Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

Update from GCR: 34081 '92 Squadron' will be running this weekend with 9F 92214 and 8F 48624 with a special timetable, normal prices. 

I'm aiming to ride behind 34081 after spending most of last weekend on the platform, this is a spectacular loco both visually and in performance. 

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/2017/10/all-steam-weekend-with-92-squadron-14th-15th-oct-2017/

Meanwhile 2/3 of the deck sections have been laid over the MML bridge, and the appeal for the canal bridge restoration as the next 'Bridge the Gap' project is now open. 

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 3

Just to let everyone know that Railway Vehicle Preservations ( RVP ) will be launching the Diesel Brake Tender at the 'Last Hurrah'

It's hoped either D123 or the class 20 will both propel and tow the DBT on one or two freight workings over the weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for a GCR update, both the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0s are away for the Christmas season which kicks off with Santa Specials next month. 78018 is on the Nene Valley Railway and 46521 is on the Great Central North as their last steam loco, 8F 8274, is out of traffic.

Here is 46521 pulling into Rushcliffe Halt this morning, past the apple tree.

post-14654-0-87044700-1509299051_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Same loco, same location, but a wintry scene very different from the picture in #409. 46521 hauls the GCRN Santa Special into a snowy Rushcliffe Halt. GCRN has to take credit for not only selling out its Santa trains, but running them in snowy conditions. 47292 takes care of the return end.

post-14654-0-39604900-1512941503_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-94733700-1512941516_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 9

I did wonder if you had been out David!

I did a line walk seeing as it was perfect weather for it, starting at Ruddington it was only just settling, by Gotham moor it was settling well and further south, well just loads of the white stuff, I won't flood the thread with photos but my favourite from the day...

post-22343-0-56639200-1513030735_thumb.png

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 10

Same loco, same location, but a wintry scene very different from the picture in #409. 46521 hauls the GCRN Santa Special into a snowy Rushcliffe Halt. GCRN has to take credit for not only selling out its Santa trains, but running them in snowy conditions. 47292 takes care of the return end.

attachicon.gif46521 10-12-17.jpg

attachicon.gif47292 46521 10-12-17.jpg

Dava

And there I was thinking it was a Jinty at the other end

• RMweb Premium

The GCR and Leicester City Council press statement is here:

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2017-12-14-News-Release-Leicester-North-museum.pdf

This is extremely disappointing news for all of us, but there seems to be a commitment from Leicester to make the project happen with other funding, we shall see. The Bridge to the Future project is not affected but the amounts of capital to be raised for both projects and the ongoing improvement of the GCR in the next few years are of course large numbers in the tens of millions.

Dava

Bad news that the lottery funding has been withdrawn http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/plans-new-railway-museum-leicester-925697

See this which shows there is less money available and they are promising more money than they are getting in so this could be one of many like this. https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Investigation-National-Lottery-funding-for-good-causes-Summary.pdf

I wouldn't mind betting that the HLF's Nottingham based regional officer has been desperately trying to dump the Leicester museum funding commitment ever since he realised they were over-committed going forward.

Not really a surprise that a "Leicester" project has been dumped, as since 2011, Nottingham has been "awarded" £25.5M of HLF money, little Lincoln awarded £18M, and even diddy Derby has been awarded over £13M, whilst Leicester has received only £9M over the same time period.

I wouldn't mind betting that the HLF's Nottingham based regional officer has been desperately trying to dump the Leicester museum funding commitment ever since he realised they were over-committed going forward.

Not really a surprise that a "Leicester" project has been dumped, as since 2011, Nottingham has been "awarded" £25.5M of HLF money, little Lincoln awarded £18M, and even diddy Derby has been awarded over £13M, whilst Leicester has received only £9M over the same time period.

Not that I keep an eye on such things I really wonder what £25.5 million has been 'spent' on in Nottingham????

