Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

In case anyone hasn't heard the old "joke":

What's the similarity between the starship Enterprise and a piece of toilet paper?

Answer - they both go round Uranus wiping out the Klingons...

Jeff

From the "Italian railways" topic.

Given that Italy is one of the worlds more photogenic countries, a country of great variety it is a bit surprising it has never seemed to capture the imagination of UK rail enthusiasts. The food is fabulous, the country is full of historical interest and the people tend to be good fun, what's not to like? Italy has some very impressive and stylish trains. I know many hated the isabella livery but I even love designs like the E636 & E428 in isabella. Very modellable too, there is no shortage of superb Italian models and prices are often not far removed from OO rtr.

Agreed 100%

But, as Jordan pointed out in the "Jokes" section, most UK enthusiasts just don't get it!

UK locos have much shorter distances to travel, pulling much shorter trains  :rolleyes: and will be missing certain items such as dynamic brakes equipment.

I do apologise; I forgot that most UK modellers have absolutely zero interest in any railways beyond these shores, as manifested at a lot of exhibitions, where they bypass 'Foreign' layouts - regardless of the quality of modelling - as they "can't relate to it"; so this photo would not be appreciated in the general area of this Forum...

It actually makes me quite sad, I get this at my local club too - folk neither like nor want to be interested in anything outside their own little niche.
Makes me just want to pack up and leave!

Sorry for lowering the tone but I had to get this off my chest.
I may be some time!
Bye.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

John, I think a lot of THINKING modellers have a wide spectrum of train interests, even if they don't model non-UK.

I suspect it's just a question of priorities. Me, for example, - the GWR or Southern are as foreign as US or German H0. All my resources go into Midland/S&C, and it's natural that the VAST majority of layouts on here will be British-based.

What I do think is wrong is when Brits decry foreign layouts. After all, it's only VERY recently that UK RTR has managed to approach the standard the US, Japanese and European modellers have been enjoying with their models for years. Probably the British psyche? Naturally insular and disparaging!

Doesn't only apply to model railways. I always remember my grandad - and many others - describing Japanese cars of the 70's as "Jap crap". If he was alive today, maybe - just maybe - he'd eat his words.

As the UK heads towards the Third World (now there's a contentious statement, but DON'T get me started on Education) it'll only get worse.

Jeff

• Like 1

John, I think a lot of THINKING modellers have a wide spectrum of train interests, even if they don't model non-UK.

I suspect it's just a question of priorities. Me, for example, - the GWR or Southern are as foreign as US or German H0. All my resources go into Midland/S&C, and it's natural that the VAST majority of layouts on here will be British-based.

What I do think is wrong is when Brits decry foreign layouts. After all, it's only VERY recently that UK RTR has managed to approach the standard the US, Japanese and European modellers have been enjoying with their models for years. Probably the British psyche? Naturally insular and disparaging!

Doesn't only apply to model railways. I always remember my grandad - and many others - describing Japanese cars of the 70's as "Jap crap". If he was alive today, maybe - just maybe - he'd eat his words.

As the UK heads towards the Third World (now there's a contentious statement, but DON'T get me started on Education) it'll only get worse.

Jeff

I have always taken an interest in foreign modelling in general and at exhibitions.  I think it stems from my like of correct scale track and stock in most cases.  The quality of models in the past has always been better than UK but the price has probably been a large factor in the dis-interest of UK modellers.  Not always, but I do find at times the foreign based layout is not done as good scenic wise as the UK counterpart.  Perhaps this is down to working from photographs rather than visiting the real thing.

Those Japanese cars were as your grandad described, but certainly not today.  I remember back in the 70's Japanese coming over here and we 'naively' showed them how we did things, back they went and then produced superior products. We did not learn very fast that our markets were being threatened and gladly showed the Chinese our way in the 80's with the consequence of them going off and copying everything to such a good standard and cheap price that we can no longer compete.  The American's arrived in the 90's, took one look, bought up the companies they were interested in for patent rights and such, then promptly closed them down and shifted the production overseas.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From the "Italian railways" topic.

Agreed 100%

But, as Jordan pointed out in the "Jokes" section, most UK enthusiasts just don't get it!

It actually makes me quite sad, I get this at my local club too - folk neither like nor want to be interested in anything outside their own little niche.
Makes me just want to pack up and leave!

Sorry for lowering the tone but I had to get this off my chest.
I may be some time!
Bye.

It's just the same here John. It's hard to attract attention at the annual show. Either it's people who have no interest in trains or youngsters who've grown up watching Thomas The Tank Engine who linger. I've got used to guys calling my layouts "European". They tell their kids (in a knowledgeable tone) this is European and they walk off!

Having been over here 10 years I've grown to like US trains but you have to go a long way to see any!

As for Italian railways I think you need to learn Italian to get anywhere, which is hard as they all talk with their hands because they can't stand each others breath :jester:

Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Hi  Lunesters

I went to linz about 9 years ago with some friends and we spent 5 days riding on the db network and I must say I loved every minute of it. I was that impressed I bought some 218s and a Taurus loco but never had the chance to run them because we (Heywood Model railway club ) don't have a German layout so they went in the display cabinet at home.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It is no good complaining people aren't interested in foreign prototype models they are free to follow what interest them. A lot of continental stuff seems to be bought in the UK I assume the purchasers are not interested in exhibitions. However Pempoul seemed to be well received although I confess it does not draw me as much as Ditchling Green. and some of Brian's Proto 87 stuff is fascinating so was Maurice's embro Dutch layout at the Swag meet.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Interests are often fired off familiarity, which will be why non-UK layouts get less interest in the UK. Even getting a little bit of sight of another country's railways may be enough to spark an interest, for someone who is interested in railways in general, and I find at exhibitions a good layout will generally attract attention no matter what (shame on me for forgetting it but what was that large Dutch(?) one at Warley?) The familiarity doesn't have to be direct either, if there's a chain in place between something you know and something else, e.g. that's why I'm interested in steam despite being born after 1968. And of course there's always the chance that something completely different may spark an interest.

