Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2022 at 22:54, cheesysmith said:

I do wonder if Swindon was working off some HO drawings when they did the intercity/cross country DMUs? They were going through their love of German trains at the time, and it would explain why the Trix coaches windows are just right.

I am wondering if they are Hawksworth size

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not an amazing amount to report at the mo, the queue for the paintshop grows ever longer awaiting a decent spraying day.

Today has been a little interesting as I won a spares repair deltic for under 40 quid which I think is a decent win in this day and age. I took it to the bench after work to see if I could see if there was any life in the thing and there was a brief judder but nothing.

Upon opening it up, what I thought was a mucky wash over the body was also on the inside... a quick sniff and I realised it smells like pipe tobacco!  Thought I'd share a few pics to warn anyone off the dangers of pipe smoke to Deltics!

20220209_171236.jpg.102af9c628d0fc64068dc143dd0a8edf.jpg20220209_171750.jpg.9bf7b50366d1d125024106b9ee8d2860.jpg

20220209_171831.jpg.13de21a59aec961d380bb660c23a0a74.jpg

Apart from the nicotine stains and missing buffers, its in good nick. I don't think it's been run that much and mainly been sat on a shelf. One side is still green.

Another good reason not to start smoking kids.

Hopefully more soon.

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Not an amazing amount to report at the mo, the queue for the paintshop grows ever longer awaiting a decent spraying day.

Today has been a little interesting as I won a spares repair deltic for under 40 quid which I think is a decent win in this day and age. I took it to the bench after work to see if I could see if there was any life in the thing and there was a brief judder but nothing.

Upon opening it up, what I thought was a mucky wash over the body was also on the inside... a quick sniff and I realised it smells like pipe tobacco! So thought I'd share a few pics to warn anyone off the dangers of pipe smoke to Deltics!

20220209_171236.jpg.102af9c628d0fc64068dc143dd0a8edf.jpg20220209_171750.jpg.9bf7b50366d1d125024106b9ee8d2860.jpg

20220209_171831.jpg.13de21a59aec961d380bb660c23a0a74.jpg

Apart from the nicotine stains and missing buffers, its in good nick. I don't think it's been run that much and mainly been sat on a shelf. One side is still green.

Another good reason not to start smoking kids.

Hopefully more soon.

James

The interior picture is really scary, shows how penetrating the stuff is.

When I was working we had a secretary who smoked quite heavily - this is back in the '80's. The decorators got quite a shock when the time came to paint her office and they had to try to remove as much of the brown sludge from the walls and ceiling as possible before starting!

Still, looks like a good buy for you nonetheless.

John.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The interior picture is really scary, shows how penetrating the stuff is.

When I was working we had a secretary who smoked quite heavily - this is back in the '80's. The decorators got quite a shock when the time came to paint her office and they had to try to remove as much of the brown sludge from the walls and ceiling as possible before starting!

Still, looks like a good buy for you nonetheless.

John.

Yeah I think I best knock fags on the head again....horrible really to think what my insides are like...

Once it's cleaned up itl be pretty mint, it can join the works queue for shawplan bits... I think I have 3 deltics in bits now!

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, heavymetalwagons said:

Trying to stop smoking myself. Not doing very well, but have cut down a fair bit. Thing is i like having a fag

Same, went all week last week without one until I got to the pub after work on Friday and its slowly crept back in to routine.. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a tad busy with other things other than models since the last post annoyingly but my Dad has been plodding on with various things in my absence. I was up at the bench today to get going again and was very glad to the next projects starting.

We have a load of Airfix 1st class 2ds I picked up cheap last year so we had a plan to cannibalise the worst one to create some TSO's as these are pretty rare and go for a fair bit on Ebay nowadays. I also gathered 3 BSO's up so decided to chop one into a BFK. The MK2 project was supposed to come after all the MK1 chops but the weather had curtailed us spray painting the MK1s so far so for something to do he's cracked on.

Only one pic as my phone was dying but the BFK was done as per a topic I found on here, apologies I forget who posted it now.

