedicated thread to Cancer sufferers which will be set up by Joanna or Karen in the next couple of weeks.

I will be back later

I think we will all miss Jock.  I have nearly 5000 ratings, and I am sure Jock must have given me the majority of those.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

He will be greatly missed. I hope he gets the chance to build his dream layout in the place he's gone.

Jock almost trademarked his sign-off "Kind Regards".

What a lovely - and very brave - man.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have commented on ERs most of whom are deeply saddened by his passing. It is a measure of the man just how many were touched by Jock's gentlemanly manner. A sad loss.

Don

Sorry fellas, I will have to reply to 45156.

Don't think it would be anything to do with me. The only '0' gauge stuff I have built are for my son, Chris. That is two 1F tanks, one open cab and the other closed cab, a 2F loco and tender and a Y7 0-4-0T.

My other builds were for 4mm scale to either 00 or EM gauge.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had another look and R M Web members have now donated £495 out of £1167.50

WONDERFUL

http://relay.cancerresearchuk.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/General?pg=team&fr_id=1567&team_id=8439

Andy, wonderful is an appropriate word. Thanks for driving this on.

I had a glance through the Asylum and KL2 last night to re-read some of Jock's posts. Even into March this year he was his usual, positive self. An inspiration.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

One star will now shine a little brighter in the heavens.

RIP Jock.

With Jock's very keen interest in astronomy and spaceflight it'd be an appropriate place for him to be.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

With Jock's very keen interest in astronomy and spaceflight it'd be an appropriate place for him to be.

It was Jock's eclectic tastes which endeared him to many of us, in my case music as it transpired that my dad was his primary school music teacher, and helped to start his love of classical music.  I know that he had some exchanges with others about motor cycling - another topic close to his heart. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of images of Monday's Transit of Mercury. Wherever Jock may be, I'm sure he'll have popped down to a suitable location to watch the event - with a double malt, of course!

post-13778-0-44981900-1462983735_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54807600-1462983740_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

I've been very busy- first with the club layout at GBTS, and since then here at my dad's house.  I've been working like there is no tomorrow- doing some model engineering related stuff, and we went and played trains at Richmond Hill Live Steamers with my 3 1/2" gauge engine.  The current big projects are a Colchester Bantam that needs to come up from the basement, and the remaining bits of a fair sized mill (base & stand) that are also in the basement and need to come up.

~2 weeks until I head home, and I feel _so far behind_ what needs to get done here !

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All if you venture into the Early Risers section and look at the post by AndyB earlier today you will see the Eulogy that was written by Andy and read out at Jock's Service today.  

Here is a copy.

I've posted the following on Jock's obituary and cancer ward threads. Here for completeness.   

Dear all,

A sad day today as it's Jock's funeral and I'm sure our thoughts will be with his family. Sometime ago his widow Joanna and daughter Karen asked if it would be possible for someone from RMweb to write a few words for the service as "Jock thought an awful lot of you all". I volunteered, and the words below will form part of today's service. 

"It is a great privilege to have been invited by Joanna to offer a few words about a dear friend, more so as I am writing them on behalf of an online community of railway modellers, known as RMweb, a community numbering nearly 30,000 people; of which Jack was a valued and much admired member.  

To us, Jack was known as “Jock 67B”. This may puzzle you, but is easily explained. When Jack was growing up in the 1950s locomotive depots each had a number. 67B was the number for “Hurlford shed”, adjacent to where Jack and his family lived and where his dad worked as an engine driver. The young “Jack” was thrilled sometimes to get a ride on the footplate, inspiring the passion and nostalgia he had for steam engines from this part of the world. Indeed, the avatar that he used shows him standing (very proudly) on one such locomotive. No surprise then that his ambition was to produce a model of this locomotive shed that held so many cherished memories for him. Sadly this wasn’t to be.

One of the first messages that Jack wrote on RMweb asked for help to find out information about Hurlford shed. Almost as an aside he matter-of-factly stressed the urgency in his request as “I have recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer.” Over the coming, all too brief, years the Jack we came to know was in equal parts braverealistic,dignified, and determined to fight his illness every step of the way; tellingly he never once asked for sympathy. 

Jack was a frequent contributor to one social part of the RMweb forum known as the “Early Risers”, a mammoth conversational thread running to some 5000 pages and 120 thousand comments with contributors from around the globe and from all walks of life. Subjects covered would meander from one topic to another as the conversation charted the highs and lows, the exciting and the mundane, the sublime, the ridiculous and the surreal in each of the contributors’ lives. Within those pages there is wit and whimsy, sadness and joy. Jack could always be relied on to read each and every person’s thoughts, generously offering support, encouragement, advice, or an amusing anecdote; this was all the more remarkable in light of his own life-threatening condition.

Over time we came to learn more about Jack; his career in the automotive trade, his love of motorbikes and of Cornwall, and, most important to him, his family. Until recently he even had the patience to trawl through all the daily comments, offering a “digest of the day” to help everyone keep up with the flow of this ongoing digital conversation, responding to each contributor, giving solace, gentle advice, enquiring about a poorly relative or favourite pet, showing concern for anyone who had not posted a comment recently. It is no great surprise that Jack became a much loved, admired and respected mainstay of our digital lives. His genuine and caring nature reached around the planet and generated friendships in far-flung places, Australia, Canada, New York, Germany, the Isle of Mann, Scotland and France, to name but a few.

Although similar in age to many of us, it doesn’t over state Jack’s contribution to describe him as something of a father figure, showing us the best that a person can be. By example his genuine and caring personality led us to be kinder and more considerate people. His contributions, both as a modeller and as a man are, and will be, missed very much indeed.  

It was through this ongoing conversation we came to know a little of you, his family, and how much he loved and cherished each of you. He was enormously proud of you all, taking delight in your many achievements, ever concerned for your welfare, ready to help wherever and whenever he was needed. We can only guess at the hole that Jack’s passing has left in your lives.

Sadly the condition that claimed Jack continues to blight the lives of many within our digital community. It is, perhaps, fitting that the medium that brought Jack into our lives also provides us with a way of remembering and honouring our friend. With Joanna’s consent we are pleased to be opening a dedicated digital drop-in for those facing their own life-threatening illnesses – “Jock 67B’s Cancer Ward”.

Finally, it was once said that a person never truly leaves us whilst the ripples from their time with us continue to spread. In providing a place for those in need to meet and share their experiences, their fears and their hopes Jack’s presence will not just be remembered, but will continue to grow and to enrich our lives in years to come.  

Rest peacefully, Jack.

Your many friends at RMweb"

In acknowledging receipt, Karen asked me to pass on the family's thanks for our support and continuing donations to Relay for Life in remembrance of Jack.  

"Hi Andy

This is beautiful! Me and mum were in tears reading it. Mum has asked if you 
would kindly pass on our thanks to all the members for there support and 
generous donations for Jack's charity. Thank you Andy
Kind regards, Karen."

It was a lovely Service with no Hymns, No Prayers, just Joy as Jock requested.

His car was piped into the Crematorium Driveway by a loan Piper playing the Flower of Scotland, really moving, all the Boys, (his Son and Grandchildren wore Tartan Ties instead of Black.

post-9335-0-74637300-1464985622_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87650300-1464985637_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-29743200-1464985658_thumb.jpg

• Like 10