Ilkley locomotive shed, 4mm P4 1950s

Jub45565

And another update!  It's been lovely here today, so I took the opportunity to head into the garden.  Gardening was not high on the agenda though... (actually, I tell a lie. I did do an hour of bush bashing first thing).

I have constructed the boxes, fitted hinges and done a small test section of cuprinol...

The hinges needed a size 3 screw, the head of a 2.5 fell through, which left some protruding through the other side of the ply. I cut this off with a carbon slitting disk and all looks nice.

post-130-0-26514200-1437333918.jpg

post-130-0-01295500-1437333916.jpg

post-130-0-09050200-1437333914.jpg

Next stages are to cut out some ends - outer ends to be fitted permanently. I have enough spare ply for some inner ends too, so I might as well construct them while it is in the mind.  I need to make some cutouts from the front flaps to work around the toggle catches which are yet to be fitted. Then I need to fit the alignment dowels - which are waiting for me to make up some packing pieces from 60 thou plasticard so they sit flush in the 6mm ply.

The tops are a bit droopy, so I will fit more bracing to square it all up.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not all of this progress was made over the weekend, but a fair bit more was achieved than anticipated as the weeding seems to have become home to some wannabe butterflies - and who am I to disturb them...

post-130-0-32184100-1438637791.jpg

So with the plan laid out and oriented onthe boards...

post-130-0-32831100-1438637782.jpg

The next job was to start laying some sleepers - ply 0.8mm thick bases from C&L.

post-130-0-96610500-1438637792.jpg

With the cork and trackbed glued down with copydex, the turntable well hole was created. I drilled a load of holes, and then drill them all together...

post-130-0-31610500-1438637786.jpg

Then some track was laid: Starting with the common crossing, and then the stock rail which had all the chairs threaded on. I am using the Exactoscale chair sets, and the sleepers which are yet to have chairs on them are for chairs which do not grip the rail and so can be slid in afterwards.

Track feeds are being done with lace making pins through the board, soldered to the underside of the rail and then wire feeds will be soldered to the section of the pin under the layout.

post-130-0-50090500-1438637809.jpg

This shows the underside of the board, which has progressed a bit since this photo. The Lenz control unit is in place, as is the connection panel in the end.  There is a DPDT switch to toggle between DC and DCC, and connectors in the end for DCC 16VAC, accessory 16VAC and DC 12V - 2 sets via banana plugs, the 16VAC via a DIN socket.

The wiring is going via screw earth terminals, one for the 'front' rail feed and one for the 'rear'.  The black and red wires coming through on the left of the photo are from a piece of C&L flexi track that had been my test track in free air, and is temporarily tacked down here for electrical testing (passed) and to be used for other testing prior to actual track being finished.

When I made my C&L order they were out of stock of Exactoscale S1 chairs and I thought I have a fair number in stock, but sadly not. It is at least Railwells at the weekend... otherwise my work is back to the 2P for now.

post-130-0-11634800-1438637813.jpg

post-130-0-12236700-1438637784.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

More progress to report :-)

Having fitted the switch blades I went on to sort out my functional tie bar arrangement.  I say functional, as I am using a tie bar under the baseboard to do the movement, and will at some point add a cosmetic assembly above board once I've worked out what is most suitable (and probably well after all the functional pointwork has been laid!).

I wanted to the assembly a bit of flexibility, so I fitted brass tubing into a strip of copperclad, and through those fed lace making pins:

post-130-0-77038200-1440106658_thumb.jpg

I spaced one of the switch blades away from the stock rail using a spare sleeper to give a reasonably gap:

post-130-0-58392300-1440106651_thumb.jpg

The assembly was fed up from underneath.  The lace pins have a bend in them, so that they sit under the switch blades (and are soldered to them) but also feed under the stock rails to stop the blades lifting (I can thank Robin of Barrow Road fame for that one, dropped into conversation a few weeks ago).

