Ilkley locomotive shed, 4mm P4 1950s

Jub45565

So to the wheel carriers!

The carriers themselves are very easy to add the overlays to, fold up squarely, and produce.

Then its the wheels.  I always dread bits like this - 8 discs to fit together, all having sprues to clean off, and 4 sets of them.  The first set fell together though.  Some of the instructions seem a tad vague, owing to the prototype variations, but this bit is really well covered about putting them on a lightly oiled screw, and while it needs cleaning up the first one is looking good!

post-130-0-37570300-1456512148_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-18921100-1456512155_thumb.jpg

Now its time for a well (?) deserved (?) curry with the Bristol Scalefour soc guys :-)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My wheel carriers now mount ok to the superstructure - but until i get the deck on i wont fully know as there is a bit of flex in it. The deck is awaiting 1mm brass angle, after i did some comparative measurements on the photos.

From the dimensions of the vacuum formed well, it definitely has enough extra diameter to have a inner skin of the required material - in this case brick. The question is, how do i go about the circular brickwork in the bottom of the well!

I may have to wait until Scalefour North for a perusal and potential brain picking of the Halifax King Cross solution, but I'm sure there will be other options out there.

I could do with some better photos of the well at Keighley I think..

As an aside, the turntable kit is designed so that the wheel carriers are isolated, & that these are used for pickups with suitable isolation gaps in the turntable running rail so the 2 ends are at different feeds as required.

As I'm using DCC, & dont want to rule out sound etc, my plan is to use the outer pickup as 1 feed through both wheel carriers, & use a plunger pickup arrangement for the second feed somewhere near the centre of the well. These will work via a reverse loop module.

I am generally wiring to allow for DC operation with 1 engine in steam (ie no section switches, but so i can test locos without decoders). The turntable isnt necessarily required for this, but I might allow for switching out the return loop module & having a manual switchover switch for DC mode.

Before anyone asks, I havent yet decided on my method for repearably stopping the turntable in the right place. Nor even turning it at all for that matter...

The progress has been with ordering, receiving and constructing plywood laser cut baseboards from Grainge and Hodder:

http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

If designing my own I would have sorted out the backscene, lid and front at the same time - but the cost of these looked worth a punt, and far more likely to get me moving sometime this decade!

So I now have 2 baseboards, each 900mm x 400mm.

The plywood as supplied is a bit droopy, and the slots and tabs are not an interference fit, so I weighted them with books for a few days to try and flatten them, and then glued them together.  The instructions recommend glue and pins, but the few pins I tried kept failing to stay within the mating piece of 6mm ply so I will see how they go for now.  There will probably be extra bits screwed on as I build the boxes anyway, which I will get to...

But first, here they are:

The first two show that they do slot together, but do not hold themselves as a baseboard:

attachicon.gif20150706_180026(1).jpg

attachicon.gif20150706_180257(1).jpg

Then we have the current progress - both boards built:

attachicon.gif20150716_180419(1).jpg

attachicon.gif20150716_180455(1).jpg

These still have remnants of kitchen paper on them, use to protect the books used to weight/clamp them during the gluing process, so the next job is to clean them up.  I will then add the alignment dowels and toggle catches, and in some ways I will then be ready to put some cork down and start laying track! However, before I do, I want to finish the structures as per the following image:

attachicon.gifbaseboard boxes.png

The red box is a cross section of the baseboards as they are, end on.

This will then have a fixed backscene, as shown in black.

The blue section is the lid, with 2 bracing batons.  This will be hinged from the backscene, and would allow it to fold fully back on itself if required (in my setup as shown above, it will lean against the wall, with something to stop it falling back).

The green section shows the front, which will hinge down and would allow for layout info to be shown, should I ever get this to an exhibitable state...

So that's the plan, now I need to formulate the hinge arrangement to make it happen, and look tidy when both in use and when away.  I also need to work out a catch arrangement for the blue/green interface.  I wont really want to have to screw/unscrew it to use it, but I dont really want toggle catches there unless I can find some nice black ones to hide.

I want it boxed for a few reasons - firstly it keeps the dust off, and secondly it creates their own travelling boxes should they go anywhere, and thirdly these are currently sat in the corner of my bedroom (and will be until my housemates get the hint and get their own houses!) so it isn't always appropriate.

So there we are with current progress - and having got my Ultrascales I am currently trying to move along with the 2P too!

Have you ever thought of using these? They're really good for baseboard joins.

https://unico.uk.com/table-fittings/table-cleats/UTF400000021/table-cleats

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

Hi Alex, thanks for the link. I have seen something similar at some stage in the past, but they havent crossed my mind since starting this project, so thanks!

Currently the layout does use chrome toggle catches, but it isnt too late to have a rethink.

