Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A New Home needs a good shed !

• RMweb Gold

I'm working on the basis that as Gismo's not posted he's stalled on the build and I'll overtake him . . . .well I might if it wasn't for those pesky 1700 slates. . or moving the boiler. . .or cutting the doorway .....or the firewall.....or the clean up..

damn....

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all from a very wet and windy North Wales. Firstly sorry for lack of activity over the last couple of months but having taken a amazing couple of weeks in New England enjoying the fantastic colours of the fall or as the Yanks call it ' leaf peeping'

On my return I started the task of wiring the shed and as mentioned earlier on in the thread I didn't want the wires buried in the walls in case the local mice population decided to tap into my little part of the National Grid and therefore avoid the problems that would cause. I had also made the decision that twin and earth wire clipped around the shed would somehow spoil the general appearance of the interior of the shed. My youngest son is an electrician and had suggested that the best course of action would be to place the wiring in 20mm conduit, it was at this point he came up with loads of materials that were left over from a big commercial contract that the company he was working for had completed and managed to talk he boss into letting him donate it to a 'good cause' his Dads Man Cave. Like a lot of these freebies it has it's draw backs which in this case was that the majority of the conduit was black which was a shame but as it was going around the top of the walls I felt it would not distract from the general appearance. I decided to run the cabling around the top of the walls so that it did not get in the way of layout construction and just place double sockets in the corners of the room using white conduit for the drop down cables which as I'm going the curve the back scenes around these corners it should not impact on the layout. 

The main railway room has been fitted out of six high spec non flicker strip lights that have be spaced out to give maximum lighting cover the results of which I am very pleased with. Also I have fitted out the room with a full surround sound system which will be joined after Christmas by a 40 inch wall mounted LCD telly so that I can get inspiration from my many railway DVDs  or blast out 'Planet Rock' at mega amps :sungum:  :sungum:  

post-5136-0-73412900-1450007495.jpg       The lighting showing a nice even spread of light 

I have also been able to finally erect my layout of Chester Northgate Shed for the first time in three years wow some way to play trains 

post-5136-0-60388900-1450007828.jpg                                         post-5136-0-39092800-1450008444.jpg                                        

post-5136-0-64590500-1450008541.jpg

I have also been busy next door in the 'man cave'  workshop. I have always wanted a separate work area away from the layout space a place where all the tools of the model railway trade can be kept stored away in proper storage drawers and I know where things are when I need them ........ I don't think so  :senile: come on what would a railway modelling session be without a ' Where the Hell 'did I put that .........

post-5136-0-80783000-1450009265.jpg                                            post-5136-0-92355800-1450009298.jpg

post-5136-0-90413300-1450009345.jpg

Well you might as well see  some photo's while it's tidy  :jester:

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...

Well I trust that everyone has had a Merry Christmas and if your like me taking the chance to hide out in the shed from the somewhat none Christmas type weather that we seem to be suffering. Very strong winds have been testing the new shed construction and I am very pleased to report that structure would appear to be 'fit for purpose' and also water proof too. I think I stated earlier on in the build that I have been mindful from the start of this build that due to my location strength was going to be an important factor. Well the plan was to get the gutters in place this week but I have made a health & safety decision and not ventured up any ladders due to the strong winds. 

Although it has not be very cold over the last couple of weeks I have certainly noticed the benefit of the insulation that I have installed and have found that a small oil filled radiator on a low setting does keep the man cave nice an cosy.... 

post-5136-0-60248300-1451436721.jpg

My youngest son very kindly found a nice set of rules for my new cave all of which would appear to be in keeping with my new found hide away ........ :locomotive:  :locomotive:

I will keep updating any progress as I get things sorted and I'm hoping to put together some of the building costs (roughly) so that every one else who is contemplating a shed build can see what  involved .

Happy New Year to everyone especially other fellow cave / bunker dwellers ....Remember Every Good Man Needs a Shed....... :boast:

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

A belated New Years greetings to all and what a horrid wet start we have all had to put up with. Having said that I have been quite pleased to see such extreme weather conditions as it has given me the opportunity assess the quality of my 'man cave' build. Firstly I am glad to report that no leaks have been encountered despite the gale force winds lashing the shed with gallons of rain water and given my position on a Welsh hillside believe me it has been rough over the last month. It has certainly been worth the extra cost of using plastic coated box section metal roofing sheets rather than a felt or cheaper roofing sheeting.   I have also been very pleased with the 'heat retention' qualities of the building which is down to fully insulating all areas including below the flooring space. In fact I was in the shed the other day and was unaware of the very heavy rain storm that was going on outside such is that level of insulation   I have two oil filled Delonghi heaters one for each room and although I do not leave them on over-night have found that the whole shed is fairly warm when I first go in the morning and hopefully any layouts will not suffer from any extremes of temperature.  I certainly have felt those that have omitted to install insulation in their railway rooms as it cannot be very warm at this time of year and must put off many evenings modelling sessions. 