Whether the solder joint is enough only time will tell...

post-130-0-94449300-1440106794_thumb.jpg

(Not the best photo, it was an angle I'd forgotten to photo when the board was at a suitable angle - I'll have another go sometime if there is interest) - under the board, there is a cross tube in which sits a spring wire that comes with the Conrad/Rapid servo point motors.  The point motor is also clamping a tube, so that the spring wire is able to move and be kept under tension at each end.  This allows the spring to allow for the difference in throw between the motor and my switch blade, and hold the switch blades against the stock rails.

post-130-0-33944000-1440106687_thumb.jpg

So with a bit of wiring up to a switch on a temporary flying lead, I have a functioning point!

post-130-0-14933400-1440106668_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, my test vehicle showed that with the sleepers beyond the switch blades at the correct gauge, it makes the first part of the switch narrow to gauge.  So the next job is to see how easily the chairs can be eased off the sleepers and resat.

post-130-0-55368100-1440106677_thumb.jpg

So an unfortunate fail, but I am not disheartened as I am happy that the point functions well - I've proved my motorising plan - and the blades sit nicely against the stock rails, so just needs a bit of a tweak to sort it out :-)

That won't be this weekend though, I'm nephew visiting...

• Like 4

Point successfully fettled!  Just reflooded the first 4 slide chairs on the turnout side with butanone and applied the track gauges and once this was cured a few seconds later my test vehicles go through the point without fail :-)

I have a few priorities to do on the 2P build next, but will soon be back to the next turnout...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tight to gauge through the switch is a common problem (been there, done that...........).  A couple of suggestions:

• use a "mint gauge" ref RSG in the stores, presently out of stock but they are on order.  This is a simple block of brass with tounges running along it that set the rail guage and the check rail guage.  No good for building trackwork but brilliant for checking it as you slide it along and if it binds, you know one or the other guage is wrong
  • buy some of the Exactoscale roller guages from C&L.  These come in true guage and then in +0.1mm increments and I tend to use the +0.1 or even the +0.2 through the switch due to not only this problem but also the endance of the switch blades to lex out when the guage is run through them to give false readings.

My other comment is that I hear rather variable results about the Conrad point motors - leave enough room to change them if need be!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips Mark.  So far I have managed with the C&L roller gauges, but having other gauges to repeatably get all the pointwork the same would be good. I will keep my eyes out at Scaleforum at the weekend!

A bit of progress has been made, but nothing particularly photo worthy as yet.

One thing I am struggling to source is a Midland yard lamp.  The prototype is on the right hand side of this photo:

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/historic/fws073.jpg

It appears that one used to be available from DC Kits, but is no longer stocked:

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/kits_modelling/4mm_colour_light_signals_yard_lights/mryl75_midland_region_lms_yard_lamp_white_led_on_tall_post_.php

I could make my own of course, along the lines of this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-sequence-of-moves/page-64

I would prefer an assembly or kit if a decent representation is available though.

• 2 weeks later...

So today has mainly been wiring - not a lot extra is running, but the infrastructure is now in place for the running railway to expand pretty much as soon as it is laid. With one caveat to which I'll come later...

So as of this morning, this shows the amount of track currently laid, and the switch for the 1 functional point temporarily poked round the turntable well.  It also shows that I forgot to integrate a cup holder, but we live and learn. The location it is sat in will probably be scenery free for some time to come!

post-130-0-59638100-1443383581_thumb.jpg

On the underside, all the servo point motors have now been installed, alongside chocolate blocks to feed on their connections.  Track feeds have made it on to board 2, and the 2 boards are currently linked by a flying lead DIN plug & socket.  I think this is a temporary measure...

All the track feeds go into earth blocks, 1 block for the 'front' rail and one for the 'rear'.  Common crossing feeds go from the servo built in switch to the common crossing, although 2 of these need to cross the board joint (and indeed now do!).

