DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

You have other things that happen. Electrical faints in blanking plugs might not show themselves until several hours later.

Too much grease will not show up right away but can harden to make the model lumpy later.

Oil can evaporate.

You have other things that happen. Electrical faints in blanking plugs might not show themselves until several hours later.

Too much grease will not show up right away but can harden to make the model lumpy later.

Oil can evaporate.

ANY inspection and testing regime doesn't catch all faults.  It does, however, get a good proportion of them. 

On the other hand a regime of NO inspection and testing weeds out no faults......

Les

ANY inspection and testing regime doesn't catch all faults.  It does, however, get a good proportion of them. 

On the other hand a regime of NO inspection and testing weeds out no faults......

Les

Just look at Dapol's OO class 73 for proof of that last statement!

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any experience of dropping out the wheelset? It's nothing serious, but I'd like to experiment with e-clips on the front & trailing axles.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian.

There is no such thing as dropping out a wheel set with these models I'm afraid. It is more like remove the split chassis block from the surrounding plastic. If you get that far then you can either decide to add your "clips" with the wheels in situ on the chassis or unplug each metal wheel part from the centre nylon gear and axle.

• RMweb Gold

There is no such thing as dropping out a wheel set with these models I'm afraid. It is more like remove the split chassis block from the surrounding plastic. If you get that far then you can either decide to add your "clips" with the wheels in situ on the chassis or unplug each metal wheel part from the centre nylon gear and axle.

It would appear then, that I need to make a special tool, which will allow me to install a clip, in behind the wheel. Hmmm.  Although I'm happy with the model overall, I'd like to cut down on the sideplay. Hopefully, by inserting clips on the leading & trailing sets, and leaving the centre drivers 'as is', It will settle down quite nicely.

Ian.

It would appear then, that I need to make a special tool, which will allow me to install a clip, in behind the wheel. Hmmm.  Although I'm happy with the model overall, I'd like to cut down on the sideplay. Hopefully, by inserting clips on the leading & trailing sets, and leaving the centre drivers 'as is', It will settle down quite nicely.

Ian.

I personally have not found side play to cause annoying wonky running on my pair. If anything I find these chassis are few too stiff. The side rods, being one piece means that the side play is not really exploited even on curves, which can help to derail it going forwards at some transition points on super elevated track work.

Don,t use too much oil as that will eventually get into the bearing pickups, making running a disaster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In April, I decided to splurge and buy the yellow austerity. An order was duly placed and the tanky arrived. However when I opened it, the front handrail was missing, so I sent it back for a replacement.

post-7653-0-43552800-1493718845_thumb.jpg

Hattons dispatched another yellow austerity. I was a little disappointed that the same thing had happened again.

post-7653-0-24536900-1493719032_thumb.jpg

It would appear that the packing at the front can knock it off in transit:

post-7653-0-97148100-1493718949_thumb.jpg

At least this time, the handrail was in the box.

post-7653-0-52732500-1493718982_thumb.jpg

Because it's a minor fix and not too difficult to do, I'll just get on and fix it myself rather than playing parcel ping-pong, but I thought it was worth raising in case the packaging needs to be adjusted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A question for Dave, as the OO gauge versions are now out, is there an update on the timescales for the O gauge version?  I see Hattons are still listing it as being available for pre-order so im assuming its not been shelved.  I may have missed something on a post, and apologies if I have, just wondered if there was an update at all...

Richie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick press release for today.......

With the success of the OO gauge J94 model released late in 2016, it is time to announce more liveries on this model over the next 12 months.

These models are available to order from your stockist over the coming week or so, but will be a staggered delivery over the next year. Artwork is currently being finalised and i will show it here and on other forums when i am totally happy with it.

Due to market forces, including shipping, Chinese price rises over the last few years for labour and raw product, these models now have an RRP of £104.95 each.

DJMOOJ94-006  M.S.C. #85 Grey with black outlining and white lining
DJMOOJ94-007  NCB Kent #12 Lined Black Livery
DJMOOJ94-008  NCB #69 No' 2 Area Durham,  Black with red lining
DJMOOJ94-009  NCB 'ANTWERP' Maroon with white buffers
DJMOOJ94-010  68049 BR Black late logo , Tall bunker
  • Like 7

Ooh! DJMOOJ94-008  NCB #69 sounds interesting from my perspective. Will it be modelled with it's distinctive kist on the LH running plate and it's non standard 12 spoke wheels?

