Networker EMUs in N Gauge

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work Paul!

I have no need for a 466 but they are attractive beasts and you've done a great job so I might have to spring for one. 

It might be worth trying to spray one of the windows with a gloss acrylic varnish as some people have reported that turns it clearer.

Cheers, Mike

Cheers all,

MGRHooper:  No I hadn't seen that company.  That's awesome that there is a clear 3D print possible, though by the looks of that site (they're talking about optic pieces) I can only assume the prices would be quite astronomical at the moment.  Still, I'd say that there's hope there for the future that one of the more 'hobby/craft' orientated print outfits like Shapeways will introduce something similar.

Cheers,

Paul

Like Shapeways, you can always ask Luxexcel for a quote. I say no harm in trying. Atleast for the Class 466 windshield. The rest can be done using clear plasticard which saves you a lot of money. Can always have an etch made to cute it or try laser cutting perspex.

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

Excellent printing on all items - the 455 body work is just right for a little mod into the Irish 450 and now Railtec transfers have started on a range of NIR transfers things are looking up.

Re 150 001/2  I have started down the road of cut/ shut and cuss to make one out of Farish shells.

Certainly a coat of gloss varnish - Klear will help the reflective nature of the glazing - I do to my MK2 stripped shells before adding overlays.

FWIW at Warley I have offered for display some of my pile of part finshed and raw 3D stuff so hopefully A6 display cases will have some on display.

Robert      

• RMweb Gold

Cheers all,

MGRHooper:  No I hadn't seen that company.  That's awesome that there is a clear 3D print possible, though by the looks of that site (they're talking about optic pieces) I can only assume the prices would be quite astronomical at the moment.  Still, I'd say that there's hope there for the future that one of the more 'hobby/craft' orientated print outfits like Shapeways will introduce something similar.

Ian, yeah I can do if that's cool with you; I'll try and get it to an initial primed up stage if I can. 

If anyone wants to see these prints in the flesh then come check out Roundhouse's Santa Barbara layout @ Warley show this Sunday, that's stand B49 in the Overseas section!

Cheers,

Paul

Yes, first Networker to make it across the pond :mail:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Those bodyshells are looking really good.  I will try to step away from the Revolution/Rapido stand to see them on Santa Barbara.  Indeed, having spent a couple of very enjoyable hours at the real Santa Barbara station this summer I was rather hoping to have a look at it anyway!

I'd second the idea of maybe getting the tricky curved cab glazing printed clear - maybe a larger number would make it cost effective if you can get enough people together - and perhaps also laser-cut clear plastic/perspex for the glazing?

Very nice work though - really getting there!

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn regular life getting in the way, taking up valuable modelling time, I don't know.....

I have today, FINALLY, managed to get a first coat of primer on the new 465 and 455 shells.  Yay!  :)  The prime certainly picks out the details that are not really obvious straight away on the FUD.

First up they got a clean in some luke warm water with a drop of Fairy.  Next up was a gentle file with some wet'n'dry, though it turns out I wasn't as gentle as I'd thought :-(.  Ah well.

After this another clean, this time cold water with a Milton steriliser tablet dropped in (oh yes indeed).  Then it was time for some primer.

Here I've used Railmatch Acrylic primer, which I've never used before.  Jury's out I'm afriad, was like tar and needed a LOT of thinning, but then it was the first use.

The pros of using a proper airbrush to prime are self evident - you can get it in all those nooks and crannies, and build the prime up gently, which I find quite difficult with one of those spray can primers, especially when working in such a small scale,  Just need to find a primer I can get along with.

Here's some piccies......

attachicon.gif1stPrime001.jpg

attachicon.gif1stPrime002.jpg

attachicon.gif1stPrime003.jpg

attachicon.gif1stPrime004.jpg

attachicon.gif1stPrime005.jpg

attachicon.gif1stPrime006.jpg

attachicon.gif1stPrime007.jpg

Right, nearly time for Homeland.

Paul

Looks absolutely stunning!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello Paul,

Now work on the Netwroker, the print has come out very well indeed! Is it FUD or FXD? In fact that's probably one of the crispest N scale prints I've seen. And the fact it looks like the prototype too, even better! ;-D

Jo

Thanks for that Paul. I've noticed that the difference between FUD and FXD in your hand is actually negligible, so might as well save the cash and run with FUD!

I've only ever used bog standard Halfords primer on my 3D prints. Never had any flaking off issues, but then I do clean them up thoroughly in an ultrasonic bath

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

These look stunning and offer so much - good idea to break away and rest the grey matter. I fancy the 4 car 365 for starters but was hopping to use front ends for the 325 as it has more definition than Bobs vinyl based fine offering. Would it be possible to buy any of the development shells ?

waiting for a post free day for some shapeway based other products but this is too good to miss. Anybody in UK supply wheels or is it an import job?

cheers

Robert   

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

These look stunning and offer so much - good idea to break away and rest the grey matter. I fancy the 4 car 365 for starters but was hopping to use front ends for the 325 as it has more definition than Bobs vinyl based fine offering. Would it be possible to buy any of the development shells ?

waiting for a post free day for some shapeway based other products but this is too good to miss. Anybody in UK supply wheels or is it an import job?

cheers

Robert   

Robert

try these people

http://www.nscaleamericantrains.co.uk/en/141-couplers-trucks-wheels

Archived