As well as the track feed the 'main' board (right hand, with turntable) has another set of earth blocks, and these are for the 16VAC accessories - currently just the servos.

post-130-0-03535500-1443383645_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-03245200-1443383280_thumb.jpg

I have made a control panel - nothing fancy, just a slab of hardboard.  I toyed with the idea of something more extravagant, but all the points in the yard were manually controlled anyway, so I'll save playing with a more complex arrangement for when I model somewhere that the prototype had one!  Currently I have (very) roughly drawn on the control panel, but will paint the board white and overlay the track diagram more neatly later.  The switches are fed with 16VAC, and steering diodes half wave rectify the feed to the servo so that a 1 wire feed (and a common return) switch them across either way as required.

post-130-0-65331800-1443383592_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-33948300-1443383291_thumb.jpg

So there are currently 3 sections that have working track feeds now (4 including the temporary flexitrack length!).  The feed from the turntable well and the first point are fully functional.  The section between the 2nd and third points (with a 6 wheel fish van sat on it in the photo below) functions, and the headshunt in the far corner works too.  This in itself doesnt get me very far, but all I need to do is implement my point tie bar on point 2, and then add the switch blades and tie bar on point 3, and thenthe full length will run.  With the motors already in place, and the control panel, point 2 will work straight away - point 3 needs the switch feed linking between the boards though.

post-130-0-68435500-1443383301_thumb.jpg

So I'm happy with the infrastructure.  The control panel will be mounted on the underside of the lid, where the track plan is currently blutacked.  What I havent finalised is the board-board connection.  a loose link wire connected by DINs is ok, but will mean a trailing wire if and when I move the boards around.  I would prefer 2 panel mounts and a cable between, but if I did that at the rear it would mean they couldnt go back against the wall, and doing it at the front would look a bit untidy when plugged together.  I dont think there will be a perfect solution, so will probably just stick with the lead option and drill a hole somewhere so the plug can locate in the frame of its own board when the 2 boards are being individually transported.

Anyway, onwards with tie bar construction (as photographed/documented here when I constructed the first one, whose operation I am more than happy with.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Having just stumbled upon your topic when searching Google for more images of Ilkley Station, I applaud you for actually getting something built.  I have been planning (though not in any major way) a layout featuring Ilkley station in its entirety for about thirty years now, and all I have got to show for it is a large shed and a lot of CAD drawings.

However, soon is the time for action, so when I saw that you were using the shed as inspiration I thought it best to have a closer look to see what others have achieved during my abstinence.

I shall be working in EM, and like you have considered the Metal Smith Cowan & Sheldon turntable.  I wrote most of the Ilkley station Wiki article that you referred to!

I've amassed a heap of data and photos over the years since I first considered modelling Ilkley when I was about thirteen.  You needn't bother with the Dec 76 RM.  It doesn't feature a lot of detail on the shed area.  I was interested in the track plan that was glued to the underside of your lid though, as it appeared to be a little different from mine.  Where did you get that from?

The Scalescenes shed would be a good start, but if you are looking for anything more than a passing similarity, you'll definitely need to go from scratch.  I looked at this as a 'starter' as well!  My modelling period is 70s blue, so in reality the shed had long gone, but my whole layout idea is a bit of a "might have been" and so in my world, the shed was closed, but not demolished, and has been revitalised by some enthusisasts who are busy operating one or two steam engines out of it (think Carnforth, or a little closer to home, Embsay).  Meanwhile the 101s, 108s and 110s rattle past in a cloud of blue smoke...

I'm based in New Zealand, so it is a bit hard doing ground-based research, but I've found Network Rail are pretty forthcoming with their archived drawings.

Anyway - good luck with yours and I may have something more than empty space to report myself one day.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that! Glad you will soon be underway with your build too.

I am actually going to use the London Road models turntable, which looks nice but I'm going to get a bit more track sorted before starting that. Hopefully I'll be on it soon though!