Well that's enough of my ramblings about my 'delux man cave' the reason for this post was the promised costings for the build which I know some of you are keen to know so that you can start planning for any building work this coming year. 

I have broken down the costs to approx figures and generalised them into the following:

Planning permission / building consultants fees .......................................................................................£340

Ground / block work/ gravel/ sand and concrete (including base and car parking area .........................£1788

Timber for frame / roof trusses etc...........................................................................................................£1100

Treated Cladding ..................................................................................................................................... .£800

Roofing sheets / fittings..............................................................................................................................£625

Insulation / membrain (King span sheets re-cycled).................................................................................£1000

Interior wall sheeting / chipboard flooring ..................................................................................................£750

Electrics / fittings / guttering / hardware / paint / wood treatment etc.     ................................................ .£1000

Approx total  £7403 

The following figures have been rounded up to the nearest amount on multiple purchased and do not included on going modelling fixtures etc. 

There is of course no labour costs in the figures as the work has been done by myself and some help where needed from family so anyone costing out a shed build should take this into consideration. 

It's quite interesting that the final figure for the completed shed is about the same amount that I was quoted for an 8x4 metre shed from a local manufacturer which was just the shell and roof and I had to provide the base and insulation, internal lining and electrics  plus I have added a 3x2.5 metre workshop. As you can work out from the above figures the shell and roofing cost me £2525.00 to build and design myself and hopefully to a much higher standard than that of a sectional build. 

Best of luck if you are planning a new shed build and if you have learnt anything from this thread you can build your own 'Man Cave' so just DO IT  :sungum:

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I lost track of your thread which I was interested in as a move of house was on the cards. Well we moved at the end of March with the initial plan of buying a large (for me) shed as there was no garage to convert. We were planning a 3 meter extension to the rear of the house as the kitchen is tiny and a larger lounge would be a good asset, then the penny dropped, for a similar price (as we were having an extension built anyway) it could be built as part of the extension. Whilst your shed is much larger your costings have confirmed my thoughts, with the added bonus of making the rear extension even better. Also when I did my garage conversion I did not connect it to the central heating system (owing to our impending move) the cost of heating it was quite high, so cost effective heating is a thought

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi again just thought I would bring this thread out of the darkness of the RM vaults to give it a bit of an update after today's new addition to the workshop area. I'm in the process of a mega tidy up in the main railway room as I have a new kitchen being delivered on Friday and rather than struggle working around boxes of kitchen units they need to be stored in the shed just to make construction easy. 

One thing that I have promised myself is a spray booth rather than setting up my usual old cardboard box every time I want to do some air brushing and getting myself 'high' on the fumes  :O which yes I know is not a good thing  :nono:  :nono:  plus it would be nice to have an area set up all the time for the odd little weathering job that crops up. I have for some time been pricing the spray booths that are on the market which can start around £50 for the cheapest and can go up to £500 depending what you want. To be honest there just hasn't been anything that has ticked all the boxes so I have made my own :sungum:

The workshop is the ideal place to site this new bit of kit but where was the big question !!!!

post-5136-0-41825300-1490141154.jpg

I needed to have it sited on an outside wall as I wanted to fit an extractor fan to expel the fumes but as can be seen from the enclosed photograph space is a bit limited. In the end I relocated the most important bit equipment in the whole facility .....the 'sound system' well one has to have some rock music to get things going  :locomotive:

Once the mass of wires had been re-routed and the system had been fitted into the upper shelf area I had myself a nice space to start construction 

post-5136-0-92068200-1490141619.jpg

A trip to the wonderful DIY stop in Corwen and the purchase of a cheap basic bathroom extraction fan for the massive cost of £29.99 and the job was in hand ........ 

post-5136-0-32903800-1490142080.jpg

Some careful lining up of the extraction duct and rip saw soon makes a well positioned hole in my carefully constructed shed  :scared:

post-5136-0-43271300-1490142394.jpg

The extraction fan fitted and some ply board fitted and sealed and a spare spotlight that's been kicking around the ' might come in useful one day' box 

post-5136-0-90317000-1490142581.jpg

A quick couple of coats of paint and the ' jobs a goodun'   

Well apart from the cost of the extraction fan £29.99 all the materials have been off cuts and spares so the new spray booth has come in well below the cheapest bought cabinet 

Hope this little update to my railway shed world has been useful and inspires others to 'have a go' 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

What a great thread and fabulous model railway room. Much better than my shop bought sectional shed, which has started to move a bit. 

