Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, the LNER hopper is now available RTR (Hornby) but this is a Parkside one. With these and the BR variants, I think I am up to fifteen now, and they take a fair time to build, paint and weather. I have about three more in supplies to build, with more to follow (including a Dave Bradwell etched chassis for one) and an etched brass 13 ton hopper to do too. Oh, and four Slaters wooden bodied 20 ton hoppers. The plan is to have a decent rake for Bacup's replacement.

It would be great if one of the RTR manufacturers would tackle a few variants of the humble five plank as they were as common as muck in the 50's and early 60's, but I guess they are not glamorous. These two are both Parkside; the LMS built one using a different Parkside under frame kit to that provided.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I still have a fair number of Park side kits to build from my last "indoctrination".

There'll need to be many more, EM'd and with 3-links....

Great thing is, at the price they cost, experimenting with weathering is a no-brainer.

Jeff

• Like 2

Part two in the hugely ignored 'what modelling I did at Christmas' theme.

Not completely ignored Jason, I'm just not doing anything.

Unfortunately with Tennis elbow in both arms I have enough trouble controlling me tea & biccies let alone a scalpel or a bottle of Mek :mosking: . Have arranged for injections in the New Year so hopefully will get back to it later without risk of mishaps to me or the models, I still enjoy seeing what others like your good self are up to though.

All the best

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Another day, another dollar. Today has seen a couple of mineral wagons weathered and a bit of additional rust added to the five plank.

The minerals are a welded and a slope sided 16 tonnes, both Parkside and neither deviating from the kits other than brass rod added between the brakes on the welded one (far more robust than trying to stick the crappy bit of supplied plastic in but it does mean drilling through the centres of the levers, vees and linkages - not easy). On both, the mounded on safety loops have been removed and replaced with staples. I do the above on all wagons now, even though it's not hugely noticeable. Suitable filthy examples of both were found on Paul Bartlett's site and copied as well as I could using Life Colour acrylics; I prefer enamels but with Sara and Sofia in the house, I had to keep the smell down.

post-9707-0-89882400-1483044194_thumb.jpg

Five plank with a bit of additional weathering but hopefully still subtle and looking in good shape

post-9707-0-51093700-1483044279_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist one of the 88DS with a mineral wagon

post-9707-0-90710700-1483044399_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just reviewed the above and noticed that the 16 tonnes looks twisted. It is no longer twisted.

D'oh - what happened there?

Superb weathering and yes, it did look twisted - you must have been disturbed!

Edited by PeterBB

Jeff it looks like I'm not the only one to post in the wrong thread,http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge-railway-related-topics-only/page-382&do=findComment&comment=2550126  I recon as things have now moved on, you could almost just have one Lounge again as it was in the Good Old Days.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff it looks like I'm not the only one to post in the wrong thread,http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge-railway-related-topics-only/page-382&do=findComment&comment=2550126  I recon as things have now moved on, you could almost just have one Lounge again as it was in the Good Old Days.

Agreed, Andy.

From now on, you can post ANY topic in the Asylum.

I'll CLOSE THE LOUNGE thread.

I've chosen to keep the Asylum thread active as it's currently the busier, and has Jason's ongoing modelling in here.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Needless to say, Larry (Coachmann) gor the final, amusing comment in the Lounge before Andy bolted the door.

Lounge now locked.

So let's have your pearls of wisdom in here. 

Larry, any advice?  :O  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 1

Good move Jeff, now lets just hope that in the last 24 Hours of 2016 we lose NO MORE celebrities, OR ANYONE ELSE close to any of us.

Great wreathing by JT and hopefully more of the same over thext few Months.

I have a nice collection of O Gauge Wagon kits to build, including a couple of 16T Minerals and a Grampus, both of which I've built when doing ''O'' before, then they'll need some Weathering.

• Like 1

I followed Andy to the Lounge a few days ago, now I'm following him here and I'm all confused  :scratchhead:

Have you relented on discussing railway topics here Jeff as your opening post says it's a no no :scared:

edited: how did I miss what you wrote Jeff:  From now on, you can post ANY topic in the Asylum.

I'll blame it on failing eyesight and too much christmas spirit :senile:

Edited by Donington Road

I followed Andy to the Lounge a few days ago, now I'm following him here and I'm all confused  :scratchhead:

Have you relented on discussing railway topics here Jeff as your opening post says it's a no no :scared:

edited: how did I miss what you wrote Jeff:  From now on, you can post ANY topic in the Asylum.