One of the benefits of a small project is that I can do a bit of experimenting, & come up with a good solution that works for me goin forward - I think Ill get a set or 2 to play with.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Guys

Been out of the country again but now back for a bit, so able to log in and have a catch up.

Thanks to Tom & Ron for their recollections about the coal drops.  I agree this could be a great little scene, with a bit of action as well perhaps.

I've also wondered how to do the footbridge, and also, if the south end of the footbridge was altered at some stage in its life.  My site plan from the 1930s shows the bridge ending on Bolling Road with a straight-on connection and some steps down to footpath level.  My own photos of the bridge from about 1985 show a small stone abutment (which is still there) and a right angle connection to the bridge deck.  That end of the bridge is also a different colour from the rest.  I wonder if anyone can remember when this was changed?

Hey Pete that turntable looks superb.  You might want to try scribing the circular brickwork with a decent pair of dividers.  Plenty of moss and coal dust will probably hide a multitude of sins down there as well.  I wouldn't fancy having to scribe them all by hand.

Cheers

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Before anyone asks, I havent yet decided on my method for repearably stopping the turntable in the right place. Nor even turning it at all for that matter...

You must have read my mind, having just caught up with this thread that was going to be my question! I'll be watching with interest as I have some wagon turntables to do at some point. Turntable looks great.

Thanks Andrew & Mark.

With the drive mechanism I do have a couple of ideas - I'm happy with both from an electronic point of view (it's the day job) but I'm trying to work out which will be easiest for my bodge it and scarper approach to mechanical engineering to get reliably working!

It is either:

a) a standard motor and have a large disc under the turntable with notches where the exit roads need to line up, and have a microswitch to flick out into the notches (which should be pretty precise), or:

b) a stepper motor (*probably through a secondary gearbox) which would need stepping around a given number of steps, which could be fiddled via trial and error.

*Good stepper motors that I have seen are still in about 1 degree steps, which for a 50ft diameter turntable (200mm) means 1.7mm of circumference per degree.  This would also help reduce any visible 'stepping' of the turntable around its well.

Option A would win on cost, but getting a reliable solution is higher up the priority list!

• Like 1

Hello folks. Sorry I have been missing for a while. it appears I have had nasty virus in my blood that attacks my joints giving me excruciating pain

all over my body. First the turntable, a beautiful piece of work ,[ wish they made things like that in 1 scale] But Pete,  the color in the

50s would have been dirty oily black. during the war anything that could stand out as  a land mark with bright  colors had to be painted 

black. Check  the photo of the engine nose down in the turntable , the fitters where working on the turntable re greasing the moving parts 

and painting the stone work , under the engine has not yet been painted, note the paint dribbles on the end of decking

Andrew . The foot bridge as I knew it up until the 70s was wrought iron with timber decking, the same height all the way across with the steps

coming of at right angles straight down to railway  road. The fire station was on golden buts road I remember about 5 or 6 of us kids been on

springs lane hearing the fire siren going of,  ran up and over the bridge to watch the fire engine going out from the top of the bridge. Only to find

fire engine stop at the bottom of the bridge, the fire men run up the bridge steps with hoses  to put out the fire on the bridge timbers we hah just 

we had just run over. They then closed the bridge, we had to walk all the way round via brook st to get home

More Later Ron.

Sorry to hear you've been ill Ron, but good to have you back!

Thanks for the thoughts = I think I had decided black was most likely after looking at photos of the Keighley one a lot recently, though I need to not look at that one too closely as it is in a brick well!

I had noticed the white painting of the well in the photo with the engine nose down, but hadnt actually put the two together. It all makes sense now you mention it.

Looking moe closely at the photo of the Hunt, and Cecil, on the turntable also shows that the grass in the foreground includes a plentiful supply of dandilions - I know that someone does etched ferns in 4mm scale but I'm not sure about these! :-)

The Ilkley turntable has 7 uprights per handrail, while the kit is designed with having 6, and also having deck supports which line up with them. The question is, would the deck supports be part of the 'standard' gubbins supplied (and therefore still be 6 in this example) or would they still line up with the handrail supports.  I would have hoped to get an incling from the photo, but the ange is evidently just too steep (but at the same time too shallow to show the well floor!!)

I have a spot of man flu at the moment, and while it isnt making me resort to Jeremy Kyle in place of going to work, I have skived off football tonight so made a bit more progress on this (and bits of my 3F easi-chas) than I otherwise would have done!

Pete

Stepper motor every time.  I was talking this very problem through with a mate of mine who's got a few clues with electronics etc and he said that there are ways of adulterating the motor drive electronically to further divide the step into some fraction, ie half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth etc.  When I next see him I'll see if he can elaborate.