The TSO's have/are being done by cutting the window strip out and chopping up the windows and adding an extra one in from the cannibalised BSO. It's turned out not to be as simple as we thought as the body mouldings between the FO and BSO seem to be different thicknesses and also the FO body mouldings seem to have some areas thicker than others so it's a fiddle getting the windows to sit flush. We are getting there and we should get 3 TSO's sorted soon. Lots of filling and sanding coming up. The MK1s are just about ready for proper painting, just waiting for a decent day over 10 degrees or so to get them sorted..

20220306_133302.jpg.4e6e1a05d3e8aa80ac114fa8cebdaf57.jpg

Should be more updates soon, fingers crossed.

James

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

If you chop the BSOs in half and stick the passenger halves together you get most of the way to a mk2e SO.

Griff

Aye Griff, I'm keeping my BSO as is now, it's only because I had 6 FO's that we are messing around with them like this. Keeps it cheap!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

May be easier to fill all the windows and recut them.

I have done 2x BSO 2xFO to 1 TSO and 2xBFK.

But slicing FOs to TSOs wow

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Then stick the brake halves together for a Mk2 BG.

Mike.

Well that was my original plan as its very easy but suddenly bso's seem a tad expensive, plus I'm keeping one and one is a BFK now. Keeps the cist down and the old man out of bother!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJI said:

I did consider filling and recutting windows but I think I'd get bored, plus this way we can re use the original tinted windows easily. 

• RMweb Premium

I still need two last TSOs got for to process and I may have to consider FO conversion, got 3 TSO 2 BSO (for a 2E) and need two more as 2E so may be 4 BSO or fill and cut two FOs.

So watching what yours are like

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJI said:

I still need two last TSOs got for to process and I may have to consider FO conversion, got 3 TSO 2 BSO (for a 2E) and need two more as 2E so may be 4 BSO or fill and cut two FOs.

So watching what yours are like

I'll keep you posted, 1st one has just had second pass with filler yesterday so should have some updates later this week all being well.

Cheers

James

Evening, just back from an afternoon of sanding a priming the MK2 cut and shuts and I'm pretty happy with the way things are looking. Another round of filling some areas and final fettling sanfing to get rid of some bumps and these should be about ready to join the paint shop queue.

20220312_165242.jpg.5c1103b5ca5ba974ccaf4c66defebc85.jpg20220312_165951.jpg.439b916889b5faa10a760ffa089df4eb.jpg20220312_165954.jpg.dfffe70c139d21933bfdac31f54f0543.jpg

We have another FO marked up for cutting so looking at cutting that when my Dad is back from holiday as he knows what he's up to with the cuts.

Hopefully more tomorrow and fingers crossed its less windy up here so I can start top coating my TEA'S.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Got a bit of free time before Leeds game this aft, thought I'd get up to the bench and get the rattle cans out eager to try the RAL 5020. I'd started painting some of the coach sides with railmatch rail grey with a brush whilst the weather was poor.

20220313_131256.jpg.8f7716f7d32ac8f74335636c3d5c875e.jpg

Masked up the LFK to spray the blue and bu*gger.. it clearly doesn't like being on top of Enamel paint! Also the 15mm masking tape I found isn't great, back to Tamiya stuff. Now where is my model strip?

• Friendly/supportive 3

I wonder if the rattle can you used is Halfords Acrylic?

I've also made this mistake, "acrylic" doesn't necessarily mean water based, merely "not oil based". The Halfords can I used was acrylic using solvents as a thinner/ carrier, with just the results you've experienced over enamel. I'm not at all sure why this stuff is somehow supposed to be more eco-friendly!

Can you get Railmatch Railblue enamel as a spray can?

John.

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I wonder if the rattle can you used is Halfords Acrylic?

I've also made this mistake, "acrylic" doesn't necessarily mean water based, merely "not oil based". The Halfords can I used was acrylic using solvents as a thinner/ carrier, with just the results you've experienced over enamel. I'm not at all sure why this stuff is somehow supposed to be more eco-friendly!

Can you get Railmatch Railblue enamel as a spray can?

John.