Will the chimney be the post May 1964 gas producer type or pre December 63 standard?

Quastions? questions....   :smile_mini: 

P

Ooh! DJMOOJ94-008  NCB #69 sounds interesting from my perspective. Will it be modelled with it's distinctive kist on the LH running plate and it's non standard 12 spoke wheels?

Will the chimney be the post May 1964 gas producer type or pre December 63 standard?

Quastions? questions....   :smile_mini: 

P

Now you see, if I did all those mods, someone on here would be along to complain that they had nothing to Model! ;-)

Now you see, if I did all those mods, someone on here would be along to complain that they had nothing to Model! ;-)

So the answers are?    :wink_mini:

You could have took the easy route and chosen No 71.

post-508-0-71861600-1502548527.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane

A question for Dave, as the OO gauge versions are now out, is there an update on the timescales for the O gauge version?  I see Hattons are still listing it as being available for pre-order so im assuming its not been shelved.  I may have missed something on a post, and apologies if I have, just wondered if there was an update at all...

Richie

Seeing as Dave has made two posts, and not answered your O Gauge related question which I'm interested in to I'd suggest the 25th of never and that's a positive estimate.

Seeing as Dave has made two posts, and not answered your O Gauge related question which I'm interested in to I'd suggest the 25th of never and that's a positive estimate.

Hi,

I've repeatedly said, both on here, on me web site and at shows, that the O gauge will come further down the (excuse the pun) line than the J94 and N gauge items. I've made that no secret, and so far I hope I've pretty much kept to this.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

With the success of the OO gauge J94 model released late in 2016, it is time to announce more liveries on this model over the next 12 months.

These models are available to order from your stockist over the coming week or so, but will be a staggered delivery over the next year. Artwork is currently being finalised and i will show it here and on other forums when i am totally happy with it.

Due to market forces, including shipping, Chinese price rises over the last few years for labour and raw product, these models now have an RRP of £104.95 each.

DJMOOJ94-006 M.S.C. #85 Grey with black outlining and white lining

DJMOOJ94-007 NCB Kent #12 Lined Black Livery

DJMOOJ94-008 NCB #69 No' 2 Area Durham, Black with red lining

DJMOOJ94-009 NCB 'ANTWERP' Maroon with white buffers

DJMOOJ94-010 68049 BR Black late logo , Tall bunker

MSC

MSC

MSC

M. Must have

S. Should have

C. Can now have

Oh Yeah. !

Very good choice. :-)

Re: Antwerp, will it be as preserved, lined out in yellow/black, or just plain maroon ?

Ps not to wish list, but the MSC did have some nice Hudswell Clarkes, that got around a bit and are very popular in preservation...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

MSC

MSC

MSC

M. Must have

S. Should have

C. Can now have

Oh Yeah. !

Very good choice. :-)

Re: Antwerp, will it be as preserved, lined out in yellow/black, or just plain maroon ?

Ps not to wish list, but the MSC did have some nice Hudswell Clarkes, that got around a bit and are very popular in preservation...

Antwerp will be plain maroon, white buffers and white walled tyres.

Point taken about the H.C. Loco's.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

DJMOOJ94-006  M.S.C. #85 Grey with black outlining and white lining
DJMOOJ94-007  NCB Kent #12 Lined Black Livery
DJMOOJ94-008  NCB #69 No' 2 Area Durham,  Black with red lining
DJMOOJ94-009  NCB 'ANTWERP' Maroon with white buffers
DJMOOJ94-010  68049 BR Black late logo , Tall bunker

That's a bit unfair now Dave. Now I need another couple of locomotives. My wallet has only just come out of sedation...

Ian

Hmm, MSC lined grey. Looks like I'll be adding another DJM austerity to the fleet. As a taster, here's my MSC liveried Dapol Austerity, no doubt Dave's will be even better.

post-6861-0-89277000-1502660544_thumb.jpg

Don't suppose you could number yours as 86 Dave? Save me a renumbering job..... :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, MSC lined grey. Looks like I'll be adding another DJM austerity to the fleet. As a taster, here's my MSC liveried Dapol Austerity, no doubt Dave's will be even better.

attachicon.gifIMG_0560.JPG

Don't suppose you could number yours as 86 Dave? Save me a renumbering job..... :)

I do like that. Very tasty.