Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A New Home needs a good shed !

If you have any mates around with a reasonably strong back, there is a much easier way to build the walls- lying down on the bedding sand or concrete, then flip them up.  With 2 reasonably strong people, you can raise up 16' of 8' high wall easy enough, and that way, you can just nail the studs to the header and footer using a framing nail gun.  (just be careful with the nail gun...if it'll drive through a 2x4, it will drive through you too...).  When I built our barn, I think I did it all that way, I made the side walls (24' long) in 2 pieces.  The end walls are also in 2 pieces, mostly because they sit on different heights of concrete.  (they are "only" 12' long)  The whole building will be shaky until you get the last piece of wall in- if needs be, tie across it all with a spare 2x4 to hold it all together.  They make turnbuckles for doing this sort of construction, Lee Valley tools carry them over here.  (not too much use in the UK though...)  It'll be the same sort of thing for getting your roof trusses up- if you can borrow a friend, they shouldn't be too bad of a lift up.  The last set of trusses I did, went up OK because they were landing on a 20' by 8' working platform, then going crossways from that.  They span a gap between the containers, so I had the roof of the container to work from.

James

Hi James 

Thanks for those comments and if I had any friends near to me I would build this as you and others have suggested but as I said in the earlier post this is a Billy - no - mates build if you understand my weird sense of hu :drag: mour 

Reckon I should call this Billy's man Den / Man Bunker  :senile:

After a good day yesterday on the building front the rain came down in true Welsh style today so not a great deal of progress. I took the opportunity to take in some 'retail therapy' and visited some men's shops....... yes you guessed it right Tool Stores  :senile: And look what I came home with ::::

post-5136-0-06180300-1436218697.jpg

post-5136-0-25819400-1436218714.jpg

I have had the mitre saw for some considerable time the new bit is the saw stand. For under a hundred pounds I'm pleased with the outcome as it a good strong and stable piece of kit. 

Lets hope it's not too wet tomorrow as I have targeted the completion of the shed frame by the end of the week  :boast:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's a good purchase, for years I muddled by using scaffold bandstands and planks to make a table up on site, but when I had to change the saw the offer was a saw and stand. It's made tasks so easy I couldn't understand why I'd never brought one before.........oh yes maybe it was the £880* price tag !

*Saw and table.

That's a good purchase, for years I muddled by using scaffold bandstands and planks to make a table up on site, but when I had to change the saw the offer was a saw and stand. It's made tasks so easy I couldn't understand why I'd never brought one before.........oh yes maybe it was the £880* price tag !

*Saw and table.

Dave your spot on with that statement. I'm exactly the same , muddled along through two house renovations and two sheds and more than likely broken all the health and safety regulations know to man  :nono:

It's because I know that when I come to cut the roof spans I've got to get the angles true. Today's work progress has shown me the time saved and extra productive outcome ................

post-5136-0-90317200-1436301510.jpg

Have had a 'Billy - no -mates ' production line going today -  got all the uprights cut and the bat joist angles in placed and screwed down and then set up the remaining two sides as well as the end workshop. Have left the workshop end open for now as I want to install a thin high line security window above where the workbench is going so that I have some idea as to whether it's night or day when I'm beavering over what ever project is on the bench. :boast:

Tomorrow is going to be another trip to the builders merchants to source the window and Tyvek membrane as well as check out what cladding I'm going to use .......I did say it was ' Build & Design ' ......................

• Like 3

That sounds about right- usually, the design follows the build for me too.  Here I actually did plan it before building it, for the barn and the house addition.  I did both sets of drawings/plans, planning applications, and fairly well all the work on the barn on my own, and the electrical and interior finishing in the house.

James

I would suggest you put a few diagonals into your framework.

Agree with this to stop any racking of the framework otherwise it may ? fall like a deck of cards !

post-20303-0-40668900-1436456915.jpg

This may give you the necessary details.