Exactly my thoughts, I got mine mixed up at my local Auto Discount shop, I wanted to give it a try it because I thought it may be a cheaper and quicker alternative to my usual Railmatch blue rattle cans. Railmatch takes a while to dry and is quite expensive factoring in postage and with the amount of coaches I have in the queue I thought it'd be an easy win.

My fault for not testing it first, been waiting weeks to get spraying with weather and being busy do I should have hung fire..

I'm going to experiment with the Holts Grey I have tht is nearly rail grey and see how the 5020 sits on that. That was my plan but got bored waiting so brushed railmatch on a couple of coaches

All is not lost though, I got a coat of grey on my TEA'S before I went to watch Leeds game and the LFK sides are being stripped.IMG-20220313-WA0008.jpeg.170f68c2ff733dab6a49d3dde7a57192.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2022 at 08:33, MJI said:

I've played around with converting Lima H0 Mk2b coaches to 2d/e/f by cutting out the whole window area and replacing with a half-side cut on my Silhouette cutter. 2 layers of 10 thou sheet, the inner layer with slightly oversize window openings which then (by dint of also cutting a normal window opening) also give me the external frames. IMG_20210114_150652.jpg.435558c78d9d8a9d673be4b1e29597ff.jpg

IMG_20210114_152357.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/03/2022 at 13:17, jessy1692 said:

Masked up the LFK to spray the blue and bu*gger.. it clearly doesn't like being on top of Enamel paint! Also the 15mm masking tape I found isn't great, back to Tamiya stuff. Now where is my model strip?

Hi James,

Sorry to hear of your woes, I have had similar issues in the past, usually with acrylic auto spray varnishes over enamels (as with your example, mostly when using Railmatch colours, hit & miss with Humbrol (but fatal with Humbrol gloss colours). Since then I generally use rattle can colours for most projects and avoid enamels altogether when possible, other than for small touch ups or weathering after spraying has been completed.

Hope you manage to strip the paint ok and get a better finish second time round.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

Sorry to hear of your woes, I have had similar issues in the past, usually with acrylic auto spray varnishes over enamels (as with your example, mostly when using Railmatch colours, hit & miss with Humbrol (but fatal with Humbrol gloss colours). Since then I generally use rattle can colours for most projects and avoid enamels altogether when possible, other than for small touch ups or weathering after spraying has been completed.

Hope you manage to strip the paint ok and get a better finish second time round.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, lesson learned here, I should have done more testing rather than rushing...

I need to check on the stripper but it's a bit tricky as I came down with Covid on Monday and been pretty ropy today. The coach sides are at my Dads who is away this week so if I'm feeling a bit better I may nip round and liberate them to assess.

Bloody annoyed iv gone 2 years avoiding it and get it the week iv started spraying! Hey ho, touch wood I'll be on the mend soon.

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Cheers Martyn, lesson learned here, I should have done more testing rather than rushing...

I need to check on the stripper but it's a bit tricky as I came down with Covid on Monday and been pretty ropy today. The coach sides are at my Dads who is away this week so if I'm feeling a bit better I may nip round and liberate them to assess.

Bloody annoyed iv gone 2 years avoiding it and get it the week iv started spraying! Hey ho, touch wood I'll be on the mend soon.

All the best

James

Oh heck. Hopefully symptoms remain mild and it won't affect you for long and you feel better quickly. Annoying all the same. I was only talking with someone the other day, it seems I know more people who have had Covid in the past couple of months than in the previous 2 years, so it's clearly still around though hopefully milder now than it was.

All the best mate,

Martyn.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Covid is rife now. Quite a few people I know have it.

Been exposed to people with it but all ok. Either too low a load or the triple Biontech

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MJI said:

Covid is rife now. Quite a few people I know have it.

Been exposed to people with it but all ok. Either too low a load or the triple Biontech

My lad has had it twice from school but me and his mum didn't get it either time then. I think iv got it now because its 1 rife and 2 it's been a few months since my 3rd jab so immunity naturally waning. Not feeling too bad now all being said.

Fingers crossed it stays away from you MJI

Stay safe

James

• Friendly/supportive 1