Clerestory Coaches, Knowledge needed! - And other GWR ponderings.

• RMweb Gold

I still have some old GW stock as well as my S&D from the '60s. There is a 6'4" set of bogies under one of my hacked Triangs. I am fairly sure they were K's. At the time they did the bogie brake van in the middle of the picture and I think that they also did white metal bogies. They certainly did a 6 wheeled clerestory which was all white metal and horrendously heavy.

Sorry about the thick paint and hand lettering - airbrushes weren't in common use and transfers were quite expensive.

post-14351-0-28946300-1473365234_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

Thanks.

However, I have what I suspect is a rather naïve question: "SRMW"?

Siebel Relationship Management Warehouse

South River Model Works

subsidieregeling Roetfilters Mobiele Werktuigen

I note that Chris Ward's business, now under new ownership, will custom print if the files are provided.  Is this a potentially more cost effective route than Shapeways, which appears to be a ruinously expensive monopoly, for small runs where, really, just a few blokes on RMWeb would like a so and so and one of them is a design whiz?

Thanks for the info about printing. In my case SRMW stands for "Stafford Road Model Works" I Chose the name because the first print I was working on was a GWR 517 which were built at the Great Western's Stafford Road Works in Wolverhampton and I couldn't think of anything else.

I'll try to remember to use a more unambiguous description in the future.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the info about printing. In my case SRMW stands for "Stafford Road Model Works" I Chose the name because the first print I was working on was a GWR 517 which were built at the Great Western's Stafford Road Works in Wolverhampton and I couldn't think of anything else.

I'll try to remember to use a more unambiguous description in the future.

Regards

Steve

Never apologise for another's ignorance.

I will know where to go now!

Keep looking on eBay. I bought these 9 Dean bogies for £11.04

p.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Darn, no 'envy' button

• RMweb Gold

This chappie ?

DSC_0014_zpsmr8dwxvj.jpg

Tony

Yes that's the one - I got shot of it when I sold off a lot of my layout and a fair amount of my rolling stock back in the 1970s, when I didn't have room for a layout and needed the money - our central heating was a parafin stove in the living room - well it was central to the house. I seem to remember doing the deal in a multi-storey car park in Lewisham. I would probably have been arrested by a police SWAT team if I had tried that recently.

Advertised as 9, 11 turned up. I'll have to make a Dean artic clerestory to use up the odd one :no: .

Mike Wiltshire

If your layout is only viewed from one side, cut it in half and join each side to half an original BR Mk1 bogie :jester:.

That's got me thinking now, as my layouts are only viewed from one side. I could pinch one side off both of my EM gauge modern Hornby clerestories, and save the soul destroying wait for something to turn up on eBay!

Worsley Works have just announced an E39 Falmouth Coupe brake tricomp. This coach can use the standard Hornby Long Clerestory underframe. Betterbitz produced an etch for this some time ago. The Worsley one is an improvement as it is a full body with bespoke roof with rainstrips etched in. It can also be produced a slip coach as some were so converted.

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_GWR.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

I'm part way there with my bogie quest. Just won a pair of Hornby Dean bogies on eBay, attached to a clerestory that's no use to me as it is, as it's in a modern livery, but could be useful for heavy vandalising. £6.50 (plus postage) isn't much more than a pair of new bogies on their own, and a lot cheaper than any of the alternatives.

What's the best adhesive for sticking the bogies back together, as I need to cut a bit out of the middle, and stick the sides back together the other way round. Then I need to widen them to broad gauge!

• Like 1

Got enough now. There were nine assorted Hornby bogies on eBay that didn't specify what they were, and had been chopped about. I spotted some of them were Deans, and won them too. Not bad for my first attempts to get hold of some. Now I need to start getting ready to chop up my Tri-ang clerestories, as I need some broad gauge stock for track testing very soon.

I probably produced the largest variety of bogie kits, so it is a shame they are gradually becoming unobtainable. I kept a few castings as mementos of the Larriparts range dating from the early 1980's.....

Top to bottom : Dean 6' 4", Fishbelly 9' and Collett 7' plate

post-6680-0-75178400-1473708728.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I still have some old GW stock as well as my S&D from the '60s. There is a 6'4" set of bogies under one of my hacked Triangs. I am fairly sure they were K's. At the time they did the bogie brake van in the middle of the picture and I think that they also did white metal bogies. They certainly did a 6 wheeled clerestory which was all white metal and horrendously heavy.

Sorry about the thick paint and hand lettering - airbrushes weren't in common use and transfers were quite expensive.

I like these.  I have some similar examples. 

I am currently hacking up Triang clerestories and will post results once I have made some progress. 

GW C10 Clerestory Thirds appear to have Dean 8'6" bogies.  On reflection, I am rather persuaded by the Stafford Road 3D printed option; it even comes with a bit to plug into the body. 

The other 3 coaches, GW D7, D8 and E37 appear to have been fitted with Dean 6'4" bogies.  I don't know of any current source for these.

If any one else does, please let me know!    