Edited by bgman

Well have had a very successful day today as I have managed to fabricate 8 of the 9 trusses for the roof . To be honest it was the one part of the build that I was not looking forward too as angles and maths is not a strong point for me, I blame my maths teachers from school , hated both of them , pair of over-powering bullies the type that you just had to revolt against  :triniti:  :smoke:

As I mentioned before my eldest son works for a large rail consultant as a track design engineer so he was able to produce drawings for me to follow so I know that the principle would work Ok.... but making them was going to be another story.  I spend about an hour cutting up off cuts of wood and making up the angles as a dry run as it were, and then made up a jig so that I could do a production line type of assembly .........

post-5136-0-21766500-1436480064.jpg

The made up sections of wood set out in the jig. 

post-5136-0-31067900-1436480136.jpg

The first one arises from the jig  :sungum:

post-5136-0-79054900-1436480219.jpg

I fitted this first one in place to check that it was correct before I made any more, better safe that sorry

post-5136-0-21594600-1436480376.jpg

post-5136-0-67347300-1436480399.jpg

The fruits of a days production as the light starts to fade would have pushed on to complete the final one to be honest but I ran out of screws in the end. 

Talking of 'screws' I have found these rather excellent ones in my local DIY shop their called ' Torxfast and instead of the normal possi-drive type of head they have  a star type and each box is supplied with the correct bit for your drill. I have used over 400 of these the last couple of days and am still using the same bit. I think they will be excellent for baseboard construction ......anyone come across them ?????

post-5136-0-82491500-1436481201.jpg

post-5136-0-54488000-1436481219.jpg

post-5136-0-00935000-1436481235.jpg

Anyhow that's the progress to date hope this is of interest to you all. 

• Like 5

I've used plenty of Torxfast screws, very good. Using an impact screwdriver, I reckon they are quicker than nailing. Slightly cheaper, and just as good, if you buy the correct pozi drive bits, are Reissers . I get 'em from Toostation http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63292 or http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+%26+Fixings/d90/Reisser+Screws/sd2716

For baseboards, I use this glue, http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p78519 no screws needed, just clamp it together until glue has set. Works well outside too, even if wood is creosoted afterwards. (and I mean creosote, not creocote!)

I've used plenty of Torxfast screws, very good. Using an impact screwdriver, I reckon they are quicker than nailing. Slightly cheaper, and just as good, if you buy the correct pozi drive bits, are Reissers . I get 'em from Toostation http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63292 or http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+%26+Fixings/d90/Reisser+Screws/sd2716

For baseboards, I use this glue, http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p78519 no screws needed, just clamp it together until glue has set. Works well outside too, even if wood is creosoted afterwards. (and I mean creosote, not creocote!)

I'm certainly very impressed by these Torxfast screws and as you have rightly said they are cheaper that the normal types. What I do like about them is the fact that they are very easy to unscrew and that you can drive a screw in on the underside of jobs as the bit is so well in contact with the screw which is going to be useful in the construction of a model railway.   

Interested to see you use Toolstation, I have found that they do have a good range of produces and the Chester Branch is right next to Screwfix which is handy. I found out the other day that they are the same group as Wickes and Travis Perkins which I was not aware of.

Will investigate the Everbuild wood adhesive that does sound useful many thanks for that information 

Can I just add my recommendation for the EverBuild Range of Wood glues - I started using them around 4 or 5 years ago and have NEVER built a baseboard using screws or nails since!   One small point - make sure you don't get it on skin ( the brown stain will take about a week to wear off ) so use disposable gloves - and DON'T get it on clothing - IT WILL NOT COME OUT!  :jester:

Edited by shortliner

I'm not sure how available they are in the UK, but Robertson screws are hard to beat.  Real ones, not the cheep cheesy ones...

James

There's many imitations of products where ever you live ... but I have not seen any Robertson screws in the UK

Can I just add my recommendation for the EverBuild Range of Wood glues - I started using them around 4 or 5 years ago and have NEVER built a baseboard using screws or nails since!   One small point - make sure you don't get it on skin ( the brown stain will take about a week to wear off ) so use disposable gloves - and DON'T get it on clothing - IT WILL NOT COME OUT!  :jester:

Thanks for those words of guidance and recommendation ...... good thing you pointed the sticky fingers warning because for sure I would do that and once I'd stuck them together I would not be able to read the instructions which I should have done in the first place telling me that I should be wearing gloves ............  mmmmm chances are I will get the gloves stuck to my hands then I'm going to be in trouble.......  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

We use boxes of those cheap sterile gloves, they don't have to last long and sometimes you only want it on one hand so they last twice as long.

