Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Funny Layout Cameos

St. Simon

Hi,

Having read an article in the Railway Modeller, where the author says he doesn't like funny layout cameos, I thought what funny cameos are out there on layouts?

So, what funny layout cameos have you seen? They can be on your layout, or someone elses, but please no rude ones

Lets have a light-hearted look at our hobby!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but I agree with Graham Hedges in the Modeller. It's the prosaic & everyday that convinces. I find the humour in frozen action cameos somewhat forced. I'd make a possible exception for a clever word play placed very subtly on a poster or billboard. With a bit of care, these could be easily refreshed.

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

What about this scene at Wickhill?

663_Resting__Workman_1_1.jpg

Avoids the 'frozen action' trap, but still frequently raises a smile...

That's very nice. I'm not sure if it's funny, but it's a great cameo all the same.

ive put a few on warmington, funny or not, its up to the viewer!!

I am a bit more concerned as to why there's a bus stop on the platfrom TBH :blink:

While I dont like cameos and much prefer 'everyday' for realism, I do think there is a place for a few now and then in the context of a whole show.

Its like Television - we cant all be entertained by Discovery channel all of the time, Some times people just want to watch Nickelodeon. :D

Cheers

Jim

I

Its like Television - we cant all be entertained by Discovery channel all of the time, Some times people just want to watch Nickelodeon. :D

Cheers

Jim

Or you have a 13 year old daughter and she force feeds you with TeenNick - I'd rather watch SpongeBob, frankly.

I refuse to have more than one TV in our house..........

Best, Pete.

Funny or even action "frozen moment" cameos to me are like running specials all the time, life's not like that, and what I like to see is a recreation of what was the ordinary. Posters, shop names, that bloke having a break, a hole in the road, they're help me enjoy a layout, even someone relieving themselves behind a tree would be OK if it was really discreet. Obviously a lot of people like them and think they liven up the scene, and certainly we are often encouraged by articles to create cameos, but they don't do it for me.

Isn't that the point though - 'everyday' is all about cameos, amusing, sad, traumatic, mundane.

You missed off 'boring'!

The chap taking a break from the fence building is an everyday cameo. I cant see why anyone would find it amusing and I doubt that was ever the intention. That's the beauty of it though.

I have touched on this in one of my blog entries - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/358/entry-4555-real-but-undesirable/

Cheers

Jim

Seriously my view is: Something that is a surprise is funny but if there are many of them then it is tiresome - an exception is the "Sin City" the Toronto diorama that works because it fits rundown North American cities of that era - but it is not what even New York is like nowadays.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I am a bit more concerned as to why there's a bus stop on the platfrom TBH :blink:

the bus stop has gone now, from a distance i wanted it to look like one of those passenger information/help points!

the flasher is only stuck down with blacktac so he tends to move round the layout at different shows.

must admit the "frozen in time" view on cameos tends to work on my layout apart from the one of the woman hitting the kid with a brolly, most other people on the layout are in standing poses

the thing with my layout is i share it with my 6 year old when its at home so i get all sorts of cameos appearing while im not looking, the car park sometime hosts "lightning McQueen" and currently the platform has R2D2 and darth vader waiting for a train (i say they are off to a star wars convention nearby!

Cameos are like pun names; okay if they're quite subtle and not too contrived.

Some are just far too common on layouts... the one of the man with the "The End is Nigh" sandwich board

who's been knocked over is just tiresome now (and how many times have you ever seen anyone like that anyway?). I'm not too keen on 'blue' ones especially at exhibitions; in the middle of a show was not the place to have to explain to my 5-yr old why the caravan was rocking on Dainton Bank, for instance. :angry:

I saw a subtle one once (can't remember the layout now); there were skid marks approaching a bend in the road, and a demolished fence on the corner, that's all. :P

Archived