I'll blame it on failing eyesight :senile:

DON'T follow me Mick, I'm lost, these darned SAT NAV's hahha

I think you'll find Jeff will amend that now, as Jason has been posting Wagons and his Weathering in here.

So I'm invited to the Bachmann launch on the 9th Jan at Coventry, they say that any announcement of New Product will also be for imminent delivery, that should be interesting. Yes I know there is already a dedicated thread on this subject, but I thought it might stimulate some discussion between Lunesters old and new.

I don't have anything in mind, although with the up surge of O Gauge at affordable prices from Dapol, Heljan and Minerva, might they get back into O with some realistically priced models? They did the Bachmann Brassworks Range a few years ago, and I had an 03 Shunter and the 4F that was a cracking model, but now manufacturing seems to be going down the Plastic / Resin road will they come back in? They already do a nice but small range of O Gauge buildings up-scaled from the OO Range, things like a Station and Signal Box etc. so there is a president for it.

DON'T follow me Mick, I'm lost, these darned SAT NAV's hahha

I think you'll find Jeff will amend that now, as Jason has been posting Wagons and his Weathering in here.

Of course he will :onthequiet:

He cannot afford to upset Jason with all that stock that needs re-guaging, nudge, nudge :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The final part to my modelling at Xmas posts as I am off to Spain tomorrow.

First we have an LMS van (Ratio kit) and another five plank (Parkside)

post-9707-0-67551900-1483136589_thumb.jpg

And lastly, the 88DS although it may get a bit more on the frames. This is the Judith Edge kit and is powered using a High Level Quad Driver gearbox and Mashima motor, with a Dcc Concepts Zen chip tucked in the bonnet.

post-9707-0-73669700-1483137298_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Heard on the radio yesterday that scientists are searching for another planet in the outer reaches of our solar system.

All eyes are pointed in the direction of Orion. Well I thought it was exciting.

The imminent Bachmann release is exciting too, I just hope it's not another must have loco. Much was spent over the Xmas on locos!

My guess is the Thompson coaches (also a must have).

I'm also interested to see if a change of government over here will have positive effects. Democracies only work well if they can avoid becoming stagnated. They need a bit of the old swings and roundabouts routine to stir things up and get things moving.

Here at the Sasquatch ranch we're going to be ploughing ahead with a few projects including all the layouts and stock building. That's my new years resolution. Anyone else got some planned.

Shaun.

• Like 3

I hope this isn't getting repetitive but;

Allegheny1600, on 31 Dec 2015 - 21:03, said:snapback.png

Get some more track laid on "Irgendwo",
Sort out my big shed and complete track laying on my test track,
Lay a garden path,
Build some more P4 track and stock and maybe start a P4 'plank'.
Build my mates tram layout,
Sell a load more stuff I don't need,
Earn a living!
Spend less time online (started!)

Also, get "Watlington" up and running!

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 2

No!

Not at all! The biggest job for 2016 was building the cat pen, all 36' x 9' of it and the associated 'gangway' or 'tunnel' if you like! Compared to some of Jeff's work, this is pretty tame!

28853788534_083bd5cd24_c.jpg

28853806144_1c1fe393ff_c.jpg

Clearly, these photos show it close to completion and how far away it is from the original pen!

Unfortunately my left elbow got pulled out of joint and my hips started cracking up. That and a heavy dose of hay fever left me feeling pretty buggered through the summer.

At least, in my post above, the blue shows some progress!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 3

No!

Not at all! The biggest job for 2016 was building the cat pen, all 36' x 9' of it and the associated 'gangway' or 'tunnel' if you like! Compared to some of Jeff's work, this is pretty tame!

Clearly, these photos show it close to completion and how far away it is from the original pen!

Unfortunately my left elbow got pulled out of joint and my hips started cracking up. That and a heavy dose of hay fever left me feeling pretty buggered through the summer.

Cheers,

John.

Blimey!

How big is your cat?

• RMweb Premium

Blimey!

How big is your cat?

EXCELLENT - that is a really funny comment!

Well worth multiple "funnies", if I could award them....

So - we await John's reply. How many cat's DO you keep in there, John?

Jeff

• Like 2

No!

Cheers,

John.

post-15323-0-08584900-1483199856_thumb.png

• Like 1