Handy when you spray locos etc too.

FWIW I get these Nitrile gloves from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006FXUNMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

They seen to be a bit stronger than others I've used, and seen to resist oil (working on car) and paint (emulsion, gloss, acrylic and enamel) pretty well.

• Like 2

Thought a quick update might be of interest to those of you who are following my ' Billy no mates' shed build. :jester:

Well have had a bit of a mixed bag of weather over the last few days but I have at least managed to complete the roof structure having borrowed  part of a scaffolding tower so that I could man handle the roof trusses into place and then brace the whole together . As I mentioned earlier in the thread this was the one part of the build that I was ' worried' about as I know how important getting all the roof pitches right was going to be crucial.

post-5136-0-64383700-1437300371.jpg

On the whole I feel that I have achieved a fair degree of success and for sure the whole structure is very solid now that the roof sections are in place. I had no worries about doing balancing acts whilst I was fixing the final cross battens in place. 

post-5136-0-83850300-1437300708.jpg

This end on view shows the lean to workshop structure complete with roof frames now in place. I have also started to put the ' noggins' in place along the side frames which I know I should have put in earlier but I was waiting for long enough off cuts from the roof battens rather than cut up full lengths of good wood. 

I had a day where I had run out of large enough screws during the week and as I had cleared the stock out of my local DIY store I took the opportunity to make up the doors ready for fitting once the sides have been completed. 

post-5136-0-02945200-1437301257.jpg

post-5136-0-03703500-1437301279.jpg

A good few coats for wood preservative should make them bend in OK

Well ' the sun has got's it's hat on'  today so hopefully I will get another good day in. Got lots of little bits and pieces to finish off in readiness for the arrival of cladding and box profile roof sheets this week. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Any idea of cost so far??

I'm just after an idea of the savings compared with a pre fab type shed of comparable size.

Looks very impressive I have to say.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold

This end on view shows the lean to workshop structure complete with roof frames now in place. I have also started to put the ' noggins' in place along the side frames which I know I should have put in earlier but I was waiting for long enough off cuts from the roof battens rather than cut up full lengths of good wood. 

That's exactly what we do. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to completely assemble one part before proceeding with another, each part performs its own function (vertical or horizontal stability) and so long as it goes in before you finish it's fine.

Part of good building practice is good use of materials and reduction of wastage. . . . .you're nearly a professional!

Looking good so far, keep going like this and it will outlast you easily  :imsohappy:

• Like 2

That's exactly what we do. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to completely assemble one part before proceeding with another, each part performs its own function (vertical or horizontal stability) and so long as it goes in before you finish it's fine.

Part of good building practice is good use of materials and reduction of wastage. . . . .you're nearly a professional!

Looking good so far, keep going like this and it will outlast you easily  :imsohappy:

Thank you for your kind words sir 'You are a gentleman ' to which I always add ' and there's no many of us left '  not sure about the ' nearly a professional '  :blush:  no way I'd make a living at of this ....would have to stay on after the build to help with the layout construction ........Ones thing for certain It will defo outlast me !!!!!! :senile:

• Like 1

Any idea of cost so far??

I'm just after an idea of the savings compared with a pre fab type shed of comparable size.

Looks very impressive I have to say.

Have not added up all the costs so far but a rough guide off the top of my head 

The base including block work and concrete etc was around £1000. The wood I purchased for the main structure as it stands at present cost me approx £1500.00 (but included in that cost is some materials for some garden structures that I am also building. 

I have ordered the cladding for the outside walls that was about £800.00 and the box section sheets for the roof have cost £625.00 . I have still to source the insulation as yet and that's where the big shock is going to come........I fear  :scared:

I will do a full costing at the end to give others some idea of what's involved 

• Like 5

This is a very interesting build. I actually built a 26 feet by 10 feet shed myself a few years ago and followed a similar course to your good self. It was built as the home of a "OO" gauge layout,but is now going to hold my (First) new "O" Gauge layout. I installed UPVC windows and the price still came in better than a Purchased Shed of the same size.

Good Luck. 

Regards,Del.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your kind words sir 'You are a gentleman ' to which I always add ' and there's no many of us left ' 

There's a lot in the club who would disagree, especially when things don't go to plan. . .  they're going to buy ear defenders soon! :O