You want to definitely avoid punched cards whizzing around like John Logie Baird's analogue television......

When I figure out how to include a photo or two I shall do so Ron, to let you relive your memories of the burning bridge.  I have a couple of shots of the bridge, from on the bridge, so to speak.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes please do - I can't immediately think how that would be doable by just driving a stepper motor differently, but I'd definitely be interested in hearing more!

For photos have a look in the 'Apps & Content' toolbar at the top of RMWeb - the image editor in there is pretty good and user friendly to get photos below the magic 1MB.

Cheers,

Hi Andrew,

I have found this link:

http://www.orientalmotor.com/technology/articles/step-motor-basics.html

Half stepping looks easy enough (and I'm surprised that isnt counted as standard operation to be honest, but its good to know.

Microstepping (about 3/4 of the way down that page) looks like it might be useful with smoothing the motion, but I don't think it sounds like a particularly robust way of sorting the final alignment.  It sounds like the next step is to get hold of one and experiment though.

Can anyone explain how to upload photos?  Sorry - that this query probably belongs elsewhere but I'm struggling. 

I copied a JPG, adjusted its size in the image editor and then pasted it in a Reply panel.

When I went to 'Post' it, I got an error message saying that I could not use these image extensions on this forum.

If you cannot post a JPG, what can you do?

I must be doing something wrong.  How do you post your photos Pete?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Presuming youre not using the mobile version of RMWeb (and if so it will need the 'theme' changing at the bottom - view full version) - first click reply with attachments:

post-130-0-02450600-1457687387_thumb.png

post-130-0-13761700-1457687935_thumb.png

Then click choose files (1),This should bring up the usual file finding window, and once uploaded they can be added to the post (2) and that will add the link to the text window (3).

post-130-0-28835200-1457687936_thumb.png

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by Jub45565

Hello folks. Sorry I have been missing for a while. it appears I have had nasty virus in my blood that attacks my joints giving me excruciating pain

all over my body. First the turntable, a beautiful piece of work ,[ wish they made things like that in 1 scale] But Pete,  the color in the

50s would have been dirty oily black. during the war anything that could stand out as  a land mark with bright  colors had to be painted 

black. Check  the photo of the engine nose down in the turntable , the fitters where working on the turntable re greasing the moving parts 

and painting the stone work , under the engine has not yet been painted, note the paint dribbles on the end of decking

Andrew . The foot bridge as I knew it up until the 70s was wrought iron with timber decking, the same height all the way across with the steps

coming of at right angles straight down to railway  road. The fire station was on golden buts road I remember about 5 or 6 of us kids been on

springs lane hearing the fire siren going of,  ran up and over the bridge to watch the fire engine going out from the top of the bridge. Only to find

fire engine stop at the bottom of the bridge, the fire men run up the bridge steps with hoses  to put out the fire on the bridge timbers we hah just 

we had just run over. They then closed the bridge, we had to walk all the way round via brook st to get home

More Later Ron.

Good to see that folks are active again. We have just returned from a rail trip to Scandinavia.

To complement Ron's comments, I remember using the foot bridge in the late 50's and mid 60's on a daily basis and recall that the steps were at a right angle to the bridge and faced towards Ben Rhydding on both the Bolling Road side and Railway Road sides. The bridge was changed later when it needed to be lifted to accommodate the electrification.

As a point of interest, I am currently constructing a model of the bridge from photographs and attach a photo of my work in progress. The basic bridge is complete but there is a lot of finishing off to do.  It may interest folks to know that the I made the crisscross mesh from 10thou plasticard using a computer driven cutter and then glued it onto clear plastic to give it strength.

If anyone has photographs of the bridge it's self I would be interested.  Most of the photographs taken in that area were taken from the bridge!  I have a couple showing locos on the through line and one of a derailed DMU which was close to the bridge and shows some detail.

Out of interest can anyone confirm what the small shed was used for at the end of platforms 2/3 and was placed next to the bridge?

All the best, Tom

post-27867-0-45545300-1458117418.jpg

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 1

Tom

I have a very vague memory of a fog signalmans shelter about there. Looked like sentry box

with a brazier in front of it ??. If so the fog signalmans [ usually a plate layer on

over time] job was to place a detonator or fog signal on the rail just before a stop signal

when at danger, removing it when the signal was pulled off. unless the train was too close.

Then it, leave it there, dets are cheaper than fingers.

Love the photo, that looks a very good likeness of the Midland Hotel, had more than a few

pints in there, But BLUE buses in front of the library . Tut Tut

Later Ron.

Tom

I have a very vague memory of a fog signalmans shelter about there. Looked like sentry box

with a brazier in front of it ??. If so the fog signalmans [ usually a plate layer on

over time] job was to place a detonator or fog signal on the rail just before a stop signal

when at danger, removing it when the signal was pulled off. unless the train was too close.

