Worsdell forever's Coaches

• RMweb Gold

I'm slowly building up a collection of Kirk LNER coaches and thought I would share them with you. I don't just build Kirk kits, there will be some D&S and Comet ones as well (sometime).

Although my work may not be up to the standards of some on here (that's you Coach') but I enjoy (mostly) building them. I'm not into buying a kit and then scrapping most of it and spending a fortune on replacement bits, I'll make the best of what I have (after all I'm a tight Yorkshireman!) adding details from plasticard where necessary. The main modification I will do to these kits is to add some MJT truss rods, where they are needed, thanks to Coachmans blog.

First a couple of photos of a pair of D211 composites. The first is in unlined teak (I think my best teak to date) the second is in lined Teak, The lining is a little untidy and would benefit from some tidying up. The third photo is a close up of the first coach.

Comments will, as always, be welcome.

post-7104-127499439034.jpg

post-7104-127499439845.jpg

post-7104-127499440702.jpg

How do you find the Kadees . I tried them on my Kirks and couldnt get them to go around any kind of curve. Cant remember which ones I used which ones are yours please.

They have built up well.

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments.

Mick, some of the couplings are Kadees, the ones in thier own mounting boxes, don't know what numbers they are. The ones that aren't Kadees are brown plastic with plastic springs, if you can identify them from that! I was given a large bag of them by a friend many years ago. They are mounted using 8BA screws through the floor with a washer above the coupling and part of the headstock removed. The centring springs don't do anything on these but I have thought about fitting something around them.

• RMweb Gold

You've made a fine job of the teak graining and it looks about scale for 4mm. I'm always keen to read about coaches.

When that man says it's good - you've arrived! Absolutely agree this most difficult of finishes looks very good here - well done!

• RMweb Gold

This is almost getting embarassing! Thanks for all your compliments Guys.

Larry, it is the whole kit with added underframe detail from microstrip and Comet door handles. they still need grab handles adding by the doors and the coach in the first photo may at some point get some shorter buffers. It also hasn't any passengers yet so the roof isn't stuck down either.

Part of my enjoyment of building these kits is deciphering which diagram number they are meant to be so they can have the correct number and underframe. So I usually refer to diagram numbers instead of kit number.

The next three I'm working on are a D23 vestibuled third (the one with a door to each compartment), a D155 end door vestibule third and another D211 vestibule composite. The basic bodies are together and painted in yellow undercoat. I'm waiting for truss rods from MJT (Dart Castings) for the thirds. I'm currently adding the spring dampers to the bogies, 48 1.5mm diameter plastic discs and no spares blink.gif I may put a white sheet down before I go any further biggrin.gif .

You could say these were a bargain £3 each with wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Paul. I have looked at the Kirk site and there are some interesting Gresley's there. The D211 like yours has taken my fancy. Besides I've not fitted Kirk sides to a Hornby donor as yet.

The only problem is the thickness of the sides, you'll have to remove the whole Hornby side.

• RMweb Gold

You've made a fine job of the teak graining and it looks about scale for 4mm.

I'm always keen to read about coaches. I presume the end vestibule Gresley composite is Kirk No. 8840. Did you build it from the whole kit?

Just got home and had a look, Kit No 8840 is the D211.

Work in progress. Kirk D186 sides let into Hornby Coach. A tip for users of Kirk sides is to file out the various windows to ensure the sides are flat (not shown in photo). As supplied there is a moulding draft that exaggerates the thickness. You also need to do this on the top edge of the sides. Once fitted, as in the above example, you need to reduce the width of the underframe as detailed by Coachmann.

post-3717-127508174983_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The truss rod & underframe kits arrived yesterday so I should see some progress soon! In the meantime I have been working on the bogies, all the spring dampers are on with not one lost! The bogies have been painted black and await thier coaches.

Is there a collective noun for coach bogies?

post-7104-1275245872.jpg

D23 third

post-7104-127524584384.jpg

D155 third

post-7104-127524585592.jpg

D211 composite

post-7104-127524586494.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. When you are praised by 'the man' you have arrived. It's good to see these sides under construction and mixed with other bits. It encourages me to try a few having seen the mouldings which look quite good but only having seen 'finished' examples going for quite good money on that auction site. I've got some old Kirk Maunsells and the mouldings are not as good I'm sure, but that might just be my memory; (will have to visit loft).

I'm keeping watching.

Would a 'flicking' of bogies be any use for a collective (even though it's a verb)? :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

36E

• RMweb Gold

Coach building is moving on well. Teaking is progressing well, the D23 is now fully 'Teaked' using Coachmann's method of Humbrol No9 with a little No10 and I'm mightily impressed with the finish.

post-7104-127542735929.jpg

post-7104-127542737208.jpg

post-7104-127542738159.jpg

I'm also making progress with the truss rods/underframe kit, everything is together, it now needs cleaning up, painting and fitting. Next time I will remove the locating pip under the vacuum cylinder and position it last so it will be in the correct position.

post-7104-127542756591.jpg

post-7104-12754275738.jpg

post-7104-127542758257.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Are they all the same coach as far as I know there are different end roof profiles probably due to were they were made and also can I print off the photos as I must get a new roof and end made for the Kirk kits and more information I can get the better ps is it the SVR coaches or the NYMR ones.

Hi Kits,

They are the LNERCA coaches on the NYMR and they are as near correct as they can get them. There is a D115 third (partly restored), a couple of open thirds and Buffet. You may print off the photos for your research if it helps improve the kits.

My LNER teak coaches Gallery.

Bravo...Thanks for sharing these with us by posting in Gallery. I hope you don't mind me saving these on my PC as one cannot get enough of such superb detal shots. Interesting to see the end-on view as these wooden coach windows were more flush that probably many people realized.

Full marks too to the NYMR for the restoration of these Gresley coaches. I'm maybe better known for MR and LMS coaches, but on a personal level LNER coaches are tops!smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry,

Glad they are going to be of use to you, There's lots of details I have noticed just photographing them, the down pipes from the gutters, mainly when there is a door at the end. I thought the one of the Buffet and the Open third in the platform at Grosmont (teak19.jpg) would be usefull for weathering. The buffet has been in service about 15 years and the third only a couple.

EDIT:- LNER Coach association link.

• RMweb Gold

Just to show I don't just build Gresley coaches, A D&S NER Diagram 77 brake third. It is painted with Precision P60 'LNER coach teak' but I belive this is a good representation of the colour used on pre-group coaches in LNER days.

post-7104-127567197591.jpg

Archived