Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2011 Announcements

Andy Y

Max Stafford :

Two 4-6-0s from the same constituent group - one passenger, one mixed traffic.

It certainly hasn't hurt the Western fraternity with the Castle and the Grange.

Additionally, the Southern lads have the virtually identical modified MNs and BBs.

Well said that man. The virtually identical modified MNs and BBs are just that whereas the B17 and B1 are visually more different than a Jubilee and a Black Five.

Bernard Lamb ::

Not etched, but plastic from the old Ian Kirk range.

Benachie :

I think Bill Bedford does the D113 sides.

Thanks gentlemen. My reason for asking was MJT sides have been out of stock for a good while. I had forgotten about Bill B.

Guest Belgian

Hornby's pricing for the forthcoming year does seem to reflect the rises in Chinese labour coasts and the value of the Yuan. However, I was somewhat surprised to see that in the "Thomas"-series (am I allowed to use that word?) "James" is being offered at £117-99 as part of the Royal Mail Stamps collection - surprised both by the inclusion of a fictitious locomotive in the series of stamps and by the price of what is, presumably, a "toy" model at such a price. I understood that the "Thomas" and Railroad ranges were supposed to be budget priced using simplified or old tooling to keep the costs down. Surely "James" must be one of the cheapest to make as (I believe) the tooling dates back to the old 3F tender locomotive of the 1950s.

I'm also surprised at a "Thomas" item being included in a limited-edition series, surely the series is targeted at very young people, who have little or no concept of special stamps or limited editions - or is this intended for the collectors?

• RMweb Gold

Added to which is another simple point; Tornado is unique in that its a new build and unless you're into lets pretend its natural stablemates are going to be Class 66s and the like rather than other steam locos. However, Tornado is (or so I'm assured) an A1 and while Hornby have so far said they don't intend to produce any "back" variants, I can see a fair number of serious modellers shelling out £75 on a Hornby one which they can then hack about and detail to their hearts content rather than £129 for a Bachmann which apparently isn't quite right, just as people are already doing with the Hornby 9F so I really don't see why so many knickers are getting twisted over this one.

Absolutely, and if the photos on the website are anything to go by then to keep costs down Hornby are using their standard Gresley eight wheel non-corridor tender top rather than an accurate model of 60163's unit, which will make it that much easier to use as the basis for renumbering/detailing projects. I plan to treat myself to a couple of the Railroad ones for just that purpose; that's two perfectly acceptable (to me) A1s for the price of one Bachmann one.

• RMweb Gold

what the spivs will do is slap their own increases into the pipeline as well in the firm belief the people will blame the VAT and the coilition. Call me cynical but......... :rolleyes:

It is worth remembering that Hornby is historically predatory so nothing should suprise people on here.;)

You've now given me images of various Hornby executives all dressed like Walker in Dad's Army, dodging into back alleys to sell a couple of Tornados on the cheap!! ;) :lol:

Absolutely, and if the photos on the website are anything to go by then to keep costs down Hornby are using their standard Gresley eight wheel non-corridor tender top rather than an accurate model of 60163's unit, which will make it that much easier to use as the basis for renumbering/detailing projects. I plan to treat myself to a couple of the Railroad ones for just that purpose; that's two perfectly acceptable (to me) A1s for the price of one Bachmann one.

If the photographs are anything to go by its a whole new tooling - look at the tender chassis and the roller bearing axle boxes, and the smaller coal load, as per Tornado's actual tender.

r3070-7294.jpg

In comparison:

r3013-7265.jpg

EDIT: And just to say it, one more time...this really will be the most accurate model of Tornado yet, if the above photograph is anything to go by.

Re Class 67 R3038,39 and 40.

I thought i would update with the responce i finally got from Hattons regarding the new high priced Class 67s.

"We have been advertising this product from Hornby as the company was told it was due for release this year. However, following the release of the Hornby 2011 line-up, this does not appear to be the case. Please note that we are aware of this discrepancy and are currently awaiting clarification from Hornby regarding this product before we are able to resolve the situation. I hope this helps."