Then ###### it, leave it there, dets are cheaper than fingers.

Love the photo, that looks a very good likeness of the Midland Hotel, had more than a few

pints in there, But BLUE buses in front of the library . Tut Tut

Later Ron.

Ron,

Thanks for the thoughts on the shed, I will build one as I complete the bridge and will look for a brazier.

I am at the stage of using the items that I have to see the effect on the model as I slowly refine my collection to improve the accuracy as I learn more;  that goes for locos and wagons etc. as well as smaller items. 

In my defence, I would point out that one of the blue buses is a Samual Ledgard which took a wrong turn at the bottom of Brook Street but the other is really lost (Hull and East). I do have one West Yorkshire double decker which was further along Bolling Road and am looking for others.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys.  Thanks Pete for the hints on uploading photos.  I'm sure there is a 'help' file somewhere but your pointers were better!

Here are some photos taken OF the old footbridge, including one taken while standing ON it.  These date from about 1984-5 from memory.  The cars in the car park appear to bear this out.  Plats 3 and 4 were devoid of track by this stage but the supermarket had not yet been built under the main part of the station roof.

In a couple of shots you can see that the southern end of the bridge is painted silver.  I wondered if this was indicative of this end having been altered, but on reflection I don't think it is.  If you look at the cropped site plan, you will see that the bridge is shown as running straight off Station Rd at right angles, but the bridge is straight.  This is not how I remember it at all, which is well illustrated in the photograph taken from below in the car park.  The stonework behind the shopping trolley was added when the supermarket was built on the goods yard site, but the main dirtier section of stonework and the first little flight of steps up is as I remember original.

If anyone else can cast light on this that'd be great.

The bridge appears to scale at 5' 6" wide.

Cheers

Andrew

post-6569-0-87586200-1459315376_thumb.jpg

post-6569-0-43273900-1459315866_thumb.jpg

post-6569-0-28277000-1459315887_thumb.jpg

post-6569-0-04933400-1459315913_thumb.jpg

post-6569-0-47579700-1459315946_thumb.jpg

post-6569-0-17148500-1459316446_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Andrew.

That site plan must be very old or is wrong. The bridge as I remember was straight to the edge of Springs Lane

Then turned at right angle to the bridge away from the station ending at road level with an exit to the road

much as it seems to be now. The wall, with what I assume to be steps, down to the car park level is new, built

over what was the weigh bridge. Again I assume that is why the bridge at that end has been refurbished.

The cars parked opposite are parked inside the goods shed. As an aside, across Springs Lane from the end of the

bridge was the stable for the horse and cart for the parcel delivery

Again looking at that plan, going away from other end of the bridge towards the signal box TP could mean

tar pipe ??.

Ron

Again looking at that plan, going away from other end of the bridge towards the signal box TP could mean

tar pipe ??.

Ron

Tar pipe? 'TP' most likely means telegraph pole – or was that meant to be an April Fool joke?

Tar pipe? 'TP' most likely means telegraph pole – or was that meant to be an April Fool joke?

Yeah - sorry.  TP is definitely telegraph pole.  There are lots of them on the remaining part of the plan that I didn't post!

I am not sure how old this plan is.  I have a couple of versions, one of which is stamped LNER, but the original survey could have been pre-grouping.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi again chaps

I'm looking at my plan here and could do with something checking, if anyone is going to be in Ilkley at any stage soonish.

What I am wondering (and I don't have a good photo of this to check) is if the wall on the north side of the station (above Railway Road) is dead straight or whether it is curved very slightly in plan.  The drawings I do have indicate that the wall began to curve southwards at about the point where the subway went down through platform 4 and exited through the bottom of the wall and out onto the street.

Now - given that this section is within the overall roof, it seems a bit unlikely that the designers would have put a curve in the wall, as it would have made the roof a bit narrower at the western end and obviously a bit more difficult to construct.

If anyone has a good photo of the Railway Road frontage or maybe inside the supermarket or on the old Platform 4, this might clear up this query for me.  I've had a good search through my archives and I've nothing that is unequivocal in this area.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Sorry about  the T P  I know it was a fanciful thought, my only excuse is was late at night when I posted. But it is in the same  area

as the tar loading  stand pipe was.  And I would have thought that someone using a name like Wagonman would know or at least  

checked that there were such things for filling tar tank wagons before being so rude.

As for the wall, have you checked google maps.  Looking at the street view from just beyond Trafalgar Rd towards Brook St 

you can just see a bend in the wall  even more so in the road, checking my ordnance survey maps of Ilkley the track would have

had to curve slightly about there to line up with the bridge and the embankment beyond. I hope that helps and not just another T P. 

Ron.