I have decided against the scalescenes shed, but soon need to start on at least firming up the dimensions so I get the track & pits in the right places, & get the right 'look' overall.

The track plan is from an LMS engine shed book, I'll dig it out & let you know which one.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Andrew,

Further to my last, the track plan is from:

London, Midland and Scottish Railway Engine Sheds: The Midland Railway v. 2: Their History and Development

Available from Amazon, among other places:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0906867053/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=37G1RZ5H3IY26&coliid=IIQAMVV2P7M3H

Cheers,

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks.

I stumbled on this forum and topic whilst  trying to find the types of loco at home at Ilkley but that's

another story  My reason for butting in is  I was born and raised across the tracks from the engine shed

at Ilkley , The man in the photo standing on the turntable is my farther  Cecil Chatterton, porter-

signalman in those days  The goods yard was pretty much our play ground in those days, so I may

be able help with a couple of points. The water tank was the other side of the turntable the engine

had to cross the turntable to get water which had to be done before going on traffic, to take it on

platform 1 would have blocked the main line into the station .  The crossover  from the brewery

siding to the up main line was the other way around than on your plan as per Midland practice

trailing points only on the main line whenever possible.  The shed only ever had gas lighting, so

that light in the yard  was gas lit .

I hope  that my memory has served me right on those points as it was at least 60 years ago

the Guinness and the red wine haven't helped either.   

I now live in Lauceston Tasmania so I cant  go and check any of this on the ground so to Speke

Regards Ron

Hi Ron

What a find!  I may have a few questions for you.  I'm based in New Zealand, so ground-based research is tricky for me too.

At the moment, Pete is the only one of us who is actually building something.  I'm still in planning mode, but getting closer to some sort of start every day.

Don't suppose you have any old photographs?

Please go easy on the Guinness.  I may need those brain cells.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Ron,

Glad its brought back some memories!  Thanks for the info too, it all helps piece it together in the gaps the photos are yet to show me!  I may be able to help with loco allocations, is there a specific timeframe in mind? 

The Stanier 0-4-4 tanks went just after the war, with a few Caledonian 0-4-4 tanks briefly before the Stanier 3P 2-6-2Ts took over for a while, with an Ivatt 2-6-2T towards the end.  LNER locos sub shedded there until 1954 tended to be G5s with the odd J39 substitute.

Plenty of D49s were seen on shed, and Skipton has 4Fs and Ivatt 2 2-6-0s calling in having been on freight workings.

I do have a few useful books with a reasonable description of traffic flows and locos in use which does include pre war info too if that is of interest.

I havent made any progress on this recently, but am currently sat here creating a few plug in wiring looms.  I'm visiting the Portsmouth show on Saturday (looks well worth a visit!) but am basically at home for a change this weekend so might make some progress on Sunday. No promises though!

• Like 1

Hello folks

Glad I stirred something up, nice to think the old place is

not forgotten

Pete. I seem to remember the ivatt tanks I was looking

for justification for buying a 1scale live steam BR

class 4t coming out of China. But none ever seem to

have got to Ilkley. never mind .

That wasn't the first shed at Ilkley . The first ,I am told ,

Was along side platform 1, apposite what became

the Ilkley Town Hall. easy to see why it was moved.

Andrew.  Maybe we can restart your original post so

as not to steal this one. Il see if I can remember.

another beer may help

Later Ron 

Don't move discussions on my account! Half the point of putting these things online is to gain more snippets about the prototype, alongside the task of how to model them and fit them in.

Neville Hill did have standard 4 tanks, but I expect not until after the LNE locos worked into Ilkley on local traffic (1954).

I was aware of the first loco shed, & as you say I can also understand why it was moved! There was a small turntable associated with it which resulted in a cutout in the rear of platform one.

Cheers,

Pete

Yes - let's try and keep things Ilkley-related all in one place.