So I don't think that it's fair to criticise people for being less interested in other railways, although I do get annoyed by (the vast majority it seems) of people who appear to have no interest in the world right around them.

I see this morning another moon man, Gene Cernan, has passed away.

https://www.theguardian.com/…/eugene-cernan-last-man-to-wal…

There were only ever 12 men who walked on the moon - Cernan was the last to leave, on December 14, 1972 - and their ranks are thinning faster each passing year.

One day soon, there will be no living Apollo astronauts... just history books.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Scott, it's amazing that we are approaching 45 years since Cernan last stood on the moon.

Two of my heroes were Gene Cernan and John Young. Both took part in the Apollo 10 dress-rehearsal mission that flew to within 10 miles of the lunar surface in 1969. I was glued to every TV transmission in those days and felt so sorry that they were so close but yet so far.

Young went on to command Apollo 16 (and fly the first shuttle launch) and Cernan did Apollo 17.

Incredibly brave men. And only 6 moon-walkers left.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

If you haven't read it, I can recommend Moondust:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/apr/24/biography.features

The best book I have read about the moon men, not just the missions.

I also remember watching Young and Crippen manning the first shuttle launch.

In all the books I have read about Apollo astronauts, Young comes across as, well, a nutter... talking to the wall behind the interviewer, and just being obtuse.  

Alan Bean, on the other hand, would be the remaining moon man I'd like to meet - he sounds like your eccentric uncle.

http://www.alanbean.com/

• RMweb Gold

One of the first biographies that I read as a boy was of John H Glenn, one of the Mercury Seven and the first American to orbit the earth. He passed away in December. As a youngster I was very much inspired by the short comment on the Glenn family motto. From the Scottish clan beginning it had been Alta Pete (aim high) but some hundred years or so before John H came along some unknown ancestor in the US added ad Astra (to the stars). OK, so orbiting the earth may not quite be to the stars, but it's closer than most people get... and the coincidence had me hooked!

I met him once, quite by accident, when I was a tourist in the US Senate in 1987. He shook my hand and said he was pleased to meet me and would he have my vote (looking at the history books now he must have been referring to presidential primaries as he'd been reelected to the Senate the year before and couldn't possibly think I was from Ohio). When I said I was just visiting from the UK he said "OK, but I'm still pleased to meet you". I was more than a little star struck and didn't have an answer before he moved on to someone more likely to be able to vote!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not so much railway related as trade and culture ... what about this rail journey?  Copied from a BT internet news item

"The first freight train service from China to the UK arrived on Wednesday.

Some 34 containers packed with clothes, bags and millions of pairs of socks completed the 7,456-mile journey to east London.

The 18-day trip saw the boxes transported from the city of Yiwu in eastern China to a rail freight terminal in Barking.

A fanfare of costumed dancers, drummers and choreographers posing as Chinese dragons welcomed the inaugural service alongside members of the Chinese embassy and trade representatives.

The freight passed through Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, Belgium and France before entering the UK via the Channel Tunnel".

If its cheaper than air transport will our locomotives etc. become cheaper?

Peter

Edit just spelling

Edited by PeterBB

Not so much railway related as trade and culture ... what about this rail journey?  Copied from a BT internet news item

"The first freight train service from China to the UK arrived on Wednesday.

Some 34 containers packed with clothes, bags and millions of pairs of socks completed the 7,456-mile journey to east London.

The 18-day trip saw the boxes transported from the city of Yiwu in eastern China to a rail freight terminal in Barking.

A fanfare of costumed dancers, drummers and choreographers posing as Chinese dragons welcomed the inaugural service alongside members of the Chinese embassy and trade representatives.

The freight passed through Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, Belgium and France before entering the UK via the Channel Tunnel".

If its cheaper than air transport will our locomotives etc. become cheaper?

Peter

Edit just spelling

Only if you wear all the socks :jester:

• RMweb Premium

If you haven't read it, I can recommend Moondust:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/apr/24/biography.features

The best book I have read about the moon men, not just the missions.

I also remember watching Young and Crippen manning the first shuttle launch.

In all the books I have read about Apollo astronauts, Young comes across as, well, a nutter... talking to the wall behind the interviewer, and just being obtuse.  

Alan Bean, on the other hand, would be the remaining moon man I'd like to meet - he sounds like your eccentric uncle.

http://www.alanbean.com/

Scott, I took up your recommendation and downloaded "Moondust" onto my Kindle.

Just reading the chapter about Neil Armstrong. An enjoyable book, thanks for pointing it out.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

20th January, 2017

attachicon.gifplanet-of-the-apes-ending.jpg

What's this, Scott? The new garden "feature" in your billionaire's hideaway on the Perth coast?

And Andy - if you look closely, you'll see that it's the lovely Julia leading the horse in Scott's pic.....

Jeff

• Like 1