Rail Express ltd edition models

birdseyecircus

I got a flyer today with 'Rail exclusive Special edition model commissions' on the front.

On opening it turns out that it was from Rail Express and as well as listing the models it explained that with the mag now sold to another publisher, the Ltd edition models side of things will be kept with the current publisher- Forsight Publications.

The note goes on to say ' Although Rail Express magazine is transferring to a new publisher from the August issue the model side of the business remains part of Forsight publications and will be promoted under the 'Rail Exclusive' brand. You will continue to see adverts in not just RE but other titles...'

Seems strange that the model commisions 'have gone it alone'

What do others make of it?

Paul

Seeing as anyone else (Other than Publications) who deals with Bachmann is required to have retail premesis,

I'm curious as to whether Mr Sutton still be allowed to commission models given the change in circumstances?

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as anyone else (Other than Publications) who deals with Bachmann is required to have retail premesis,

I'm curious as to whether Mr Sutton still be allowed to commission models given the change in circumstances?

Gareth, as that policy for stocking their catalogue range I doubt it would apply to someone commisioning a model and paying up front for an exclusive. I understood it was to prevent someone dealing from their garage and undercutting the shops due to cheaper overheads the catalogue range.

I suppose that as they are still calling themselves a publisher maybe this is counted as a retail premises anyway?

Chris Dyer from Minehead has an account and he only does Swapmeets!!

• 4 weeks later...

[Feel free to split this post if it denotes a new topic]

Has there been any past discussion or one presently that relates to approaching REM about the possibility of doing N scale Limited Edition models? It is frequently reported about how modern image N products are doing so well, so it would be nice to see more support by the production of some of the fine models that REM have commissioned for 00.

Cheers

I note that these Limited Edition models are not anywhere on the internet anymore, are they still being comissioned? The reason I asked is that I pre-ordered a model of the class 03 a while ago, but received no confirmation of order, and when I emailed them to enquire as to whether they were still doing the models and whether they did indeed receive my order, but I didn't get a reply, can anyone update me on the current situation regarding these models?

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Austerity94

Hi folks,

Finally 'bit the bullet' and today ordered the two blue 03s from 'Rail Exclusive', having spent nearly five months drooling over the pics. The lass I spoke with was very helpful and friendly. She also advised that the current webpage is only a holding page (until they get the time to put up something fuller); also said that the 03s were expected mid-September. The page also has their address, telephone and email contacts.

As usual, I have no connection with this company other than as a customer.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 months later...

The standard class 03s have arrived into stock at Hattons, and accordingly, the Rail Exclusive website has been updated, saying that the first 03s are being sent now, with dual orders and the second 03 to follow shortly.

Website now advertises a model of 57604.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not on the side of the box is it?? though when I got there 37670 it was insdie the box,

James

No, it isn't displayed anywhere. I'm wondering whether it was like the Hornby Coaling Tower where they only produced x amount, but did not actually cite which number each one was.

Hi,

for reference, I have posted pictures of the locos and the box/detail sheet that comes with the models in the Products section, at Item #96 here:

Rail Exclusives Class 03s and Presentation Boxes

I believe that they did away with numbered certificates when the Class 37s were produced for Rail Express (I am thinking of the 37/5s) as, like the 37/5s, the 03s are a Limited Production. That said, 57604 'Pendennis Castle' is a numbered Limited Edtion and is part of their running set of releases.

I have to admit, the definition of Limited Production and Limited Edtion does seem to have a very fine line :rolleyes:

Either way, the 03s are certainly a good model and already we have three blue ones!

Cheers,

Ixion

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I have just noticed Rail Exclusive have an alert to watch out for an up-coming announcement on their website home page, regarding the next project.

The website shows just a picture of an envelope, with a 21 March 2011 franking on it (presumably the release date of the announcement). Interestingly, a 'Thunderbird' postage stamp... 'things that make you go hmmm!!' :lol:

I wonder what the address on the front of the envelope signifies (or maybe it's just their company address)?

Cheers,

Ixion.

Guest stuartp

I wonder what the address on the front of the envelope signifies (or maybe it's just their company address)?

It was Tony Hancock's fictional address, he of the 'Half Hour'. No idea what (if any) the connection with Thunderbirds is...

• RMweb Premium

Same advert also appears in the new April edition of Rail Express. If they did steam era models, the postmark would point me in the direction of something Somerset & Dorset related!!

They are already doing a 57 so would be surprised if it was a virgin one especially straight after the GW 57. Was trying to think what it could be, the new 37/0 is due from Bachmann now so could be one of those?

mark

edit- thinking about it is this only what the business is about as would they not need to sell models fairly frequently to stay in business?

Hi reevesthecat,

just for reference, as far as I know, Bachmann have only done the following Virgin Trains liveried Class 57s in 'OO':

57301 'Scott Tracy', without Dellner coupler

57306 'Jeff Tracy', with Dellner coupler / Hereford Model Centre Exclusive

57307 'Lady Penelope', with Dellner coupler

If Rail Exclusives were to do one, I wonder if they may choose a 'without Dellner' version, as only one exists so far. I wonder if the name is hidden in the envelope address/franking mark or even the link to Hancock's Half Hour (thanks 'stuartp' for the reference ;) ).

To me, the date stamp seems like a clue as to when they will announce it. It is also a reasonable period of thinking time after the recent Trade Show and announcements...

As you say, 'reevesthecat', this is a business venture of theirs, so they need to keep new ideas flowing. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be another popular model :)

Cheers,

Ixion.

Hi Ixion

I understand what you are saying but would they follow one 57 with apart from the coupler another 57 which is very similar. I know they do this with the 37's but the 37 does have a much bigger following etc.

However is the stamp or address significant? Will we find out monday? We are all assuming it's a loco but could be rolling stock couldn't it?

I Don't really mind what comes next I will decide to buy or not.

Cheers

mark

Hi reevesthecat,

re-reading my message I may have made it sound like I was bitter, underlining and bolding the 'If' word... which I am happy to say I wasn't :) :O !!

I guess I was just trying to make sure people don't assume it's a 57 :)

I agree with you though - doing another 57 would seem unlikely, despite the 37 situation you mentioned. That said, it would be welcoming for them to do something else, such as a wagon(s), coach(es) or even buldings. I guess from past experience, locos have tended to be Rail Express' usual area of interest (Spine Wagons aside...!).

Who knows, maybe a pack of figures, representing the team of people at Rail Exclusives!!

Time will tell... you never know, it might just be a generic advert about their business and everything is just purely coincidental :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ixion.

Archived