I've just looked through my 145 photos of Ilkley station and there is not one that shows the water tank behind the turntable!  The photo of Ron's Dad is about the best of this area that I have, but the tank would have been just out of shot on the left.

From my measurements on the plan I have, the tank footprint is about 16' x 13' but I cannot help beyond that, I'm sorry.

I shall obviously be having the same problem when I get to this section of the layout, so I'll be glad to hear/see what you do here Pete.

Oh BTW, I notice that the yard lamps were of two very different patterns.  I can probably post a couple of photos if you want.

Cheers

Andrew

I'll be relocating my tank to the shed side of the turntable, but it would be good to have it of the correct type so will keep my eyes peeled & keep asking here!

Thats an interesting point about yard lamps Andrew. I may be incorrect, but I thought I had deduced that there were originally 'station' lamps in place, which seemed to be replaced by 'yard' lamps in the late 40s/early 50s. I'll try & refind a pair of photos to back this up.

Cheers,

Pete

As I remember the water tank was the standard Midland tank built on a stone plinth the bottom of the tank higher than a loco cab

It made a perfect swimming pool in summer, if nobody caught us crossing the tracks  The gas lamps where the typical street lights

found in  lots of  places well after the end of the war As you say platform light only a lot taller .I don't remember them being replaced.

but that was typical of BR in whose days :=  refurbish, repaint, then close and demolish.

I can still see Joe Griffiths the steam raiser pulling the chains to turn them of on his way home at the end of shift 

Later Ron.

Pete

Have you seen the photo of the LNER  shire stood in front of the shed next to one

of OLD yard lamps taken in 1950

Its one of Bill Smiths . In the F,W, Smiths photo  collection , on the Embsay &

Bolton Abbey steam railway website page 2 half way down the page.

Ron.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the water tower info - interesting if that had a stone base with the brick shed!

I have got both that book, and use the Embsay site - and thanks for the prod, I have located photos of the different yard lamps.  There is the Hunt as you say:

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/historic/fws108.jpg

Also of the early lamp, looking towards the shed, is this one.  I include this as although it doesnt show the whole lamp, it is a more direct comparison with the last photo.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-fw-smith-rj-buckley-Ilkley.jpg

This one was taken after closure but before demolishion, and shows that for whatever reason it was replaced!:

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the water tower info - interesting if that had a stone base with the brick shed!

I have got both that book, and use the Embsay site - and thanks for the prod, I have located photos of the different yard lamps.  There is the Hunt as you say:

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/historic/fws108.jpg

Also of the early lamp, looking towards the shed, is this one.  I include this as although it doesnt show the whole lamp, it is a more direct comparison with the last photo.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-fw-smith-rj-buckley-Ilkley.jpg

This one was taken after closure but before demolishion, and shows that for whatever reason it was replaced!:

Cheers,

Pete

Yes  - those were the two different lamp types that I had identified - probably from the same two photographs if I am honest!

Interesting brickwork on the shed.  It looks to me as though the bricks were very shallow, not more than maybe 40-50 mm high, certainly shallower than your average housebrick.

It looks like the sand drying chimney was brick as well - is that correct?

The concept of having a swim in the top of a water tower in Yorkshire gives me goose pimples.

Cheers

Andrew

hello Pete . Andrew

I was certain that the water tank base was stone, but after Pete made that point about the brick 

now not so certain. every other structure on the on the branch [ other than, Bolton Abbey and Grassington

station buildings were wood framed and the shed at Ilkley brick] was of stone .Even the boundary wall

behind the water tank  was stone, I have looked at it in my mind from all angles and all I can see is stone.

If the author of that photo of the hunt on shed had stepped 3 ft to the right we would have seen the tank. 

There was another book printed by David & Charles or one of the other railway book printers on the Otley

& Ilkley branch  printed in the late 50 s early 60 s now long out of print .some one over there may know

about it . if anyone can find it I would love a copy