Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

• Moderators

STATEMENT FROM Bachmann EUROPE PLC

IN RESPONSE TO

Interesting- David Haarhaus states in the May BRM (P38 just past halfway down the right-hand column)  "Furthermore Bachmann Europe will suspend sponsoring any more external tooling commissions which can consume a great deal of management time, and we'll steer clear of any head-to-head duplication of products".

So no more Locomotion Models special releases from Bachmann, no more Invicta special editions (CCT, TPOs etc). This is a real shame, as these commissioners have proved there is a market for models that Bachmann seemed unwilling to produce on their own accord. I can understand suspending until the current backlog is cleared, but putting a blanket ban on tooling commissions...

David Haarhaus, European Sales & Marketing Director at Bachmann Europe Plc would like to clarify the situation regarding future commissioned items.

“At the time of the interview with BRM we were reviewing internal processes relating to commissioned items. Detailing the relationships between our customers, our UK engineering team and our parent company in Hong Kong. This review would not have in any way infringed on commissions for our retailers such as Invicta or the London Transport Museum.

I would like to reassure RM Web readers that Bachmann will continue to talk to its customers regarding bespoke projects and opportunities and the options available to make their dreams and suggestions become reality”.

• Like 2

What I particularly like about this announcement is that the subject will be available so quickly. None of this years and years wait we're so used to.

That's probably because they didn't make the mistake (and the LTM were similarly tight-lipped) of announcing it years in advance. Hence it's a pleasant surprise to have a new model - ready to go to market (and in fact on the ship already) - sprung upon you. That way, you don't have to think about the time that they actually spent in developing and tooling up for it.

RTR models don't just appear at one's fingersnap.

• RMweb Premium

I was skeptical of the Overground 378s when they first appeared.  One of those late at night from Euston full of drunk idiots you couldn't get away from led me to nicknaming them the 'bad party train'.  But then that's not as bad as a young woman being stuck in a carriage on her own with some drunk pest or some other dangerous botherer.  I've come to like them.  I now use the S stock along with my bike for my commute, fortunately I commute at irregular hours so they're often quite empty.  I find the tip up seats perfect for leaning my bike against so it's not in anybody's way, I can sit opposite and keep an eye on it.  It's nice to be able to walk through and fun to be able to see down the length of the train.  The kids probably love it.

Perhaps a discussion to be split off if the Authorites so determine but I feel rather strongly myself about the current trend towards open "people tubes".

I accept that they meet crashworthiness requirements without end walls and bulkheads in the traditional sense otherwise they would not be permitted to run.  

I do not like the way that everything (tin cans, kebab wrappers, newspapers and even people) can roll around unrestrained and in a sudden stop can be projected the length of the train.  Up to five cars on a 378 or eight on S-stock.  I prefer face-to-back seating but accept there is need to maximise standing accommodation and longitudinal seats are the best option.  But I can't see out of the opposite windows if the train is crowded and much though I don't like repeated announcements either that is where they are of some benefit.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But they should do, according to some people. And if it's not the required number and/or livery, then it's OK to wait about a week for it................................

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That's probably because they didn't make the mistake (and the LTM were similarly tight-lipped) of announcing it years in advance. Hence it's a pleasant surprise to have a new model - ready to go to market (and in fact on the ship already) - sprung upon you. That way, you don't have to think about the time that they actually spent in developing and tooling up for it.

Exactly. The way they've done it for the S stock is so.... much better in my opinion - I would rather not know until something was about to appear (say during the validity of the current catalogue) rather than be told years in advance and then have to wait. Now it seems to be all about blocking a model by announcing it and then nothing

Yes, but the models you mention didn't come in at the thick end of £300 a pop.

Maybe they should have commissioned some non-powered end cars for the tourist market?

John

They sold out all of their pricy specially commissioned Halling powered Croydon Trams pretty quickly. And the stock Halling powered German trams and EMU's all went off the shelves at normal retail prices too.

Andy

They sold out all of their pricy specially commissioned Halling powered Croydon Trams pretty quickly. And the stock Halling powered German trams and EMU's all went off the shelves at normal retail prices too.....

And most likely gone to mainly UK collectors, since not easy to come by within the UK.

• RMweb Premium

You mean you told "the bank manager" you wanted to buy a set??? :O Mistake No.1.

Experience suggests it is best to just do things, and then ask for forgiveness afterwards :secret:

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Never EVER tell SMWBO / Bank Manager / Leader of the Opposition that you intend to order something.  

Anything arriving here which doesn't escape detection was "Ordered years ago and has just been released".  Anything sighted in traffic which hasn't been seen before has "Been here ages but doesn't often get a run".

You know what - I've just found a benefit to all these Hornby / Bachmann / Dapol production delays!!! ;)

• Like 5

That's what I do: "I pre-ordered this last year and it's just arrived now." :D

Going back to the solid ends on the S stock models, I would prefer this solution rather than being able to see into them from the gaps between coaches as they go around curves on the layout. If they had a gangway arrangement that ensured no gaps between cars, I might feel differently; perhaps some sort of swivelling connection that fills the gap completely as used in a few of the more expensive European models in the past ... but they haven't done this so I personally prefer what they have chosen to do.

• RMweb Premium

Never EVER tell SMWBO / Bank Manager / Leader of the Opposition that you intend to order something.  

Anything arriving here which doesn't escape detection was "Ordered years ago and has just been released".  Anything sighted in traffic which hasn't been seen before has "Been here ages but doesn't often get a run".

You know what - I've just found a benefit to all these Hornby / Bachmann / Dapol production delays!!! ;)

Don't whatever you do announce that its just been released. :jester:

Guest spet0114

Don't whatever you do announce that its just been released. :jester:

Unless you make it very clear that you don't intend to buy it - brownie points can be accrued for showing restraint.... :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You forgotten the most important part Rick -

'Which means it is a lot cheaper than it will be in future as prices are rising all the time' ;) 

• RMweb Gold

With only a few months to September I've started the layout planning, found these on the pavement at the end of the road which should help. I'm thinking of using transfers to represent the inner lining construction as the yellow is a bit overpowering.

post-6968-0-15309400-1433333470.jpg

I think even Mick might be tempted into LU modelling with this stuff ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

With only a few months to September I've started the layout planning, found these on the pavement at the end of the road which should help. I'm thinking of using transfers to represent the inner lining construction as the yellow is a bit overpowering.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

One of the railway modelling mags, many years ago, had an article on modelling the underground complete with drainpipes let into the floor as running tunnels.

However I believe it may have been in April's issue! :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tracklaying and ballasting could be a problem. :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Try this photo to show what you could have!

attachicon.gifLT Sentinel.jpg

courtesy http://www.railalbum.co.uk/

Perhaps Knightwing will re-introduce their kit?

Tracklaying and ballasting could be a problem. :scratchhead:

Keith

50 mm Drainpipe is exactly the right size to represent the deep tube lines (EFE stock). The S stock is surface stock which is virtually the same size as main line stock.

• RMweb Premium

The S stock is surface stock which is virtually the same size as main line stock.

Not really - the Met loading gauge is more generous than BR, and S stock is wider than main line stock. If these are true scale models, they will foul some "surface" model station platforms. Perhaps someone can post details of the routes used for delivery of the trains over Network Rail.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Old Dalby1147

Asfordby Collierypass1212

Melton Jn.12171222

Melton Mowbray [MMO]pass1225

Melton Mowbray Up Loop12291245

Melton Mowbray [MMO]pass1247

Melton Jn.pass1248

Ashfordby L.C.pass1250½

Frisbypass1252

Syston East Jnpass1301