Seem the people selling them know even less than us. All very strange. Hopefully they get a responce from Hornby soon, I shall try to update again when they pass on this information. I dont know whether to quickly put my WSMR Cl 67 pack up on ebay before its worth nothing from a new re-tool or not?

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's pricing for the forthcoming year does seem to reflect the rises in Chinese labour coasts and the value of the Yuan. However, I was somewhat surprised to see that in the "Thomas"-series (am I allowed to use that word?) "James" is being offered at £117-99 as part of the Royal Mail Stamps collection - surprised both by the inclusion of a fictitious locomotive in the series of stamps and by the price of what is, presumably, a "toy" model at such a price. I understood that the "Thomas" and Railroad ranges were supposed to be budget priced using simplified or old tooling to keep the costs down. Surely "James" must be one of the cheapest to make as (I believe) the tooling dates back to the old 3F tender locomotive of the 1950s.

I'm also surprised at a "Thomas" item being included in a limited-edition series, surely the series is targeted at very young people, who have little or no concept of special stamps or limited editions - or is this intended for the collectors?

Yes, that puzzled me - especially as James was not one of the stamps the Royal Mail issued in August. The locomotives from the collection that Hornby could include are: 9F or Coronation Pacific. I doubt they would tool up for the LMS NCC WT 2-6-4!! But no James. Or anything like him. Weird. And expensive.

This was a report in the Daily Mail on 23rd December it highlights the Hornby mindset and the fact that contrary to some opinions on here they are doing well in some quarters this year.

Elaine Whiteman, toy buyer for John Lewis, reports that Hornby train sets, first introduced in 1920, are up 500 per cent on last year. They also whistled into 17th place on Channel 4’s 100 Greatest Toys programme last weekend, as they continue to enchant children who love ­building up their own model railways.

‘Hornby has stood the test of time,’ says Frank Martin, Hornby’s CEO. ‘We continue to push ourselves to deliver enticing products for future generations, not forgetting the foundations that have kept us at the heart of the toy-­buying British public’s Christmas lists. We have everything from junior sets like Toy Story 3 to more advanced and traditional ranges such as the Flying Scotsman.’

Fusing tradition with futurism, the Toy Story 3 set, £69.99, is its biggest seller this Christmas. (John Lewis, Toys R Us, Hamleys, prices vary)

I have always felt that Hornby do the best job of all the manufacturers of getting younger people interested in the hobby. If 1% of the kids who got a Toy Story set continue with the hobby then they may be in it for life to the benefit of all the manufacturers.

Interesting programme from them for next year and I don't think they are being aggressive or provocative as some have suggested. In their choices of models they are doing what they do well.

Problem is can I find an excuse to run the Brighton Belle on my bit of the Central Wales Line - I know before anyone says its electric and really needs a 3rd rail but surely I can use a bit of poetic licence !!!!

Bilbo, I read that report in the Daily Mail and another rag and it certainly is very good news for Hornby, especially as sales fell through the floor a year ago (remember the heavy discounts that were reported to have been given to leading retailers ....even 2 for 1 was suggested at the time).

I've no doubt sales have really picked up, but I wouldn't get too carried away. If its 500% of next to nothing, it may not add up to the spectacular figure it conjures up in ones mind !!!

I have always felt that Hornby do the best job of all the manufacturers of getting younger people interested in the hobby. If 1% of the kids who got a Toy Story set continue with the hobby then they may be in it for life to the benefit of all the manufacturers.

This is the thing I have difficulty with.

Hornby want to sell toys to children. There's nothing wrong with that, they are a toy company after all.

Possessing a toy train set is no more participating in the "hobby" as having a pedal car (is there such a thing these days) means they are participating in motor sport.

My kids had loads of Lego when they were younger, they weren't in the building industry. They had colouring in books, but it don't ever recall thinking of them as artists?