Although I am not sure my wood working skills are up to such finesse!

Now to look at the railway inside....

• RMweb Gold

Looks good. What about draping a bit of gauze over the fan to pick up the bigger particles ? might stop you getting paint colours on the outside of the shed around the fan.

I think the reason some of the larger ones are quite expensive is because the fan can't have an open motor, if you spray with lots of thinners then you could have a flashover. For what we do it shouldn't be a problem.

• RMweb Gold

Looks good. What about draping a bit of gauze over the fan to pick up the bigger particles ? might stop you getting paint colours on the outside of the shed around the fan.

I think the reason some of the larger ones are quite expensive is because the fan can't have an open motor, if you spray with lots of thinners then you could have a flashover. For what we do it shouldn't be a problem.

Do kitchen extractors have closed motors?  (Not the higher flow rate versions of gismorail's bathroom one but the ones in cooker hoods.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do kitchen extractors have closed motors?  (Not the higher flow rate versions of gismorail's bathroom one but the ones in cooker hoods.)

I don't know for sure.

I have seen some open framed ones years ago,  they caused problems after a couple of years when they got caked in grease and muck, but they were cheap ones they used to throw in with a kitchen.

Edit - without checking I would assume a cooker hood has a much higher flow rate than the bathroom one shown.

Edited by chris p bacon

I lost track of your thread which I was interested in as a move of house was on the cards. Well we moved at the end of March with the initial plan of buying a large (for me) shed as there was no garage to convert. We were planning a 3 meter extension to the rear of the house as the kitchen is tiny and a larger lounge would be a good asset, then the penny dropped, for a similar price (as we were having an extension built anyway) it could be built as part of the extension. Whilst your shed is much larger your costings have confirmed my thoughts, with the added bonus of making the rear extension even better. Also when I did my garage conversion I did not connect it to the central heating system (owing to our impending move) the cost of heating it was quite high, so cost effective heating is a thought

My own room is slightly progressed, footings have been built and the walls are starting to go up, whilst not totally ideal I will have a workshop 15' x 6' where I can have a decent work bench, cupboards to store things in and room for a small layout. 2 weeks into a 14 week build, though will be very busy with the paint brush initially

In addition I have re positioned my wooden garden shed which has a work bench/surface at standing height lever with a decent large vice. This is my DIY store/work room and in due time will have a source of power once the house is rewired

• Like 2

What a great thread and fabulous model railway room. Much better than my shop bought sectional shed, which has started to move a bit. 

Although I am not sure my wood working skills are up to such finesse!

Now to look at the railway inside....

Thanks for your kind comments Neal and I'm sorry to hear your 'shop bought' sectional shed is trying to move home . It's my pet hate the rubbish that some company's think they can get away with these sectional sheds most of which are not not fit for purpose. I have two good friends that I have known for many many years and both have had to replace purchased model railway sheds and I was not prepared to go down that road. Don't be frightened to have a good yourself it's amazing what one can achieve and believe me if your determined to do a job it can be done. 

Thanks for that tip will get hold of some and try it out 

I don't know for sure.

I have seen some open framed ones years ago,  they caused problems after a couple of years when they got caked in grease and muck, but they were cheap ones they used to throw in with a kitchen.

Edit - without checking I would assume a cooker hood has a much higher flow rate than the bathroom one shown.

I will bare these thoughts in mind and certainly Dave's tip about getting some gauze which should reduce a quick build up a muck. The extractor is cheap enough to replace after a couple of years. 

post-5136-0-81757700-1490209700.jpg

I didn't get enough time yesterday before it got dark to photograph the outside vent as can be seen I opted for the self closing flaps to preserve to warmth inside during the winter months. 

• Like 3

My own room is slightly progressed, footings have been built and the walls are starting to go up, whilst not totally ideal I will have a workshop 15' x 6' where I can have a decent work bench, cupboards to store things in and room for a small layout. 2 weeks into a 14 week build, though will be very busy with the paint brush initially

In addition I have re positioned my wooden garden shed which has a work bench/surface at standing height lever with a decent large vice. This is my DIY store/work room and in due time will have a source of power once the house is rewired

Bet you can't wait to get yourself set up in your new purpose built room. It has to be the ultimate way to go with all the creature comforts ..... no excuse to not get on with the layout though , at least I can have  'it's too cold tonight '  :jester: excuse if work doesn't get done 

Best of luck and make sure you post some pictures when all is completed 

• Like 1

That looks a cracking job Martin, I wanted a permanent set up in my Shed, but I really haven't got the room, yours look stonkin mate, well done.