Edited by Edwardian

The other 3 coaches, GW D7, D8 and D37 appear to have been fitted with Dean 6'4" bogies.  I don't know of any current source for these.

The Broad Gauge Society do 6'4" in broad and narrow gauges, but they're not cheap. I've just bought some Hornby Dean bogies to chop up to turn into 6'4", I hope. I think it will be easier than doing it to the whitemetal or etched ones I have, especially as I'm also converting them to broad gauge.

My plan is to turn two Tri-ang brake coaches into a C3b 8 compartment 3rd, and make an E26 6 compartment brake from one 2nd and parts left over from one of the brakes. Both will be narrow bodied broad gauge convertibles.

The Broad Gauge Society do 6'4" in broad and narrow gauges, but they're not cheap. I've just bought some Hornby Dean bogies to chop up to turn into 6'4", I hope. I think it will be easier than doing it to the whitemetal or etched ones I have, especially as I'm also converting them to broad gauge.

My plan is to turn two Tri-ang brake coaches into a C3b 8 compartment 3rd, and make an E26 6 compartment brake from one 2nd and parts left over from one of the brakes. Both will be narrow bodied broad gauge convertibles.

Thanks, John.  As you say, expensive; £19 a pair to practice origami in brass is of limited appeal.

I'd like to see those coaches when you have tackled them!  

I'd like to see those coaches when you have tackled them!  

So would I! Today's job is to sort stuff out, so I can see the wood for the trees, or rather the work in progress from the pile of junk and paperwork! I need some stock for testing "Small, Broad and Totally Pointless" as I finish off the track, so have to get on with building some. Bogie coaches are very useful for high speed test runs, but wagons are quicker to build, so I'm not sure when they will be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

However, I have what I suspect is a rather naïve question: "SRMW"?

Siebel Relationship Management Warehouse

South River Model Works

subsidieregeling Roetfilters Mobiele Werktuigen

I note that Chris Ward's business, now under new ownership, will custom print if the files are provided.  Is this a potentially more cost effective route than Shapeways, which appears to be a ruinously expensive monopoly, for small runs where, really, just a few blokes on RMWeb would like a so and so and one of them is a design whiz?

After some problems with uploading to Shapeways I have now finished my 6'4" bgies and taken delivery of the first prints. I try to paint assemble them over the week end and check their dimensions. If OK I'll release them on Shapeways through my Stafford Road Model Works (SRMW) shop.

As there is an offer on prototyping this weekend I may try to run up some 10' versions if my wife doesn't have too many jobs for me!

• Like 2

I like these.  I have some similar examples. 

I am currently hacking up Triang clerestories and will post results once I have made some progress. 

GW C10 Clerestory Thirds appear to have Dean 8'6" bogies.  On reflection, I am rather persuaded by the Stafford Road 3D printed option; it even comes with a bit to plug into the body. 

The other 3 coaches, GW D7, D8 and E37 appear to have been fitted with Dean 6'4" bogies.  I don't know of any current source for these.

I think that D7, & D8 van third clerestories had Dean 8'6" bogies.  Have a look here http://penrhos.me.uk/Clerestories.shtml#D7

PS It is my website about my research and off the top of my head I can't remember where I got the information.  But looking at the photos of D8 & D9 I'm certain that D8 has 8'6 and D9 has 6'4.  The photo of D7 is not so clear and hardly worth putting on the site, but it's the best I've found so far.

Edited by Penrhos1920
PS added
  • Like 1

I think that D7, & D8 van third clerestories had Dean 8'6" bogies.  Have a look here http://penrhos.me.uk/Clerestories.shtml#D7

PS It is my website about my research and off the top of my head I can't remember where I got the information.  But looking at the photos of D8 & D9 I'm certain that D8 has 8'6 and D9 has 6'4.  The photo of D7 is not so clear and hardly worth putting on the site, but it's the best I've found so far.

That is extremely helpful, thank you.  I only had the drawings in Russell to go on, and these show both diagrams with 6'4"s.

I note that Stafford Road Models do a 3D Print plug in 8'6" with footboards, which would be ideal, while I think a C10 would need a 7', which they also produce.  Over £13 per coach does dramatically push up the cost of the project, but then, as someone noted, overall the price per coach is reasonable given the cheapness of the donor coaches. 

PS: Excellent website BTW

Edited by Edwardian

After some problems with uploading to Shapeways I have now finished my 6'4" bgies and taken delivery of the first prints. I try to paint assemble them over the week end and check their dimensions. If OK I'll release them on Shapeways through my Stafford Road Model Works (SRMW) shop.

As there is an offer on prototyping this weekend I may try to run up some 10' versions if my wife doesn't have too many jobs for me!

Unfortunately the release of the 6'4" bogies has been delayed my test prints just didn't look right as the springs were too short. I have now fixed his (fingers crossed) and am awaiting delivery of the test prints along with the GWR 10' bogie.

However, before putting it up for sale I think it only fair that I should assemble one of each and make sure the wheels, bearings and couplings fit etc.

I have produced two versions, one with running boards and one without

Hope this helps and sorry for the delay

• Like 3