Rather than "....continue with the hobby...." is it not more likely "...take up the hobby..." ?

Thomas and Percy are also in the Hornby Stamp Collection at £70.75 and £61.49.

People can talk all they like about the toy and collector end of the market 'subsidising' the modeller sector but that makes me quite angry on several levels.

This is the thing I have difficulty with.

Hornby want to sell toys to children. There's nothing wrong with that, they are a toy company after all.

Possessing a toy train set is no more participating in the "hobby" as having a peddle car (is there such a thing these days) means they are participating in motor sport.

My kids had loads of Lego when they were younger, they weren't in the building industry. They had colouring in books, but it don't ever recall thinking of them as artists?

Rather than "....continue with the hobby...." is it not more likely "...take up the hobby..." ?

I've had a quick look at the Toy Story set and the thing that bothers me is there is no coupling compatability with other items in the Hornby range, which could be quite difficult to explain to a newcomber to the hobby should they wish to purchase other products. The toy story set will rapidly be consigned to a siding or back of the cupboard, and the owner will loose interest. At least the Bachmann Underground Ernie cars had tension locks, which was fun at the club when we were seeing how much one could pull.

• RMweb Premium

I see Model Rails piece about Hornby 2011 categorically rules out a Blue Pullman as the tools are not up to standard.

Looking forward to reading Roberts bit on BR liveries just as soon as I get time to myself!

Guest dilbert

Possessing a toy train set is no more participating in the "hobby" as having a peddle car (is there such a thing these days) means they are participating in motor sport.

You will find peddle cars in all car boot sales - ''pedal cars' would be more difficult. :P

People can talk all they like about the toy and collector end of the market 'subsidising' the modeller sector but that makes me quite angry on several levels.

Interesting that a 28xx/38xx loco is £2 more expensive than a LE 'Mail' James - it makes you wonder how much licencing fees contribute to the overall cost. I find it strange as well, but Hornby is doing what Hornby has always done well, and that is to exploit the brand name... dilbert

Off topic except as an update, but her indoors has told be large Matches went up from .45p a box to .50p a couple of weeks ago in Tesco. Then yesterday they were .75p. Tomorrow they'll have more VAT added.

Imagine the compound effect of such increases on other household items. Fresh veg will almost certainly increase in January due to Decembers snow and ice anyway. As someone else said, the penny will eventually drop with the public and they'll simply cut down on purchases wherever they can. So yes, the cheaper Railroad items in Hornby's range should ensure some kind of cash-flow while their dearer range will almost certainly suffer. It remains to be seen what the model railway competition does as regards prices.

The question is, when people tighten their belts, which market cuts down the most, the toy market of the hobby market?

• RMweb Gold

I see Model Rails piece about Hornby 2011 categorically rules out a Blue Pullman as the tools are not up to standard.

They're probably waiting for Bachmann to release their version so then they can do a railroad version of their own. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that a 28xx/38xx loco is £2 more expensive than a LE 'Mail' James - it makes you wonder how much licencing fees contribute to the overall cost. I find it strange as well, but Hornby is doing what Hornby has always done well, and that is to exploit the brand name... dilbert

Its a shame there isn't a emoticon with a 'shaking head' as Hornby are taking the proverbial with this.

Is that from insider knowledge or just speculation?

I do know what Bachmann is going to announce (although Graham Hubbard always likes to keep something secret up his sleeve), but my lips are sealed.

I was aware of the Hornby Gresley suburban announcement as well, since they were spotted measuring up prototypes at an East Anglian railway museum last year.

Looking forward to reading Roberts bit on BR liveries just as soon as I get time to myself!

I only glanced at it earlier but did I see a proto version of Tornado. It look like an A1 and was among the announcement pages I think. Like I said I only caught a glance.

I was aware of the Hornby Gresley suburban announcement as well, since they were spotted measuring up prototypes at an East Anglian railway museum last year.

Tsh, folk are always measuring up something or other. You should know better than to encourage that sort of logiclaugh.gif

Archived