I know I can Google such info but I deliberately put it as 'spent'

I am from Nottingham by the way although now live some miles away from the city (thankfully), just amazed at some of the seemingly hare brained schemes they come up with!

Edited by great central

Not that I keep an eye on such things I really wonder what £25.5 million has been 'spent' on in Nottingham????

I know I can Google such info but I deliberately put it as 'spent'

I am from Nottingham by the way although now live some miles away from the city (thankfully), just amazed at some of the seemingly hare brained schemes they come up with!

211 projects https://www.hlf.org.uk/our-projects/search-our-projects/search_api_combined_1/10007?search_api_views_fulltext=Nottingham&sort_by=search_api_relevance&sort_order=DESC&Search=Search

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the HLF rejection of the Great Central Museum funding application, there are very frank radio interviews with Sir Peter Soulsby and Michael Gough here:

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/2017/06/great-central-museum-work-progress/

Sir Peter pulls no punches in fingering the Regional Director of the HLF in East Midlands as being biased against the project and finding a pretext to refuse the bid. The official can be identified quite easily on the HLF website as he has a public role. 

Now back to the season of goodwill to all men and looking forward to an after-Christmas Griddle Car breakfast and steamy day on the GCR with Mrs Dava.

Dava

Having listened to the bellyaching I get the impression that there is a sense of entitlement coming from Leicester. I find this unimpressive.

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

News on the Bridge to the Future project can always be found on this site: http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/

The priority for 2018 is to raise the funding to reconstruct the Grand Uinion Canal Bridge in situ. £475,000 is required to complete this, and to cover the costs of the planning permission application for the next stages of the project, which include the new embankment and bridge works to connect the MML bridge with GCR North and South. So as well as interest, money, preferably through regular monthly gift-aided donations, are very welcome.

Visit the Friends stand at the GCR Winter Steam Gala on Loughborough station from 27-29 January. See the B12, Crab and home loco fleet in action.

Excellent news also about the famous guest loco visiting the GCRN on 11-12 Feb! After its winter overhaul at a 'private site in Loughborough'.

GCR North and South is where to be for big steam this winter.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

The news is now out that 60163 'Tornado' is running on the GCRN on 11-12 Feb. Where else could you ride behind an LNER design pacific for £15?  http://www.gcrn.co.uk/events/2018-events/tornado/

Meanwhile the visitong locos, LNER B12 8572 and LMS Crab 13065 are arriving at GCR Loughborough [or rather Quorn] for the Winter Steam gala this weekend.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/winter-steam-gala/

Dava

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just spent today at the Great Central Winter Steam Gala. Interesting timetable, friendly staff and an excellent breakfast on the train, freshly cooked and brought to your seat. Thank you to everyone at the GCR and if you are coming to the Mid Hants Gala on 9th, 10th and 11th February I hope you enjoy your day as much as I did mine today. The only problem noticed by the passengers was the late running caused by a passenger collapsing on a train at Loughborough which is nobody's fault and I hope the person concerned makes a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Winter Gala was busy today with better weather than Saturday. I was mainly on the platform at Loughborough with the Bridge stand and just had a trip on the 'non-stop' double-headed by 8572 and 13065, though this was halted by shunting operations at the Rothley home signal. So others will have better pictures to post, but here are some of mine.

8572 slipped along platform 1 road early this morning, a very elegant loco.

post-14654-0-83452900-1517163634_thumb.jpg

13065 looked great in the sunlight.

post-14654-0-36749600-1517163645_thumb.jpg

Even the van train still gleams, a superb rake of 12 assorted vans.

post-14654-0-11021000-1517163662_thumb.jpg

We now have an Austerity running as 68067 to partner 47406.

post-14654-0-95937100-1517163674_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Visiting 13065 and 8572 are running on the GCR this weekend, normal fares.

Loughborough is still stunned by the announcement by Brush of the loss of 270 turbogenerator division jobs in the iconic works, more news on Monday.

Dava