Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

That is what the LT Museum said at the time of the announcement but when they advised that I was one of first 250 orders placed they said that the model, the Bachmann certificate, ticket for the special train and information confirming the train details will be sent out in one package at the beginning of September by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Its early September now but as the package has not yet arrived I would assume that it will arrive next week.....

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Would be nice to have the certificate for one of the first 250 if they are certificated as I couldn't attend the trip. Not usually bothered about certificate numbers but just something to have instead of a ticket to keep ;)

I have been asking the LTM since the GBRf special liveries came out, I hope others are, as it sounds if Bachmann would be able to do the livery! Good news that Bachmann are game and I know the LTM would be if they believed customers would buy them.

LTM emailed me to give some amazing news, I am the first customer! :D I cannot tell you how chuffed I am with this!! Certificates shall be given to the first 250 customers.

The Transport Museum has always said that they will be distributing the models at the special event on 26th September and then posting out the remainder of the pre-orders during the following week. I suspect they already have them in stock, just waiting for the launh date to start distribution.

Sadly, that information has evolved. The first 250 customers were contacted recently to say the S-Stock shall be posted out in early September, along with the limited edition certificate (and if you can make the special event, your ticket) via Royal Mail Special Delivery. After reading the KMRC Newsletter and understanding information given to its customers, I fully expect next week is the week. Fingers crossed! (The LTM confirmed, though I cannot make the special event, my model gets posted out with the rest of the certificated models, I hope that information helps those who are within the 250 but cannot make the day)

It is though interesting, they do not plan to release them on general release before 2nd October in the LTM shop or at the Action Open Day. Though I actually like that, means customers who ordered immediately are rewarded by an exclusive product for September. I have to confess I have been epically impressed throughout this process, I hope Bachmann and the retailers have taken note (not announcing until nearly delivered, great communication with customers, rewards for pre-ordering quickly and following up the reward by getting the pre-order out as a semi 'exclusive'). Brilliant stuff LTM!

Side question....has anyone who ordered the S-Stock, conveyed to the LTM how much they would love to see the underground GBRf Class 66 twin pack? I know Mike Walton and his team would be keen if we were!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just received email from LT Museum that my S-Stock order (one of the first 250 orders placed) has been despatched and that I should allow 5 working days from the date of the despatch email for the order to reach me.

Details say that ​Standard delivery items are sent out by Royal Mail 1st class delivery service so hopefully the set will arrive before the end of the week :boast: ​. Wonder if Royal Mail will get it here even quicker..

Keith

Edited to make clear that my order was one of first 250 orders placed

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 1

I got the e-mail too. I fancy, however, that the parcel will be rather too big to go by Royal Mail.

Why?

I'm in the first 250 too but i haven't got the email (yet) - hopefully very soon!

Are any of you guys going on the trip?

Edited by Tase

• RMweb Gold

Why?

I'm in the first 250 too but i haven't got the email (yet) - hopefully very soon!

Tase

Yes, I'll be going on the trip.

When I asked the museum a couple of weeks ago was told that we are required to be present at Moorgate for 10:45. The special returns to Moorgate at approx. 13:38

Keith

Why?

I'm going on it. Dumping HWMBO & granddaughter (another SWMBO) in a hotel for the trip. I'm also wondering if the model will have enough traction to haul eight cars without rubber tyres. I hate the things!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, I've received mine via RM Special Delivery this morning. Grinning from ear to ear :-)

I note that it's franked at £26.60 (for the 8 car set). A bit of a bargain given that I paid a tenner for shipping.

Thanks LT Museum and Bachmann for indeed making my otherwise dull workday !

• Like 1

The S7 Special train ticket is in the form of a "credit card" with the ticket number matching the certificate number. Mine is #128. Train no.400. Valid from 11:00 to 13:30.

Special instructions for access to platform 4 at Moorgate are shown on the timetable.

The train will run Moorgate to Amersham then return via Watford Met. I'll have to do a return trip from Watford for a return trip to Watford.

I think I'll go via Watford Junction and Euston rather than the Met. It would too long sitting sideways otherwise. See you at Moorgate ("Moorfield entrance on the west (Holland & Barrett) side of the street")

the timetable also states that "A sales stall will also be available for our guests" and "Representatves from Bachmann will be on hand to answer your questions throughout the journey

RP

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 1

Happy to be wrong again. Royal Mail has just delivered the enormous parcel. The "main train" cars are in standard packaging but enclosed in Bachmann's corrugated DMU box, nicely LT themed. The extra cars are individually packaged but the sleeves are also LT themed. The ticket is a nifty piece of work - I hadn't noticed the match of the ticket number and the limited edition number (104)! We arrive back at Moorgate at 13.29 and the ticket is only valid until 13.30. I hope the train isn't delayed or we'll all be thrown out onto the live rails.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mine (Certificate No. 102)  arrived at 12:15 whilst I was in the back garden running one of my G-scale trains for a visiting friend - but had left a note out front that I was round the back so the postie had no problem finding me to deliver the big package :jester:. Happy bunny :senile:.​

One motorised car running in on analogue soon to fitted with decoder when the second motorised car gets its running in on analogue. Looking good so far,

Keith

Mine arrived at 9:15, a nice big package.

As the model was commissioned by the LT Museum and is only available through the Museum, and as the packaging is LU and LTM branded, perhaps this thread and the review thread should both be moved to the "Retailer Commissions" sub-forum as a London Transport Museum Commissioned model.

• RMweb Gold

Mine (Certificate No. 102)  arrived at 12:15 whilst I was in the back garden running one of my G-scale trains for a visiting friend - but had left a note out front that I was round the back so the postie had no problem finding me to deliver the big package :jester:. Happy bunny :senile:.​

One motorised car running in on analogue soon to fitted with decoder when the second motorised car gets its running in on analogue. Looking good so far,

Keith

Latest update, one motorised car fitted with Lenz Standard 21+ decoder and test run on digital on its own. Now waiting on its own for other motorised car to get its decoder fitted before serious testing begins - just wonder if the motorised cars can take the 8-car unit up my gradients without the need for the traction tyres.

post-586-0-23673500-1442324520.jpg

Keith

• Like 3

These models have traction tyres???

Andy

Replacement axles with traction tyres are supplied with each unit just in case. It has been reported to me that without them the full 8 car struggles a bit on the equivalent of 4th rad curves.

I'll look for myself later.

RP

• RMweb Gold

These models have traction tyres???

Andy

Hi Andy,

Traction tyres are not fitted to the motorised cars as supplied .... but a wheelset with traction tyre per motorised car is supplied as an alternative to be fitted to the power bogie should additional traction be required.

At the moment my 4-car unit can make it up my 3ft radius 2% curved gradient without the need for traction tyres:

post-586-0-35767500-1442327134.jpg

I have the other 4 cars which I will gradually add to the unit to see if and when the traction tyres are needed. In the meantime its time for coffee.

Keith

Edited to add radius of gradient

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 4

I've had a couple of derailments, cured by slackening off the fixing screws of the guilty bogies. On a purportedly level track, my 8-car train slips to a stand on 6' radius curves. It's currently running in as a 3-car unit. If running in doesn't help, I'll have to try adding weight.

Perhaps the pick-ups on the intermediate cars are creating drag. A casual glance when trying to fix the derailments seems to indicate that they aren't connected to anything and are there in case internal lighting is to be added.

The motor arrangement is ingenious and seems to have been derived from the rather wonderful Windhoff MPV. However, driving onto just one bogie doesn't help when trying to move eight cars. I had hoped that the re-tooled 150 would have something similar but I'm now glad it doesn't.

• Like 1