BTW I found this up-date thanks to Shedmans Post in Chumley End.

Edited by Andrew P

Bet you can't wait to get yourself set up in your new purpose built room. It has to be the ultimate way to go with all the creature comforts ..... no excuse to not get on with the layout though , at least I can have  'it's too cold tonight '  :jester: excuse if work doesn't get done 

Best of luck and make sure you post some pictures when all is completed 

I converted part of my old garage as a work room, never bothered to connect it up to the central heating system even though the boiler was in the room, as knowing we planned to move in the near future. The first winter I was very frugal with the electric heater, the second not so and my electricity bill soared.

Initially we planned to buy a shed for me to work from especially as we have a bespoke shed builder in the village. For various reasons it seemed sensible that as we were planning to build an extension, for a similar cost it could be incorporated into the design. Certainly the heating costs will now be minimal if non existent, the same with the electrical installation (especially as we thankfully have a competitive inclusive build cost. Internal access to the room far better as will be the security. Finally the extra room adds to the value of the house. However these things are only relevant as we were going to have an extension, had we had just my workroom built the costs would be far greater.

I will echo the benefits of a high quality shed, a shed built by the local shed company came with the house. A few parts were needed to renovate it but the main parts were still very sound, and the shed could if needed be easily upgraded. Far better in quality than those sold at budget prices, but if bought new would so much. Like all things in the end you get what you pay for.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just fell over your thread as I wanted to see who is the man who gives me a like...

You did a great job and you made it a good size too! I bought a house 3 years ago and I did more or less the same - but as I am lazy I used a ready made summer house. So I had just the Lego-like game of finding the right piece and build it up from flat pack to a building. And I enjoyed that a lot. Together with a mate it was up in 2 days and another day to finish the roof. And it is much smaller. I have 5.5 x 3.5 meters and I use it mainly as a workshop and storage for my modules. I can put 2 modules up for building and testing, but when I want to put the complete layout up I need to do that in the garage (which I currently refurbish - as it is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Insulation and dry lining is the answer and will take place this summer.

Vecchio

post-29042-0-33015700-1490346370.jpg

Edited by Vecchio
  • Like 4

Just fell over your thread as I wanted to see who is the man who gives me a like...

You did a great job and you made it a good size too! I bought a house 3 years ago and I did more or less the same - but as I am lazy I used a ready made summer house. So I had just the Lego-like game of finding the right piece and build it up from flat pack to a building. And I enjoyed that a lot. Together with a mate it was up in 2 days and another day to finish the roof. And it is much smaller. I have 5.5 x 3.5 meters and I use it mainly as a workshop and storage for my modules. I can put 2 modules up for building and testing, but when I want to put the complete layout up I need to do that in the garage (which I currently refurbish - as it is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Insulation and dry lining is the answer and will take place this summer.

Vecchio

attachicon.gifmancave small.jpg

Hi Vecchio,

Glad you dropped into my thread and hope you enjoyed the tale of the Carrog man cave.......it is said 'that every good man should have a shed' and I'm sure your well pleased with your excellent construction. From your photograph it looks like fair quality one and you did well to get it up in the time scale. 

You will find that once you have insulated it the temperatures between winter and summer will be helped. I have found that  the most important part of the insulation is to wrap the outer layer with Duport Reflective Air guard at £104.00 per roll (50mm x 1.5m ). prior to installing the Kings span sheets. for what it costs it is well worth the expense. It normally goes over the main carcass of the building before the outer boarding goes on which in your case is now impossible but I reckon if you simply staple into around the inside it will make a big difference. The only other big tip I can pass on is make sure you treat the outside every year with a spirit based preservative and Not the water based type. 

Best of luck 

Regards 

Martin

• Like 2

Just a final detail to the spray booth . I was not happy with the base of the booth as I felt it needed to be off the main workbench and as it was just ply board it would soon get covered in paint over spray so I had a good rummage through my wood pile yes it's things that might come in useful time again .........mmmmmm yes ok I'm a hoarder :drag:

post-5136-0-47890300-1490456392.jpg            

post-5136-0-98013100-1490456456.jpg

but it's always worth it  :jester:

• Like 3